PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon: Mason's Big Shots Are On Everyone's Radar

duncan228
02-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Mason's Big Shots Are on Everyone's Radar (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101820.html)
By Michael Wilbon
Washington Post

Roger Mason Jr. wasn't thinking about being part of All-Star Weekend when he was working on his game for hours a day at Run 'N Shoot in District Heights. He wasn't thinking NBA players would start to call him "Big-Shot Rog" when he was diligently working on his conditioning at The Sports Club/LA on 22nd Street NW. He wasn't thinking, when he was trying to impress Washington Wizards coaches during pickup games on the practice court at Verizon Center, that one day a team loaded with NBA champions and Olympians would look to him to take the final shots to beat the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers.

I'd see Mason at the Sports Club in the months following his 17 games with the Chicago Bulls in 2002-03, or after his 23 games with Toronto in 2003-04, and he'd say all he wanted was a phone call, just a chance to show somebody he could be an asset. "If anybody would just give me a shot," Mason said during a conversation the other night, recalling his thinking back then, "I'd show them . . . I'd take it from there."

Mason returned home to Washington last night very much the local boy who made good. Very, very good, in fact. Mason returned as a heavy contributor to the San Antonio Spurs. He returned as one of the NBA's best three-point shooters, as a player dependable enough that Coach Gregg Popovich, a man wearing four championship rings, is completely confident calling on Mason to take the big shot with the game on the line. Yes, the Wizards, the team he rooted for growing up, gave Mason his initial chance and he made the best of it last season when he played 80 games, averaging 21 minutes, essentially subbing for Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels.

It's one of those inspiring stories, in which a kid who is told he's not quite good enough perseveres and ultimately, through sheer work and intelligence, forces his way into the lineup, then more playing time, then his team's favor. He once took a flight home at the conclusion of a season in Israel and the very next day was in multiple gyms from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m., to remind himself that making the NBA was going to be difficult work.

He's exactly what the Spurs crave. Popovich, not an easy coach to please, told USA Today that when Manu Ginóbili and Tony Parker were hurt it was Mason who "kept us afloat. . . . As the year has progressed he has been a quick study on both ends of the court. I didn't realize he was as skilled at the point as he is."

Though the Spurs had tried to get him before, Mason, now 28, so wanted to play for the Wizards he gave them the ultimate "hometown discount" three years ago. He'd gotten an offer from a team in Spain to play for $1.6 million guaranteed. Mason had no aversion to playing overseas; in fact, he loved playing in Greece and in Israel, and did it for a salary that was several times the NBA minimum. Still, he'd put in all that work to try to make it in the NBA. So there he was, he recalled the other night, asking the Wizards, " 'Can you guarantee me something? Anything?' They gave me $43,000."

Mason made the team that fall of 2006, and the kid who attended Sidwell Friends, then Good Counsel and the University of Virginia, played 62 games in a Washington uniform. "Being from here, growing up here, my dream was to play for the hometown team," he said. "I was trying to get back into the league and I was desperate. It was stressful. I went out on a limb financially because I had made some investments in business ventures and needed that income. I really needed to get to January 10 that season" when his contract for the season became fully guaranteed.

He could have gone to San Antonio for the 2007-08 season; his agent and even some of the Wizards thought Mason was nuts for staying here, but with the injuries to Arenas and Daniels, Mason got to showcase an improved all-around game, particularly an increased shooting range.

So, this past summer, when the Spurs came with an offer for the second time, one for $7.3 million for two years, Mason had to pack.

And again, because of injuries, Mason got more minutes than he would have otherwise. In seven games this month, Mason has played 30 or more minutes six times, and he was on the floor 45 minutes at Madison Square Garden against the Knicks last week. For the season he's averaging 30 minutes, 12 points and 3 rebounds per game, but that doesn't come close to measuring the impact he's had with four game-winning shots.

