PDA

View Full Version : Why the Lakers are not contenders

SpursDynasty
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
When you think about the history of the Lakers, you think about greats such as Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant. As the Minneapolis Lakers, the franchise won 5 championships in 6 seasons.

The West/Chamberlain Lakers won another NBA championship in the early 70's.

From 1979-1992, Magic Johnson's Lakers appeared in the Finals 9 times in 12 seasons, winning 5 championships within 10 seasons.

From 1999-2004, the Kobe/Shaq Lakers appeared in the Finals 4 times, winning 3 straight championships in that span. 14 NBA championships, most wins in history...makes the Lakers a pretty good franchise, right? Historically, yes. But the problem is when we try to lump in the current Lakers with the rich history of this franchise. Simply because they wear Laker jerseys, everyone is making these guys out to be the next NBA Champion just because they're getting some wins, hitting some shots, getting other teams to miss shots. and playing some bullshit basketball.

This current Laker team is no championship contender. Kobe Bryant, as good as he is, is the same Kobe Bryant who has failed to win anything since 2002. He repeatedly goes on scoring barrages, makes highlight reels, gets to the hoop whenever he wants, but the fact is he can't succeed on the NBA's biggest stage without a Shaq type of player. Tim Duncan, unlike Kobe, can win regardless of who you put around him. Kobe need other stars to win championships. Tim Duncan makes everyone around him good and makes All-Stars out of players. Tony Parker for instance...not a star by any means when he entered the league, averaging 9.2 PPG on 41.9% shooting. Malik Rose and Steve Smith outscored TP in his first year. Or how about Manu...7.6 PPG on 43.8% shooting. Parker and Ginobili have been the 2nd and 3rd best players behind Duncan in all 3 championships this decade, and Duncan has taken single digit scorers shooting in the low 40's percentage-wise, and has made them into All-Stars. Kobe has not done the same for any of his teammates. He's too selfish, too much of a ballhog, that's why he scores so much. How good can a career 45.4% shooter REALLY be when you look closely? Not very.

The fact is that Kobe's teammates just happen to be in the right place at the right time when Kobe draws so much attention on the floor. This is basically a team of scrubs. Odom's FG%, PPG, and RPG numbers are down from last year. Bynum's FG% and RPG are also down from last year. Derek Fisher's FG% and PPG are down from last year. Even Pau Gasol's FG% and PPG are down from last year. Why are people saying that this year's Laker team is better than last year's? Because the numbers certainly don't say so. I always hear about how the Lakers bench is so great..but then I look and they have a two man bench..Farmar and Ariza. Call Odom a bench player if you want but he isn't. Luke Walton isn't a starter. And why does Walton get so much credit? He's a 41% shooter averaging 4.6 PPG. Farmar is a 42% shooter averaging 7.4 PPG. Ariza seems to be the only consistent bench player. But the rest of these scrubs such as Walton, Farmar, Vujacic, they just happen to be in the right place at the right time 3-4 times during the season, ESPN replays the one highlight so many times that it appears they're doing more than they really are. Those guys aren't shit.

Seriously, I could go out there and do the same bullshit. How hard can it be to be left open for a jumper while Kobe is driving to the hoop with 3 defenders on him? Further, how hard is it to hit an open jumper in that case? Not hard at all. I'm sick of hearing "Vujacic for three!" and the crowd roaring when he didn't do shit but just stand there while Kobe did all the work. Same goes for Walton and Farmar. It's not as good a team as everyone would like to believe.

Lastly, Pau Gasol....I never see the guy create his own offense. It seems that his job to rebound Kobe's missed shots and put them back in and all of a sudden he's an All-Star for doing so. Again, how hard is it to stand on the floor while Kobe does all the work?

This team, like the 2006-2007 Mavs, are just making their shots, getting bullshit calls (Such as Kobe's non-call push on Chris Paul), and pretty much catching most teams on their off nights.

Look how stupid this looks when you try and lump the current squad into the history of Laker success

Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Shaquille O'Neal
Kobe Bryant

Imagine throwing in the top three scorers of this year's Laker team to that list. Do Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum really belong in that list? I don't think so. The Lakers are not the favorites for the championship this season. Nor were they the favorites last season. That's why I didn't come on here and trash talk last season after Boston won, because Boston was supposed to win. No reason to trash talk if they were supposed to win. And I'm not trash talking this year's Laker team either...this isn't a team that's supposed to win a championship or anything, so why trash talk if they're just going out there and doing what they're supposed to do which is not win the championship. The Lakers will go 59-23, lose in the WCF's, and go home, with no reason to trash talk, etc. after the Spurs eliminate them.

