PDA

View Full Version : Blazers (Paul Allen) financial troubles

mogrovejo
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll be honest: I've been bothered by the notorious hubrins coming out of Portland's FO - mostly due to the fact that Allen's deep pockets would allow them to retain all their talent and be a major player in the FA/trade market. Also, I don't like financial irresponsible franchises and the Blazers have been losing more money than any other team in the league not called Knicks for years now (due to their executives having the green light to do moves most FO can't afford to - since trading malcontents for useless players to buying loads of draft picks).

So, while these situations are always unpleasant, I couldn't avoid a smile after reading these two articles:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/2/24/768932/paul-allen-s-money-trouble

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-38-228/The-Deepest-Pockets-in-Sports.html

Worth a reading. I guess now we'll be able to find out how good Kevin Pritchard really is.

tlongII
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Chad Forde is full of shit.

scanry
02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
I'll be honest: I've been bothered by the notorious hubrins coming out of Portland's FO - mostly due to the fact that Allen's deep pockets would allow them to retain all their talent and be a major player in the FA/trade market. Also, I don't like financial irresponsible franchises and the Blazers have been losing more money than any other team in the league not called Knicks for years now (due to their executives having the green light to do moves most FO can't afford to - since trading malcontents for useless players to buying loads of draft picks).

So, while these situations are always unpleasant, I couldn't avoid a smile after reading these two articles:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/2/24/768932/paul-allen-s-money-trouble

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-38-228/The-Deepest-Pockets-in-Sports.html

Worth a reading. I guess now we'll be able to find out how good Kevin Pritchard really is.

When have Knicks ever lost money? :wow

They are the richest team in the league...

Allanon
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Paul Allen's one of the richest men in America.

"Financial Troubles" means, he might not be worth several billion any more, just $1 billion :lol

lefty
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Paul Allen is the son of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen

mogrovejo
02-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Chad Forde is full of shit.

Maybe. I don't understand what's the relevance of that. He didn't write any of these articles; in fact, they were both written by two Blazers fans.

When have Knicks ever lost money? :wow

They are the richest team in the league...

Yeah, but the richest organizations can lose money. The Knicks have been eating negative operating profits for a long time (and they can affort it precisely because they're the richest team in the league). That's Isiah Thomas and over-paying at epic proportions for you.

Paul Allen's one of the richest men in America.

"Financial Troubles" means, he might not be worth several billion any more, just $1 billion :lol

Read the articles. Nobody is saying Paul Allen is not a billionaire anymore or that he'll have to sell or relocate the team. There are evidence the Blazers are on a very strict cost control mode now. More than that, it seems they'll be one of the teams using the recent loan made available by Stern to cash strapped teams.

---------

Geez.. awesome comments...

tlongII
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Maybe. I don't understand what's the relevance of that. He didn't write any of these articles; in fact, they were both written by two Blazers fans.

He's full of shit because he said that the Blazers had an offer of Vince Carter plus 2 1st round draft picks for Lafrent's expiring contract. That is a pure fabrication.

Hemotivo
02-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Paul Allen is the son of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen

:smokin

Bruno
02-24-2009, 05:39 PM
It's really puzzling that Blazers haven't used Lafrentz expiring contract as a trade asset. Blazers will be in a "worse" situation this summer to get a star than they were at this deadline.

So maybe Allen isn't ready to spend an virtually unlimited amount of money on Blazers. If it's the case, it's great. An owner trying to "buy" a championship isn't something good for the NBA.

tlongII
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
It's really puzzling that Blazers haven't used Lafrentz expiring contract as a trade asset. Blazers will be in a "worse" situation this summer to get a star than they were at this deadline.

So maybe Allen isn't ready to spend an virtually unlimited amount of money on Blazers. If it's the case, it's great. An owner trying to "buy" a championship isn't something good for the NBA.

I disagree with this. The only players that we would have liked to acquire at the trade deadline were Caron Butler and Gerald Wallace. Their teams wanted players like Batum, Rudy, and Bayless in return. We didn't want to give up those assets. This summer we will have close to $8M to sign a FA as well as a $3M trade exception. We'll be able to sign somebody good without giving up anything.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I disagree with this. The only players that we would have liked to acquire at the trade deadline were Caron Butler and Gerald Wallace. Their teams wanted players like Batum, Rudy, and Bayless in return. We didn't want to give up those assets. This summer we will have close to $8M to sign a FA as well as a $3M trade exception. We'll be able to sign somebody good without giving up anything.

Who will you sign for $8M ?

And a TE count against the cap, it's the TE or the cap space. Not both.