The first was against the Clippers. "It was actually drawn up for me to come off a pick-and-roll and get the ball at the top of the key . . . and I was like: 'This is my chance. . . . Don't blow it." He didn't. A more dramatic shot, at the buzzer to win, came Christmas Day against the Phoenix Suns in a nationally televised game. He hadn't even played much in the fourth quarter when Popovich sent him into the game. A third game-winner beat the Lakers. On the fourth, against the Celtics, Mason grabbed the rebound and was dribbling up the sideline right in front of the Spurs' bench when Popovich said, essentially, "Go ahead, Roger . . . " He called the "quick 2" play, which is Mason's play, and his three-pointer with 20.4 seconds left put San Antonio ahead for good.

Not surprisingly, Mason feels he's a great fit with a coach as intelligent as Popovich, and with teammates as unselfish as Tim Duncan, Parker, Ginóbili, etc. "It starts with Tim," Mason said. "They're all coachable, unselfish, humble . . . even though they're all-stars, three- and four-time champions, and future Hall of Famers."

It seems preposterous to suggest that Mason, so new to this scene, could somehow replace the recently departed Robert Horry, one of the great end-of-game shooters in NBA history, but for all practical purposes it appears that "Big-Shot Rob" (Horry hated Rob, but it stuck) has been succeeded by "Big-Shot Rog." Mason was a little taken aback during his appearance on All-Star Saturday (in the three-point shootout) that Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, among others, were coming up to him to congratulate him on having a great season.

The conversation turned to having, at long last, made it, and Mason was having none of it. "This is just my second year getting real playing time . . . I've got a lot of room for improvement, I flew my trainer [Joe Connelly, brother of Wizards Director of Player Personnel Tim Connelly] out to All-Star Weekend. And I told him: 'I'm really going to get to work this summer. I will be a better player next year.' "

honestfool84
02-22-2009, 12:48 AM
And I told him: 'I'm really going to get to work this summer. I will be a better player next year.' "

:O wow

DeadlyDynasty
02-22-2009, 01:00 AM
He's having a great season and I hope it continues, but the "big-shot" nicknames are made in the playoffs. Horry was notoriously AWOL or just plain lazy during the regular season but he was a stone-cold assassin in the playoffs. Portland, Sacramento, Denver, and Detroit know this first hand

WildcardManu
02-22-2009, 01:04 AM
glad to see people who work hard get the opportunities they deserve.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-22-2009, 01:12 AM
bold prediction - During the 2009 playoffs Mason becomes known officially around the league as 'Money Man Mason' :smokin

duncan228
02-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Winning wall.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wallpaper_090221_1024.jpg

lefty
02-22-2009, 01:39 AM
that Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, among others, were coming up to him to congratulate him on having a great season.
Nice :tu

GSH
02-22-2009, 01:44 AM
And that's coming from Wilbon. Mason is one more example of why the Spurs look for character as much as skills. He fits in here really well.

I wonder how long before they start calling him boring, too?

DeadlyDynasty
02-22-2009, 01:53 AM
And that's coming from Wilbon. Mason is one more example of why the Spurs look for character as much as skills. He fits in here really well.

he's hit 3 or 4 game winning shots and he isn't that great a defender...that's the antithesis of boring. He's made SA quasi-fun to watch with his dramatics

PuttPutt
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM
RMJ is the F'n MAN!!

alchemist
02-22-2009, 02:10 AM

Wilbon actually likes the Spurs, he's always bringing them into discussions about contenders and just generally even with Jon Barry's resentment (dude really hates the Spurs :lol)

Doug Collins
02-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Mason is showing a little skin in that pic.

I'm looking forward to what he does in the playoffs.

whottt
02-22-2009, 03:02 AM
but for all practical purposes it appears that "Big-Shot Rob" (Horry hated Rob, but it stuck)

Bzzzt! Horry likes Big Shot "Rob"...it's Big Shot "Bob" or "Bobby" that he doesn't like. And Bob hasn't really stuck, despite Tim Duncan's best efforts.

Gutter92
02-22-2009, 03:06 AM
The winning wall...Oberto is rubbing that guy's arm with a look on his face like "oh yea..you like it when I do that, dont you" and Duncan is looking at Mason like "Dont fuck this up!"

duncan228
02-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Bzzzt! Horry likes Big Shot "Rob"...it's Big Shot "Bob" or "Bobby" that he doesn't like. And Bob hasn't really stuck, despite Tim Duncan's best efforts.