Ghazi
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
:king

xtremesteven33
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Just when i though you couldnt possiblly be any dumber....you go and do something like this.....

AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!! :tu

tlongII
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Excellent post!

anonoftheinternets
02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
we need this guy on ESPN, :D can u imagine their faces when SD drops the bomb that lakers are overrated.

LEONARD
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
You waste a LOT of time typing...

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Players PPG could be down because the trust thier teammates? Thus allowing more opportunities for others and less for the individual. It's hard work to keep a group of talented skilled players happy, so sharing the ball is essentially a must.

Overall a spiteful post I might add

IronMexican
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
SD, I fucking love you! I was waiting for a thresd this awesome since you came back.

Spur-Addict
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Players PPG could be down because the trust thier teammates? Thus allowing more opportunities for others and less for the individual. It's hard work to keep a group of talented skilled players happy, so sharing the ball is essentially a must.

Overall a spiteful post I might add

So you love the taste of Mamba juice on your taste buds eh? Figures.

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Your pretty foolish to say that Duncan made Manu and Parker. Parker a great penetrating point guard no matter how you look at it. Duncan or NOT. Manu a good slasher with SG-like skills right up there with the best of them.

The closest thing we have to matching one of them not named Kobe is prolly Farmar, he has some of the attributes of a Tony Parker but hasn't had to play starter from his rookie year so his development is a little slower.

Ginobili was arguably the best player on Argentina, there was no Duncan there was there? Never seen Parker play for France but I imagine he prolly would be their best player to. Who else does France got? Ronny Turiaf LOL

Duncan as great as he is didn't make these guys. Timmy realizes Gino and Parker very talented and can make plays consistently, making TD's job easier, and theirs. Hell Id pass them the ball too if I knew they could do the things they do, it's not rocket science...

Until last year, Sasha, Farmar, Odom, Bynum no one gave a shit about. Sasha was still a TOTAL bust, Farmer was a second year project, Odom was a headcase, and Bynum was just 7 feet tall...The 3 youngn's in that group improved as players, when you improve you can produce, when you produce, the star player passes you the ball.

IronMexican
02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Sasha is still a bust who played decent during his contract year.

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Sasha is still a bust who played decent during his contract year.

Yes, but not a TOTAL Bust...Fuckin players in their contract years.

Odom is probably doin the same thing

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
So you love the taste of Mamba juice on your taste buds eh? Figures.

Mamba Juice would probably be a Venom, so no thanks :rolleyes

dirk4mvp
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I really can't wait until SD and Rogue have their first argument.

Banzai
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Vomit.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3218)

manufor3
02-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow, SD made an intellegent post. How is this possible?

Lakers999
02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Wow, SD made an intellegent post. How is this possible?

intelligent my ass this guy is still a fucking retard

Lakers999
02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
When you think about the history of the Lakers, you think about greats such as Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant. As the Minneapolis Lakers, the franchise won 5 championships in 6 seasons.

The West/Chamberlain Lakers won another NBA championship in the early 70's.

From 1979-1992, Magic Johnson's Lakers appeared in the Finals 9 times in 12 seasons, winning 5 championships within 10 seasons.

From 1999-2004, the Kobe/Shaq Lakers appeared in the Finals 4 times, winning 3 straight championships in that span. 14 NBA championships, most wins in history...makes the Lakers a pretty good franchise, right? Historically, yes. But the problem is when we try to lump in the current Lakers with the rich history of this franchise. Simply because they wear Laker jerseys, everyone is making these guys out to be the next NBA Champion just because they're getting some wins, hitting some shots, getting other teams to miss shots. and playing some bullshit basketball.

