PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Sits With Stiff Knee; Tests To Come

duncan228
02-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Duncan sits with stiff knee; tests to come (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_sits_with_stiff_knee_tests_to_come.html)
Mike Monroe

Tipoff time for Tuesday's Spurs-Mavericks game at the AT&T Center was approaching, and as veteran power forward Kurt Thomas pulled on his game jersey, he looked across the Spurs' locker room and realized something was amiss.

Missing, in fact, was Tim Duncan, bothered by stiffness in his right knee to the point the team's medical staff decided he should sit out the game.

“He wasn't in his locker,” Thomas said, “so I figured something was going on.”

The Spurs won't know what is really going on inside Duncan's right knee until he visits team doctors today.

The two-time MVP and perennial All-Star power forward has been held out of two of the Spurs' last eight games. He also missed the team's Feb. 3 game at Denver.

Duncan had gone through his normal pregame warmup routine about 90 minutes before tipoff, and when he returned to the locker room, he appeared to be in a jovial mood, joking with reporters. But he rubbed the knee vigorously when he sat in his locker, then reported to head athletic trainer Will Sevening.

Sevening and the medical staff recommended he sit out the game.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was surprised to learn about Duncan's situation.

Though Duncan recently disclosed that his knee has been sore much of the season, he had gone through the team's morning shootaround without incident.

“He'll see the doctors in the morning and we'll see what they say,” Popovich said. “His knee didn't have any strength and he couldn't get it warmed up; he couldn't get it loosened up.”

Duncan's absence meant that the Spurs' remaining big men — Thomas, Matt Bonner and Fabricio Oberto — would have to team up on Dallas' scoring star, Dirk Nowitzki.

Bonner had the primary defensive assignment on Nowitzki, but the Spurs' defensive game plan relied on help defenders behind Bonner. Thomas provided plenty of help. Oberto, logging more playing time than in any game since Nov. 16, took his own turn at frustrating Nowitzki on the perimeter.

When it turned out that Duncan, a member of the NBA's All-Defensive team every season he has been in the league, could not play, adherence to the team's defensive principles was even more vital.

“Obviously, Tim's length makes a big difference when he's coming to help in the paint,” Bonner said, “and his ability to block and change guys' shots. But everybody rose to the challenge and was extra-aggressive rotating whenever Dirk either drove the ball or caught the ball in areas where he's dangerous.”

The Mavericks' All-Star, who entered the game as the NBA's No. 5 scorer, averaging 25.3 points per game, made only five-of-15 shots, finishing with 14 points.

Oberto played his typically physical brand of defense on Nowitzki, even managing to draw an offensive foul on the Mavericks' 7-foot star when Nowitzki led with his elbow as he tried to drive on him in the third quarter.

“I felt I had position on that play,” Oberto said. “Sometimes the defender has to be focused more, because the guy who is playing offense has the advantage with the refs. Dirk is a great offensive player, so he usually gets that call.”

timvp
02-25-2009, 01:30 AM
:depressed

I don't like the sound of Duncan needing tests. Looks like it's time for Spurs fans to dust off the rosary beads again . . .

duncan228
02-25-2009, 01:31 AM

I don't like the sound of Duncan needing tests. Looks like it's time for Spurs fans to dust off the rosary beads again . . .

Can I worry now?

Edit: Never mind. I'm worried.

m33p0
02-25-2009, 01:31 AM
nah... duncan is just doggin it coz other than that denver game, he hasn't been given much days offs.

Trainwreck2100
02-25-2009, 01:32 AM
well he's most likely out for today as well

Mavs<Spurs
02-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Tim's injury worries me.

I hope that it is not going to be a persistent problem.

And apparently this has been bothering him for a little while now.

Hopefully he fully recovers and this is just temporary.

Otherwise, this franchise is history. Great history, but just history.

We rise and fall with #21!

Get well and recover quickly Timmy!

:wow:depressed:(

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Sounds like Tendinitis.....

