PDA

View Full Version : COLUMN: Stop the insanity of pot laws

Galileo
02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
COLUMN: Stop the insanity of pot laws

By Jim Maas • February 24, 2009

For the Wausau Daily Herald

Michael Phelps, Olympic champion and super athlete, smoked marijuana! Shock and awe! Kathleen Parker's Feb. 5 column in the Wausau Daily Herald nailed it: "Phelps embodies insanity of drug laws."

The response to Phelps' "crime" shows how some people have been twisted by a generation of government propaganda. No one seems to question how it is that marijuana became illegal, or stays illegal, while much more dangerous drugs are legal, licensed, and sold openly. How dangerous?

Examine the estimated annual deaths caused by the following drugs:

Tobacco: 390,000

Alcohol: 150,000

Prescription drugs: 106,000

Heroin: 400

Cocaine: 200

Marijuana: 0

Despite the tyrannical methods the government uses to control people's recreational choices, drug use continues unabated. Why do politicians fight so hard to continue this insane war on drugs? Could it be because the war allows them to continually expand their power over our property, bank accounts and private lives?

What about Michael Phelps, one of America's best athletes? Kellogg's will foolishly dump him from its cereal boxes. (Boycott Kellogg's.) USA Swimming has banned him from the Grand Prix event next month. We'll see how they do without their best swimmer.

Swimming isn't the only sport to discriminate against pot users. I don't get it. I thought pot-heads were supposedly listless, unmotivated losers, not accomplished athletes. Marijuana hasn't been described as a performance-enhancing drug. Why do sports officials feel the need to participate in the mindless government zero-tolerance prohibition program?

Come to think of it, sports isn't the only area where we know of responsible and productive consumers of marijuana. Scientists, including Richard Feynman, Stephen Jay Gould, Margaret Mead, and Carl Sagan indulged. Billionaire executives like Sir Richard Branson and Bill Gates, and musical and literary geniuses, including Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and William Butler Yeats, got high. So have many elected officials, notably including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Bloomberg, Newt Gingrich, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, George Bush, and Barack Obama.

Michael Phelps made a mistake. Instead of apologizing for being outed, he should have said something like, "I'm sorry -- that you feel the need to publicly flog me for something that is none of your bleeping business. I work extremely hard 10 months a year and have represented my sport and our country with distinction. If I want to relax during a brief down time using a natural herbal substance that is much less damaging to my body than alcohol or tobacco, I will. Spare me the lecture."

If we own our bodies, adults should be able to ingest whatever suits them without judgment by the busybodies of this world.

The platform of the Libertarian Party of Wisconsin includes a plank on victimless crime:

"Because only actions that infringe on the rights of others can properly be termed 'crimes,' we favor the repeal of federal, state, and local laws restricting our fundamental freedom to govern our own lives.

"In particular, we advocate:

"The repeal of laws restricting the production, sale, possession, or use of prohibited drugs and medicines."

In Wisconsin, let's end the madness. End criminal penalties for victimless crimes, starting with medical marijuana use. Michigan, home of Kellogg's, has already done so.

Jim Maas of Rothschild is chairman of the Libertarian Party of Wisconsin.

Read reactions to this story

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009902240643

Wild Cobra
02-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow... You found a topic I can agree with you on. Legalize this God given gift.

Galileo
02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Wow... You found a topic I can agree with you on. Legalize this God given gift.

my friend wrote the article.

I see you are quoting James Reston, have you read his book on Galileo?

Wild Cobra
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
my friend wrote the article.

I see you are quoting James Reston, have you read his book on Galileo?
LOL...

What are you talking about?

Quote from John Reston (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/quotes)

Looker, 1981 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/)

Galileo
02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
LOL...

What are you talking about?

Quote from James Reston (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/quotes)

Looker, 1981 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/)

Sorry, I thought J. Reston was the author James Reston.

Wild Cobra
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry, I thought J. Reston was the author James Reston.
Sorry, a fictional character played by James Coburn. Looker was a good movie for the time. Haven't seen it in years, probably a bit cheesy now, with how far animation has come. It has a unique plot, worth watching once.

Wild Cobra
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I keep wanting to change the quote to reflect the media in general, but haven't taken the time yet.

baseline bum
02-24-2009, 09:52 PM
That cocaine number seems way to low, although I support legalization of all drugs.

baseline bum
02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Swimming isn't the only sport to discriminate against pot users. I don't get it. I thought pot-heads were supposedly listless, unmotivated losers, not accomplished athletes. Marijuana hasn't been described as a performance-enhancing drug. Why do sports officials feel the need to participate in the mindless government zero-tolerance prohibition program?

