PDA

View Full Version : No Money For You!

Nbadan
03-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Monday, March 07, 2005, 04:51 P.M. Pacific
Bush's budget leaves college students behind
By Ronald R. Thomas
Special to The Times

The same administration that seeks to leave no child behind has proposed a budget that will leave many students without access to higher education while it significantly increases spending on security.

President Bush has proposed budget cuts of $773 million in pre-college education programs, in addition to earlier changes in the Pell Grant college-aid program that left 80,000 students no longer eligible for such grants.

Now, students and families seeking to fund their education with a Federal Perkins Loan will be even harder hit as well: The Bush administration wants to eliminate that self-sustaining program entirely.

Started in 1958 under President Dwight Eisenhower, Perkins loans were the first federal assistance program dedicated specifically for higher education. Perkins currently provides low-interest loans to more than 600,000 students at 1,796 colleges across the country. It is one of the most popular and successful government programs of any kind. But not with this administration........

Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2002198988&zsection_id=268883724&slug=ronthomas07&date=20050307)

Ah, but you've still got the GI bill and a nifty $20,000 bonus if you sign up for combat duty in Iraq. What say you?

Clandestino
03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
what do you do nbadan? besides sit on the computer all day?

GoldToe
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
More college students need to learn to work while they learn.

Nbadan
03-08-2005, 01:01 PM
what do you do nbadan? besides sit on the computer all day?

I just made $1,500 on E-bay the easy way this month, and that's not even my real job.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-08-2005, 01:02 PM
More college students need to learn to work while they learn.

How many more jobs would you like us to have?

Many students have AT LEAST one job and many others have two or three. I have two paid jobs and one unpaid internship going right now.

GoldToe
03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
How many more jobs would you like us to have?

Many students have AT LEAST one job and many others have two or three. I have two paid jobs and one unpaid internship going right now.

You are living proof that it can be done.

MannyIsGod
03-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, he is living proof it should be done.

But don't sit there and give me shit when more money is being poored into the pockets of corporations by this government while college students and other people are given the fucking shaft.

It's our tax money too, asshole. And pardon me if I get tired of seeing it go to programs that many times do little more than line the pockets of those with pockets lined with gold already.