PDA

View Full Version : New To San Antonio

Duncan74
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Me and my hubby are planning a road trip to San Antonio. I am a HUGE Spurs / Duncan fan and I have always wanted to see them play at home. We live in California and we go see them play in Los Angeles. But is there any places that Spur fans go to hang out before the games or after?? How about the river walk? Is that nice? I am looking for any ideas or suggestions for our trip. I am so excited to see them in there home turff and be surrounded by other Spur fans!!

dirk4mvp
02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm so sorry for you.

Dex
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, because Big D is certainly the happening place to be. :rolleyes

San Antonio has a number of good spots to visit, depending upon where you are staying.

There are the usual cliche spots. The Alamo / Tower of Americas / Texas History Museum are interesting, but lose their charm. The Riverwalk is a nice strip of bars and looks beautiful at night; just be ready to walk drunkenly near the water's edge. It's probably your best bet for nightlife in San Antonio; everything else is fairly scattered.

During the day, there is Fiesta Texas, Sea World, and Splashtown. For shopping, Rivercenter, Northstar or La Canterra Mall.

Also over by the 35 area are more rustic tourist traps like Natural Bridge Caverns or the Wild Animal Preserve. San Antonio Zoo is usually a pretty fun visit as well.

Dex
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Food:
Tip-Tops
Lulu's Bakery and Diner
Los Barrios or La Hacienda
Cristan's Tacos (breakfast tacos, yummm)

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Me and my hubby are planning a road trip to San Antonio. I am a HUGE Spurs / Duncan fan and I have always wanted to see them play at home. We live in California and we go see them play in Los Angeles. But is there any places that Spur fans go to hang out before the games or after?? How about the river walk? Is that nice? I am looking for any ideas or suggestions for our trip. I am so excited to see them in there home turff and be surrounded by other Spur fans!!

Great to see some Californian Spurs fans. You definitely need to go to the AT&T Center to watch a game. You'll feel more at home, even if you're away from home.

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Food:
Tip-Tops
Lulu's Bakery and Diner

I will concur with the Mexican food. The Mexican food is better in South Texas than it is in Mexico...lol

duncan228
02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
There's quite a few California Spurs fans here. Have a blast in SA, it would be great to see them on their homecourt.

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
There's quite a few California Spurs fans here. Have a blast in SA, it would be great to see them on their homecourt.
Cool...it's good to hear that...are you one of them, duncan?

duncan228
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Cool...it's good to hear that...are you one of them, duncan?

Yup, I'm in Orange County.

Dex
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I lived in the O.C. when I was but a tot. My parents played the back and forth game to California a couple times.

A lot of people seem to make the California to San Antonio switch. I think it's because it's a similar climate and lifestyle, at a much cheaper bottom line.

Spursmania
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Alright, stop at the Riverwalk for some chips and salsa before the game. Hell go ahead and have dinner-beats the food at the AT & T center. Have a couple of margarita's too. Please make sure you are dressed appropriate for Game time-wear your Spur paraphenalia. Most people will give you a smile or a thumbs up for "Go Spurs".:toast

If you hear any negative comments-don't worry it's just a loony Sun fan reminiscing about their lost opportunity and Horry, blah, blah ... :blah Or a desperate Mav fans living in LA LA land hoping to at least win one championship which they know in their hearts they know will never happen while Mr. Duncan is in town. :nope

Just ignore them all and smile because you will be surrounded by Spur Fans who understand sacrifice, discipline and the ability to just smile and ignore the rants and raves from other sad Fans...:hat Head to the AT & T center and get their a little early because it will probably have play-off atmosphere vibes which is awesome. You want to be there for the intro and the hype. Grab some beers and popcorn sit back and enjoy the game!
:flag:

arodz
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Too bad you're going on a Tuesday. If it was a Thursday, Friday or Saturday game, you could see a free concert after the game at the AT&T Center. On those days they have differnt cover band playing music from the 80's and 70's, disco and hair bands. Those are really fun. Other than that I'd suggest the Riverwalk, someplace like Dick's Last Resort.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were going to tonight's game. If you're planning a trip here, then I'd suggest a weekend game for the reason I've listed.

Rob123
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
If you're looking for some great nightlife but are going to be staying in the city, hop on i-35 North and then get on 1604. Take 1604 West till you get to Stone Oak, best place for nightlife in the whole area imo. I see George Hill out and about hitting on girls I know all the time around here. A buddy of mine raced Tony Parker in his white Lambo, and I see Bruce Bowen just about daily when he's in town. (His wife owns the spa right next to my gym and he's always walking out as I'm going in for my workout)

Duncan74
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
That sounds good. WOW its sounds like so much fun. It sucks when we go to LA to the Staples Center cause you get NO LOVE at ALL!! I get booed at and the Laker fans are such assholes! It will be nice to be around all Spur fans!!!

