PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Defense Now vs. A Week Ago

wijayas
02-25-2009, 05:36 AM
FG% Allowed: #17 a week ago, #14 now.
Points Allowed: #5 a week ago, #3 now.

The Spurs is heating up to its post RRT form. Go Spurs!!!

Chieflion
02-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Without one of the big three, the Spurs turn up the heat more defensively. I think it is because of the urgency, not necessarily the road trip, just my two cents.

Rogue
02-25-2009, 06:14 AM
spurs' bench off players play much harder than Duncan, because they know they won't have that much time to show off after Duncan returns. Duncan won't be 100% focused on defense until the playoffs come, he is saving for the playoffs.

wijayas
02-25-2009, 06:18 AM
spurs' bench off players play much harder than Duncan, because they know they won't have that much time to show off after Duncan returns. Duncan won't be 100% focused on defense until the playoffs come, he is saving for the playoffs.

Sensible thought!

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-25-2009, 06:21 AM
It's unreal how good the defense has been the last 2 games, almost as if Pop pressed the Defense ON button or something, let's hope we continue this way.

scanry
02-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Team Rankings

SA Conf Rank NBA Rank
PPG 97.6 12 21
PA/G 93.7 1 3
FG% .464 5 7
Opp FG% .453 5 12
STL/G 5.8 15 30
TO/G 11.7 1 2

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Wow, what a surprise... NOT.

Where are all the people who were jumping off cliffs a month ago, and didn't understand SPAM? And we're not even at March yet! The Spurs always ramp up the D after AS Break, same again this year.

Excellent, but entirely predictable, news. :tu

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Wow, what a surprise... NOT.

Where are all the people who were jumping off cliffs a month ago, and didn't understand SPAM? And we're not even at March yet! The Spurs always ramp up the D after AS Break, same again this year.

Excellent, but entirely predictable, news. :tu

Technically you're spot on, however, this year Pop has undeniably stressed more on the offensive part than in previous years. Basketball has changed a bit and we're adjusting, we've desperately needed e solid 4th scoring option, especially last season, so we've got Mason now. Bonner has stepped up in place of Oberto because we're a better offensive unit this way. Bowen is getting a much reduced role in favor of Fin and Mason now - all these changes have been made in order to make us better offensively, which we need to be in order to beat our main rivals for the title.

So, the question was whether we can get back our defensive prowess while keeping the improved offense.

Bottomline is, if we do, we'd be a much better team than last year's.

urunobili
02-25-2009, 08:17 AM
SPAM :wakeup

wijayas
02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
One more defensive performance against Portland tonight, we'll leapfrog the Hawks, 76ers and Bobcats to #11 on FG% allowed.

Go Spurs!

tonylongoriafan
02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
the stats are great and all but we're still slow on weakside rotations...the better shooting teams will make us pay more than the wizards and a struggling dallas team...we need more games like that detroit game, that's the goal, not games like NY

Obstructed_View
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
I like their defense in stretches, but the best defensive lineup on the floor last night could barely get a shot off.

Biggems
02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
SPAM

gotta love some trailer park filet mignon

papashango
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I like their defense in stretches, but the best defensive lineup on the floor last night could barely get a shot off.

I think the best defense out there that can actually score is when they play Finley and Mason alongside each other. I thought having Bowen and Udoka out there at the same time would come back to bite us in the ass.

Obstructed_View
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I think the best defense out there that can actually score is when they play Finley and Mason alongside each other. I thought having Bowen and Udoka out there at the same time would come back to bite us in the ass.

I'll go back and check to see who it was, but Mason's not much of a passer, and Finley can't create his own shot, and both are prone to falling asleep on their rotations. That good defensive lineup (that included Fin IIRC) had two near 24 second violations in a row and couldn't blow the game open despite getting stops.

papashango
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
I'll go back and check to see who it was, but Mason's not much of a passer, and Finley can't create his own shot, and both are prone to falling asleep on their rotations. That good defensive lineup (that included Fin IIRC) had two near 24 second violations in a row and couldn't blow the game open despite getting stops.