Mavs<Spurs
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM

That doesn't just go away with time though does it?

I am completely guessing, but I think I heard that once you have this, you have it for life.

Some days it will bother you more than others, but you will always have it.

Is this correct?

:depressed:bang:wow:(

Manufan909
02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Hope Spurs can stay unbeaten while he's out(it'll be hard with no Manu as well), he shouldn't miss more than 3-4 games, I think Bonner/KT/Fab/Pops can hold down the fort. It doesn't sound too bad. Get well, Tim!!! Eat all the ice cream sandwiches, and play all the Halo 3 matches you want, just relax.:flag::flag::flag:

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 01:40 AM
That doesn't just go away with time though does it?

I am completely guessing, but I think I heard that once you have this, you have it for life.

Some days it will bother you more than others, but you will always have it.

Is this correct?

:depressed:bang:wow:(

I aint no doctor either.....It was just a guess.

duncan228
02-25-2009, 01:42 AM
I don't like this. It was fine this morning, he went through his "normal pregame warmup", and then this?

His knee didn't have any strength and he couldn't get it warmed up; he couldn't get it loosened up.

Mavs<Spurs
02-25-2009, 01:42 AM

or tarot cards.

Whatever your way of asking / hoping for something good about Timmy's knee regardless of your world view.

Hopefully, somebody's sincere effort at wishing Timmy's knee heels up quickly and fully in accordance with their world view will be responded to positively.

So, everybody from atheist to agnostic to theist of whatever religion, let's wish Tim's knee heals quickly and completely in our own ways.

:flag:

tomtom
02-25-2009, 01:45 AM
damn i hope hes fine

Yorae
02-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Uhm.....rheumatism????

Juanobili
02-25-2009, 01:46 AM
it'll be a sad day when retirement talk will be going on throughout the media

Creation88
02-25-2009, 01:48 AM
i'm scurrred.

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Uhm.....rheumatism????

More like Tendinitis

bigdog
02-25-2009, 01:49 AM
ahh shit. it does sound like Tendinitis, but let's see what happens. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Yorae
02-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Me got a feeling it's got something to do with something he ate in the morning......

EricB
02-25-2009, 01:50 AM
The basketball gods are pissed at the Spurs for some reason.

Dex
02-25-2009, 01:51 AM
:smchode:

Dex
02-25-2009, 01:52 AM
:pctoss

Dex
02-25-2009, 01:52 AM
:frying:

tp2021
02-25-2009, 01:54 AM

We need these ladies.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z84/adrizzle_13/ap_spurs_nuns_070607_ms.jpg

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Tendinitis will be like that plantar fasciitis injury....Needs rest and playing will agravate it.

The worst thing about tendinitis if once he sits on the bench to rest.... it will tighten up and he will struggle with it the rest of the game...........

crc21209
02-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Well Timmy has said all yr it is something that has been bothering him the whole season so...I wouldnt be too worried (I hope). Tim is an unbelievable competitor and he'll play with some pain if he has too. Rest him as long as you have too though, we need a healthy big 3 for the playoffs, all i ask for.

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Well Timmy has said all yr it is something that has been bothering him the whole season so...I wouldnt be too worried (I hope). Tim is an unbelievable competitor and he'll play with some pain if he has too. Rest him as long as you have too though, we need a healthy big 3 for the playoffs, all i ask for.

If thats the case its def a small case of Tendinitis....Its just something that they have to monitor the rest of the season..

timvp
02-25-2009, 02:01 AM
What's weird is that Duncan's "bad" knee is his left one. That's the one that required surgery in 2000. I guess it's slightly good news that it isn't that knee that is giving him problems.

But any type of knee issue is extremely scary.

