PDA

View Full Version : NL East 2K9

djohn14
02-21-2009, 10:47 PM
NL East. Not gonna get real in depth into it....but...

3 and 1/2 teams are in it IMO. Mets, Phillies, Braves, and maybe the Marlins.

Nationals-They signed Adam Dunn, still got Christian Guzman, and Dimitri Young/Nick Johnson. Not much else to say. My X-Factor---Wily Mo Pena, Lastings Milledge, Elijah Dukes....they have talent in the outfield.

Marlins-Hanley Ramirez is a great player, and Dan Uggla can hold his own. I feel their young rotation will keep them in it for a while, but I just dont know if I can see them in it all season. My X-Factor---Unkown. They are going to need one or two more players to step up on offense...who will it be?

Phillies-The defending world champions are going to be right there again, but expect competition from the Mets and Braves. They lost Burrell, but gained Raul Ibanez. Rollins, Utley, and Howard....Victorino...that offense can get it done. Brad Lidge will close out the games, and should do a good job of it. Cole Hammels is great, and having Joe Blanton for the whole season will help. Can Jamie Moyer possibly hold up the entire season? I dont know. My X-Factor---The starting rotation, more specifically Jamie Moyer. Can the crafty old vet hold up? If not, will someone step up in his place?

Mets-They are such a great team, and so great at failing when it matters. Jose Reyes, David Wright, and Carlos Beltran will provide the offense. Carlos Delgado got off to a bad start last season but finished strong. Which Delgado shows up? Can Luis Castillo get on track? They added K-Rod and JJ Putz and they will have a great duo. My X-Factor---Back end of the rotation and middle relief. Who will step up at that back end of the rotation? They need someone to bring them to Putz and K-Rod, and if they dont get any help there, they will fail again.

Braves---Beware this may be a little biased, as I am a massive Braves fan, but I will try to keep this as far from biased as I can. Chipper Jones is getting up there, but is still one of the best in the game. Brian McCann is one of the best catchers in the game. Jeff Francouer had an awful season last year, but he did develope a batters eye. He worked all winter, and showed up to spring training early. He has changed his batting stance, and I truely expect Frenchy to have a great/possibly all star caliber season. Thats already a good offense, not to mention Yunel Escobar, Kelly Johnson, and Kasey Kotchman. The rotation might be their streangth once again as they have signed Derek lowe, Kenshin Kawakami (a great Japanese pitcher), and traded for Javier Vasquez. Not to mention they have the 23 year old sensation Jair Jurrjens returning as well as Tom Glavine, and top prospect Tommy Hanson knocking on the door, and Tim Hudson returning from surgery around the All star break. At the back end of the bullpen is a healthy Mike Gonzalez and a healthy Rafael Soriano, who can both be great. My X-Factor---Middle of the rotation and outfield. I feel their middle of the rotation is better than the Mets. Manny Acosta, Peter Moylan, Boone Logan, Blaine Boyer, a lot of young guns that can pitch, but some one...at least one of them will need to step up. As far as outfield goes, If Jordan Schafer, a top prospect, can earn the center field, then I think they can do fine. Matt Diaz is a quality player, but qualitfy players dont always make quality plays. If one of prospects Gregor Blanco, Josh Anderson, or Brandon Jones, can step up, this will be a fine team.

My Predictions

1. Atlanta Braves
2. New York Mets
3. Philadelphia Phillies
4. Florida Marlins
5. Washington Nationals

chode_regulator
02-21-2009, 11:05 PM
well said

they cant be worse than last year........can they? :(

ClingingMars
02-22-2009, 03:01 AM
yeah, that's a Braves fan right there.

realistic prediction:

NL East champs: Phills

NL Wildcard: Mets

LET'S GO METS!

-Mars

djohn14
02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
yeah, that's a Braves fan right there.

realistic prediction:

NL East champs: Phills

NL Wildcard: Mets

LET'S GO METS!

-Mars

What, I gave props to the Mets and Phillies. Honestly what hurt the Braves last year was starting pitching only going 5 innings, and the bullpen was used way too much. With Lowe, Kawakami, Vasquez, and Jurrjens, thats going to keep that pen a lot fresher which will lead to more rested pitchers, which will lead to success.

AFBlue
02-22-2009, 01:41 PM
To me, the Phillies have the fewest questions in the NL East. Aside from Moyer's age, they are essentially the same team that won it all last year. I'd expect them to get into the playoffs at least...probably by winning the division.

The Mets made alot of potentially high-impact offseason moves, but they have to prove to me they've got the grit and toughness to push through to the playoffs...because the last couple years they were the epitome of soft.

