PDA

View Full Version : Braves sign Garret Anderson

djohn14
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I enjoy it!

djohn14
02-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — The Braves have finally added a veteran bat to their outfield, left-handed slugger Garret Anderson.

The team finalized a one-year contract worth about $2.5 million with the free agent on Sunday, according to a person familiar with negotiations. An announcement is expected to come Monday, and Anderson was en route to Florida to join the Braves at spring training.

Enlarge this image

AP

Garret Anderson, 36, has a .296 career average and 272 home runs in 15 seasons in the majors, all with the Los Angeles Angels.

Who would you rather have had playing left field for the Braves?
Garret Anderson
Braves' prospects
Ken Griffey Jr.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour
View Poll Results

RELATED BRAVES LINKS
• Spring schedule • Beat blog • Stats
• Travel: Spring Training

RELATED STORIES
Braves sign Garret Anderson to one-year deal
Griffey: Decision tough but right
Kawakami 'impressive' in first batting-practice session
• More Braves coverage
Anderson, 36, has a .296 career average and 272 home runs in 15 seasons in the majors, all with the Los Angeles Angels of the American League. He was with that team so long, he played for it when it was known as the California Angels and later the Anaheim Angels, before the L.A. name change.

The Braves have been looking for a clean-up hitter, and Anderson has batted in that spot more than any other spot during his career, both as a designated hitter and an outfielder.

The three-time former All-Star is expected to play left field for the Braves and perhaps work in a platoon with Matt Diaz — the role the Braves planned for Ken Griffey Jr., before Griffey decided Wednesday to sign with Seattle instead of Atlanta. It’s also possible that Anderson could be more of an every-day player, rather than split duties with Diaz.

Anderson hit .293 with 15 home runs, 84 RBIs and a .325 on-base percentage last season, including 14 home runs in 433 at-bats against right-handed pitchers.

For comparison, Griffey hit .249 with 18 homers and 71 RBIs last season, including .272 with 14 homers in 327 at-bats against right-handers.

Soon after Griffey announced his decision, the Braves moved on to Anderson, despite stating publicly that they would take a look at their organization’s young outfielders and not immediately pursue another free agent or a trade for a veteran.

He doesn’t draw many walks, but Anderson has had a penchant for big hits in recent years. Last season, he hit .338 in 130 at-bats with runners in scoring position, including .356 with two outs. In the late innings of close games, he hit .371 with a .441 OBP in 89 at-bats.

He’s split time between DH and the outfield in the latter years of his career, and at this stage he’s not an exceptional defensive player. However, he’s probably as good or better defensively than most other veteran free agents who were available earlier, including the injury-plagued Griffey.

Anderson’s lefty-righty splits don’t have as significant a disparity as Griffey, whose average against lefties slipped dramatically in recent seasons while he continued to thrive against right-handers.

Last season, Anderson hit .293 and slugged .450 with 39 extra-base hits against right-handers. He hit .290 and slugged .371 with six extra-base hits (one homer) in 124 at-bats against lefties.

For his career, he’s hit .299 with a .334 OBP and .441 slugging percentage against right-handers, and .291 with a .311 OBP and .441 slugging percentage against lefties.

chode_regulator
02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Can't be worse than the Braves outfield last year.

I am sadly going to have to either cut out the Braves or the Chiefs after this year of sports. I can't take having so many teams do so shitty all the time. Not to be a bandwagoner or anything but damn it sucks to go into the season knwoing your team has no chance even though you pretend otherwise.

That being said I am exicted about baseball starting. Every other sport I have multiple teams that I follow, except for MLB. If i stop rooting for Braves I guess I stop watchign baseball.

djohn14
02-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Then stop rooting for the chiefs....if the Rams dont start turning it around...they are gonna lose this fan.