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 02:02 AM
He could just take ALEVE!!!

duncan228
02-25-2009, 02:02 AM
:vomit:

Yorae
02-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Full recovery is within 4 to 6 weeks.....I really hope it's not that bad....

crc21209
02-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Funny yet interesting take by someone over on the ESPN comments about Timmy sitting out tonight:

Jizoshula (2/24/2009 at 11:14 PM):
50 bucks says Duncan's knee is fine and Popovich is just messin with people again. Parker had been struggling with his shot so Pop probably figured this would be a good way to get him going again. At least that's what I hope happened.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3931983

timvp
02-25-2009, 02:08 AM
They stuck a device on Tim Duncan's chronic left knee last summer, and then they tightened as if they were straightening a board.

Those in the practice facility aren't sure, but they think Duncan's facial expression may have changed.

When the knee had been extended past a certain point, they locked the device. This is what they do to worn joints with a decreased range of motion.

Does anyone know which knee was bothering Duncan that Pop pointed to as the reason why he sat him against Denver?

timvp
02-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Funny yet interesting take by someone over on the ESPN comments about Timmy sitting out tonight:

Jizoshula (2/24/2009 at 11:14 PM):
50 bucks says Duncan's knee is fine and Popovich is just messin with people again. Parker had been struggling with his shot so Pop probably figured this would be a good way to get him going again. At least that's what I hope happened.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3931983Sitting Duncan would be the last thing to do if your goal is to get Parker going.

phyzik
02-25-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm not worried. Tim will be back for the payoffs at the worst.

He played on 2 bad ankles in the playoffs before, he can handle this.

Manufan909
02-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Full recovery is within 4 to 6 weeks.....I really hope it's not that bad....

Did you just randomly put that to freak people out??? If so, it worked. Not cool dude. Now my stomach is all tight.:nope

timvp
02-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Duncan has legitimate reasons to tire, too. Gregg Popovich now says he benched Duncan in Denver last week because he had a sore knee.

“It's sore every day,” Duncan said.

Every day?

“Absolutely.” Wish we knew whether that was his left or right knee that was sore.

duncan228
02-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Does anyone know which knee was bothering Duncan that Pop pointed to as the reason why he sat him against Denver?

I assumed it was his left but now I'm not sure. I'm looking to see if I can find anything that says which one it was.

For what it's worth, going through pics of this season it's Duncan's left that's wrapped quite a bit, his right only a couple of times.

Yorae
02-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Did you just randomly put that to freak people out??? If so, it worked. Not cool dude. Now my stomach is all tight.:nope

No man, sorry. I checked Tendinitis and full recover is that long. Initial recovery is within 2 to 3 days.....

coachmac87
02-25-2009, 02:22 AM
No man, sorry. I checked Tendinitis and full recover is that long. Initial recovery is within 2 to 3 days.....

Its the truth though....

Taking it to the Hole
02-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Just give Tim a couple of days rest and he will be back to his old self. I don't think it is as serious as everyone thinks. I just think tonight was one of those nights who couldn't get his knee loose. He should play by Friday I am hoping against the Cavs.

Mugen
02-25-2009, 02:31 AM
i don't think its that serious either. if he felt fine during morning shootaround then i'm assuming there can't be any serious structural damage?

i hope its just a sore knee and that timmy can be back in a couple of days.

hopefully i'm right.

Yorae
02-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Let's just hope that Tendinitis is the WCS. Let's pray it's just something that will just require a few days of recovery....

Manufan909
02-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Its the truth though....

The post made it seem like that was the case though... I thought he was implying he had just heard something.

Yorae
02-25-2009, 02:36 AM
The post made it seem like that was the case though... I thought he was implying he had just heard something.

Look dude, I just look Tendinitis up. Sorry for vagueness.....

Kori Ellis
02-25-2009, 02:37 AM

Some people have tendinitis issues constantly. Last season (or the year before?) Tony was bothered by it all year. Rest and ice are the main treatments, along with anti-inflammatory meds. Hopefully it's just tendinitis for Tim.

Blackjack
02-25-2009, 03:24 AM

I'm not sure which knee it is, but when Pop says he had no strength in the knee, I can't help but wonder if it's similar to his 2004 injury.

