PDA

View Full Version : 21-Year-Old Man Dies After Winning Tequila-Drinking Contest

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 12:39 PM
POSTED: 7:43 am EST March 8, 2005

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- One person is dead and three are gravely ill after a tequila-drinking competition in Santo Domingo.

The winner of the contest died. Ricardo Ivan Garcia drank more than 50 shots of tequila Sunday night at Santo Domingo's Blanc, Dance and Lounge discotheque to win the prize of $330 -- 10,000 pesos -- at a Mexican night celebration.

A prosecutor said the man died of apparent heart failure brought on by alcohol poisoning. Three other contestants remain in serious condition in a hospital.

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Stupid ass club ownership should be put in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

Duff McCartney
03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Damn...I dunno about 50 shots though...how the hell did he keep count? Cause I know after ten...I lose count.

travis2
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
One tequila...
Two tequila...
Three tequila...
FLOOR!

Duff McCartney
03-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Who gets knocked out after three shots?

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2005, 01:51 PM
hmmmm...looks like the start of another classic "Duff drunk driving" thread....

bigzak25
03-08-2005, 01:59 PM
i think i could seriously handle 6 tequila shots and then gimme some ice water.....that's more than enough for the night.

tlongII
03-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I believe the dude that drank over 50 shots should be eligible for the Darwin award this year.

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I believe the dude that drank over 50 shots should be eligible for the Darwin award this year.

My point is, is after about 10 shots, you are not able to use judgement and therefore are not responsible for any further actions. The club is responsible.

jalbre6
03-08-2005, 03:04 PM
C'mon guys, nobody else here did a tequila shot contest in Matamoros over Spring Break? Oh, OK. :depressed

They use a fluted shot glass in these contests that holds 3/4's of an ounce. So, this guy drank 37.5 ounces of tequila, a little more than an entire liter (34 ounces).

MannyIsGod
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
If you're stupid enough to enter a Tequila drinking contest, I can't feel much pity for you having exited the gene pool.

Seriusly though, 50 shots? Dude had a Alcohol Blood level at that point, not a Blood Alcohol level. There may have been .08 blood in that alcohol going through his veins.

ducks
03-08-2005, 04:00 PM
My point is, is after about 10 shots, you are not able to use judgement and therefore are not responsible for any further actions. The club is responsible.

I suppose you think the gun manufacters are responsible because they made the gun and someone killed someone with it to

people need to be responisbible for THEIR OWN ACTIONS and not TRY TO BLAME OTHERS

bigzak25
03-08-2005, 04:06 PM
it's a stupid contest....they should make it who can drink, i don't know...10 shots the fastest and run a lap.....i remember the same thing happened in like, russia or something last year, when a guy drank a whole bottle of vodka, he won, but he passed out and probobaly still doesn't know he's dead...oh well, hopefully others read this and realize their limits before entering such a contest in the future....

DrRich
03-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey, atleast he won!!

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I suppose you think the gun manufacters are responsible because they made the gun and someone killed someone with it to

people need to be responisbible for THEIR OWN ACTIONS and not TRY TO BLAME OTHERS

Well, if you had 10 shots and then someone put a gun to your head and put your finger on the trigger, that person would be doing the same thing as if he poured another 40 shots of liquor for you.

The bar is liable.

desflood
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Natural selection is a wonderful thing...

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
http://patmaloney.com/images/patsr.jpg

I agree with Jim!

jalbre6
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
http://convertalot.com/bac.html

Calculates an individual's blood alcohol content based on the quantity of beverages consumed, the alcohol percentage in each drink, the person's weight, and the time spent consuming the drink.

