PDA

View Full Version : Lakers are 35-9 v 2-9 in West since Gasol trade

Ghazi
02-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Counting last years regular season after the Gasol trade, the playoffs, and this year, the Lakers are 35-9 in regular season games v 2-9 in the West since the Gasol trade (Warriors being the 9th team last year, Blazers replacing them this year). If you go a step further, they're 33-6 in games where Gasol has played. If you go a step further, they're 34-5 if we disregard Mason's fluke shot.

These are amazing numbers to me. It can thus be argued that the Lakers are so good that if you construct an 82 game schedule featuring nothing but the 2-9 teams in the West, they would wind up with a #1 seed regardless.

This year, they're 15-3... and let's dissect those 3 losses:

1. @ SAS- Mason fluke shot. Spurs deserved to lose the game for yielding a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter @ home but got bailed out by an improbable shot and improbable foul.

2. v NO- Odom got injured in the game, and the Hornets needed 32/15 from CP3 with 0 TO's, and 40/11 from David West to win the game. we can dismiss this game as an anomaly.

3. @ Utah- A back to back in Utah where the refs allow the Jazz to play rugby, and the Lakers still only lost by 4 points. A moral victory if you ask me, and dare I go a far as to say a game the Lakers should've won?

The only thing to make of all this is that for a West team to beat the Lakers in the playoffs without HCA, they will need a barrage of hot shooting, fluke plays, and the Lakers to forget how to play basketball.

The Spurs are considered a formidable foe to the Lakers by some in the media, but in reality aren't. Mason's fluke shot disregarded, the Spurs are 1-7 in their last 8 games against the Lakers... they're only considered a threat out of reverence toward their 03, 05, and 07 championships... but this year's team isn't as good as those teams.

The Nuggets of course can't be considered a threat. Their record is inflated by a 21-4 record against sub .500 teams, which means they're only 16-15 against +.500 teams. Also, no team whose best player is backward fighting pussy baby back bitch Carmelo Anthony should be considered a threat to beat the Lakers, let alone advance past the 1st round. Furthermore, LA has won like 9 straight against the Nuggets.

The rest of the teams simply aren't that good. Blazers too young, Hornets/Mavs/Suns too soft with older/flawed rosters, Jazz too undisciplined defensively and seemingly incapable of winning a game @ Staples, whereas the Lakers have shown they can win @ Energy Solutions. As for the Rockets, they just suck, and no team led by the Great Wall of frailty is expected to be a threat to the Lakers, let alone get out of the 1st round.

The only teams capable of beating the Lakers this year are the Celtics and all the King's men.

But I think all of this has been obvious all year long, just pointing out the impressive 35-9 record v the best the West has to offer since the Gasol trade.

Gutter92
02-23-2009, 09:03 AM
4-4 on gamewinners makes Mason's shot vs. the Lakers a fluke shot :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Counting last years regular season after the Gasol trade, the playoffs, and this year, the Lakers are 35-9 in regular season games v 2-9 in the West since the Gasol trade (Warriors being the 9th team last year, Blazers replacing them this year). If you go a step further, they're 33-6 in games where Gasol has played. If you go a step further, they're 34-5 if we disregard Mason's fluke shot.

These are amazing numbers to me. It can thus be argued that the Lakers are so good that if you construct an 82 game schedule featuring nothing but the 2-9 teams in the West, they would wind up with a #1 seed regardless.

1. @ SAS- Mason fluke shot. Spurs deserved to lose the game for yielding a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter @ home but got bailed out by an improbable shot and improbable foul.

2. v NO- Odom got injured in the game, and the Hornets needed 32/15 from CP3 with 0 TO's, and 40/11 from David West to win the game. we can dismiss this game as an anomaly.

3. @ Utah- A back to back in Utah where the refs allow the Jazz to play rugby, and the Lakers still only lost by 4 points. A moral victory if you ask me, and dare I go a far as to say a game the Lakers should've won?

The only thing to make of all this is that for a West team to beat the Lakers in the playoffs without HCA, they will need a barrage of hot shooting, fluke plays, and the Lakers to forget how to play basketball.

The Spurs are considered a formidable foe to the Lakers by some in the media, but in reality aren't. Mason's fluke shot disregarded, the Spurs are 1-7 in their last 8 games against the Lakers... they're only considered a threat out of reverence toward their 03, 05, and 07 championships... but this year's team isn't as good as those teams.

The Nuggets of course can't be considered a threat. Their record is inflated by a 21-4 record against sub .500 teams, which means they're only 16-15 against +.500 teams. Also, no team whose best player is backward fighting pussy baby back bitch Carmelo Anthony should be considered a threat to beat the Lakers, let alone advance past the 1st round. Furthermore, LA has won like 9 straight against the Nuggets.