I can't remember the technical term, but it was a wear-and-tear problem that had the knee basically wear out like an overused hinge.

IIRC it cost Tim 2-3 weeks (and when he came back, he came off the bench, as if Pop was making a point to Iverson for Larry) but more importantly, he never regained complete confidence in his knee for the rest of the year. At least, that's what it looked like to me after seeing how effective Malone was defending him during the playoffs. He just didn't have the explosion or decisiveness to make moves without thinking, which enabled a player he consistently dominated to have an unusual amount of success.

Here's hoping it's just a minor set-back, and that if it is something that will linger physically, to some degree, it won't be significant enough to do the same mentally.

ulosturedge
02-25-2009, 04:18 AM
I don't think its serious. I'm sure Pop is just looking to minimize the wear and tear on Tim's body so that he won't be banged up come playoff time.

Evil Angel
02-25-2009, 04:51 AM
Can only hope not serious, and I don't think it is.
Time will tell.

Bruno
02-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Time for that pic with the praying dog. :)

timvp
02-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Time for that pic with the praying dog. :)

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

Please, basketball gods, spare us once again.

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2009, 06:52 AM
During the All Star Game TD spent a lot of time on the bench with the hand on his knee. Somebody who taped the game can see it, I remember I first noticed it in the 2nd quarter. If I’m not wrong was the right one. But if someone have this one better can check in the 2nd quarter.

Let's hope for a good news later today

WalterBenitez
02-25-2009, 06:55 AM
We need these ladies.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z84/adrizzle_13/ap_spurs_nuns_070607_ms.jpg

:( We will need these ladies and a meeting with their boss.

I hope this knee's issue were nothing.

ManuTastic
02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Can't remember the details, but didn't have Jordan have sore knees for, like, years?

buttsR4rebounding
02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Can't remember the details, but didn't have Jordan have sore knees for, like, years?

Heck, half of the NBA has sore knees. Check out both benches at the end of any blowout game in the NBA and you'll see 3 or 4 guys on each bench with ice bags taped to their knees. That's also why these guys eat anti-inflamatories like they are a basic food group.

Rogue
02-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I hope Pop will rest Duncan till his knee is 100% healed, I really don't want tmac's tragedy to happen again.

cool hand
02-25-2009, 08:15 AM
pops pops pops

Evil Angel
02-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Maybe... Pop resting Timmy so he has him tonight against Portland. He caught a lot of shit for sitting him in Denver on the second game of back to back. So sit him on the first instead.
Need him more tonight than last night.

1Parker1
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Man, this is turning out NOT to be the Spurs season at all. Such an Odd season...even the annual RRT was odd with the break in the middle and Manu's injury.

Thomas82
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Man, this is turning out NOT to be the Spurs season at all. Such an Odd season...even the annual RRT was odd with the break in the middle and Manu's injury.

I'm confident that it will end the way we all want it to end, with the Spurs getting their 5th trophy (and Tim getting his 4th Finals MVP).

xtremesteven33
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I dont get a bad feeling about this at all.

I really think its just Pop wanting to rest Duncan much more knowing we can be no lower than the 3rd seed this year.

polandprzem
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM

I really think its just Pop wanting to rest Duncan much more knowing we can be no lower than the 3rd seed this year.

we can't be lower?

Ahh thats iteresting

xtremesteven33
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
we can't be lower?

Ahh thats iteresting

Dallas sucks
Phoenix sucks
Hornets are inconsistent
Rockets are hurt
Blazers are inconsistent
Nuggets are inconsistent

No major threats in the West anymore besides the Lakers.

Dex
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
:nutkick:

ploto
02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
It became a concern when local articles started mentioning his knee over and over again lately.

remingtonbo2001
02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I was wondering if Pop sat Duncan due to the back to back, giving a generic excuse. However, if test are in order, it may be more serious than I thought.

