PDA

View Full Version : NASA's CO2 "hunter" fails

DarrinS
02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7907570.stm

Nasa's first dedicated mission to measure carbon dioxide from space has failed following a rocket malfunction.

Officials said the fairing - the part of the rocket which covers the satellite on top of the launcher - did not separate properly.

Data indicates the spacecraft crashed into the ocean near Antarctica.

The Orbiting Carbon Observatory (OCO) was intended to help pinpoint the key locations on our planet's surface where CO2 is being emitted and absorbed.

Nasa officials confirmed the loss of the satellite at a press conference held at 1300 GMT.

John Brunschwyler, from Orbital Sciences Corporation, the rocket's manufacturer, told journalists: "Our whole team, at a very personal level, is very disappointed in the events of this morning."

He added: "The fairing has considerable weight relative to the portion of the vehicle that's flying. So when it separates off, you get a jump in acceleration. We did not have that jump in acceleration.

"As a direct result of carrying that extra weight, we could not make orbit."

'Mishap' board

The $270m (£190m) mission was launched on a Taurus XL - the smallest ground-launched rocket currently in use by the US space agency.

Since its debut in 1994, this type of rocket has flown eight times, with six successes and two failures including this launch. But this is the first time Nasa has used the Taurus XL.

The US space agency will now put together a "Mishap Investigation Board" to determine the root cause of the nose cone's failure to come off three minutes into the launch.

Onlookers watched the launcher soar into the sky from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California at 0955 GMT on Tuesday.

The first indication of a problem came in an announcement made by the Nasa launch commentator, George Diller.

"This is Taurus launch control. We have declared a launch contingency, meaning that we did not have a successful launch tonight," he said.

LnGrrrR
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
How does this happen? I mean... shoot, I make mistakes sometimes, but I'm not firing off a 270 million, 8 year project.

Disappointed? They should be devastated.

Winehole23
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Failure at delivery. What a shame.

LockBeard
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I am disappointed Gore did not take up the first opportunity to hunt down dangerous C02 emissions from outer space.

Sec24Row7
02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
How much CO2 do you emit when you put a satellite in orbit?

Wild Cobra
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I am disappointed Gore did not take up the first opportunity to hunt down dangerous C02 emissions from outer space.
I disappointed he wasn't on the thing.

How much CO2 do you emit when you put a satellite in orbit?
LOL... Who knows. It really depends on the fuel they used.

My first thought when I heard the news this morning was that it was sabotaged because the alarmists knew it would yield results against their agenda.

Oops... Am I becoming a conspiracy theorist?

mouse
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
This country can't even figure out how to get the troops out of Iraq and they want us to belive they landed on the moon? :lmao

keep pumping cash into ASSA you fools will lean the hard way!

baseline bum
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
This country can't even figure out how to get the troops out of Iraq and they want us to belive they landed on the moon? :lmao

keep pumping cash into ASSA you fools will lean the hard way!

That was brilliant the way you were able to extract the pattern ASS from NASA! :tu

Stacie
02-25-2009, 02:07 AM
That was brilliant the way you were able to extract the pattern ASS from NASA! :tu

It's not hard when you talk from your ass! :lmao

LockBeard
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I disappointed he wasn't on the thing.

That's what I meant :hat

LockBeard
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Mouse, you don't believe they landed on the moon?

DarrinS
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Mouse, you don't believe they landed on the moon?

Evidently, he believes in every dumbass conspiracy. He probably thinks the govt has dead alien bodies at Wright Patterson AFB.

In 20 years, you'll see him pushing a shopping cart around and mumbling to himself.

TDMVPDPOY
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
is nasa lookn for someone to bail them out?

270m for a failed experiment hahahhahaa fuck