The rest of the teams simply aren't that good. Blazers too young, Hornets/Mavs/Suns too soft with older/flawed rosters, Jazz too undisciplined defensively and seemingly incapable of winning a game @ Staples, whereas the Lakers have shown they can win @ Energy Solutions. As for the Rockets, they just suck, and no team led by the Great Wall of frailty is expected to be a threat to the Lakers, let alone get out of the 1st round.

The only teams capable of beating the Lakers this year are the Celtics and all the King's men.

But I think all of this has been obvious all year long, just pointing out the impressive 35-9 record v the best the West has to offer since the Gasol trade.

:toast

Rogue
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
this trade may help us become much stronger than lakers: Dampier/Stack/Josh for Yao/Artest/Battier.

ginobili's bald spot
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
*Waits for bitter Spurs fans armed with their ad hominem rebuttals*

Rogue
02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
we will have a decent center in yao than can do dirty works in our paint, though yao is still not an ideal piece to our team; artest isn't as good as Josh at offensive end but his defense is way better than Josh, at least Artest will never allow Crapierce to blow him out; Battier isn't outstanding in stats but his has more effects on his team than the stats can reflect, it's hard to imagine how bad the rockets team would be if they hadn't got battier. tmac and ron and yao all don't mind wasting plenty of shots just to polish their stats a little bit, tmac in particular.

Yao/Dirk/Battier/Artest/Kidd as lineups

Jet/Bass/Barea/Wright/ off the bench.

resistanze
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
*Waits for bitter Spurs fans armed with their ad hominem rebuttals*

:lol Don't you think that's kinda ironic considering your username?

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Are you telling me Ginobili doesn't have a bald spot on the back of his head?

anonoftheinternets
02-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Are you telling me Ginobili doesn't have a bald spot on the back of his head?

are u telling me you are not a mexican made of iron?

Fabbs
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM

PopApologists can spin that anyway they want, but 1-7 since the Gasol Collusion says it all.
You're wrong on the Mason shot tho. For the 1st time in eons, DumbassOvich let the Spurs open it up on O and they had 90 points by the 3rd qtr and led by 10 with about 6 minutes to go in the game. Went into 4Dumb/Veg Ball trey chucking and that is what allowed the Lakers to comeback. So it was the Lakers who were lucky to be allowed by Pop back into that game. Plus as pointed out, Mase is now 4-4 on gamesealers, its not luck.

Pop made the "adjustment" the next time the teams met. Vegged out offense and an easy Laker win.

Ghazi
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
In that case, 2-6 ;)

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
are u telling me you are not a mexican made of iron?

Pretty much.

TheMACHINE
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Welcome to bandwagon..plenty of room by me and Paris Hilton. :king

ElNono
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM

What's more amazing is that they still don't have a championship to show for all those great numbers...

SpursDynasty
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM

1. The Mason shot wasn't a fluke. He has hit 4 game winners including big wins in Phoenix and Boston. Games are 48 minutes long. Whether a shot is hit during the first 10 seconds of the game or the last 10 seconds of the game, it counts. The foul was also not improbable. Fisher is known for fouling at the end of big games, he just usually doesn't get whistled for it. Be happy that this one got whistled and Game 4 last year didn't.

2. Odom got injured, but staying healthy is part of the game just as much as winning is. 32 and 15 are typical numbers from Chris Paul, so NOH didn't necessarily "need" something that they get anyway. 40 and 11 from West is only a reflection of LA's poor defense. LA gives up 100.69 points a game, 20th best in the league, which means 19 teams give up less points than they do. The David Wests of the league are bound to get 40 and 11 against such poor defense.

3. Again, games are 48 minutes long. Whoever has more points at the end, wins. If LA should have beaten Utah, then why didn't they have more points at the end? If it's only a 4 point win, then this only means Utah did everything LA did and then scored 4 more points to win the game.

The Spurs have championship experience...Coach Pop, TD, TP, Manu, Bowen, etc. They have won within the last 2 years. It doesn't matter what role players you put around them, whether it's Steve Kerr, Speedy Claxton, Brent Barry, Beno Udrih, or Francisco Elson, those 4 guys will find a way to win. We lost last year because of a lack of offense outside Tim and Tony.

The Lakers have championship experience in Phil, Kobe, and Fisher, but those guys haven't won a championship in 7 years. Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom as NBA champions? Keep dreaming.

Denver isn't a contender, and 16-15 as a record doesn't look good, but when stated that it's against the .500 or better teams, it's actually pretty solid. That's the equivalent of getting a season series split against the real teams.

The Lakers are simply not good enough to be NBA champions. We held Kobe/Bynum/Gasol to a combined sub-.500 FG% in the last meeting. The Lakers needed Farmar and Ariza to shoot 10-for-15 to win that game. Don't count on those scrubs doing anything in the playoffs.