This current Laker team is no championship contender. Kobe Bryant, as good as he is, is the same Kobe Bryant who has failed to win anything since 2002. He repeatedly goes on scoring barrages, makes highlight reels, gets to the hoop whenever he wants, but the fact is he can't succeed on the NBA's biggest stage without a Shaq type of player. Tim Duncan, unlike Kobe, can win regardless of who you put around him. Kobe need other stars to win championships. Tim Duncan makes everyone around him good and makes All-Stars out of players. Tony Parker for instance...not a star by any means when he entered the league, averaging 9.2 PPG on 41.9% shooting. Malik Rose and Steve Smith outscored TP in his first year. Or how about Manu...7.6 PPG on 43.8% shooting. Parker and Ginobili have been the 2nd and 3rd best players behind Duncan in all 3 championships this decade, and Duncan has taken single digit scorers shooting in the low 40's percentage-wise, and has made them into All-Stars. Kobe has not done the same for any of his teammates. He's too selfish, too much of a ballhog, that's why he scores so much. How good can a career 45.4% shooter REALLY be when you look closely? Not very.

The fact is that Kobe's teammates just happen to be in the right place at the right time when Kobe draws so much attention on the floor. This is basically a team of scrubs. Odom's FG%, PPG, and RPG numbers are down from last year. Bynum's FG% and RPG are also down from last year. Derek Fisher's FG% and PPG are down from last year. Even Pau Gasol's FG% and PPG are down from last year. Why are people saying that this year's Laker team is better than last year's? Because the numbers certainly don't say so. I always hear about how the Lakers bench is so great..but then I look and they have a two man bench..Farmar and Ariza. Call Odom a bench player if you want but he isn't. Luke Walton isn't a starter. And why does Walton get so much credit? He's a 41% shooter averaging 4.6 PPG. Farmar is a 42% shooter averaging 7.4 PPG. Ariza seems to be the only consistent bench player. But the rest of these scrubs such as Walton, Farmar, Vujacic, they just happen to be in the right place at the right time 3-4 times during the season, ESPN replays the one highlight so many times that it appears they're doing more than they really are. Those guys aren't shit.

Seriously, I could go out there and do the same bullshit. How hard can it be to be left open for a jumper while Kobe is driving to the hoop with 3 defenders on him? Further, how hard is it to hit an open jumper in that case? Not hard at all. I'm sick of hearing "Vujacic for three!" and the crowd roaring when he didn't do shit but just stand there while Kobe did all the work. Same goes for Walton and Farmar. It's not as good a team as everyone would like to believe.

Lastly, Pau Gasol....I never see the guy create his own offense. It seems that his job to rebound Kobe's missed shots and put them back in and all of a sudden he's an All-Star for doing so. Again, how hard is it to stand on the floor while Kobe does all the work?

This team, like the 2006-2007 Mavs, are just making their shots, getting bullshit calls (Such as Kobe's non-call push on Chris Paul), and pretty much catching most teams on their off nights.

Look how stupid this looks when you try and lump the current squad into the history of Laker success

Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Shaquille O'Neal
Kobe Bryant

Imagine throwing in the top three scorers of this year's Laker team to that list. Do Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum really belong in that list? I don't think so. The Lakers are not the favorites for the championship this season. Nor were they the favorites last season. That's why I didn't come on here and trash talk last season after Boston won, because Boston was supposed to win. No reason to trash talk if they were supposed to win. And I'm not trash talking this year's Laker team either...this isn't a team that's supposed to win a championship or anything, so why trash talk if they're just going out there and doing what they're supposed to do which is not win the championship. The Lakers will go 59-23, lose in the WCF's, and go home, with no reason to trash talk, etc. after the Spurs eliminate them.

complete shit.... this is what the OP is.... a hater

Brazil
02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Never seen Parker play for France but I imagine he prolly would be their best player to. Who else does France got? Ronny Turiaf LOL

Turiaf diaw batum pietrus noah... some young guys with potential

ezau
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
So where the hell is Dr House? lol

Lakers999
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
So where the hell is Dr House? lol

fucking your girlfriend :toast

BlackSwordsMan
02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
this thread isn't about lakers or the playoffs

Kobe™
02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Yawn .

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
complete shit.... this is what the OP is.... a hater

or a homer

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Turiaf diaw batum pietrus noah... some young guys with potential
Wow I didnt know Noah was a Frenchman...I knew he was something wierd tho. haha.

Parker still the best of that bunch tho followed by Diaw

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
One of many stupid post by Spursdynasty. It must be some nasty ass shit he's smoking. Keep em' coming you're getting dumber by the second.

