PDA

View Full Version : Marbury set to join Celtics?

Kindergarten Cop
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3931801

The New York Knicks and Stephon Marbury were nearing a buyout agreement Tuesday afternoon that would clear the way for Marbury to sign with the Boston Celtics, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources briefed on the state of the talks told ESPN.com that the Knicks and Marbury are on the verge of finalizing a separation package that will make Marbury eligible to play in the playoffs for another team because his release from New York would come before the league's Sunday deadline.

The New York Times first reported on its Web site Tuesday afternoon that "all indications were that the two sides had reached agreement on a contract buyout that will free [Marbury] to join another franchise for the stretch run."

Said one source to ESPN.com: "Look for Steph to get bought out today."

Another source close to the process indicated that Marbury and the Celtics have already commenced discussions on a contract.

It's believed that Marbury will be forfeiting in excess of $2 million from his $20.8 million salary this season, which would net the Knicks twice that much because of the luxury-tax savings involved.

Marbury would then be in position to recoup roughly half of what he's surrendering in his buyout from the Celtics. As ESPN.com reported Jan. 1, Boston has been hoping to sign the wayward point guard to bolster its thin bench if Marbury -- who turned 32 last week -- could manage to extricate himself from the Knicks

Marbury hasn't played in an NBA regular-season game since Jan. 11 of last season, but the Celtics have been concerned about their depth all season after the offseason departures of James Posey and P.J. Brown. Boston has since lost star forward Kevin Garnett to a knee injury for the next two to three weeks and reserve swingman Tony Allen to a thumb injury expected to sideline him for eight weeks.

Earlier Tuesday, Boston signed center Mikki Moore, who was waived by Sacramento after last Thursday's trading deadline. The Celtics opened two roster spots last week by trading away veteran guard Sam Cassell and little-used center Patrick O'Bryant.

Last week, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported that multiple Celtics players had recently reached out to Marbury, urging him to forfeit some salary in his long-contentious negotiations with the Knicks to prove to skeptics that he could make an impact with a championship-caliber team.

EDIT: I just noticed that this was already posted. Please feel free to delete or merge this into the other thread. Sorry.

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
This definetely makes things interesting..IF the guy can still play.

WildcardManu
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
hope the cancer spreads in the locker room

Thunder Dan
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
as a Cavs fan this really scares me....

DrHouse
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Mikki Moore and Marbury will likely both be good fits in BOS IMHO. The Celtics have their starting 5 set. Moore and Marbury will get the lion share of the bench minutes leaving House and BBD to rot on the bench where they belong.

This will make the Celtics a more formidable team, but they still will not be as good as they were last season.

Posey + PJ Brown >>> Marbury + Moore

The Cavs can still take this team down as they have improved since last year. If they have all their horses it's going to be a bloodbath in the ECF.

MWILL
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Already put Maurbury on the Celts in 2k9. :lol

MambaJuice2408
02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Mikki Moore and Marbury will likely both be good fits in BOS IMHO. The Celtics have their starting 5 set. Moore and Marbury will get the lion share of the bench minutes leaving House and BBD to rot on the bench where they belong.

This will make the Celtics a more formidable team, but they still will not be as good as they were last season.

The Cavs can still take this team down as they have improved since last year. If they have all their horses it's going to be a bloodbath in the ECF.

I agree with that post for the most part. Marbury and Moore aren't as good as PJ and Posey, and have questionable character issues. But I don't really see it being a problem with that tight night group of guys. While it makes them a more formiddable bench. Im not sure Mikey Moore is the guy capable of banging with the big boys in the playoffs. But they had to get someone big so I it's a good pick up....just not sure it gets em over the top

pauls931
02-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Definitely going for the Cavs in the east now. I don't want to see that cancer leech his way to a title. Hell barkley, malone, stockton, KJ, Ewing all deserve a title 10x more that mebury.