2Cleva
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Too much bias in the OP analysis. Case in point - Mason hit the shot, credit due where credit is earned.

The Lakers are simply not good enough to be NBA champions. We held Kobe/Bynum/Gasol to a combined sub-.500 FG% in the last meeting. The Lakers needed Farmar and Ariza to shoot 10-for-15 to win that game. Don't count on those scrubs doing anything in the playoffs.

Farmar and Ariza have shot well from time to time, just as Mason has hit game-winners from time to time. Is either team going to bank on that to win it all? Mason was a scrub himself every year prior to this one - no doubt thanks to him playing next to 3 great players. Same thing goes for guys like Farmar and Ariza (except LA at times has 4 great players).

That said but the point is correct. No one in the West can consistently beat LA as they are currently constructed without a great, great deal of luck. Saying LA isn't good enough is foolish, considering how close they came last year, how much better they are last year, and how their closest competitors are weaker. It's proven the West can't handle LA and LA left and impression on the 2 most likely Final participants from the East.

Sec24Row7
02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Mavs fans talked a bunch of shit in 2006-7 when they were tearing up the league, Dirk was winning the MVP, they had knocked the Spurs out of the playoffs the year before and no one seemed able to stop them.

How about this... you get past the #8 seed... and if we are still in the mix too... I'll give a fuck about how good your team is.

Pelicans78
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Cavs dont have a shot in hell at beating the Lakers, and the C's have felt the wrath as well.

I disagree bro. I think the Lakers will win the championship, but Cleveland will give them a tough series. I see 4-2 Lakers.

2Cleva
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I disagree bro. I think the Lakers will win the championship, but Cleveland will give them a tough series. I see 4-2 Lakers.

Agreed. All the shooters Cleveland has around LeBron will mean some hot nights. LA doesn't close out consistently well at all and get them off the 3 point line.

The lack of a post game is what would do Cleveland in.

Sec24Row7
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
We are not the MAVS you clown. But for the sake of argument, lets assume you can use history to guage success. The Lakers have a history of not only winning when they are the best team, but getting them in bunches. The Last 6 seasons were our slup up. Time to rule the next 5-6 years.

You're an injury away from losing in the second round.

You're team is awesome. I respect it. The Spurs respect it.

You aren't automatically gonna win anything. If you get past us, you still have the team that you didn't beat last year and the Cavs to worry about.

j-money24
02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
theirs no competition for lakers in the west

Ghazi
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Mavs however, showed some warts in that regular season. They had a losing record v the Jazz and Warriors, and the 0-3 record v the Warriors in that season, along with 1-6 in their last 7 games, ended up being no fluke as the Warriors won in 6.

The Lakers on the other hand. 7-1 in their last 8 against the Spurs, 9-0 in their last 9 against the Nuggets... take any team in the West, and the Lakers have a winning record v them since the Gasol trade.

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
You're an injury away from losing in the second round.

You're team is awesome. I respect it. The Spurs respect it.

You aren't automatically gonna win anything. If you get past us, you still have the team that you didn't beat last year and the Cavs to worry about.

Every team is an injury away from a first round exit or something horrible.

Fabbs
02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Mavs fans talked a bunch of shit in 2006-7 when they were tearing up the league, Dirk was winning the MVP, they had knocked the Spurs out of the playoffs the year before and no one seemed able to stop them.

How about this... you get past the #8 seed... and if we are still in the mix too... I'll give a fuck about how good your team is.
How sweet would a #1 Lakers vs #8 Warriors with fair reffing thruout the series be?

Dex
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
If you go a step further, they're 34-5 if we disregard Mason's fluke shot.

Too bad nobody does.

der Kaiser
02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
4-4 on gamewinners makes Mason's shot vs. the Lakers a fluke shot :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

For real though, not diminishing the win or anything but San Antonio sorta tripped into their points at the end while the Lakers executed their offense without much resistance.

anonoftheinternets
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Lame pointless thread, see u in the playoffs....

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Wow, are the Mavs so bad that their fans are now going out of their way to toot the Lakers' horn?

TheMACHINE
02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Sec24Row7;3136474]You're an injury away from losing in the second round.

[QUOTE]

and ur team will prob lose in the 2nd round even without injury. whats your point?

Sec24Row7
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
You're probably right. Spurs deserve no respect from anyone yadda yadda yadda.

That's what I get for trying to talk sensibly about basketball expectations with bandwagoners.

Hell I'd probably be a Laker fan too if I lived in LA... for the 5 seconds before I shot myself.

DeadlyDynasty
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
You're probably right. Spurs deserve no respect from anyone yadda yadda yadda.

That's what I get for trying to talk sensibly about basketball expectations with bandwagoners.

