5-3 :toast
:flag:

urunobili
02-23-2009, 09:30 AM
should have been 7-1

+1

rascal
02-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Why is the rodeo trip suppose to be difficult? The spurs do well during the trip and with the all star break it isn't like they are constantly on the road the whole time.

The rodeo trip helps the spurs and the nba should put a stop to any long road trips for any team. Tell the stupid rodeo to go elsewhere.

Bender
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
tim duncan said he didn't mind the rodeo taking over the Center, as long as they don't leave any cow patties behind.

that said, why can't the rodeo use the freeman, or the dome...?

honestfool84
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Why is the rodeo trip suppose to be difficult? The spurs do well during the trip and with the all star break it isn't like they are constantly on the road the whole time.

The rodeo trip helps the spurs and the nba should put a stop to any long road trips for any team. Tell the stupid rodeo to go elsewhere.

why does it matter?

you act as if the road trip hurts the spurs when you suggest the nba should put a stop to long road trips.

and the rodeo is an integral part of san antonio's economy.

FromWayDowntown
02-23-2009, 10:23 AM
tim duncan said he didn't mind the rodeo taking over the Center, as long as they don't leave any cow patties behind.

that said, why can't the rodeo use the freeman, or the dome...?

Because the deal to keep the Spurs in San Antonio by building a mid-sized arena had to be brokered by Bexar County after the City of San Antonio dropped the ball. In exchange for getting the deal done, Bexar County's major demand was that it get to use the mid-sized arena to house the Stock Show and Rodeo. Those are the trade offs in life; the rodeo has thrived in a much bigger building than the Freeman; the county doesn't have any rights to use the Dome, which is owned by the City of San Antonio, and would basically have to pay rent to move the rodeo there, which would make the rodeo much less profitable. That's why the rodeo uses the AT&T Center.

As for the trip, had you told me that the Spurs would go 5-3 on that trip with Manu missing half of the games and with Parker and Duncan missing one of those 4, I'd have thought you were smoking something. Clearly, the results could have been better (Toronto and New York) but on the whole, I think the trip was a success. The Spurs aren't going to catch LA and over the course of the trip, their lead in the division (and for the #2 seed) has grown.

Indazone
02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
ok now that the road trip is over. Where is the Dallas Mavericks/Spurs Trashtalking thread? :D

Bender
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
thanks, FWD, I didn't know that stuff. I live here, but don't really keep up with city politics.

rascal
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Because the deal to keep the Spurs in San Antonio by building a mid-sized arena had to be brokered by Bexar County after the City of San Antonio dropped the ball. In exchange for getting the deal done, Bexar County's major demand was that it get to use the mid-sized arena to house the Stock Show and Rodeo. Those are the trade offs in life; the rodeo has thrived in a much bigger building than the Freeman; the county doesn't have any rights to use the Dome, which is owned by the City of San Antonio, and would basically have to pay rent to move the rodeo there, which would make the rodeo much less profitable. That's why the rodeo uses the AT&T Center.

As for the trip, had you told me that the Spurs would go 5-3 on that trip with Manu missing half of the games and with Parker and Duncan missing one of those 4, I'd have thought you were smoking something. Clearly, the results could have been better (Toronto and New York) but on the whole, I think the trip was a success. The Spurs aren't going to catch LA and over the course of the trip, their lead in the division (and for the #2 seed) has grown.

Then move the rodeo to September if they have to use the building. The nba should put a stop to scheduling long road trips to accomodate other stuff like a stock show/rodeo.

The rodeo trip is an advantage in the schedule for the Spurs. Pop says he likes the rodeo trip himself. With the all star break it isn't even like they are on the road the whole time .

The team comes together during the trip and they get used to playing on the road then they have a nice stretch of home games the last few weeks of the season when other teams are wearing out from a normal schedule of road trips.

SenorSpur
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Then move the rodeo to September if they have to use the building. The nba should put a stop to scheduling long road trips to accomodate other stuff like a stock show/rodeo.

The rodeo trip is an advantage in the schedule for the Spurs. Pop says he likes the rodeo trip himself. With the all star break it isn't even like they are on the road the whole time .

The team comes together during the trip and they get used to playing on the road then they have a nice stretch of home games the last few weeks of the season when other teams are wearing out from a normal schedule of road trips.

Don't know if that would fly. The Stock Show/Rodeo is a seasonal event that tours through several cities besides San Antonio.

gingerwave
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
That was an extrememly long stretch. Not a bad result. :flag:

TampaDude
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
5-3 with Manu out...I'll take it...GO SPURS GO!!! :flag:

ploto
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
With 2 long breaks, it really was not a RRT. Teams go on 5 game road trips to the other conference all the time that are much more consecutive time away.

They only played 2 teams over .500 on the whole eight game trip. The win over Boston was nice, but the game in Denver was rendered inconsequential by Pop. The rest included some wins AND some losses over pretty bad teams.

This week will tell much more with Dallas, Portland, and Cleveland in 4 nights all at home.

lurker23
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Having a rodeo in South Texas in February is a lot more bearable weather-wise than having one in September.

rascal
02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Having a rodeo in South Texas in February is a lot more bearable weather-wise than having one in September.

The hot weather in Sept. (I lived in SA) I already know and thought about but thats an option if the nba puts a stop to the rodeo trip. You live in south Texas then expect hot weather for a good part of the year.