PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats Want To Dump Nazr Mohammed

Duncan2177
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/553097.html

The last thing I'd do is dissuade the Charlotte Bobcats from spending what it takes to build a consistent playoff team.

Rather, the question I'd pose is how they're spending that money, because the margin for error is narrowing.

I received some new salary numbers that reflect both the Bobcats' payroll commitment and what the NBA projects to be a shrinking salary cap and luxury-tax threshold over the next two seasons.

The league has warned teams that the cap likely will drop each of the next two seasons. The Bobcats already are committed to about $57.7million in salaries for next season, about $400,000 more than the projected cap number.

Being above the cap is no crisis, it's the norm. It's a much bigger deal to exceed the luxury-tax threshold, projected to be $69.4million next season.

Spending above the tax limit has severe financial consequences, and managing partner Michael Jordan said he wouldn't consider it unless the Bobcats were on the verge of a championship.

While the Bobcats are well below that tax threshold for now, that $57.7million payroll has to grow. It doesn't include the $5.5million qualifying offer the Bobcats must make, to restrict Raymond Felton's free agency this summer. And it doesn't include what the Bobcats would pay a top-16 pick (Nos.17 and beyond, and that pick will head to Denver as compensation for the pick that became Alexis Ajinca).

So figure that $57.7million is really $64million-plus already and then you're limiting your options on how to grow.

What to do? It's no secret the Bobcats would love to unload the remaining $13million-plus on center Nazr Mohammed's contract. He hasn't played in four games, and it's obvious coach Larry Brown is committed to Gana Diop behind Emeka Okafor.

Moving Mohammed won't be easy; moving him without taking back a similar contract will be really tough. The past two trades, acquiring Diop and Vladimir Radmanovic, both add to their long-term salary obligations.

There are some smaller things the Bobcats can do: Not making Sean May a qualifying offer (making him an unrestricted free agent) would avoid guaranteeing him $3.68 million next season. And cutting Sean Singletary before September would save nearly $500,000 against the cap.

benefactor
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Unless they are talking buyout...there is nothing to see here.

buttsR4rebounding
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
This article makes no sense unless he's talking about doing something over the summer. There is no more "taking back salary" it is only buying out or wait unitl the summer when you can bet Nazr will be in high demand...:p:

ploto
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
They tried to trade him before the deadline, but no go.

NFGIII
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Nazr has hands of stone and I believe his trade value will decrease as time goes on. But this is about the changing nature of sports in these economic times. Eonomic factors now playing a far more significant role than in the past. Going to be interesting how it all works out.

Blake
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
first talks of Rasho and now talks of Nazr......

I can't take the up and down emotional highs and lows of these type of rumors.

sananspursfan21
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
that's too good to be true, spurs could really use nazr again...

PDXSpursFan
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
first talks of Rasho and now talks of Nazr......

I can't take the up and down emotional highs and lows of these type of rumors.

Next is to start talking about bringing Elson back :bang

Blake
02-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Man, if only Horry was available........

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
The Bobcats' wanting to do something and actually doing it are two completely different things. I'd take Nazr back if they bought him out and could be signed as a free agent to a minimal contract, as I would with Rasho. Both guys were good members of this team and left for financial reasons. For the right money there's no reason not to want one of them back. I'm not far from suggesting that I'd rather have Elson back than Horry.

PDXSpursFan
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Question:

Why would we want Nazr back? We dropped him for a reason. Same w/ Rasho and Horry. We need some new blood and Mikki Moore would do the trick:downspin:

http://bikemag.com/columns/mullet.jpg:lobt::lobt::lobt:

Answer:

The Bobcats' wanting to do something and actually doing it are two completely different things. I'd take Nazr back if they bought him out and could be signed as a free agent to a minimal contract, as I would with Rasho. Both guys were good members of this team and left for financial reasons. For the right money there's no reason not to want one of them back. I'm not far from suggesting that I'd rather have Elson back than Horry.

CIA Pop
02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Nazr didn't do anything for us the last time - Holt knows we gave him enough chances.

Holt's Cat
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
We're so screwed.

xtremesteven33
02-23-2009, 05:33 PM
haha Holts Cat.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I guess you are right, but he was playing like garbage when they traded him away and hasn't played well since.

Steerike TWO!

He left via free agency.

:bang

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Nazr didn't do anything for us the last time - Holt knows we gave him enough chances.