Hell I'd probably be a Laker fan too if I lived in LA... for the 5 seconds before I shot myself.

you guys had a nice run...let it go, it's all over:depressed

manufor3
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
id like a little more respect from laker fans. that being said, we should give laker fans (except drhouse hes an idiot) respect

mystargtr34
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Yet no body but Ghazi and Laker fans know or care about those stats, because they have jack shit to show for it. No one remembers second place, unless its a 39 point beat down.

Muser
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I think everyone should stop talking smack.

The lakers are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.

Here's to a WCF Showdown :toast

Banzai
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I think everyone should stop talking smack.

The lakers are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.

Here's to a WCF Showdown :toast

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/22/b9vfl4b63im3ajczb5y6Qle8o1_250.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3468)

Showtime24 LAKERS
02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think the Celtics or Cav's can beat the Lakers this year. In the west I do consider the Spurs and Jazz to be teams to look out for. They are dangerous. The Spurs with a healthy Ginobili can hurt us. Where the Lakers have the edge over most of the top teams is the bench. The Laker bench; if they play like they have most of the season, are alot better than most other teams.

Actually, the team that I think would give the Lakers more problems from the east are the Magic. There are certain teams that match up good to the Lakers and the Magic is one of them.

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/22/b9vfl4b63im3ajczb5y6Qle8o1_250.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3468)

:lol:toast

sonic21
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
not the subject, but what happened here?

http://www.hachisvertas.net/temp/gif/brown_block_LOL.GIF

crc21209
02-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Nothing to see here, just a dumb Mav's fan who is sucking off the Lakers and jumping on the train and going by Hollinger stats. That's why they play the games people...you never know what can happen....

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 07:10 PM
That was on a Shannon Brown block.

Ghazi
02-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Nothing to see here, just a dumb Mav's fan who is sucking off the Lakers and jumping on the train and going by Hollinger stats. That's why they play the games people...you never know what can happen....

They won the West last year, they're 45-10 this year, and they're 15-3 v Western playoff teams this year, 16-2 if we disregard Mason's fluke shot.

Quite frankly, they've earned the right to be "sucked off".

DrHouse
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
The Lakers are a better team this year with or without Bynum.

Gasol had a full training camp with the team and the coaching staff has had a full off-season to gameplan with the current iteration of the team. Last season there were teams that could successfully hold the Lakers in check scoring wise. That doesn't seem to be the case this season.

Lakers999
02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
What's more amazing is that they still don't have a championship to show for all those great numbers...

no but they only made it there once since the gasol trade LAST YEAR..... and they will most likely make it agian this year

TDMVPDPOY
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM
mavfans have become pathetic like sunsfans all of a sudden

iggypop123
02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
health is the only factor standing in the way of the lakers, and thats a big problem

GuerillaBlack
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM

The Rockets suck so bad that they beat your team...twice this season so far.

underdawg
02-23-2009, 11:30 PM
The Lakers are a better team this year with or without Bynum.

Gasol had a full training camp with the team and the coaching staff has had a full off-season to gameplan with the current iteration of the team. Last season there were teams that could successfully hold the Lakers in check scoring wise. That doesn't seem to be the case this season.

Are they really? I'll give you the fact that Bynum's scoring took away points from players I'm going to mention, but Sasha's, Farmar's and Walton's points are down dramatically this year and while Odom is playing well right now Fisher's minutes are way up and he's no young pup. I see a some fatigue coming for him and Jackson better figure out how to get Sasha, Luke and Jordan involved or they will hit the playoffs cold. Face the fact that the Lakers are playing a lot of teams that aren't that good right now. And I'll throw in the Spurs as one of those teams with the last game we played, but unfortunately for the Lakers and the rest of the league we are getting better - under the radar of course.

Kobe™
02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
not the subject, but what happened here?

http://www.hachisvertas.net/temp/gif/brown_block_LOL.GIF

Phil's sextape leaked.

DrHouse
02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Are they really? I'll give you the fact that Bynum's scoring took away points from players I'm going to mention, but Sasha's, Farmar's and Walton's points are down dramatically this year and while Odom is playing well right now Fisher's minutes are way up and he's no young pup. I see a some fatigue coming for him and Jackson better figure out how to get Sasha, Luke and Jordan involved or they will hit the playoffs cold. Face the fact that the Lakers are playing a lot of teams that aren't that good right now. And I'll throw in the Spurs as one of those teams with the last game we played, but unfortunately for the Lakers and the rest of the league we are getting better - under the radar of course.

4-0 vs. CLE and BOS.

Last season the Lakers were 0-4 against both of these teams.

That alone tells me all I need to know. The Lakers are better, much better. Nobody can slow their offense down and when Bynum returns the defense will be good enough to beat anyone in this league. The only team stopping the Lakers is the Lakers.

The Spurs are the least of their worries. The Lakers have proven they can beat that team 6 ways from Sunday.

underdawg
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
4-0 vs. CLE and BOS.