Two near 24 second violations is hardly something to complain about lol. Maybe two 24 second violations okay but near? If it didn't happen why complain about it? Defensively I think the best lineup is Mason, Finley, Parker, Kurt and Bonner. Which is more than likely going to be our starting lineup. But having George Hill, Udoka, Bowen and Oberto out there together screams trouble.

rascal
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Too small a sample size to be comparing pre and post all star break changes in defense.

Solid D
02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
In the last 3 games since the OT loss to the Knicks, Spurs are allowing an average of 74 ppg.

Solid D
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
In addition to 74 ppg, they are also allowing .359 on 2-PT FGs and a paltry .125 on 3-PT FGs.

ElNono
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Color me impressed if we keep up those numbers against the Cavs on Friday...

Dex
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
In addition to 74 ppg, they are also allowing .359 on 2-PT FGs and a paltry .125 on 3-PT FGs.

:wow

mogrovejo
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't know if the Spurs defence is getting better or not, probably it is. But to prove it, you people should use:
a) points per possession
b) weight to the strength of the opponents
c) a bigger sample

Manufan909
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
McCallum, by not only writing off the Spurs, but presuming a Odenless Portland club can do jack shit in the POs. Are they even top 5 in the W?

crc21209
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I was thinking about this last night also in the middle of the 3rd or so, that Spurs D, like always, slowly but surely, is kicking in. The last 3 games the Spurs have held their opponents to 79, 67, and 76. Thats pretty damn good!

superbigtime
02-25-2009, 02:19 PM
McCallum, by not only writing off the Spurs, but presuming a Odenless Portland club can do jack shit in the POs. Are they even top 5 in the W?

Houston surpassed them last night, and now Portland is number 5.

LockBeard
02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Mason and Hill fill up the passion bucket.

Obstructed_View
02-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Only 1 title contender in the West....PLEASE! I hope he is talking about the Spurs, but I know he isn't.

I haven't seen good play from the Spurs for a long enough stretch to believe that they can beat LA in a seven game series. Fab and KT are showing signs of life, but the best two players on the team are banged up and their defense has been shaky all year.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
I haven't seen good play from the Spurs for a long enough stretch to believe that they can beat LA in a seven game series. Fab and KT are showing signs of life, but the best two players on the team are banged up and their defense has been shaky all year.

:tu bingo

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
another great defensive game..

I agree with the 2 posters above me that we haven't shown enough to warrant consideration of upsetting LA..but it starts with defense, and we're starting to show life there..

it all starts with Spurs defense..

wijayas
02-25-2009, 11:11 PM
This dumbass doesn't know shit and this reflects most of the writers and so-called experts:
Jack McCallum: Interesting question since the league has become so clearly demarcated, with three contenders in the East and only one in the West. So I assume we mean a move that lands a team a spot or two higher, not at the very top of the standings. I look, then, to the West and choose the Trail Blazers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/trail_blazers). Greg Oden (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4243) is hurt again. So what? I'm not writing him off (though I thought then and think now that Kevin Durant (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4244) would've been a better pick in the 2007 draft), but they're just as good without him right now. Portland will pass the Nuggets and have a chance to overtake the Spurs for second.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/02/24/writers.roundtable/index.html

Only 1 title contender in the West....PLEASE! I hope he is talking about the Spurs, but I know he isn't.

What say you Mr. McCallum. We blow your beloved Portland without the other Big 2. What else have you got to say? :lmao :lmao :lmao

Solid D
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Update: The past 4 games

Opp. PPG 76.5
Opp. FG% .364
Opp. 3-Pt% .175

swati'mtawkinabout!

Dex
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Update: The past 4 games

Opp. PPG 76.5
Opp. FG% .364
Opp. 3-Pt% .175

swati'mtawkinabout!

I'm startin to think Tim and Manu are doggin' it on defense. :lol

Agloco
02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
It's unreal how good the defense has been the last 2 games, almost as if Pop pressed the Defense ON button or something, let's hope we continue this way.