Come to think of it, sports isn't the only area where we know of responsible and productive consumers of marijuana. Scientists, including Richard Feynman, Stephen Jay Gould, Margaret Mead, and Carl Sagan indulged. Billionaire executives like Sir Richard Branson and Bill Gates, and musical and literary geniuses, including Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and William Butler Yeats, got high. So have many elected officials, notably including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Bloomberg, Newt Gingrich, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, George Bush, and Barack Obama.

Michael Phelps made a mistake. Instead of apologizing for being outed, he should have said something like, "I'm sorry -- that you feel the need to publicly flog me for something that is none of your bleeping business. I work extremely hard 10 months a year and have represented my sport and our country with distinction. If I want to relax during a brief down time using a natural herbal substance that is much less damaging to my body than alcohol or tobacco, I will. Spare me the lecture."

:tu This part is great

Galileo
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
:tu This part is great

I agree.

Jim Marshall, who set the NFL record for consecutive games played, and Robert Parish, at one time the oldest player in the NBA, have both been busted for drugs (Mrshal for coke, Parish for pot).

George Gervin got busted for weed too.

Boy, Marshal, Parish, and Gervin were all listless and lazy, weren't they?

mouse
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I am waiting to see what Chump says before I take a side on this issue.

Galileo
02-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Recommend(8) is up to 8.

Come on guys and gals, click on Recommend.

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009902240643

Help get the message out.

mouse
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I think its better Pot is illegal how else can the growers make any money if folks can just go to the liquor store and buy it?

Re-Animator
02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Speaking of pot PM me if you got a bag to sell. :smokin

Wild Cobra
02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
That cocaine number seems way to low, although I support legalization of all drugs.
I would be for that under the clause that anyone using the more debilitating drugs already have the financial means to take care of themselves, so taxpayers don't have to.

2Blonde
02-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I think it should be legalized. As if my opinion matters!:lol

baseline bum
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I agree.

Jim Marshall, who set the NFL record for consecutive games played, and Robert Parish, at one time the oldest player in the NBA, have both been busted for drugs (Mrshal for coke, Parish for pot).

George Gervin got busted for weed too.

Boy, Marshal, Parish, and Gervin were all listless and lazy, weren't they?

To be fair, Gervin's career ended pretty prematurely, likely as a result of cocaine abuse. I personally don't find anything good about coke (hated it the two times I tried it), but I still believe it's someone's right to put what he wants into his own body, and I hate the crime it brings into our neighborhoods.

boutons_
02-25-2009, 12:39 AM
decriminalizing MJ polls higher than the Repugs! :lol

Alex Jones
02-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Did making Alcohol illegal work? why are the law makers so naive?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-25-2009, 01:36 AM
I have a firm belief that the drug laws are not going to change until the old guard leave the power structure. Every time that a Jesse Helms, Phil Gramm or Orin Hatch leaves power or dies off it becomes that much closer. There just seems to be a huge difference in the mindset of people before 1950 and after.

Bartleby
02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
I think its better Pot is illegal how else can the growers make any money if folks can just go to the liquor store and buy it?

Small growers will serve a niche, like microbrewers. There will be a market for people who want something more than just Bud.

CubanMustGo
02-25-2009, 09:41 AM
OMG, WC, Galileo, and I agree on something. See, you truly can work with those on the other side of the aisle. Legalize it, tax it, and move on.

Mr. Peabody
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know about legalizing pot and selling it a the store, but I am in favor of decriminalization, at least to the extent where people are no longer going to jail for personal use amounts. I think a ticket and small fine are more than enough punishment for misdemeanor quantities. I

The Reckoning
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
pot won't be legalized as long as the public continues its crusade against tobacco

Wild Cobra
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't know about legalizing pot and selling it a the store, but I am in favor of decriminalization, at least to the extent where people are no longer going to jail for personal use amounts. I think a ticket and small fine are more than enough punishment for misdemeanor quantities. I
It's safer than both cigarettes and alcohol.

Al Gore
02-26-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't know about legalizing pot and selling it a the store,

Why not? It's not like kids can't get pot now a days anyway. At least at the store they need ID card. Besides most people that want pot legal are not saying so because they want more drugs on the street they are saying it so the prisons and jails can be used for other crimes and money to fight more violent offensives.

mouse
02-26-2009, 03:11 AM
It's safer than both cigarettes and alcohol.

oh shit I have to agree with wild Cobra? who said pot doesn't bring people together? But I still think your dead wrong about 9/11 and you and your red bull induced friend Chump are in trouble this week end If I score some pot and start spamming this forum with so many 9/11 facts you will feel like Mel Gibson inside a Jewish bakery.

RandomGuy
05-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Another interesting blast form the 2009 era.