Last season the Lakers were 0-4 against both of these teams.

That alone tells me all I need to know. The Lakers are better, much better. Nobody can slow their offense down and when Bynum returns the defense will be good enough to beat anyone in this league. The only team stopping the Lakers is the Lakers.

The Spurs are the least of their worries. The Lakers have proven they can beat that team 6 ways from Sunday.

I don't know about Cleveland, but Boston was definitely playing better last year. Put aside the Spurs all you want - we're used to that and honestly we like it that way. Reality is that the Spurs will have something by the playoffs that the Lakers won't and that's defense. I'll freely admit it's nowhere even close to being legit right now, but it will be by the playoffs - that's what makes Pop the best defensive minded coach in the league. And I'm glad you mentioned the Lakers stopping themselves - that does seem to happen - thanks Lakers you're the greatest!

DeadlyDynasty
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
San Antonio needed everything they had to beat LA by one point (on a miracle 3 point play in their own building). The Lakers beat their ass in LA w/o breaking a sweat. San Antonio is once again a competitive, tough squad, but they don't have the guns or the numbers to beat LA 4 times in 7 games. Like DrHouse said, the only team that can beat the Lakers is the Lakers

MarHill
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
The Spurs are the least of their worries. The Lakers have proven they can beat that team 6 ways from Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Kobe Bryant who recently admitted the Spurs are our rivals!!

At least he knows.....:lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't know about Cleveland, but Boston was definitely playing better last year. Put aside the Spurs all you want - we're used to that and honestly we like it that way. Reality is that the Spurs will have something by the playoffs that the Lakers won't and that's defense. I'll freely admit it's nowhere even close to being legit right now, but it will be by the playoffs - that's what makes Pop the best defensive minded coach in the league. And I'm glad you mentioned the Lakers stopping themselves - that does seem to happen - thanks Lakers you're the greatest!

Give the "under the radar" schtick a rest, would ya? We're fans, it doesn't matter how we perceive them. Phil Jackson and the Lakers don't overlook playoff opponents. They'll be focused if they meet in the playoffs, and give the Spurs another beating they so richly deserve

MarHill
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM
San Antonio needed everything they had to beat LA by one point (on a miracle 3 point play in their own building). The Lakers beat their ass in LA w/o breaking a sweat. San Antonio is once again a competitive, tough squad, but they don't have the guns or the numbers to beat LA 4 times in 7 games. Like DrHouse said, the only team that can beat the Lakers is the Lakers

Here we go again.....

Lakers beat Boston by one point in Boston. If I'm going to the Lakers credit for that win....then the Spurs deserve credit for their win in Jan.

Now....if those games were reversed and the Lakers won by one point over the Spurs in L.A. those same Lakers fans would post they deserved credit for that win.

I can't wait until the playoffs...so all of this can be settled. I want both teams to be fully healthy at that time.

:flag:

DrHouse
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
What do you expect Kobe to say? That the Spurs suck ass and he doesn't give two shits about them? :lmao

The Lakers offense is so good they can afford to play pack-it-in defense and force the opposing team to beat them from the perimeter. The opposing team has to shoot hot for 4 games out of 7 and even that doesn't guarantee a win as the Lakers have shown they can be competitive no matter how good the opposing team is shooting.

Until I see a team that can legitimately slow down the Laker offense I'm not too worried. Last season BOS, SAS, and even CLE showed they could slow down the Lakers. This season.....not so much. The fact that the Lakers are capable of playing good defense when they need to is just icing on the cake. Having Bynum available for the playoff run is just another bonus for the team. The way things are shaping up all WC contenders are cashing in their chips and going for broke in 2010. They know the Lakers are the team to beat this season.

underdawg
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Easy now - Spurs needed everything they had to hold on to a huge lead - that says a lot about our defense that day. I love the excuse that y'all didn't have farmar and sasha - how have they been doing since they've been back? yes, farmar had a good game against SA in game two, but he really hasn't done much since. Who's to say that he wouldn't have two good games against SA? By the way, we don't need "guns" to beat LA or any other team for that matter - we've never had the "guns" - we have Timmy, Manu and Tony. The rest are role players that fit in a great system. You be UNLV and we'll be Duke - I like our chances.

MarHill
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Give the "under the radar" schtick a rest, would ya? We're fans, it doesn't matter how we perceive them. Phil Jackson and the Lakers don't overlook playoff opponents. They'll be focused if they meet in the playoffs, and give the Spurs another beating they so richly deserve

That goes w/o saying...

Of course the Lakers won't overlook their opponents. The Lakers know the Spurs and the Spurs know the Lakers.

Even Kobe admitted the Spurs are their rivals....

Let's get to April and May and let it be settled!!!

Pelicans78
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Right now Lakers are the favorite. No doubt. But its still a long way to go.