On the Braves, I just don't see it...they have questions almost all the way through their lineup and while their rotation looks stable, I'm not sure it's going to blow anyone away...not without Huddy. What is their outfield going to look like and will it generate enough offense to keep up....specifically, how will Francour perform after a down year?

My prediction, Phils will be NL East champs and the Mets may get the wildcard, but I'm not 100% sold on them.

djohn14
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Fair enough AFBlue...but that outfield question became a little clearer because they signed Garret Anderson.

AFBlue
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Fair enough AFBlue...but that outfield question became a little clearer because they signed Garret Anderson.

Certainly an upgrade from anyone of Brandon Jones, Gregor Blanco, etc. He's not the defensive player he was when younger, but he brings steady offensive production and veteran leadership.

Good signing. :toast

djohn14
02-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Certainly an upgrade from anyone of Brandon Jones, Gregor Blanco, etc. He's not the defensive player he was when younger, but he brings steady offensive production and veteran leadership.

Good signing. :toast
And here I was not only trying to convince not only yall but myself that they would be fine out there. Thats a big relief for me haha.

chode_regulator
02-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Never been a big fan of Garret Anderson but we'll see I guess.

Some douche on Fox Sports is saying the Braves are mch improved over last year. I'm not seeing it on paper. Even withtheir pitching "upgrades"

djohn14
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Never been a big fan of Garret Anderson but we'll see I guess.

Some douche on Fox Sports is saying the Braves are mch improved over last year. I'm not seeing it on paper. Even withtheir pitching "upgrades"

The Braves are much improved.

K-State Spur
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
i like what the braves have done, but i think this division is the Mets' to lose. now, they've obliged the last 2 years, but i think they've just got too many weapons to do it 3 times in a row.

i could see the phillies come crashing down to around .500 though. the line-up is stout, but - outside of hamels - I'm really not sold on their pitching. did anybody really feel that they were the best team in baseball last year, or did they just take advantage of the new yorkers' collapse and then get really hot at the right time?

K-State Spur
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
To me, the Phillies have the fewest questions in the NL East. Aside from Moyer's age, they are essentially the same team that won it all last year. I'd expect them to get into the playoffs at least...probably by winning the division.

this is true, but i don't necessarily expect everybody on that team to be able to duplicate what they did last year.

most of their players are in the middle of their primes. but outside of howard/utley, most of them also have a track record for being able to have a bad season just as likely as having a good one.

gaKNOW!blee
02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
i like what the braves have done, but i think this division is the Mets' to lose. now, they've obliged the last 2 years, but i think they've just got too many weapons to do it 3 times in a row.

i could see the phillies come crashing down to around .500 though. the line-up is stout, but - outside of hamels - I'm really not sold on their pitching. did anybody really feel that they were the best team in baseball last year, or did they just take advantage of the new yorkers' collapse and then get really hot at the right time?

Myers in the second half of the season was one of the best pitchers in the National League.

K-State Spur
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Myers has that ability, no doubt. He also has the ability to be one of the worst pitchers in baseball.

The problem is that he's gone through good long stretches before, and come crashing back down. So it's tough to say that this time he's really figured it out.

djohn14
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
He might punch you if you talk bad about him....Like his wife...wife puncher. But she probably deserved it...she probably threw a curveball on something they had planned. Myers wasnt mad about the change....just the fact that she has a better curve. Lets not get started on the slider. I dont know where the hell I was going with that, but I just dont want to erase it. Anyway, I wouldnt bank on Brett Myers if I where you.

gaKNOW!blee
03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
He might punch you if you talk bad about him....Like his wife...wife puncher. But she probably deserved it...she probably threw a curveball on something they had planned. Myers wasnt mad about the change....just the fact that she has a better curve. Lets not get started on the slider. I dont know where the hell I was going with that, but I just dont want to erase it. Anyway, I wouldnt bank on Brett Myers if I where you.

Worked last year.

He came into spring training in really good shape, and he isn't mad about not being the starter this year. I have confidence in him.

djohn14
03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Just to let yall know, the braves are like 10-2 so far. Yes its only preseason, but Ive seen some encouraging signs.

K-State Spur
03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
eh, baseball preseason means even less than the other major sports.

djohn14
03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
eh, baseball preseason means even less than the other major sports.

Yeah i know, also today they gave up there first Homer...it was to the Phillies. The Braves won 10-2.

RedsLakers24
03-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah i know, also today they gave up there first Homer...it was to the Phillies. The Braves won 10-2.

They have the best pitching in the east which will probaly keep them in the playoff race, but i just dont see Chipper, Casey, Francour in the middle of the line up doing much dammage ,last year they had Tex and they still struggle on offense