Tough to contribute from the bench. As long as he doesn't hit any more three pointers he should be safe.

sananspursfan21
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM

sure, he did just enough, he's better than he sometimes gets credit for. don't try to put some link to his stats on here or anything, he's not a stat stacker. he reminds me of reggie evans as far as team value goes. when you watched the spurs play, you didn't think much of him, but when he left and timmy was the only rebounder, you might have realized his value with an enormous wing span. i think he'd be good to get back

AFBlue
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
sure, he did just enough, he's better than he sometimes gets credit for. don't try to put some link to his stats on here or anything, he's not a stat stacker. he reminds me of reggie evans as far as team value goes. when you watched the spurs play, you didn't think much of him, but when he left and timmy was the only rebounder, you might have realized his value with an enormous wing span. i think he'd be good to get back

Nazr's stats have nothing to do with why he won't be back with the team anytime soon. His contract on the other hand...

Let's put it this way, Tim didn't leave $11M on the table so the Spurs could trade for Nazr Mohammed.

PDXSpursFan
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Nazr's stats have nothing to do with why he won't be back with the team anytime soon. His contract on the other hand...

Let's put it this way, Tim didn't leave $11M on the table so the Spurs could trade for Nazr Mohammed.

I don't think that anyone here is thinking about signing Nazr for a long term contract. It would only be to a minimum contract until the end of the season and only if he's waived by the Bobcats.

ploto
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
If you have followed them since they left SA, there is a vast difference between the play of Rasho and that of Nazr in the past 3 years, regardless of whatever stats you find.

Agloco
02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.unisa.edu.au/businessteaching/PASS/PassLogo.jpg

Spurs Brazil
02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Tough to contribute from the bench. As long as he doesn't hit any more three pointers he should be safe.

He wasn't playing very well in 06 and than that triple in the last possession of the 1st game of the playoffs killed any chance with Pop

sprrs
02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Steerike TWO!

He left via free agency.

:bang

If I remember correctly the Spurs weren't exactly jumping at the chance to re-sign him either.

E20
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
If I remember correctly the Spurs weren't exactly jumping at the chance to re-sign him either.

Spurs offered him 4 years 28 million, Nazr refused.

Yeah but Nazr was playing decent and against the Kings in '06 in the 1st round of the PO's he hit a three and that didn't go to well with Pop so he was benched forever.

MarHill
02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I would rather have Rasho than Nazr!

Nazr is clumsy and I remember he was Pop's doghouse as well during the '06 playoffs.

I have to post though...boy it's getting tough when ST posters are wishing for Nazr and Rasho!!

What's next Elson or Tony Massenburg? :lol

HarlemHeat37
02-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Rasho would be my #1 buy out option..but Nazr wouldn't be so bad..he's bigger than Kurt, and he can block shots, so that's good enough for me..

TDMVPDPOY
02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
free NAZR

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Why would we want Nazr back? We dropped him for a reason. Same w/ Rasho and Horry. We need some new blood and Mikki Moore would do the trick:downspin:

http://bikemag.com/columns/mullet.jpg:lobt::lobt::lobt:

Dude I love your signature! LFMAO!! Looking over the posts on this thread reminds me how many suckass centers the Spurs have had since Dave has gone. I think Oberto and Kurt are the best ones.

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
I have to post though...boy it's getting tough when ST posters are wishing for Nazr and Rasho!!

LOL! So true.:lol

suitedkings
02-23-2009, 10:35 PM
dwayne schintzius

Austin_Toros
02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Spurs offered him 4 years 28 million, Nazr refused.

Yeah but Nazr was playing decent and against the Kings in '06 in the 1st round of the PO's he hit a three and that didn't go to well with Pop so he was benched forever.

He should have just taken the damn offer.
But let me get this straight- he hit a three ball and Pop was angry????

Kevin Willis.

kbrury
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
First of all Im not calling for a trade because our bigs are playing well. That being said if we needed a big near the deadline do you think Pop would give Nazr a second chance? Hes been playing really well lately.

Last 10 games average 10 points 5 rebounds 1 block in about 15 minutes per game
Against Boston tonight he had 16 and 5

But right now as I said earlier I only like this if the play of our bigs drop off later in the season.

lefty
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Nazr is badass

This is what happened tonight

OZe5VjAx_N4

HarlemHeat37
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
A few of us were talking about this last month..I'm definitely all for it, but it depends who gets dumped..we would have to dump Bonner or Mason to get him unless I'm wrong..

Flux451
12-01-2009, 10:06 PM
He should have just taken the damn offer.
But let me get this straight- he hit a three ball and Pop was angry????

Kevin Willis.

love the sig

pesky Blake, only a bump under the bulldozer

thispego
12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Nazr for haislip and mahinmi! Do it!

thispego
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
love the sig

pesky Blake, only a bump under the bulldozer

ROFL, yeah, blake trying his damndest to box out Duncan :lmao

TIMMYD!
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Fuck KG.

mando6599
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
KG = Punk
Jason Terry = Punk

KG + Terry = SuperPunks

Spurs will Punk the Celtics

That's why a win on Thursday will be even sweeter b/c I don't like Garnett.