FLUID OUNCES CONSUMED: 37.5
YOUR WEIGHT (Lbs): 180
ALCOHOL PERCENTAGE IN BEVERAGE: 38%
HOURS CONSUMING DRINK: 2

BAC Percentage: 0.56375 %

BAC Analysis: In MOST*and possibly ALL states you would be considered intoxicated and arrested for DUI. :spin

ducks
03-08-2005, 05:28 PM
blame the bar after all it is legal in to sell the drinks
they got the license from the city or state they were in to sell the drinks
blame the bar for trying to make a living and obeying the law
it is the 21 year old guy he died not the bar's
if the bar would not give him the drinks they would have gotten them and drank them at their house.
a 21 year old is old enough to make respoinsible decisions
i

timvp
03-08-2005, 05:31 PM
http://convertalot.com/bac.html

Calculates an individual's blood alcohol content based on the quantity of beverages consumed, the alcohol percentage in each drink, the person's weight, and the time spent consuming the drink.

FLUID OUNCES CONSUMED: 37.5
YOUR WEIGHT (Lbs): 180
ALCOHOL PERCENTAGE IN BEVERAGE: 38%
HOURS CONSUMING DRINK: 2

BAC Percentage: 0.56375 %

BAC Analysis: In MOST*and possibly ALL states you would be considered intoxicated and arrested for DUI. :spin

I think that still come in below the legal limit in Wisconsin.

:drunk

tekdragon
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
tlong hit it right on the head.

God bless you, Charles Darwin!

When will you be coming for LakerGod?

MannyIsGod
03-08-2005, 05:42 PM
This is not the same as a gun manufactuer Ducks. I for one hate lawsuits that shift the blame, but I definetly hve to admit the bar would be very liable here. You're not talking about giving him one or 2 extra shots and not reconizing that he was too drunk to drive his own vehicle, you are talking about administering an insane amount of alcohol to a person that is obviously in no condition to consume anymore.

Alcohol poisining would have occoured at a much lower amount of alcohol. In reality, even hosting a tequila drinking contest of that nature is asking for a lawsuit. But administering 20 shots would have been far too many, and they went more than double that.

This is not only neglegiance, this is extreme ridiculous negligence.

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 05:45 PM
i guess that is why we have TABC here in Texas..

Kori Ellis
03-08-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't put it on the bar.

The guy entered a TEQUILA DRINKING CONTEST. If the bartender held a gun to his head and forced him to enter the contest, then it's on the bar. But if you enter a contest where you know you have to consume as much alcohol as you physically can, then YOU are responsible.

It's not the same as being in a bar and being drunk off your ass and still being served.

JoeChalupa
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
That's why they call it "takillya".

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
This is not the same as a gun manufactuer Ducks. I for one hate lawsuits that shift the blame, but I definetly hve to admit the bar would be very liable here. You're not talking about giving him one or 2 extra shots and not reconizing that he was too drunk to drive his own vehicle, you are talking about administering an insane amount of alcohol to a person that is obviously in no condition to consume anymore.

Alcohol poisining would have occoured at a much lower amount of alcohol. In reality, even hosting a tequila drinking contest of that nature is asking for a lawsuit. But administering 20 shots would have been far too many, and they went more than double that.

This is not only neglegiance, this is extreme ridiculous negligence.

Hey, we were all 21 at one time and did some stupid dangerous things...kids do that, especially if they are pressured to keep drinking by the crowd. My point is, nobody can make a smart decision after they are drunk. Manny is right, this is beyond irresponsible, these people need to be jailed and tried for manslaughter.

How would you like this to happen to one of your relatives...it happens all too often. Binge drinking is dangerous and needs to be stopped and if it take some people being thrown in prison to get the attention, then so be it.

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 05:50 PM

The guy entered a TEQUILA DRINKING CONTEST. If the bartender held a gun to his head and forced him to enter the contest, then it's on the bar. But if you enter a contest where you know you have to consume as much alcohol as you physically can, then YOU are responsible.

It's not the same as being in a bar and being drunk off your ass and still being served.

Kori, just having a drinking contest is negligent and dangerous...they were putting poison down someone's throat...it is manslaughter, nothing less.

MannyIsGod
03-08-2005, 05:52 PM

You explain to me legaly how there is a difference when both involve the serving of alcohol to an intoxicated person, and I'll say you missed your calling.