Medvedenko
02-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I love it SD, Ghazi...keep it coming. Oh and in one point you disparage Kobe for not being a winner and being shitty, and then say that he does all of the work and his teammates just hit open shots....so you're saying the reason we're 47-10 is because of Kobe....anyways no point in arguing, you're a true prophet.

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2009, 11:01 PM
I love it SD, Ghazi...keep it coming. Oh and in one point you disparage Kobe for not being a winner and being shitty, and then say that he does all of the work and his teammates just hit open shots....so you're saying the reason we're 47-10 is because of Kobe....anyways no point in arguing, you're a true profit.

We all profit from spursdynasty

cobbler
02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
and yet this team has the best record at this point than all the Laker chamionships teams except the 71-72 team.

Please post some more game predictions so I can bet on the opposite SD. I was getting used to the extra income. :lmao

Purple & Gold
02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
just because they're getting some wins, hitting some shots, getting other teams to miss shots. and playing some bullshit basketball.

Tim Duncan, unlike Kobe, can win regardless of who you put around him. Kobe need other stars to win championships. Tim Duncan makes everyone around him good and makes All-Stars out of players. Tony Parker for instance...

Parker and Ginobili have been the 2nd and 3rd best players behind Duncan in all 3 championships this decade, and Duncan has taken single digit scorers shooting in the low 40's percentage-wise, and has made them into All-Stars.

The fact is that Kobe's teammates just happen to be in the right place at the right time

Seriously, I could go out there and do the same bullshit. How hard can it be

Not hard at all.

Lastly, Pau Gasol....I never see the guy create his own offense. It seems that his job to rebound Kobe's missed shots and put them back in

:lol :lol

stretch
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
oddly enough, there definitely is some truth to some portions of what jeff said in his post.

when people see the lakers doing well, there definitely is an element of nostalgia that gets people to overrate them, just because they are "the lakers"

they are quite good, no question. but some people think they are just damn near unstoppable, when that is far from the truth. their offense is terrific, but their defense still is shitty and overrated, and relies on steals and blocks, as opposed to simply shutting your opponent down. their defense is extremely stupid, as they allow like the 3rd most assists per game in the league. they are very similar to the phoenix suns of recent years. their offense is so good that they force teams that are not equipped to score a lot, to have to up their tempos and get out of their comfort zone, leading to a lot of forced shots and turnovers. never works in the playoffs. I think that they really better not sleep on the Spurs.

but it really doesnt matter because the Cavs are going to win it all anyways...

Purple & Gold
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
oddly enough, there definitely is some truth to some portions of what jeff said in his post.

when people see the lakers doing well, there definitely is an element of nostalgia that gets people to overrate them, just because they are "the lakers"

they are quite good, no question. but some people think they are just damn near unstoppable, when that is far from the truth.

Of course they are not unstoppable. They have weaknesses at the point and defending against the 3. They can be beaten if you play against them properly. The problem is not many teams (and none in the West) are built to beat them.

What makes SD classic is that he will mix in some truth with outlandish claims and his disillusions. Other SD trolls need to do a better job of mixing in some truths as well to get the whole "SD experience".

stretch
02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
The problem is not many teams (and none in the West) are built to beat them.

I disagree. I think the Spurs are very capable of beating them.

Sportcamper
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
This Lakers team of Kobe, Phil, Sasha, Pau, Lamar, Luke, are possibly the most talented, most loved & revered team in the history of the NBA!!!

FACT ...NBA stadium after stadium remain only partially filled with folks yawning and begging for excitement….That is Until the Mighty Lakers come to town...

Then they are filled to capacity with fans from Phoenix, San Antonio, Portland, Cleveland, Detroit all proudly wearing their purple & gold KB jerseys chanting MVP MVP MVP MVP…Its sheer energy, entertainment and excitement!

:lobt::lobt2::lobt:

Ghazi
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I disagree. I think the Spurs are very capable of beating them.

1-7 in their last 8. 2-6 if we count Mason's fluke shot.

The Spurs haven't shown an ability to beat these Lakers. None at all.

turiaf for president
02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
wait SD and Ghazi isnt the same person? =D

ElNono
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
1-7 in their last 8. 2-6 if we count Mason's fluke shot.

The Spurs haven't shown an ability to beat these Lakers. None at all.

1-1 this season... your point is?