PDA

View Full Version : Do we need better commentators???

scanry
02-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I like Sean Eliot, but he was way too homerish today.

Is it me or does anybody else find Bill Land annoying as hell? BTW the "Oh Mama" comment is so fucking gay. Enough already... :bang

Wish we had commentators like the Knicks & the Nets. We should trade ours for Breen & Clyde or Marv & Frettelo. :p:

gospursgojas
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Land>Dick Stockton, Gregg Papa, and that guy that does fiesta dodge commercials now ???

I do, however, love your avi

Hemotivo
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I like Sean Eliot

:wtf

:sleep

Sausage
02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Bill Land and Sean Elliott are great PBP guys. Can't ask for a better announce duo then those two.

tomtom
02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes the oh mama shit is annoying as hell.

superbigtime
02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I like them, I don't care if they are homers, which they clearly are. But Elliott and Land are respectful to the opponent and they don't whine too much about the refs although Sean's "I don't know about that one" is pretty predictable. They know alot about the Spurs, and that's what I want them to pass on to me. Joel what's his face who does the Lakers' games now used to commentate for the Spurs, and he was an outsider who really didn't relate to the team like Land/Elliott. I like these guys.

braeden0613
02-25-2009, 12:11 AM
It's a freaking spurs telecast why shouldn't they be homers. Yeah the MSG and YES commentators are enjoyable to listen to but that's from a non-nets or knicks fan point of view.

SequSpur
02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
wtf? bill land and sean elliott give me a bone when I am watching the spurs..

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2009, 12:37 AM
they're definitely homers, but I love listening to them..

the majority of local announcers are homers, it's expected..

tp2021
02-25-2009, 12:38 AM
wtf? bill land and sean elliott give me a bone when I am watching the spurs..

I never pictured you saying that.... :lol

sabar
02-25-2009, 12:40 AM
They work great together and have a hundred times the insight that the national announcers have.

No local broadcast national spurs game = :vomit:

bigdog
02-25-2009, 12:42 AM
most local announcers are homers. that's just how it is. they're alright but bill land just gets annoying after a while.

Spursfan092120
02-25-2009, 12:43 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again..I love Sean...I like Bill Land too. Sure, they're homers..but as I've also said before..that's why they're local, not national..of course they're going to be homers.

Killakobe81
02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Im sorrry they suck and Joel Myers (is just ok) I do enjoy Stu but he hasnt been thesame since chick passes Chick n Stu were the best ...RIP ..."Chicky baby"

TDMVPDPOY
02-25-2009, 01:27 AM
i wanan see bill walton, barkley and maybe marv albert together.....JVG talks how he sees it, non of the homerish shit...he might be boring cause he aint no comedian....

actually is there no bias commentators doing ball games or what?

Juanobili
02-25-2009, 01:29 AM
I like them, I don't care if they are homers, which they clearly are. But Elliott and Land are respectful to the opponent and they don't whine too much about the refs although Sean's "I don't know about that one" is pretty predictable. They know alot about the Spurs, and that's what I want them to pass on to me. Joel what's his face who does the Lakers' games now used to commentate for the Spurs, and he was an outsider who really didn't relate to the team like Land/Elliott. I like these guys.

nicely said

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Bill and Sean are great

Interrohater
02-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Sean Elliott is one of the funniest mofuggas on TV when it comes to color commentary. He's the reason I get so pissed off when League Pass doesn't have the Spurs broadcast. That and the H-E-B commercials. Shit is hilarious.

urunobili
02-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Dude...?!?! :wtf

Silverheart80
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Sean Elliott talks basketball and actually pays attention to the game that's happening in front of him, which is increasingly rare with color commentators. These days, they're usually more concerned with winning debate points. And on top of that, he's funny as hell. San Antonio's really lucky to have him.

I'm trying to think of ex-NBA ballers who offer more useful insights than Sean. I can't come up with any. Remember the old NBA-on-NBC days when Isiah or Magic would butcher not only the broadcast, but the entire English language? Isiah thought he was smooth when he would lob juicy nuggets like "he's got the oooh and the aaah." Yeah, thanks for nothing, Isiah....