This guy didn't buy a couple of bottles from a liqour store, he was given shots. It's the bars responsiblity to asses if it's ok to sell him liqour.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Kori, just having a drinking contest is negligent is dangerous

If you want to outlaw drinking contests, then that's a different story. But if you are upset that they served this guy too much in a drinking contest, then that's on the guy for entering.

You can't sue the bar for serving too much, he entered and knew what it was. You can maybe try to pass a bill that all drinking contests are illegal.

But people can't just sue when they put themselves in dangerous situation. There's a level of personal liability. If you die falling off a mountain when you're mountain climbing, if you die skydiving, if you die drinking in a drinking contest, that's on you. These are high risk activities. Use your brain and just don't do it.

MannyIsGod
03-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Actually, you can sue someone when they are wreckless and had the opportunity to stop something and didn't.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2005, 05:58 PM
You explain to me legaly how there is a difference when both involve the serving of alcohol to an intoxicated person, and I'll say you missed your calling.

If you are at a bar and drunk off your ass, then it's their responsibility to say you've had enough.

When you enter a drinking contest and they see you drunk off your ass, then it's NOT their responsibility to say you've had enough -- You entered the contest knowing full well that the point was to DRINK AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

Just don't enter.

If you tell me this guy was already drunk when he was coerced into entering, that's a different story.

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
http://patmaloney.com/images/patsr.jpg

if that contest had been held in Texas I would not only own the bar but would wring that guys nut for every penny he had...

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Seriously Kori...it is a fairly well established fact that a BAC over .35 is potentially fatal...Bar professionals of all people should know the dangers...continuing to feed those drunk assholes shots after they were WAY past the fatal limit was criminally negligent...

timvp
03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
POSTED: 7:43 am EST March 8, 2005

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- One person is dead and three are gravely ill after a tequila-drinking competition in Santo Domingo.

Y'all don't know how we handle bizniss down there. 50 tequilla shots ain't nothing. You know we have to be drunk off our asses to master the slow ass game of baseball.

http://zhenghe.tripod.com/flags/big/dominicanrepublic.jpg

http://www.fenwaynation.com/ORTIZ_HEAVEN.jpg

http://www.baseballxxl.de/Stars/_Stars_2/sammy_sosa01.jpg

http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/080997rijo_371x500.jpg

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
in texas...it is the establishment's job to determine if someone has had too much... if someone gets drunk at your restaurant, kills himself on the way home...the last place to have served him can be held liable...

this contest took place in some other country... w/o the law, it is his responsibility for drinking so much

Kori Ellis
03-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Bar professionals of all people should know the dangers...

People entering drinking contests are fully aware of the dangers of alcohol poisoning as well, and they should choose not to enter them.

There's a level of personal responsiblity that is becoming non-existent in the world.

My guess is that since this was in the Dominican Republic, there's not going to be any major lawsuit or world-changing legislation come out of it.

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 06:20 PM
People entering drinking contests are fully aware of the dangers of alcohol poisoning as well, and they should choose not to enter them.

There's a level of personal responsiblity that is becoming non-existent in the world.

My guess is that since this was in the Dominican Republic, there's not going to be any major lawsuit or world-changing legislation come out of it.

except if the person was already drunk and not fully aware of anything...

JoeChalupa
03-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey, we were all 21 at one time and did some stupid dangerous things...kids do that, especially if they are pressured to keep drinking by the crowd. My point is, nobody can make a smart decision after they are drunk. Manny is right, this is beyond irresponsible, these people need to be jailed and tried for manslaughter.

How would you like this to happen to one of your relatives...it happens all too often. Binge drinking is dangerous and needs to be stopped and if it take some people being thrown in prison to get the attention, then so be it.

I think this young man's death is attention enough to get me not to binge drink.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
except if the person was already drunk and not fully aware of anything...

Yeah, that's what I already said.

If you tell me this guy was already drunk when he was coerced into entering, that's a different story.

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Kori, this bar offered money for people to drink themselves way past the legal and lethal limit, and they showed no responsibility at all by allowing people to consume a poison at those levels. They are liable, because they offered money for people to kill themselves.