Get well soon, Timmy.

GSH
02-25-2009, 02:28 PM

No, it sounds like a partially torn meniscus. Sounds pretty much exactly like a partially torn meniscus, based on that description.

That doesn't mean that they got the symptoms right (or complete) in the article. But from the description, I'd give it about 80% that's what they find.

[Edit:] For the record, if there is fluid on the knee, there is something causing the fluid buildup. It doesn't just happen.

duncan228
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM
:vomit:

peskypesky
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Heck, half of the NBA has sore knees. Check out both benches at the end of any blowout game in the NBA and you'll see 3 or 4 guys on each bench with ice bags taped to their knees. That's also why these guys eat anti-inflamatories like they are a basic food group.

anyone know if there are stories of ex-NBA'ers needing knee replacements as they head into their senior years? you would think it, considering all the pounding those knees take through high school, college and the pros.

my mom had a knee replacement last year, and although the rehab was really hard for her, she is so glad she did it. years and years of terrible pain are now just a memory.

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
The wait is killing me

I hope we know something before tonight game

Spursmania
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
At the all-star game Tim told reporters that his knees hurt everyday. It's a part of the game. The question is: How long can his knees hold up-I mean if he's in pain everyday-that sucks...:wakeup I think it's tendinitis which is common but the degree of pain varies day to day. I guess we'll know more tonight.

duncan228
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
A couple of hours ago.

Tim Duncan: (Knee) Wednesday Status Unclear (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-imuncanneeednesdayta&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Update: Duncan’s status for Wednesday’s game against Portland remains uncertain, the San Antonio Express-News reports.

Recommendation: Duncan began experiencing pain in his right knee after warm-ups and did not play on Tuesday against Dallas. Don’t expect the Spurs to rush him back, so Kurt Thomas could be in the starting lineup once again.

polandprzem
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Tommorow we will hear two weeks

It is really not good.

Only totally able to play spurs team is capable to win a championship. If Timmy Manu and Tony won't be (every one of them) in 92.56% we are done

Brutalis
02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Stiff knees have been bothering him for a while. I think it's been getting worse now that we are pushing into playoff positioning and the home stretch now the rrt is over.

Today is also a b2b, which Pop could have been just resting him to avoiding furthering his soreness. Besides, Timmy is getting old in the basketball world, we have to expect stuff like this from now on because 12 years of the NBA is showing on his body.

Duncan2177
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Tommorow we will hear two weeks

It is really not good.

Only totally able to play spurs team is capable to win a championship. If Timmy Manu and Tony won't be (every one of them) in 92.56% we are done

How do you know Tim will be out 2 weeks?

duncan228
02-25-2009, 04:13 PM
How do you know Tim will be out 2 weeks?

I think it's a guess, there's nothing released yet, (at least nothing that I've found).

Galileo
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Duncan will be out until the tests results come back. Assuming nothing is wrong with him, then he will be back, but will be monitored.

timvp
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

The problem with this take and others that suggest this is a Pop ploy is that Duncan told Pop last night he wasn't playing. Pop was as surprised as everyone else.

Dex
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
The problem with this take and others that suggest this is a Pop ploy is that Duncan told Pop last night he wasn't playing. Pop was as surprised as everyone else.

You are a plethora of buzzkill information.

Not tryin to kill the messenger or anything, though.

Dex
02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
:hang

duncan228
02-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Editor's update: (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/spurs-add-pops.html)The Spurs sent out a news release at 3:09 p.m. announcing Tim Duncan will not play tonight due to "right quad tendonosis."

dougp
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Editor's update: (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/spurs-add-pops.html)The Spurs sent out a news release at 3:09 p.m. announcing Tim Duncan will not play tonight due to "right quad tendonosis."

Heal time for tendonitis is 4-6 weeks - crap!

http://www.getprolo.com/tendonitis.htm

phxspurfan
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah sit him for awhile...only way to ge thim through the entire postseason.