PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Ime Udoka

Doctor J
02-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi guys,

Didn't Ime have a reasonably strong first season with the Spurs last year?

He had several good games against the Hornets in the playoffs as well, especially in the matchup with Bonzi Wells, didn't he?

He can defend the guys like Artest or Pierce - strong small forwards.

Now why is he completly out of ratation this season?

If you know the reason(s).......... :depressed

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Hi guys,

He had several good games against the Hornets in the playoffs as well, especially in the matchup with Bonzi Wells, didn't he?

That is one hell of a question. Ime still gets in every now and then and when he does, he usually gives Pop some decent minutes. I think with the transition to more of an offensive game, it has kind of left Ime out in the cold. Kind of like Bowen. But that's just a guess.

02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
i don't know why but he's regressed a lot. i think his confidence is shot. i had high hopes for him too but even i have to admit he's pretty much worthless now. poor offensive decisions, unable to consistently hit a 3, declining speed when already not very quick, and bad defensive decisions. he is 31 after all and getting older as time passes.

tp2021
02-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Just like an increase in PT did shitloads for RMJ and Bonner, a deep cut in PT did Ime in early.

Austin_Toros
02-24-2009, 03:52 AM
safe to say its his last season as a spur?

holcs50
02-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Basically he sucks, thats why. He's never was consistent enough when he got decent minutes. He's undersized for what he can do, not very athletic and his outside shot is either on or horrendous. I will feel nothing when he is gone, unlike say losing barry.

mountainballer
02-24-2009, 05:08 AM
safe to say its his last season as a spur?

I'm pretty sure Malik will take his spot and role. (5th wing in the rotation, 10-15 MPG)

rapliketp
02-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Roger Mason happened.

Harry Callahan
02-24-2009, 06:43 AM
....and George Hill. Michael Finley and expecially Matt Bonner are putting up 3's at a prolific rate as well as Roger Mason. This is a more talented team than last years (with all the guys on deck).

Ime just moved several spots down the bench as did Bruce Bowen and J Vaughn. His tweener size and the new guys cut his minutes a bunch. He still has the ability to help out the team in spots.

TDMVPDPOY
02-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Roger Mason happened.

ghill looms

gospursgojas
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn happened

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Ime swapped places with Matt Bonner. Last year Ime was getting regular minutes and was playing with confidence. Bonner was buried on the bench and whenever he did get in the game was out of rythm and putting too much pressure on himself to hit shots.

This year, a role in the rotation opened up for Bonner, he's getting regular minutes and is playing with lots of confidence. Udoka lost the regular minutes he was getting, due to Mason, and now he's the one buried on the bench who is out of rythm and pressuring himself.

SenorSpur
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
That's a great question. Many of us had such high hopes for him after he arrived. He had his moments last year, but really seemingly struggled getting adjusted to the Spurs system.

Many of us expected to see the typical "2nd year leap" that most players got through after coming to the Spurs. The problem is it just never happened and he seemed to regress a bit, lost his spot in the rotation and has struggled ever since.

As others have said, he's a strong player, good rebounder with a great attitude. However, he's just not athletic enough or long enough to be the solid defender we need.

hater
02-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I think Pop realized Udoka is as good as he's ever gonna be. Which is pretty dissapointing. He's got the body and quickness but he does not have the hunger and ball IQ to completment it.

SenorSpur
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I think Pop realized Udoka is as good as he's ever gonna be. Which is pretty dissapointing. He's got the body and quickness but he does not have the hunger and ball IQ to completment it.

I wouldn't say Udoka doesn't have the hunger or BBIQ. You can't taken the path that he's taken (domestic and abroad) in getting to the NBA and be devoid of hunger and sheer determination. This is a guy that worked himself into an NBA job. I believe this may be his 11th or 12th stop in his long journey. It is one of the things about him that appealed to the Spurs. I have not seen any evidence to the absence of his BBIQ.

I just believe at age 31, he's as good as he's going to get. Probably doesn't have as much upside as a 22-23 year-old, first-year guy like Hairston.