BOOK IT! WOOT!

benefactor
12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
We don't have the contracts to make it work. Plus he is on the hook for almost 7 million next year. That's a little steep for him.

Solid D
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't care to see Nazr back with the Spurs, even at a discounted rate. Let him pump-fake his way into someone else's shot clock violation.

Besides, the Spurs will need money for the chance to lure Splitter, not to mention a chance to re-sign Ginobili.

benefactor
12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't care to see Nazr back with the Spurs, even at a discounted rate. Let him pump-fake his way into someone else's shot clock violation.

Besides, the Spurs will need money for the chance to lure Splitter, not to mention a chance to re-sign Ginobili.
Indeed. If RJ picks up his option(and he will), then the Spurs will be on the hook for 56 million in current contracts. Mohammed's money alone would push that number to almost 63 million.

thispego
12-01-2009, 10:53 PM

That's true :depressed but why bank on splitter who's punked us before?

how much does mahinimi cost?

Vinnie_Johnson
12-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Nazr is bad with butter fingers

This is what happened tonight

OZe5VjAx_N4

Fixed

lefty
12-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Fixed
Well, it's easier to put fingers in a bad ass with the help of butter.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2009, 11:07 PM
dunno why u wanna start shit with KG when his going to backup and act all innocent when he starts shit with other players, waitin for the refs and shit to bail his out...

thispego
12-01-2009, 11:07 PM
ehhhhhhhhh

Vinnie_Johnson
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Well, it's easier to put fingers in a bad ass with the help of butter.

I will take your word on that.:lol

exstatic
12-02-2009, 01:21 AM
No more Nazr. He had some talent, but never reached his potential. Those players don't do well on the Spurs.

AFAIK, the Spurs never made him an offer. They went ahead over the next few years and signed Fab, JBut and 'Cisco Elson, rather than re-sign Nazr.

The Truth #6
12-02-2009, 01:42 AM
I believe Nazr declined an extension the Summer after the championship, which didn't sit well with the FO. He didn't play as much after that for whatever reason and seemed to be happy to move on. Not sure why he would want to come back, nor why Pop would want him back.

More importantly, what unique skill does he bring, other than hands of stone? Blair is probably a better offensive rebounder already.

I love what he did back in 05 for us, but I don't see him coming back.

slick'81
12-02-2009, 02:16 AM
if he was bought out sure hell its not like ians gonna get out of a suit this season

admiralsnackbar
12-02-2009, 03:17 AM

Jackie Butler! Bring that beat back! :lol

lurker23
12-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Forget all the guys mentioned in this thread. I want Mengke Bateer back.

In all seriousness...

This.

mountainballer
12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
first off:
Nazr was on the block last season and likely so this summer, but I do doubt he still is.
he is playing well, while Diop is Brown's doghouse forever and Chandlers health is always a question mark. this season Bobcats see the chance to qualify for the PO (otherwise they wouldn't have traded for Sjax). IMO a trade is unlikely, a buyout even more.

and I agree with all who state that the Spurs won't touch his contract. Spurs big rotation next season will be Tim-Dice-Splitter-Blair. maybe even Bonner. I really can't see from where Nazr would take his minutes. he would be a 7 million 5-10MPG player. if Spurs are tax payers next season (they will be if they re sign Manu), he becomes a 14 million 5-10 MPG player. ouch!

lurker23
12-02-2009, 07:17 AM
and I agree with all who state that the Spurs won't touch his contract. Spurs big rotation next season will be Tim-Dice-Splitter-Blair. maybe even Bonner.

I was thinking about this a day or two ago, and I agree. I would love a Duncan-McDyess-Splitter-Blair-Bonner rotation. Then they probably throw their typical defense-first veteran in the 6th slot, with Ratliff having a good chance to come back if he performs well in the latter half of the season and/or playoffs.

tav1
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
first off:
Nazr was on the block last season and likely so this summer, but I do doubt he still is.
he is playing well, while Diop is Brown's doghouse forever and Chandlers health is always a question mark. this season Bobcats see the chance to qualify for the PO (otherwise they wouldn't have traded for Sjax). IMO a trade is unlikely, a buyout even more.

and I agree with all who state that the Spurs won't touch his contract. Spurs big rotation next season will be Tim-Dice-Splitter-Blair. maybe even Bonner. I really can't see from where Nazr would take his minutes. he would be a 7 million 5-10MPG player. if Spurs are tax payers next season (they will be if they re sign Manu), he becomes a 14 million 5-10 MPG player. ouch!