Looking at primetime broadcasts today, who's better than Sean? Bill Walton? Don't even get me started how lame and tired that guy's act is. Mark Jackson? He's everything I don't want in a color commentator. His goal = just to sound street, win debate points, and try to look cool. Like I said, a basic grasp of the English language would be nice.

I'll take Sean Elliott on my broadcast team every day of the week.

JudynTX
02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Sean Elliott is one of the funniest mofuggas on TV when it comes to color commentary. He's the reason I get so pissed off when League Pass doesn't have the Spurs broadcast. That and the H-E-B commercials. Shit is hilarious.

+1

I love those Seanisms. :lol

Bartleby
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I like Sean Eliot, but he was way too homerish today.

Ever listened to Boston's commentators? Tommy Heinsohn is the king of homers, far worse than Sean by a long shot.

LockBeard
02-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Sean is horrible.

"That wasn't a foul" "Where's the travel?" "blah blah blah"

Dude is too big of a homer.

MoSpur
02-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Would you rather have Coby Dietrich?

TheDarkSide.
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Are you joking? Sean is hilarous and Bill is meh...the "oh mama" gets me everytime. I could care less if Sean seems like a homer he's obviously a spurs fan who will see calls the way we do. "WHAT FOUL? HE WAS NOWHERE NEAR HIM! etc."

scanry
02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Sean Elliott talks basketball and actually pays attention to the game that's happening in front of him, which is increasingly rare with color commentators. These days, they're usually more concerned with winning debate points. And on top of that, he's funny as hell. San Antonio's really lucky to have him.

I'm trying to think of ex-NBA ballers who offer more useful insights than Sean. I can't come up with any. Remember the old NBA-on-NBC days when Isiah or Magic would butcher not only the broadcast, but the entire English language? Isiah thought he was smooth when he would lob juicy nuggets like "he's got the oooh and the aaah." Yeah, thanks for nothing, Isiah....

Looking at primetime broadcasts today, who's better than Sean? Bill Walton? Don't even get me started how lame and tired that guy's act is. Mark Jackson? He's everything I don't want in a color commentator. His goal = just to sound street, win debate points, and try to look cool. Like I said, a basic grasp of the English language would be nice.

I'll take Sean Elliott on my broadcast team every day of the week.

I would take Clyde & Mike Breen of the Knicks every day of the week. I would also take Mike Fratello & Marv Albert of the Nets.

BTW you may have watched the latter years of NBA on NBC, but in the early 1990's the combination of Marv Albert & Mike Fretello was probably the best commentary tandem ever in NBA. They were a lot better in those days than they are now, and that says something.

I know people like Eliot & Land around here, but when your broadcast is on National television (it was on NBA TV yesterday), atleast try to be more unbiased. That's probably another reason why the NBA Leaguepass doesn't use our feed.

I may be a Spurs fan, but i would rather watch the Knicks, Nets, Clippers, Lakers, Miami, Minnesota, Chicago, Washington and Indiana's feed than ours.

TheDarkSide.
02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Another Elliott comment on Barea, "They have him listed as 6 foot? He's looks about 5'10" in heels!"

Crookshanks
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
You people that live in San Antonio don't realize how good you have it! It sucks being a Spurs fan in other cities and having to watch the Spurs on NBA league pass. Almost all of the other announcers are boring and un-informed - I would LOVE to be able to listen to Bill and Sean on a regular basis!

Creation88
02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
wtf does it matter if they're homers for YOUR team.

Silverheart80
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Always heard good things about Clyde Frazier as a commentator, but never heard one of his broadcasts. So can't offer comment. Will take your word for it. Fratello and Albert were competent. Nothing to wax nostalgic about, but won't offer any argument there. But Mike Breen??? Are you kidding?