Kori, this is no different than having a Russian Roulet contest.

Just because someone is dumb enough to join one, that does not mean that you are not liable when you offer it. If someone blows their brains out, even though they pulled the trigger, you are liable because you opened the contest.

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 06:27 PM
it depends on the laws of the country/state/county they are in... if there is no law against dangerous contests... the bar may not be held liable... for all we know they signed a waiver..

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 06:28 PM
I am against frivolous law suits, but this is murder IMO.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Just because someone is dumb enough to join one, that does not mean that you are not liable when you offer it.

Yes Jim, that would be true if drinking contests were illegal.

jalbre6
03-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't care if it's the Dominican Republic or in the US, don't you think the bar made them sign a waiver?

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't care if it's the Dominican Republic or in the US, don't you think the bar made them sign a waiver?

then you can say...if one person is intoxicated when they sign the waiver, they had no idea of what they were signing..the waiver could still be void...

depends on the laws of the area..

Drachen
03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
blame the bar after all it is legal in to sell the drinks
they got the license from the city or state they were in to sell the drinks
blame the bar for trying to make a living and obeying the law
it is the 21 year old guy he died not the bar's
if the bar would not give him the drinks they would have gotten them and drank them at their house.
a 21 year old is old enough to make respoinsible decisions
i

Well that is the law in texas, if a bar serves you alcohol to the point you are drunk and you go out and hurt yourself or someone else, the bar can be held liable.

ShoogarBear
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
In some cases, bartenders in the US have been held responsible for serving drinks to someone who has then gone out and killed/maimed someone while DUI.

Kori, taking what you claim to its limit, a bartender could get off by always just claiming that they were holding a "contest" and therefore not responsible for continuing to serve the drinks.

desflood
03-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Actually, you can sue someone when they are wreckless and had the opportunity to stop something and didn't.
LAWYER (to farmer on witness stand): "So, you admit it! You grew the corn used by the distillary to make the liquor bought by the bar which served my client, which caused him to have an accident while driving home drunk!"

Clandestino
03-09-2005, 12:13 AM
In some cases, bartenders in the US have been held responsible for serving drinks to someone who has then gone out and killed/maimed someone while DUI.

Kori, taking what you claim to its limit, a bartender could get off by always just claiming that they were holding a "contest" and therefore not responsible for continuing to serve the drinks.

in texas the bartender is not liable..the establishment is the one who gets sued..

Guru of Nothing
03-09-2005, 12:15 AM
I like a cold beer (or shot) as much as the next guy, but why do we wage a war against drugs and yet ignore that which kills the most?

Convenience.

Guru of Nothing
03-09-2005, 12:22 AM
If you want to outlaw drinking contests, then that's a different story. But if you are upset that they served this guy too much in a drinking contest, then that's on the guy for entering.

You can't sue the bar for serving too much, he entered and knew what it was. You can maybe try to pass a bill that all drinking contests are illegal.

Are drinking contests legal in the U.S.?

Clandestino
03-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I like a cold beer (or shot) as much as the next guy, but why do we wage a war against drugs and yet ignore that which kills the most?

Convenience.

there is such a thing as responsible alcohol use, but there is no such thing as responsible crack or heroin use...

Guru of Nothing
03-09-2005, 12:35 AM
there is such a thing as responsible alcohol use, but there is no such thing as responsible crack or heroin use...

Yeah, but there is such a thing as responsible marijuana use too.

But you know that.

Guru of Nothing
03-09-2005, 12:50 AM
there is such a thing as responsible alcohol use,

and there is such a thing as irresponsible marketing in my eyes.

People have propensities for an addiction to alcohol, and yet we bombard them with temptation in every media outlet known. I guess that's their tough shit .... make that "our" tough shit, should their alcoholism spill over into our personal lives should they accidently kill or injure a loved one.

Oops. Looks like I got off topic. Sorry.

AlamoSpursFan
03-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Damn...I dunno about 50 shots though...how the hell did he keep count? Cause I know after ten...I lose count.