This seems dead on to me. It seems to me that if the Spurs trade for a big (assuming Splitter bolts for the NBA) they'd do well to target someone who is more of a swing forward. Otherwise, they simply won't have the minutes and could send the wrong signals to Splitter. In other words, if they make a trade it will be for someone who can play behind Jefferson or as more of a small ball 4. In theory, this player could have been Gist or Haislip, but neither of them seem good enough to stick in the NBA. So it's back to the drawing board.

The problem is that they're not a lot of players that have the right skills sets and contracts for the Spurs.

Others will disagree, but I don't think the Spurs will trade Bonner. Realistically, they have the salaries of Mason, Finley, Mahinmi, and Haislip to include in some combination on trade proposals.

Sissiborgo
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Nazr and Rasho are players that i hate!

nkdlunch
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
WTF???

why don't we bring back the Kiwi while we at it

bigbendbruisebrother
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
dwayne schintzius

I see your Schintzius and raise you a Brickowski.

MaNu4Tres
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Richard Jefferson/ Ian Mahimni for Gerald Wallace and Nazr Mohammed?

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
so do you guys believe in Ratliff? because that's pretty much going to be our hope going into the playoffs, even if the team is fully healthy..so while Duncan/McDyess is fine and will compete with anybody, our 3rd and 4th bigs are soft and didn't look good in the playoffs last year(Bonner) and an undersized, inexperienced rookie(Blair)..

depth up front is going to be very important..

the dilemma here obviously involved the potential acquisition of Splitter, and involves probably having to deal at least 1 of our 2 sharp shooters(Bonner/Mason)..

if we're waiting to pay Splitter, which is probably the right move, we very well could be sacrificing a season, at least IMO..

Nazr isn't a savior or anything, but he's a good enough 3rd big as an alternative to Blair/Bonner/Ratliff IMO..

ElNono
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm ok with Ratliff... and it's clear to me at this point that Bonner isn't going anywhere. Pop loves him, much like Finley. I have a feeling that barring any major injuries or last minute super bargains, this is the team we're going to war with.

EP Money Man
12-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Bobcats want to dump Nazr Mohammed.

I want to take a dump on Nazr Mohammed.

K-State Spur
12-03-2009, 08:05 AM
so do you guys believe in Ratliff? because that's pretty much going to be our hope going into the playoffs, even if the team is fully healthy..so while Duncan/McDyess is fine and will compete with anybody, our 3rd and 4th bigs are soft and didn't look good in the playoffs last year(Bonner) and an undersized, inexperienced rookie(Blair)..

the dilemma here obviously involved the potential acquisition of Splitter, and involves probably having to deal at least 1 of our 2 sharp shooters(Bonner/Mason)..

if we're waiting to pay Splitter, which is probably the right move, we very well could be sacrificing a season, at least IMO..

Nazr isn't a savior or anything, but he's a good enough 3rd big as an alternative to Blair/Bonner/Ratliff IMO..

I feel very comfortable saying that this postseason will not hinge on whether or not Nazr is on the roster.

Nazr didn't work as the 2nd or 3rd big in 2006, why would he now? Also, if Nazr is our third big - Pop's going small ball, consider that.

Seventyniner
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Richard Jefferson/ Ian Mahimni for Gerald Wallace and Nazr Mohammed?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come up with this (+/- Mahinmi). I think I'd do it, though the Bobcats can't be that desperate to dump salary.

benefactor
12-03-2009, 09:20 AM

I think it would be much easier to swallow if we weren't looking at almost 7 million for him next season. With the cap expected to go even lower, we would lose a lot of flexibility financially.

HarlemHeat37
12-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Nazr doesn't have to be my example, it works for any potential acquisition of a big man..if we acquire a big man to help, it'll affect Splitter next year, and it'll affect Bonner/Mason/Finley in a way..

Hopefully Ratliff can be the guy, or hopefully Blair can continue improving..we'll see..

benefactor
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I hear ya man. A lot will depend on where this front line is when we are approaching the deadline.

crc21209
12-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Nazr was pretty good for the Spurs when he was brought here in 05'...had a couple of 20 point+ games If I remember correctly, but in 06' he completely dissapeared...maybe because of Pop's decision to go small ball though..

crc21209
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm ok with Ratliff... and it's clear to me at this point that Bonner isn't going anywhere. Pop loves him, much like Finley. I have a feeling that barring any major injuries or last minute super bargains, this is the team we're going to war with.

+1. When it is all said and done and this team gets everything together...I think they can get it done. :tu