MarHill
02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
What do you expect Kobe to say? That the Spurs suck ass and he doesn't give two shits about them? :lmao

The Lakers offense is so good they can afford to play pack-it-in defense and force the opposing team to beat them from the perimeter. The opposing team has to shoot hot for 4 games out of 7 and even that doesn't guarantee a win as the Lakers have shown they can be competitive no matter how good the opposing team is shooting.

Until I see a team that can legitimately slow down the Laker offense I'm not too worried. Last season BOS, SAS, and even CLE showed they could slow down the Lakers. This season.....not so much. The fact that the Lakers are capable of playing good defense when they need to is just icing on the cake. Having Bynum available for the playoff run is just another bonus for the team. The way things are shaping up all WC contenders are cashing in their chips and going for broke in 2010. They know the Lakers are the team to beat this season.

Of course not, DrHouse!

But Kobe is media savvy enough to say something about an opponent and his non-answer would reveal if he respects that opponent or not.

You know better than that!!

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Easy now - Spurs needed everything they had to hold on to a huge lead - that says a lot about our defense that day. I love the excuse that y'all didn't have farmar and sasha - how have they been doing since they've been back? yes, farmar had a good game against SA in game two, but he really hasn't done much since. Who's to say that he wouldn't have two good games against SA? By the way, we don't need "guns" to beat LA or any other team for that matter - we've never had the "guns" - we have Timmy, Manu and Tony. The rest are role players that fit in a great system. You be UNLV and we'll be Duke - I like our chances.

Riiiight. If we meet in the playoffs again I'll bet you $100 (w/ 2-1 odds cause i'm such a nice guy--and THAT confident) that LA takes them again. This bet is on with or w/o Bynum if you're game.
BTW, I have never made an excuse about not having sasha or farmar. In fact I'm rather pissed w/ Sasha's play this year...he's not hitting the open shots.

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2009, 12:08 AM
That goes w/o saying...

Of course the Lakers won't overlook their opponents. The Lakers know the Spurs and the Spurs know the Lakers.

Even Kobe admitted the Spurs are their rivals....

Let's get to April and May and let it be settled!!!

:toast No doubt you guys are our rivals (a rivalry in which we have the upper hand, but a rivalry nonetheless). Still, better you guys than those whiny twat Kings of the early decade

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Here we go again.....

Lakers beat Boston by one point in Boston. If I'm going to the Lakers credit for that win....then the Spurs deserve credit for their win in Jan.

Now....if those games were reversed and the Lakers won by one point over the Spurs in L.A. those same Lakers fans would post they deserved credit for that win.

I can't wait until the playoffs...so all of this can be settled. I want both teams to be fully healthy at that time.

:flag:
You guys do deserve credit for that win...My point is that there's a huge difference between being able to muster up a great game vs a great series. Spurs would need to play beyond themselves while LA would need to forget how to play basketball for you guys to win 4 of 7

underdawg
02-24-2009, 12:12 AM

It really isn't a schtick at all - it's happened almost every year since Duncan arrived. It has a lot to do with how the Spurs progress each year with different lineups/role players finding their niche. Teams play them earlier in the year (and sometimes even towards the end of the year) and they don't get the same product as they do in the playoffs (i.e. the Hornets last year.) I'm not saying the Lakers are underestimating the Spurs at all - you're right they're professionals and they respect their opponents. That said, there's a certain amount of confidence that is gained by players through regular season games and that is directly related to why Pop (and I'm sure Jackson too) doesn't do things in the regular season that he'll do in the playoffs.

underdawg
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
You guys do deserve credit for that win...My point is that there's a huge difference between being able to muster up a great game vs a great series. Spurs would need to play beyond themselves while LA would need to forget how to play basketball for you guys to win 4 of 7

I guess here's where I don't understand - what is dramatically different in the Lakers lineup this year vs. last year in the playoffs against the Spurs?

ElNono
02-24-2009, 12:14 AM

We would actually need to get better defensively, which we've been routinely doing for the past 8+ years...
To be honest, I would love to kick the Lakers out in the first round, just to get it over with. Alas, the rest of the west kind of suck ATM, so we'll have to wait a little longer.

underdawg
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Riiiight. If we meet in the playoffs again I'll bet you $100 (w/ 2-1 odds cause i'm such a nice guy--and THAT confident) that LA takes them again. This bet is on with or w/o Bynum if you're game.
BTW, I have never made an excuse about not having sasha or farmar. In fact I'm rather pissed w/ Sasha's play this year...he's not hitting the open shots.

Let me get you my address where to mail that benjamin to:

Fair enough about sasha and farmar - your buddy "tv show username" made that excuse and I just accepted it as a general Laker excuse - yours is the "fluke" shot and I'm ok with that. Fisher's .04 could be considered a "fluke" shot, but unfortunately for us "fluke" shots do count.

