PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fusion Hybrid Tops Camry, Prius in Comparisons

RandomGuy
02-22-2009, 08:30 PM
It has been my observation, based on what I read in the business press, that Ford is two steps ahead of GM in a lot of ways.

I would unhesitatingly buy a Ford made today, and have a soft spot in my heart for the old, ugly police cruiser that is pushing over 300,000 miles and is still a great car.

This cinches it. I have a strong feeling that Ford is going to gobble up some market share from Toyota and GM for a lot of reasons.

This article from US News and World Report via Yahoo news is one of those reasons, that is kind of confirming my suspicions.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/853/ford-fusion-hybrid-tops-camry-prius-in-comparisons
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford Fusion Hybrid

If you're in the market for an ultra fuel-efficient hybrid that makes a convincing family sedan, your best choice has always been a Toyota -- until now. Toyota's Camry Hybrid and Prius have been the only realistic alternatives for many. Most American-built hybrids simply haven't matched their fuel economy, and the Nissan Altima Hybrid remains rare and hard to find.

A new entrant in the contest, however, may have knocked the Toyotas from their lofty perch.

The automotive press has begun testing the all-new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid in recent weeks. Two prominent publications have now published comparisons pitting the Fusion Hybrid against its Toyota competition, and the Ford has won both.

More from U.S. News & World Report

» Best Car Deals for February

» Ford Fusion Hybrid: Latest Photos and Info

USA Today writes: "OK, let's just get it out there: The 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is the best gasoline-electric hybrid yet. What makes it best is a top-drawer blend of an already very good midsize sedan with the industry's smoothest, best-integrated gas-electric power system. It's so well-done that you have to look to the $107,000 Lexus LS 600h hybrid to come close."

"The Toyota Prius crowd will protest," they note, but USA Today says Ford's car simply drives better. "A car is, after all, a driving machine. Brownie points for saving somewhat more fuel or offering a cargo-friendly hatchback, but driving feel is most important. And there, Fusion is without equal among hybrids."

Car and Driver set the Fusion against the Camry Hybrid, Chevy Malibu Hybrid and Altima Hybrid, but the result was the same. "Ford has pulled off a game changer with this 2010 model, creating a high-mpg family hauler that's fun to drive," they write. "Nothing about the leather-lined test car, optioned up from its $27,995 base price to $32,555, seemed economy minded except for the mileage readings. On that score, the Fusion topped the others, turning in a 34-mpg score card for the overall 300-mile test run."

In our time behind the wheel of the Fusion Hybrid, we quickly came to a similar verdict. The Fusion Hybrid corners with as much agility as its conventionally-powered cousin - one of the best-handling cars in the midsize class. With standard SYNC technology, it allows the driver to control Bluetooth-enabled phones and music players through the car's speakers with voice commands. And its standard leather and high-quality stereo give it an upscale feel for an affordable price. Ford has a hit on its hands.

We had one minor complaint. Ford's SmartGuage instrument cluster does a great job coaching the driver to drive more efficiently with information-rich displays, but the cutesy display that grows leaves as the driver reaches peak efficiency is distracting and can draw your eyes from the road. Still, following the device's prompts, we hit 37.7 mpg in city driving on the first try.

The Fusion Hybrid qualifies for a federal tax credit of $3,400 until the end of March, but few of the cars will reach dealerships by then - if you're in the market, you might want to consider ordering yours before the credit disappears.

LockBeard
02-22-2009, 08:42 PM
My family currently owns 6 GM suv/trucks and they have all been great. The low quality stigma GM has in this country is ridiculous.

RandomGuy
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
My family currently owns 6 GM suv/trucks and they have all been great. The low quality stigma GM has in this country is ridiculous.

I don't think any US car maker has low quality.

US vehicles are pretty much equivalent to Import brands to my understanding.

That said:

Ford > GM

Not by much, but by enough to be noticable.

I have NOTHING against GM vehicles, but merely note that Ford is a step or two ahead in a lot of respects than GM is.

This has to do with a lot of factors, not the least of which is that Ford started reorganizing with an eye towards profitabability a few years before GM did. GM was just too big to turn around as quickly, among other things.

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
FORD or GM lol another article propping up their shitty products,

why dont you just allow them to go broke damn it....they are a bit too late on the competitors producing smaller calls and fuel efficient cars....

hence most autol companys are losin money anyway atm....

CubanMustGo
02-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Ford isn't begging the government for handouts, unlike GM or Chrysler.

Biernutz
02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/Gifffs1234/ford-1.gif

robino2001
02-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I absolutely love my Camry Hybrid but I'm interested/excited to see Ford expand their hybrid base. My wife is planning on replacing her 05 Escape with a Hybrid Escape eventually (unless something similar/better comes along before).

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
have petrol prices gone up in ur areas?

stupid prices are back up AUS$1.30-1.39 per/ltr @ US$39.80 CURRENCY US:AUS = $1:$0.64

SAME time last year AUS$1.30-$1.39 per/ltr @ US$100+ barrel currency was nearly 1:1

so wtf is happening here....

ps. those who drive or own hybrid cars, dont you love it when u turn on the ignition and you dont hear anything, its smooth ass....

Blake
02-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Ford and GM cars (not trucks) have sucked for decades now. I have driven them at work and absolutely will not ever touch one.

My wife's 2000 Camry hit 175,000 miles, the engine still purrs and is a quiet smooth ride.

Extra Stout
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
The key being that they were suvs/trucks and not cars. GM put all its development money in the former.

Das Texan
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
intriguing article.

i applaud ford for not being totally ignorant to the times in the past decade like GM and Chrysler. I applaud them further for actually having a fairly decent balance sheet so as to not need a handout from the government.

I've always had a soft spot for Ford in my heart anyway. Maybe this will force me to seriously consider them when I buy a new car in a couple of years.

I enjoy seeing GM eliminating some of their brands like they should have done years ago.

Drachen
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Ford and GM cars (not trucks) have sucked for decades now. I have driven them at work and absolutely will not ever touch one.

My wife's 2000 Camry hit 175,000 miles, the engine still purrs and is a quiet smooth ride.

I have been following Ford quite a lot lately, because I am bargain hunting in the stock market. It has been intriguing that they have won best initial quality with the ford focus, and I think with the fusion. They have been making lots of noise in the quality area in the last few years. In fact, I just read an article about a week or two ago that Ford has cut their warantee costs (the money that they have to pay out due to repairs to cars under warantee) by 40% since 2004. That is incredible!!! They are saving 1.2 Billion per year now over their 04 figures! Couple that with the fact that they are the only one of the Big 3 to have turned a quarterly profit in the last 5 or 6 years ( 1Q 2008), and you see a couple of the reasons why they are not looking for a bailout. Yes they did go to the initial meetings in NOV/DEC, but not to ask for a loan, instead for a line of credit. This was to be used just in case one of the other fails because it would cause uncertainty in the market. They have since withdrawn that application. Couple that with the fact that their stock is getting lumped in with that of GM's and at $1.50 I am buying a lot of Ford. I would absolutely buy one of their cars too (next time I am searching).

TDMVPDPOY
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
lol at the camry hybrids you guys received, they are starting to sell them brand new down here sometime this year or next year, nothing new about it if its been in america, only thing different is just the stupid variation paint job :(