Or pressed.....

http://www.espnshop.com/images/products/large_w/68226075_w.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Eb4KkMHW8Fg/SW2RoHyDIEI/AAAAAAAAARU/sjYpLMi7RYI/s320/easy-button.jpghttp://www.espnshop.com/images/products/large_w/68226235_w.jpg

timaios
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm startin to think Tim and Manu are doggin' it on defense. :lol

But Tim played in 2 of those 4 games. :p:

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 01:25 PM

I would say having Tim, Tony, or Manu out all those games(I'd guess around 20 at the least) AND having the 2nd best record in the league would make it an easy choice. No one, except maybe the Jazz, have been hit as hard as they have, but the Spurs have the 2nd best record in the West, and 5th in the League. Doing as well with as little makes them a contender in my eyes

And you don't have to believe they can win OV, you just have to believe they'll be able to when the WCF rolls around. Everyone should have good chemistry and the injuries under control by then.

I know I believe.:flag::flag::flag:

Obstructed_View
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
I would say having Tim, Tony, or Manu out all those games(I'd guess around 20 at the least) AND having the 2nd best record in the league would make it an easy choice. No one, except maybe the Jazz, have been hit as hard as they have, but the Spurs have the 2nd best record in the West, and 5th in the League. Doing as well with as little makes them a contender in my eyes

And you don't have to believe they can win OV, you just have to believe they'll be able to when the WCF rolls around. Everyone should have good chemistry and the injuries under control by then.

I know I believe.:flag::flag::flag:

Belief has nothing to do with whether or not they are a contender right now, which is the only thing I took issue with. The fact is the Lakers are the only one in the west. The Spurs have it in them to become one, and they're certainly on the right track. If they go ahead and start playing 48 minute defense and beat teams by double digits for the next couple of weeks, they'll earn their way into that discussion.

buttsR4rebounding
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't know if the Spurs defence is getting better or not, probably it is. But to prove it, you people should use:
a) points per possession
b) weight to the strength of the opponents
c) a bigger sample

Over the last 10 games the Spurs are 1st in opponent's FG%, 1st in opponents 3pt FG%, 2nd in points allowed by .2 points/game. while playing 8 of 10 games on the road.

Cry Havoc
02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
The switch has been flipped.

SenorSpur
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
The pressure is heatin' up!

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
This dumbass doesn't know shit and this reflects most of the writers and so-called experts:
Jack McCallum: Interesting question since the league has become so clearly demarcated, with three contenders in the East and only one in the West. So I assume we mean a move that lands a team a spot or two higher, not at the very top of the standings. I look, then, to the West and choose the Trail Blazers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/trail_blazers). Greg Oden (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4243) is hurt again. So what? I'm not writing him off (though I thought then and think now that Kevin Durant (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4244) would've been a better pick in the 2007 draft), but they're just as good without him right now. Portland will pass the Nuggets and have a chance to overtake the Spurs for second.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/02/24/writers.roundtable/index.html

Is this the same Portland Trailblazers that just lost to a Manu-less and Timmy-less Spurs? And they're going to overtake us in the freaking PLAYOFFS?! Wow...And this guy has a job in sports?

GSH
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Here's a little mental exercise for Spurs fans. (The rest of you are exempt.) Picture Pop in a post-game interview, and some journalist suggests that Tim Duncan doesn't focus on defense until the playoffs; and that the bench players play much harder than Tim does.

Does Pop:

A. Set a new record for the most words bleeped in an NBA interview
B. Finally blow a gasket, spurt blood from his eyeballs, and die at the podium
C. Use his CIA connections to make the journalists death look like an accident

CubanMustGo
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
D. Say "that's the stupidest question I've been asked yet. Next?"

ElNono
03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
color me impressed if we keep up those numbers against the cavs on friday...

bump

sook
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
tu7rrible.

rascal
03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Bump. I said it was too small a sample size. Lately the D has taken a step back.