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
I guess here's where I don't understand - what is dramatically different in the Lakers lineup this year vs. last year in the playoffs against the Spurs?

It's not personnel so much as it is cohesion. Gasol's had a full season in the system, LO is playing with purpose, Ariza is healthy and giving us huge minutes (and excellent defense), Farmar has improved immensely, and hopefully Bynum comes back because he was playing lights out before he went down. This team is confident and they play pissed and with a purpose--almost as if Jackson shows them film of Game 6 of the Finals before each game. They're on a mission and they rarely have a "bad" game. Honestly, they've only been worked over in 2 games this (Detroit and @sacto).

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Let me get you my address where to mail that benjamin to:

Fair enough about sasha and farmar - your buddy "tv show username" made that excuse and I just accepted it as a general Laker excuse - yours is the "fluke" shot and I'm ok with that. Fisher's .04 could be considered a "fluke" shot, but unfortunately for us "fluke" shots do count.

i didnt call it a fluke..it was a miracle 3-point play and you guys won the game fair and square...I'm just saying the Spurs are gonna need that kinda effort 4 times in 7 games coupled w/ an LA meltdown to win that series. SA is overmatched.

Do you understand the parameters of the bet?

Capt Bringdown
02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
We are a team built to beat the Suns. Beating the eastern conference opponent is a given.
The Gasol trade changed everything and effectively put an end to the Spurs championship era.

underdawg
02-24-2009, 12:32 AM
It's not personnel so much as it is cohesion. Gasol's had a full season in the system, LO is playing with purpose, Ariza is healthy and giving us huge minutes (and excellent defense), Farmar has improved immensely, and hopefully Bynum comes back because he was playing lights out before he went down. This team is confident and they play pissed and with a purpose--almost as if Jackson shows them film of Game 6 of the Finals before each game. They're on a mission and they rarely have a "bad" game. Honestly, they've only been worked over in 2 games this (Detroit and @sacto).

I don't watch enough Lakers games to have an accurate "opinion" of Farmar, but his stats don't show that much improvement (yes, I know he was hurt.) I guess my point is that I think ultimately, the Spurs will have a better roster this year vs last year thanks to Mason and Hill. That said, I don't see a dramatic enough difference in the Lakers via improved performance to substantiate an automatic series win vs the Spurs. I'd also venture that a healthy Manu and an unhealthy Bynum would play a huge role as well.

underdawg
02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
We are a team built to beat the Suns. Beating the eastern conference opponent is a given.
The Gasol trade changed everything and effectively put an end to the Spurs championship era.

aww crap - we're done; maybe we'll try harder next year or maybe we'll get those pieces necessary to beat the Lakers :depressed

DeadlyDynasty
02-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't watch enough Lakers games to have an accurate "opinion" of Farmar, but his stats don't show that much improvement (yes, I know he was hurt.) I guess my point is that I think ultimately, the Spurs will have a better roster this year vs last year thanks to Mason and Hill. That said, I don't see a dramatic enough difference in the Lakers via improved performance to substantiate an automatic series win vs the Spurs. I'd also venture that a healthy Manu and an unhealthy Bynum would play a huge role as well.

well, they're both unhealthy right now so that's a moot point. Even w/ 2 weeks rest it's not like his ankle/foot is gonna get stronger playing 40 minutes a night on it. Injuries aside, let's just agree to disagree. You're not gonna be swayed by what I say and you won't sway me with what you say. At least you've been civil about it though, so best of luck to you guys and I hope we meet in the WCF again--wouldn't have it any other way

underdawg
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
well, they're both unhealthy right now so that's a moot point. Even w/ 2 weeks rest it's not like his ankle/foot is gonna get stronger playing 40 minutes a night on it. Injuries aside, let's just agree to disagree. You're not gonna be swayed by what I say and you won't sway me with what you say. At least you've been civil about it though, so best of luck to you guys and I hope we meet in the WCF again--wouldn't have it any other way
:toast

Pelicans78
02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
I think a healthy Hornets team have an equal chance with the Spurs to beat the Lakers. Why? I really don't know other than we have CP3 and anything is possible with him. They actually play the Lakers tougher in LA than any other team in the West. If we could just find a way to stay competitive with them on our own home floor :(

DrHouse
02-24-2009, 12:57 AM
If the Hornets can catch the Lakers WITHOUT BYNUM they definitely have a shot at taking them out. Moreso than SAS or any other WC team IMHO.

Pelicans78
02-24-2009, 01:03 AM
If the Hornets can catch the Lakers WITHOUT BYNUM they definitely have a shot at taking them out. Moreso than SAS or any other WC team IMHO.