Indazone
02-24-2009, 11:39 PM
oh crap. that sucks. however it doesn't necessarily mean they will mesh well on the court. One can only hope.

bostonguy
02-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Yay!!! While we are at it, Lets bring Antoine Walker back! PLEASE DANNY PLEASE!!!!

This team still doesnt have a true wing player off the bench. Again letting Posey walk was the biggest mistake Ainge made this last summer. It is going to really hurt this team in the playoffs.

DrHouse
02-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Like I said before both of these additions will be positive for the Celtics.

Everyone expecting Marbury to be some cancer is fooling themselves. Players in their contract year NEVER act up. Money rules everything. Marbury is going to be on his best behavior to get the fattest contract he can.

Mikki Moore is a decent player. He is foul prone though and has limited offensive skills outside of a dunk. I don't see him impacting things much, but he adds depth to the frontcourt which is never a bad thing.

Both of these players will shore up the BOS bench. The question is going to be.....is it enough? These two players do not equal the combined value of Cassell, Posey, and Brown. Also there is no indicator as to how well they will perform in the playoffs. Cassell, Posey, and Brown were all battle tested playoff vets.

Cleveland will need to be at full strength and have HCA to defeat BOS. If they can get the top seed in the EC they will advance to the Finals.

bostonguy
02-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Like I said before both of these additions will be positive for the Celtics.

Everyone expecting Marbury to be some cancer is fooling themselves. Players in their contract year NEVER act up. Money rules everything. Marbury is going to be on his best behavior to get the fattest contract he can.

Mikki Moore is a decent player. He is foul prone though and has limited offensive skills outside of a dunk. I don't see him impacting things much, but he adds depth to the frontcourt which is never a bad thing.

Both of these players will shore up the BOS bench. The question is going to be.....is it enough? These two players do not equal the combined value of Cassell, Posey, and Brown. Also there is no indicator as to how well they will perform in the playoffs. Cassell, Posey, and Brown were all battle tested playoff vets.

Cleveland will need to be at full strength and have HCA to defeat BOS. If they can get the top seed in the EC they will advance to the Finals.

Cassell was pretty worthless last year but Posey will be the biggest loss out of the 3. Losing Brown hurt but not nearly as bad as losing Posey.

DrHouse
02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Cassell was pretty worthless last year but Posey will be the biggest loss out of the 3. Losing Brown hurt but not nearly as bad as losing Posey.

Without Brown the Celtics wouldn't have made it to the Finals. He hit some clutch shots against CLE in that Game 7.

Cassell too played well in the playoffs.

mogrovejo
02-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Cassell was useless. He played well at San Antonio, that was all.

Brown was good. Posey was the biggest loss by far.

The team has improved though, because other players, especially Rondo, are much improved.

Ainge failed by not getting a competent wing backup to replace Posey (ideally Posey). Now we'll have to play with 2guard fronts and a short forward, something I strongly dislike.

Austin_Toros
02-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Mikki Moore already, hopefully not Starbury.

Boston are turning into a team where every veteran flocks to just so they can win a championship.

mogrovejo
02-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Austin_Toros, he's signing with the C's, it's just a matter of time.

Marbury is an impact player, that's undeniable.

Let's see how exactly is he going to impact...

baseline bum
02-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Cassell was useless. He played well at San Antonio, that was all.

Brown was good. Posey was the biggest loss by far.

The team has improved though, because other players, especially Rondo, are much improved.

Ainge failed by not getting a competent wing backup to replace Posey (ideally Posey). Now we'll have to play with 2guard fronts and a short forward, something I strongly dislike.

There is no way the Celtics are better this season than last. Their bench blows. Every game I watch of their's, their second unit kills all the momentum their starters bring. They might repeat, but they're giving no indication of being as good as last year's team. Maybe Marbury can change that big gaping hole in the second unit, but as of now they're clearly worse.

layupdrill
02-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Great moves by the Celtics, and it cost them nothing long term. Best case, both Moore and Marbury come in and help them repeat. If it doesn't work out, they both can be shown the door at seasons end.