Hey! Take my name out of the quote, Wilbon said it, not me. :lol

(Nice to see you around whottt).

urunobili
02-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Feel the Mase...

whottt
02-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey! Take my name out of the quote, Wilbon said it, not me. :lol

But of course!

(Nice to see you around whottt).

Thank you duncan228, nice to see you too :tu

Spurs Brazil
02-22-2009, 09:28 AM
"This is just my second year getting real playing time . . . I've got a lot of room for improvement, I flew my trainer [Joe Connelly, brother of Wizards Director of Player Personnel Tim Connelly] out to All-Star Weekend. And I told him: 'I'm really going to get to work this summer. I will be a better player next year.' "

Great to see Mason Jr playing well. He works very hard and always look to get better

ducks
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
mason and tp should work out together
tp then would have a better three point shot

SenorSpur
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Spurs outdid themselves in finding this guy. He's a dead-eye sharpshooter, good team guy and solid citizen. Like most players, he's got room to improve, but his work ethic and desire cannot be questioned.

With all the trade talk ths past week, I just couldn't imagine him being shipped out after such a stellar first half of the season.

Flux451
02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
awesome read.
I bet he works on his handles, defense and layups this summer.
If those improve then he could be an all star.

spursfan09
02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
bold prediction - During the 2009 playoffs Mason becomes known officially around the league as 'Money Man Mason' :smokin

yup! I'm crossing my fingers!

Flux451
02-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Sounds better when you leave off "man"

Dex
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
:tu

RMJ was a badass last night.

EricB
02-22-2009, 01:46 PM
RMJ is like Bruce Bowen.

The prototypical Spur.

Great player, great person.

MarHill
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Spurs outdid themselves in finding this guy. He's a dead-eye sharpshooter, good team guy and solid citizen. Like most players, he's got room to improve, but his work ethic and desire cannot be questioned.

With all the trade talk ths past week, I just couldn't imagine him being shipped out after such a stellar first half of the season.

I agree, Senor Spur!

The Spurs have gotten all they've asked for and more with Mason. He has become the best free-agent pickup in this past off-season.

I didn't want him to leave in a trade and I pleased to find out the Spurs didn't want to part with him either.

It is easy to root for a guy like this and his story. I know he will win a game or two in the playoffs with his shooting and the fact he has earned Pop's trust to get shots at the end of games. That's huge for a minor role player coming to an established championship contender.

Kudos to Mason!!! :toast

Baseline
02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Mason needs to add a floater/teardrop for when he gets run off the three-point line.

That, and some freaking handles.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Can't wait to see the new and improved Mase next season who knows the plays and tendencies of the Big 3.

SenorSpur
02-22-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree, Senor Spur!

The Spurs have gotten all they've asked for and more with Mason. He has become the best free-agent pickup in this past off-season.

I didn't want him to leave in a trade and I pleased to find out the Spurs didn't want to part with him either.

It is easy to root for a guy like this and his story. I know he will win a game or two in the playoffs with his shooting and the fact he has earned Pop's trust to get shots at the end of games. That's huge for a minor role player coming to an established championship contender.

Kudos to Mason!!! :toast

In the process, the Spurs luckily dodged a Corey Maggette bullet. And I admit, I had been one of the most adamant Maggette apologists on this forum. Of course, we don't know how Maggette would've fit in, but it's hard to imagine his transition being any smoother than Mason's has been.

wildbill2u
02-22-2009, 05:39 PM
For all the critics of the Spurs management for being 'cheap' and having a cheap owner "holtcat", they do seem to find guys who can play, fit their roles in the system, have character and team spirit and don't have salary demands that are beyond their worth.

Damn tough to do and still have a + .700 winning percentage.