I think we lost sight of the most important tidbit of information to be gleaned from this thread.

Duff is a Tracy Byrd fan.

I walked in, the band just started.
The singer couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
Was on a mission to drown her memory but
I thought "no way" with all this ruckus

But after one round with Jose Cuervo
I caught my boots tapping long with the beat
And after two rounds with Jose Cuervo
That band was sounding pretty darn good to me

Then some stranger asked me to dance
And I revealed to her my two left feet
Said, "Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you asked
But tonight's about me and an old memory"

Then after three rounds with Jose Cuervo
I let her lead me out on the floor
And after four rounds with Jose Cuervo
I was showing off moves never seen before

Well around five or round six
I forgot what I came to forget
And after round seven, or was it eight?
I bought a round for the whole dang place

And after nine rounds with Jose Cuervo
They were countin' me out, an' I was about to give in
And after ten rounds with Jose Cuervo
I lost count and started counting again

One round with Jose Cuervo
I went two rounds with Jose Cuervo
Three rounds with Jose Cuervo

Go on and get me another one, whooo
Five, or was it four
Four or five, yeah!
Six rounds with Jose Cuervo
Eight rounds with Jose Cuervo....

:lol

ShoogarBear
03-09-2005, 04:59 AM
in texas the bartender is not liable..the establishment is the one who gets sued..

Okay, but for the purpose of this argument "bartender" and "establishment" are interchangeable. It means the party serving the booze.

travis2
03-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Kori, this is no different than having a Russian Roulet contest.

Jim...what's Roulet?

For someone who's been to Vegas as often as you have, I'd think by now you'd know how to spell Roulette...:lol

Useruser666
03-09-2005, 09:19 AM
If this event took place in the US the club would be sued to the next dimension.

If it were in Texas, they would be held criminally negligent.

The guy was stupid to enter the contest, but the club is responsible for his death as they were the providers of the shots. You can not sign a waiver that excludes you from being punished as a result of breaking a state law or federal law. I can not have you sign a waiver that allows me to kill you.

None of this matters since it all took place in a foreign country with who knows what kinds of laws on the books.

Clandestino
03-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, but there is such a thing as responsible marijuana use too.

But you know that.

i think only for medicinal purposes...

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Jim...what's Roulet?

For someone who's been to Vegas as often as you have, I'd think by now you'd know how to spell Roulette...:lol

That is Kori's game, not mine. :angel

bigzak25
03-09-2005, 11:16 AM
i think only for medicinal purposes...

like my glaucoma.... :smokin :p

CommanderMcBragg
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
And my appetite.

Guru of Nothing
03-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Think of the government revenue if marijuana was legal (and taxed heavily) and an added tax for munchies.

MannyIsGod
03-09-2005, 01:01 PM

I would say that responsible heavy drug use is possible as well.

If I shoot up in the privacy of my own home, and dnot' bother a soul, what's irresponsible about that?

MannyIsGod
03-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Think of the government revenue if marijuana was legal (and taxed heavily) and an added tax for munchies.

I still maintain tht when they legalize weed, I'm going to make a fortune off the joint/bag of dorritos combo pack.

Clandestino
03-09-2005, 01:05 PM
I would say that responsible heavy drug use is possible as well.

If I shoot up in the privacy of my own home, and dnot' bother a soul, what's irresponsible about that?

if you were a heavy drug user you would probably have to quit work..you would still need money for your habit so you would resort to stealing or some other illegal activity for it.. just like addicts do now..

ducks
03-09-2005, 06:00 PM
actually you could shift blame to the people that voted to allow the bar to start. They have town meetings to let people voice their concern for the bar and their actions. People vote in the council men that decide if it ok. Blame the people not the bar if you are actually going to shift the blame who entered the contest.

mookie2001
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
thats alot of tequila,im a big guy, ive maybe gone 20+ and i was intoxicated

scott
03-10-2005, 10:43 PM

We can stop blaming spellcheck for ducks' actions.