Dex
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Part of Ime's problem is he has 'wrong place, wrong time' syndrome. He always seems out of sync; his individual defensive talents rarely overshadow the fact that he's lost in the team defense, and his presence always seems to make the offense stall. To further compound the problems, you can almost see the lack of playing time affecting his confidence, and the only times he seems to hit shots is in garbage time when he's proving that he's not completely dispensable.

I know that's harsh, but I had high hopes for this guy coming in, and he's ended up buried deeper on the Spurs bench than Steve Smith.

OkeyDokey needs to step it up and bring back some of that stuff we saw against the Hornets, because I think he could be a valuable defensive piece to this team.

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
He plays hard, but he doesn't have game. He can't finish at the rim.

SenorSpur
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Udoka has obvously lost some confidence, which has affected his play. That's understandable. However, that can't be an excuse at this level. I doubt anyone would ever hear Udoka using that as an excuse either. He simply needs to take good shots and make them consistently. He's always been a good rebounder, though his defensive prowess has been average, at best. Personally, I still believe Udoka can be a good rotational player. I just don't think it will be with the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
02-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Udoka has obvously lost some confidence, which has affected his play. That's understandable. However, that can't be an excuse at this level. I doubt anyone would ever hear Udoka using that as an excuse either. He simply needs to take good shots and make them consistently. He's always been a good rebounder, though his defensive prowess has been average, at best. Personally, I still believe Udoka can be a good rotational player. I just don't think it will be with the Spurs.

trade his ass back to the blazers for aldridge

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I wish Ime was playng like he did in the 2nd round, that Ime would be taking minutes from Fin.

MoSpur
02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Udoka doesn't seem interested in playing anymore. It could be because Pop hasn't played him significant minutes.

jag
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm a big Ime fan, but the guy never brought the defense that everyone expected. He always seems lost out there.

Obstructed_View
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Ime sucks ass.

SenorSpur
02-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I wish Ime was playng like he did in the 2nd round, that Ime would be taking minutes from Fin.

Him stealing minutes from Finley was my personal expectation of Ime for this season. Of course, that would've also required Ime to overcome Pop's long-running man-crush with Fin. In other words, Ime's margin for error was slim to begin with.

trade his ass back to the blazers for aldridge

I know this is a facetious scenario, but I do love Aldridge as a player. There's no way Blazers would ever give him up. Actually, I'd rather have Nick Batum instead. After all, it would be a pretty fair salary match and a more realistic scenario. Of course, that arrogant dickhead of a GM, Pritchard, would never go for such a swap.

SpursDynasty
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Udoka > George Hill

urunobili
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Hairston got his minutes already...

Many PackYao
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Even Bonner is playin' better than Emo Sudoku.:p:

MarCowMar
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Ime has played decent but not fantastic from what I've seen. His rebounding is good and as far as I can tell he doesn't have any confidence issues.

I think all that's happened is we're just really stacked at his position and unless we play a team with a bruiser small forward (like say Bonzi Wells) Ime offers no matchup benefits. To get minutes he has to beat out Mason, Finley, Bowen, sometimes Ginobili, and now Hairston.

But hey, if two or three of our players get injured we'll probably see Ime enter and do well. :)

Obstructed_View
02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Spursdynasty > Ime Udoka

Dex
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Spursdynasty > Ime Udoka

No surprises there.

ManuTP9
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Roger Mason happened.

:lol

Spursmania
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
This is probably Udoka's last season, and I say good riddance. He only plays well when it doesn't count (i.e. We play sucky teams and we're way ahead then his shots go in). He was a disappointment this year. He's a great guy, but in this league you've got to make shots. I think Pop realizes that, and as a result, Ime's minutes have decreased to almost nothing.

Duncan2177
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi guys,

Because he sucks.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 03:27 PM
But Ime's D-league stats were good. How can it be that he sucks? :downspin:

Obstructed_View
02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
No surprises there.

Really? I'm surprised anyone sucks that bad.

tp2021
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Really? I'm surprised anyone sucks that bad.

Somebody has their hyperbole beam set to kill today.

Dex
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
italics