EVAY
02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
This is a great, great story. I have been so happy to watch Mason develop as a Spur, but I didn't know until recently what his background was. You don't get to be an architecture major at UVA without some brain cells, and he has a seemingly really decent way of dealing with other players when he is on the floor and when he is on the bench, too.

I am thrilled to hear that he wants to get better over the summer and is willing to work to get that done. He does need improvement in a couple of areas, but that is true of every player on the team. What a great work ethic! Hats off to you, young man. I hope all your dreams come true!

DMX7
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Roger "Money" Mason has a nice ring to it.

coachmac87
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Well the things I would like for him to improve on this summer is obviously ball handling and passing. He does a baseball pass alot which is passing with one hand, and he gets careless sometimes but it needs to be addressed.

Ballhandling is the biggest thing, if he improved this the game can become so much easier for him. It will help him get into the lane and get easier shots, and it will give him more confidence to attack. He could also use a little more strength in his legs and upper body.

TwinTowers
02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, that's the reason why the Spurs are a contender year in, year out; while the Wizards have become the worst team in the league. Does any one think RMJ was even an option for game winning shots playing along side Arenas, Butler, and Jamison? Kudos to the Spurs for getting the best out of their role players, and filling the roster with character guys. That's what their consistency is all about

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Well the things I would like for him to improve on this summer is obviously ball handling and passing. He does a baseball pass alot which is passing with one hand, and he gets careless sometimes but it needs to be addressed.

Ballhandling is the biggest thing, if he improved this the game can become so much easier for him. It will help him get into the lane and get easier shots, and it will give him more confidence to attack. He could also use a little more strength in his legs and upper body.

He def has lower body strength, a few players(Matt Barnes being one) have found out he's stronger than his frame implies, after they unsuccessfully try to post him up.

MarHill
02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
In the process, the Spurs luckily dodged a Corey Maggette bullet. And I admit, I had been one of the most adamant Maggette apologists on this forum. Of course, we don't know how Maggette would've fit in, but it's hard to imagine his transition being any smoother than Mason's has been.

Senor Spur,

I wanted Maggette as well. His ability to get to the free throw line...was the main reason why.

However, I must admit I'm glad things worked out the way they have with Mason. The FO deserve credit for wanting him(actually two years in a row) and getting him when the Maggette deal fell through. Also, you must give credit to Mason for not being upset with the Spurs because he wasn't their first choice in this summer's free agency period.

Sometimes, it is the deals that don't happen (like Jason Kidd in 2003) that can actually make your team better in the long run.

:toast

MarHill
02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, that's the reason why the Spurs are a contender year in, year out; while the Wizards have become the worst team in the league. Does any one think RMJ was even an option for game winning shots playing along side Arenas, Butler, and Jamison? Kudos to the Spurs for getting the best out of their role players, and filling the roster with character guys. That's what their consistency is all about

That's an excellent compliment from a Lakers fan!

SenorSpur
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM

:tu :toast

pawe
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I hope he will stay with the Spurs OR the Spurs would keep him longer. Aside from finishing he's a great ballhandler and a fearless clutch shooter. He's my favorite Spur right now.

NewJerSpur
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
With all the exposure he's getting I just hope we'll be able to keep him after next season. He's a damn good fit here.

afireinside20
02-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Roger Mason will be our playoff savior in crunch time during the playoffs!!!

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-23-2009, 12:30 AM
BIG SHOT ROG!!!!!

What a pick-up this guy was! He's officially replaced Horry. The difference being, Roger hits shots throughout the game... not just the big shots.

TwinTowers
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
That's an excellent compliment from a Lakers fan!

Besides a Lakers fan I'm a fan of basketball; and I like the spurs...Won't like them so much when we face each other in the WCF!:ihit

raspsa
02-24-2009, 04:08 AM
I hope he will stay with the Spurs OR the Spurs would keep him longer. Aside from finishing he's a great ballhandler and a fearless clutch shooter. He's my favorite Spur right now.

With the tight money situation prevailing in the coming years, money for big contracts won't be that easy to come by. I'd expect the Spurs to offer an attractive contract extension to Mason that other teams may not be too eager to try and pry him loose.