The weird thing is, we might actually match up better with Bynum assuming PJ starts Gasol at PF against West because West scores on Gasol pretty easily and is strong enough to keep Gasol out of the paint. However, Odom can shut down West due to his athleticism and long arms. Chandler and Bynum would be an interesting matchup.

DrHouse
02-24-2009, 01:51 AM
The weird thing is, we might actually match up better with Bynum assuming PJ starts Gasol at PF against West because West scores on Gasol pretty easily and is strong enough to keep Gasol out of the paint. However, Odom can shut down West due to his athleticism and long arms. Chandler and Bynum would be an interesting matchup.

With all due respect I wouldn't put too much stock into these regular season games. I did not at any point feel like the Lakers gave it their all for the full 48 minutes in any of the games thus far. They would go up big by double digits into the 4th and expect to cruise the rest of the way. It almost bit them in the ass twice.

Pelicans78
02-24-2009, 02:00 AM
With all due respect I wouldn't put too much stock into these regular season games. I did not at any point feel like the Lakers gave it their all for the full 48 minutes in any of the games thus far. They would go up big by double digits into the 4th and expect to cruise the rest of the way. It almost bit them in the ass twice.

The first game in LA was different. We were winning most of the game until late in the 3rd quarter when you guys started to bomb away from 3-point land. We still came back to take the lead and put you guys away in the 4th once you stopped making the three's. That was because West was on fire since Odom was out of the game. His defense is crucial. Also Chandler was effective against Bynum and CP3 played a flawless. Its hard to win like that 4 times against the Lakers and I don't see it happening unless we have guys like Butler to produce out of nowhere. I wish we could get julian wright involved in the rotation since he is our most athletic player.

Ghazi
02-24-2009, 02:32 AM
lol, Lakers would smoke the Hornets. Homer

iggypop123
02-24-2009, 02:46 AM
The first game in LA was different. We were winning most of the game until late in the 3rd quarter when you guys started to bomb away from 3-point land. We still came back to take the lead and put you guys away in the 4th once you stopped making the three's. That was because West was on fire since Odom was out of the game. His defense is crucial. Also Chandler was effective against Bynum and CP3 played a flawless. Its hard to win like that 4 times against the Lakers and I don't see it happening unless we have guys like Butler to produce out of nowhere. I wish we could get julian wright involved in the rotation since he is our most athletic player.

that is the thing. cp3 and west were amazing and yet it was a 1 point game and no farmar, odom

Ghazi
02-24-2009, 06:15 AM
I think a healthy Hornets team have an equal chance with the Spurs to beat the Lakers. Why? I really don't know other than we have CP3 and anything is possible with him. They actually play the Lakers tougher in LA than any other team in the West. If we could just find a way to stay competitive with them on our own home floor :(

If by equal you mean 0%, I agree with you.

Why are you using injury excuses anyway? When the Hornets traded to OKC you were glad Chandler was getting traded, now you're using the injury as an excuse for why the team is 13-13 over its last 26 games?

Puhleez

Mutha fuckin fleeced

Hornets don't even belong in the conversation of teams that can KO the Lakers. Neither do the Spurs. Only Cavs and Celtics.

Pelicans78
02-24-2009, 12:21 PM
that is the thing. cp3 and west were amazing and yet it was a 1 point game and no farmar, odom

It was an 11 point game. Plus Kobe had 39 points after 3 quarters so let's not get carried away. Lakers were 13-19 from the 3-point line after 3 quarters. That was insane. That's the only reason the game was close. Once the Lakers started to miss their 3's., Hornets put them away. CP3 is always amazing against the Lakers in LA. They don't have an answer for him unless he stops himself. But Odom's loss was big. Gasol was too slow for West.

Pelicans78
02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
If by equal you mean 0%, I agree with you.

Why are you using injury excuses anyway? When the Hornets traded to OKC you were glad Chandler was getting traded, now you're using the injury as an excuse for why the team is 13-13 over its last 26 games?

Puhleez

Mutha fuckin fleeced

Hornets don't even belong in the conversation of teams that can KO the Lakers. Neither do the Spurs. Only Cavs and Celtics.

If every other team can use injuries as an excuse why can't we?

turiaf for president
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
lakers havent used bynums injury as an excuse. they are 10-1 without him this year.

Pelicans78
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
lakers havent used bynums injury as an excuse. they are 10-1 without him this year.

but they used Odom's injury as an excuse when they lost to the Hornets :toast

iggypop123
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
It was an 11 point game. Plus Kobe had 39 points after 3 quarters so let's not get carried away. Lakers were 13-19 from the 3-point line after 3 quarters. That was insane. That's the only reason the game was close. Once the Lakers started to miss their 3's., Hornets put them away. CP3 is always amazing against the Lakers in LA. They don't have an answer for him unless he stops himself. But Odom's loss was big. Gasol was too slow for West.

i wouldn't count garbage time free throws