Listening to his ABC broadcasts is like nails on a chalkboard. If you're gonna get overly sensitive about homerism, that's not the guy you want to use as a standard. He's doing national broadcasts as an anchor, not as a color analyst, and yet his biases are STILL screamingly obvious. If any big star not wearing a small-market uniform commits a foul, he'll pull the "I'm not sure there was a foul there", whereas he suddenly goes blind and deaf if his big stars commit a foul ("I don't see a foul there.") So predictable and funny that it's almost an SNL skit waiting to happen....

Bottom line -- I think homerism bothers you more than me. I expect content and basketball insight and will ignore the voices (or just turn them down) when the Mike Breens, Brent Musbergers, and Doug Collinses run their junk.

NBAcourtsweatsweeperupper
02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Sean is my favorite.

TDomination
02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I like both Sean and Bill. They make a great duo.

coyotes_geek
02-25-2009, 11:43 AM
It boils down to whether or not you like to hear Spurs games commented on by Spurs fans, which is exactly what Sean and Bill are. Personally, I do. But they are homers and I absolutely get why fans of other teams don't like them.

Obstructed_View
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Elliott did color nationally before he went back to SA, and he was great. I have a feeling he's encouraged to be a homer for the Spurs. I'd probably enjoy hearing someone agree with me that Hill didn't travel or that the charge on Fab was a lame make up call.

NBAcourtsweatsweeperupper
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Of course they are homers. That is a no brainer.

Appoggiatura
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I love Sean Elliott. I'll admit, I'm biased, but it's Sean. SA is truly home for him and it shows whenever I'm back home and get to watch Spurs broadcasts. I actually do miss his work on ESPN.. I'm glad we brought him back where he belongs.

However, I cannot stand Bill Land. "Oh Mama" has me going for the mute button and Bill on the radio faster than Tony can race baseline to baseline. I'm also not a fan of him on Big 12 football games on FSN. IMO, he is the weakest we've had.

We've always had some pretty good p-b-p announcers with the Spurs. Dave Barnett will always be my favorite. Was always so solid and will always remind me of my childhood, growing up in SA and watching Dave, Sean, TC and later Avery, etc. I was a big fan of Greg Papa, even though he'll always be a Bay Area guy. Joel Myers was alright, but no Spurs announcer has sounded like more of an outsider, but I do respect him as a broadcaster. Dick Stockton is in the Basketball Hall Of Fame. Enough said. We were lucky to have him. Land was always the backup guy and eventually just took over the spot. Now, that I live away from SA, I don't mind getting other teams feeds, but I know that I can still get WOAI at night despite being 1,000 miles away.

Sausage
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
The Cavs announce team are horrible. They are boring and they are the biggest homers in the NBA. Bill and Sean are great, and couldn't ask for anyone better.

Silverheart80
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
We've always had some pretty good p-b-p announcers with the Spurs. Dave Barnett will always be my favorite. Was always so solid and will always remind me of my childhood, growing up in SA and watching Dave, Sean, TC and later Avery, etc. I was a big fan of Greg Papa, even though he'll always be a Bay Area guy. Joel Myers was alright, but no Spurs announcer has sounded like more of an outsider, but I do respect him as a broadcaster. Dick Stockton is in the Basketball Hall Of Fame. Enough said. We were lucky to have him. Land was always the backup guy and eventually just took over the spot. Now, that I live away from SA, I don't mind getting other teams feeds, but I know that I can still get WOAI at night despite being 1,000 miles away.

+1: Dave Barnett.....yeah, that guy was really good back in the day, wasn't he? Very solid.

+1: Dick Stockton.....I know this guy gets bagged pretty hard on this board, but he and Elliott together are by far my favorite Spurs broadcast team ever. Stockton was a pleasure because he was no-nonsense and seemed intent on just trying to call a good game rather than draw attention to himself. I think Sean played off him really well and became a better analyst because of him. Stockton wasn't immune to a "senior moment" here or there, but man, that guy was the real deal.

And as far as Bill Land -- can't argue w/ many posters here and their annoyance w/ him. I can take him or leave him. Bottom line -- when a p-b-p guy has someone as good as Sean next to him, he should just play it straight and leave the "oh mamas" at home.

ploto
02-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I have never made it a secret that I absolutely can not stand Bill Land. I mute the TV if I have to watch Spurs coverage of the game because of him.