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I will concur with the Mexican food. The Mexican food is better in South Texas than it is in Mexico...lol

not even close! texmex is great and all and i was raised on it but nothing beats authentic mx food. nothing!

you want some good mexican food try guajillos(off blanco & 410) or some tacos de julio(off fredericksburg & close to hildebrand).

as for the nightlife... already mentioned are the overly packed bars full of douchebags over in the stone oak area. i rarely go out there but the better bar to chill at would have to be kennedy's(off blanco & stone oak). the backporch, crossed eyed seagle, and the rest of those bars aren't my style. hot bitches with stuck up attitudes & dudes who think they're the shit with their supplement induced muscles and their cocky attitudes.

another hot spot is broadway st. you can find numerous bars lined up right outside the 410 loop on broadway st. there's planB, revolution room, the hanger, and a few others over there. revolution is the one i most frequently go when i visit that side of town.

then of course there's the 281 & bitters area. i like my wiseguys & oasis combo for a relaxed atmosphere. wiseguys not so relaxed as oasis... and down the street is a few other bars as well and across the highway too.

ok so there's a few things you can visit...

the alamo is lame! the riverwalk has its ups and downs, don't visit the tower because you'll just end up wasting your money on shitty food and horrible service, and the zoo is well the zoo(you'd see more animals walking down the street then at our zoo).

ps: beer stops being sold at 12pm mon-fri and sun and on sat is stops at 1am. the bars close at 2am.

psps: what game are yall gonna go to?

EJK5032
02-24-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm in San Diego. Any other San Diego area Spurs fans in the house ?

CIA Pop
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Welcome. Have a great time. Buy some beer at the game so we can afford to sign someone.

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Yup, I'm in Orange County.

Very cool. It's bad that someone in California gets his hand on Spurs info quicker than most of us in S.A. lol....great to be a part of the forum with ya.

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
not even close! texmex is great and all and i was raised on it but nothing beats authentic mx food. nothing!

you want some good mexican food try guajillos(off blanco & 410) or some tacos de julio(off fredericksburg & close to hildebrand).

as for the nightlife... already mentioned are the overly packed bars full of douchebags over in the stone oak area. i rarely go out there but the better bar to chill at would have to be kennedy's(off blanco & stone oak). the backporch, crossed eyed seagle, and the rest of those bars aren't my style. hot bitches with stuck up attitudes & dudes who think they're the shit with their supplement induced muscles and their cocky attitudes.

another hot spot is broadway st. you can find numerous bars lined up right outside the 410 loop on broadway st. there's planB, revolution room, the hanger, and a few others over there. revolution is the one i most frequently go when i visit that side of town.

then of course there's the 281 & bitters area. i like my wiseguys & oasis combo for a relaxed atmosphere. wiseguys not so relaxed as oasis... and down the street is a few other bars as well and across the highway too.

ok so there's a few things you can visit...

the alamo is lame! the riverwalk has its ups and downs, don't visit the tower because you'll just end up wasting your money on shitty food and horrible service, and the zoo is well the zoo(you'd see more animals walking down the street then at our zoo).

ps: beer stops being sold at 12pm mon-fri and sun and on sat is stops at 1am. the bars close at 2am.

psps: what game are yall gonna go to?

ok..maybe I went a bit overboard on the Mexican food..lol...but it is the best in the country. But I have to disagree with your Alamo standpoint. It's a huge part of the history here, and if someone is coming here for the first time, it's a MUST SEE!

Summers
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Very cool. It's bad that someone in California gets his hand on Spurs info quicker than most of us in S.A. lol....great to be a part of the forum with ya.

His computer probably runs faster or something.

:)

Spursfan092120
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
His computer probably runs faster or something.

:)

lol..that didn't ease the pain at all.

Alex Jones
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Some free advise: never say your not going to post here for one year if the Spurs don't win a championship, and second...don't tattoo Spurs on your calves and use them as your avatar unless you have a decent tan.

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Some free advise: never say your not going to post here for one year if the Spurs don't win a championship, and second...don't tattoo Spurs on your calves and use them as your avatar unless you have a decent tan.

and don't worry about chumps like the one who i am quoting... oh my bad mr. mouse.

dudes a douche on a whole 'nother level but considering his lack of pussy i'd say it's reasonable to act out like he does. i'd be pissed to if i looked as fugly as that fuck.

here's to mouse's 1000000000000000000000 usernames. cocksucker!

ps: you can tell it's mouse because of his shitty animated gif signatures. lame!

Mugen
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM
california spurs fans unite!

Spur|n|Austin
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Food:
Tip-Tops
Lulu's Bakery and Diner

Los Barrios :king

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Los Barrios :king

my parents fuckin' love that place but eh... it's not all that imo. if you like texmex i guess you'll love los barrios. it's anything but authentic mexican food as it is generally described. it's straight up texmex and not the best either. go further down blanco and you'll end up at some better texmex restaurants...

if you do however end up at los barrios ask for mac(mack)... i'm pretty sure that's his name. he's a great waiter.

i like more authentic mx food rather then texmex if you haven't noticed.

Sp Ginobili 20
02-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Spurs fan from San Francisco!

BlackSwordsMan
02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
what a night to come in SA
Duncan isn't even playing