PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Hill In Race For Rookie Of The Year ... Sort Of

duncan228
02-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Hill in race for Rookie of the Year ... sort of (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_in_race_for_Rookie_of_the_Year__sort_of.html)
Mike Monroe

The race for Rookie of the Year is between Chicago's Derrick Rose and Memphis' O.J. Mayo, the Nos. 1 and 3 picks in the 2009 draft.

Spurs rookie George Hill is in a rookie race that is just as compelling: Championship Contender Rookie of the Year.

That is a two-man race, as well. The only other rookie making a meaningful contribution on one of the legitimate title contenders is Orlando's Courtney Lee.

Hill has played in all but two of the Spurs' 54 games, averaging 18.0 minutes, 6.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists. His bigger contribution has been at the defensive end, which is the reason Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has given him all that playing time in the first place.

Lee has played in 50 games for the Magic, starting 15. His numbers are similar to Hill's — 7.2 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.2 assists.

Trail Blazers fans will protest that Nicolas Batum, taken one pick ahead of Hill on draft night, should be on this arbitrary and arcane list. Since it is subjective, we'll wait for the Blazers to actually make the playoff field before considering them a legitimate contender. It's been six seasons.

J.J. Hickson did a nice job filling in for the Cavs when Zydrunas Ilgauskas was out injured, but he averages only 12 minutes and 4.4 points per game.

It's rare when rookies drafted by the league's best teams make immediate contributions, and the reasons are evident. Unless they own the picks of other teams, these teams draft at the end of the first round. They usually have player rotations that are hard to crack, too.

“I've been in the league 15 years,” said Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, “and Sam Cassell is the only rookie I've seen contribute to a championship team in that time, and I mean the only one.

“Granted, I'm talking about the team that wins it all, but in 15 years he's the only guy I've seen who played a significant role on a championship team.”

Indeed, few rookies in league history have made major contributions for teams that won the title. The exceptions are significant: Boston's Bill Russell, in 1957, along with teammate Tom Heinsohn (who actually beat Russell in voting for Rookie of the Year); Lakers guard Magic Johnson, in 1980 (Larry Bird was that season's Rookie of the Year); and Boston's Kevin McHale, in 1981 (when Utah's Darrell Griffith was Rookie of the Year).

Hill's career path likely won't match those players, all of them in the Hall of Fame, but it is no reach to imagine a career as significant as Cassell's.

Cassell came into the league with a brash personality that exceeded his skill set. His game grew into his own expectations, and he became an All-Star.

Hill lacks Cassell's bravado, but his calm, confident demeanor has allowed him to interact with teammates who expect everyone who shares their locker room to expect success.

“You walk in that locker room and there's huge expectations for everyone,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford says. “I bet guys like Michael Finley and Brent Barry and Robert Horry walked in there and were a little bit daunted at times by the level that you step into, and it's something this group has sustained for some time.

“It says something about George that he's been able to step in that locker room and not be overwhelmed.”

Manu Ginobili's latest injury likely means a bigger role for Hill over the next couple of weeks. Unless Lee's role for the Magic grows, too, Hill will be a long step ahead in a fictitious Rookie of the Year race that may extend into June.

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Love the article man..keep em coming...

Blackjack
02-24-2009, 02:13 AM
“I've been in the league 15 years,” said Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, “and Sam Cassell is the only rookie I've seen contribute to a championship team in that time, and I mean the only one.

Come on, Bud...

2003 doesn't ring any bells?:huh

TDMVPDPOY
02-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Hill with starters minutes = ROY

we seen what he can do when given starters minuters, nearly equivalent statistics to them rookie ballhogs

El Jefe
02-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Come on, Bud...

First thing I thought of

jayc23
02-24-2009, 04:00 AM
nice

Kori Ellis
02-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Come on, Bud...

Cassell rookie playoffs = 9 points / 39 percent shooting
Manu rookie playoffs = 9 points / 38 percent shooting

I guess that percent point put Cassell into the elite :)

xcoriate
02-24-2009, 04:55 AM
apparently i had the same unoriginal thought as everyone else on the board :lol

Pity Mike couldn't think of it...

Buddy Holly
02-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Maybe he meant from college rookie as Manu was 26 and had been a pro for many years.

But if he was being literal, then yeah, Bud f--ked up there.

Harry Callahan
02-24-2009, 06:53 AM
He probably thought of Manu as a veteran player since he was already a pro and was 25 years old.

There are so few four year college players coming in nowdays - the primo players don't stick around in college very often.

Hill is an exception, but he was way under the radar at draft time last year.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 07:34 AM
It's likely that Hill will do some mistakes during the playoffs. Playoffs for rookies are damn complicated. The good news is that Spurs have a solid plan B with a Mason and Ginobili backcourt.

Mr. Body
02-24-2009, 07:39 AM
One of the more pointless articles I've ever seen.

Tmac&Luther
02-24-2009, 08:00 AM
That Monroe guy is the biggest Spurs homer around, everytime someone posts one of his articles he seems to just get worse and worse.

Tmac&Luther
02-24-2009, 08:02 AM

we seen what he can do when given starters minuters, nearly equivalent statistics to them rookie ballhogs

Umm......no.

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
It's likely that Hill will do some mistakes during the playoffs. Playoffs for rookies are damn complicated.

Beno knows it better than anyone

phxspurfan
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Also JJ Hickson at this point > Hill. As much as the Cavs are on TV these days we get to see him play a lot, and he's got talent and hustle beyond his years.

Dex
02-24-2009, 11:17 AM
One of the more pointless articles I've ever seen.

No kidding.

A fictitious award backed up by weak statistics?

You can do better, Monroe.

AFBlue
02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
No kidding.

A fictitious award backed up by weak statistics?

You can do better, Monroe.

I thought the same thing after I saw the first comment....thought to myself, if this was McDonald he'd be getting thrashed for this article.

02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
i actually wanted the spurs to draft lee but the magic took him ahead of the spurs. i think lee will be getting more minutes than hill in the playoffs due to the magic's lack of depth in the guard position. lue and jacque vaughn's twin, anthony johnson, won't be able to keep up with the cavs and celtics. hill will be on a short leash when playoffs come as popovich does not trust rookies.

Universe
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
It's a three man race!

lurker23
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Umm......no.

There's no telling what Hill would do with starters minutes on a worse team, but from the evidence we have, he would at least have a shot.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114369

Using the number from that thread of 0.45 points per minute for George Hill, if you extrapolate that to the amount of minutes per game that Derrick Rose is getting (36.5), you get 16.425 PPG for Hill. Derrick Rose's PPG? 16.6.

Joe Schmoogins
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
As much as I love George Hill...

Courtney Lee > George Hill.

Sorry, its a fact. Lee defends Lebron, Kobe, Ginobli, Paul, etc. And does a damn fine job of staying with them and keeping them in check.

He is Robert Horry 2.0 with more scoring at SG. He has an extremely high basketball IQ and is mature as hell for his age, and knows what to do on the court all the time.

DWade just got his career high against Lee's "damn fine" defense... good point though.