MoSpur
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
They are homers in a way, but it is the Spurs Broadcast. Not the TNT crew or ESPN crew who are LeBron and Kobe homers.

crc21209
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
I love Sean and Bill, sure theyre homers, but of course who isnt homers for their team? I have heard way worse announcers this yr watching other teams games. Plus its refreshing to hear our guys rather than the sucking off of Lebron and Kobe on the nat'l networks.

superbigtime
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't care if Bill Land says 'Oh Mama!' a few times a game. I would be surprise if he says it more than 5 times a game. Usually 2 or 3 times...so what??? It's not like he's spouting off with every score. Usually he says it when there is great fervor or tension, or when there is just a great play.

arodz
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
I do, however, love your avi

Well, you should know that avitar of the original poster....is a tranny. I'M NOT BULLSHITTING!!!

Death In June
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm also a bill and sean fan, and think they do a better job commentating spurs games than anyone. Every local broadcast is going to have homers for their team; why would you expect any differently? Would you rather listen to douche bag van gundy fail at being funnny, while giving a 30 minute kobe suckfest on a local spurs telecast?

altos
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I have to watch the Spurs on NBA league pass. As such I get to hear all the other team's announcers. While the Spurs announcers are sometimes very much for the Spurs they are fair and are exciting to hear. They make it fun to see the game. Sean has great comments and is funny. Bill brings excitement to the game. I enjoy them both and appreciate their insight.

Manufan909
02-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't care if Bill Land says 'Oh Mama!' a few times a game. I would be surprise if he says it more than 5 times a game. Usually 2 or 3 times...so what??? It's not like he's spouting off with every score. Usually he says it when there is great fervor or tension, or when there is just a great play.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for it either, it's not annoying anyway. And what do you people want in a local commentator duo, there gonna be homers to some degree, get over it. I think Sean is hilarious, he always has a bunch of witty stuff to say. I love when he bags on Bowen, and they go back and forth. :king

And JVG doesn't tell it like it is, he's a Laker/Cav homer like everyone else, and his jokes NEVER work. Plus, he always hates on the Spurs, which gets old. :ihit

I agree on whoever said Marc Jackson focused mostly on sounding "street". I want some intelligent conversation from his voiceovers of video recaps, but it's a no go.:ihit

scanry
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Blazers homers are making Bill Land look like Marv Albert... :lol

EricB
02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I know people like Eliot & Land around here, but when your broadcast is on National television (it was on NBA TV yesterday), atleast try to be more unbiased. That's probably another reason why the NBA Leaguepass doesn't use our feed.

Who gives afuck??

Why do you give a fuck so much what everyone else thinks?

Elliott and Land are the best PBP color combo SA has ever had.

STFU and chill out.

EricB
02-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Elliott did color nationally before he went back to SA, and he was great. I have a feeling he's encouraged to be a homer for the Spurs. I'd probably enjoy hearing someone agree with me that Hill didn't travel or that the charge on Fab was a lame make up call.

I personally like Sean saying when Ginobili dunks on someone "He tells ____ to get him some of THAT"

:lol

Chris
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM
We need better posters.

weebo
02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I would take Clyde & Mike Breen of the Knicks every day of the week. I would also take Mike Fratello & Marv Albert of the Nets.

BTW you may have watched the latter years of NBA on NBC, but in the early 1990's the combination of Marv Albert & Mike Fretello was probably the best commentary tandem ever in NBA. They were a lot better in those days than they are now, and that says something.

I may be a Spurs fan, but i would rather watch the Knicks, Nets, Clippers, Lakers, Miami, Minnesota, Chicago, Washington and Indiana's feed than ours.

Then watch their games. There...problem solved.

der Kaiser
02-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Do these dudes have a catch phrase? I just loath the phoenix radio guy and his "Sazam" after every three. Or Jerry Lawlers "Bingo" and "Oh me Oh My." Jeez, I just want to kick him in the balls.