Marbury, along with Eddie House, adds offensive punch, and if he comes in and shows his teammates hes about winning, we might see him during critical minutes in the 4th quarter with the big 3 out there.

baseline bum
02-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Mikki Moore already, hopefully not Starbury.

Boston are turning into a team where every veteran flocks to just so they can win a championship.

Kind of hard for us to hate on them, after the Spurs got vets like Horry, Finley, and Barry, not to mention the failed experiments of Charlie Ward, Nick Van Exel, and Damon Stoudamire.

Rogue
02-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Marbury will eat up House's minutes at PG, and some minutes of Rondo as well.

mogrovejo
02-25-2009, 06:22 AM
There is no way the Celtics are better this season than last. Their bench blows. Every game I watch of their's, their second unit kills all the momentum their starters bring. They might repeat, but they're giving no indication of being as good as last year's team. Maybe Marbury can change that big gaping hole in the second unit, but as of now they're clearly worse.

Yeah, but there's no such thing as a 2nd unit in the playoffs. This team sucks when Doc plays lineups with 4 or 5 bench players. During the playoffs that won't happen. We'll play 8 guys every game, maybe a 9th man in spot minutes here and there. Between House, Marbury, Allen, Powe, Moore and BBD, I'm sure we'll find serviceable contributors.

Again, people are disregarding that this was a 1st year team last season and how much some young players have improved. Of course repeating is going to be difficult, it alway is, and other teams have improved more, but this team isn't exactly weaker.

turiaf for president
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
celtics know they need help. word is they are trying to talk to drew gooden as well to speed up his buyout process

mogrovejo
02-25-2009, 12:26 PM
celtics know they need help. word is they are trying to talk to drew gooden as well to speed up his buyout process

No they aren't. They might add another player but it won't be Gooden. Enough big men already.

I don't understand all the fuss about this, the Celtics are doing what they did last season, adding veterans after the trade deadline. Nothing new or unexpected.

RedsLakers24
02-25-2009, 12:34 PM
im happy for this becasue House always kills us from the 3 point line, with Marbury taking some of his minutes

turiaf for president
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
No they aren't. They might add another player but it won't be Gooden. Enough big men already.

I don't understand all the fuss about this, the Celtics are doing what they did last season, adding veterans after the trade deadline. Nothing new or unexpected.

they didnt add a potential all star last year. this signing will either make them almost unbeatable or fuck up their locker room. im hoping for the latter. as far as mikki more, he doesnt have the size like pj brown did.

mogrovejo
02-25-2009, 12:46 PM
they didnt add a potential all star last year. this signing will either make them almost unbeatable or fuck up their locker room. im hoping for the latter. as far as mikki more, he doesnt have the size like pj brown did.

Who's a potential all-star? Marbury? Do you live in 2002? I say there's 0 chance Marbury makes them almost unbeatable or fucks up the locker room - worst case scenario, he's cut. But Marbury isn't completely stupid, he know what he has to do to get a new NBA contract as a starter next season.

We didn't need the size, just the length.

TheProfessor
02-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Potential All-Star? Who exactly would that be? Certainly not Marbury at this point. And there's something else that could happen - he could be entirely ineffective since he hasn't seen a court in forever.

What Mikkie Moore doesn't bring is Brown's fundamentals and IQ. He's an athlete, but who knows how he'll integrate into the system or the defensive schemes.

Bandwagon Fan
02-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Rofl at the team being better. Yeah Rondo is better, but KG and Pierce are both WORSE and Allen is doing about the same as always, maybe even a bit worse as well. Perkins certainly hasnt shown any improvement in anything other then getting Technicals.

TwinTowers
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
After all the drama with the Knicks I'm pretty sure Marbury will get his act right, besides he's in a contract year. My only question is how Rondo, T Allen, and House will react when they see their roles diminished.

DrHouse
02-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Marbury will be fine after he shakes off his rust. Despite his poor basketball IQ he's still a lethal weapon to bring off the bench.