PDA

View Full Version : Duncan-Independent?

sananspursfan21
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I watched the game last night at buffalo wild wings against the mavs and it didn't look like the spurs missed timmy or manu. in the past, duncan being out was like a window wide open for even the lowest teams to snatch an upset.

do you guys think that this year's team is the most duncan-independent? like stated above, in the past, the spurs couldn't buy a win without him, but now they embarrased the fully healthy (correction: almost healthy) mavericks, granted the mavs aren't the same team as they have been in years past. it seems like more players are able to rise above in his abcsense. this may not be the best team in the franchise's history, but i think they are a lot more "duncan-independent", tell me what you think...

(Another correction: When posting this thread, i didn't mean that the spurs were championship contenders without him, of course, overall they wouldn't do anything without him, but i think they can fend for themselves a little better than in the past. that's all, continue posting your thoughts and opinions, just needed to clarify a little :)

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
The Spurs without Duncan would win about 25 games this season.

peskypesky
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
it was just one game, against a lackluster, dispirited opponent with a 50-year old PG. as much as i enjoyed watching it and loved the outcome, i think you'd be wrong to make any generalizations based on last night's game.

and as for the mavs being "fully healthy", i think they were without Jason Terry, were they not?

Bartleby
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
The Mavs were missing Terry, so I wouldn't say they were fully healthy. The energy level for the Spurs was great, which is to be expected, but much of their success can be attributed to the fact that the Mavs played so poorly.

If Duncan sits tonight the Spurs will get a better test of how well they can play without 2 of the Big 3.

HORNSWOGGLE
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
have to remember this was against the Mavs, and they are know for blowing opportunities like that

duncan228
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
The Spurs may be able to win a regular season game without Duncan, but not a Championship. It takes a team, but this teams still starts with, and only goes as far as, Duncan.

Josepatches_
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
The Spurs can win a regular season game but they would be a lottery team without TD

hater
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
:rolleyes

it was one game vs. the Mavs

SPurs will miss Duncan vs. a real NBA team

HORNSWOGGLE
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
The Spurs can win a regular season game but they would be a lottery team without TD
and they would be trying to win a player like Duncan

nkdlunch
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Duncan sits and Spurs lose by double digits tonight

xtremesteven33
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Are you serious?

Kori Ellis
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I think they are more Duncan-co-dependent :)

Spursmania
02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I agree that the Spurs without Timmy would win 20-24 games at best. The Mavs played for shit last night. And, I mean what happened to Dirk-all that talent and no heart. Makes me think that Jet is the heart of the team. I mean I can't stand the guy but at least he has some bravado backed up by his shot. I know Dirk was doubled but Hell he could have done better than that. Man, we are lucky to have a superstar like Mr. Duncan and his surrounding cast and coaches. Damn lucky...We better enjoy while we can.:wakeup:flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

sananspursfan21
02-25-2009, 02:19 PM
The Spurs may be able to win a regular season game without Duncan, but not a Championship. It takes a team, but this teams still starts with, and only goes as far as, Duncan.

of course guys, i'm not saying anything about them being contenders without him or anything, and the mavs were without Terry, but i mean, that was still a solid win. what will you guys think if they beat a decent young team in the blazers tonight?

besides, Terry being out versus Duncan and Manu out, i don't know man, i was impressed...

sananspursfan21
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I think they are more Duncan-co-dependent :)

haha! thank you, you speak my language :lol

sananspursfan21
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
The Spurs without Duncan would win about 25 games this season.

eh, as opposed to maybe going 10-72 w/out him in passed years

MoSpur
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
The Spurs need Tim Duncan to be winners. They may not need him to win a regular season game, but to be winners, they need Tim.

sananspursfan21
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
The Spurs need Tim Duncan to be winners. They may not need him to win a regular season game, but to be winners, they need Tim.

you're right, they do, but i think they can survive without him as opposed to drowning without him

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Haven't the Spurs hovered somewhere around .500 in recent history in games played without Duncan?

I don't offer that to suggest that the Spurs don't need Duncan -- I might be the biggest believer in the notion that Tim is the Spurs' alpha and omega and that this team does nothing without him. But without looking at numbers, the Spurs have, I think, generally hung in there without him. Obviously, this whole thing depends on Tim. But his teammates have found ways to win without him.

CubanMustGo
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
After we lose to Portland 112-87 tonight nobody will be asking this question.

Fabbs
02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm with the "it's only one game" crowd sananspursfan21, but you make a good point. Below.

Kori Ellis

I think they are more Duncan-co-dependent
And Pops has made em Finley co-dependant. Preseason we mostly one and all agreed that Fins being on as 5th F in limited minutes/games would be a good signing. Now we see Mrs. Popavich starting and getting 30+ regularly. Great when it's the minority times he's hot like vs the Mavs last night, not otherwise. 1 for 3 in playoffs, are we gonna bank on him making it 2 for 4 in 2009?

Point being, getting Ime and other benchers minutes I think is crucial. Sitting Ime consistently in some selfish ego driven *doghouse* is not gonna help for those times when we need a bench role player to help get a title. Which happenes durn near every year in the NBA. Some bench player rises up and excells and helps his team title. I'm not saying Ime will be that guy. I am saying sitting Ime in 20 point blowouts to prove Fins is your favoritizm girlfriend is not team oriented at all. Good to see Imes get some mintes the last few games and do much better then he has all season. Perhaps his confidence level is up and he is out of the phony dawghouse.

duncan228
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Last night.

“Everybody knows without Tim we’re not going to win a championship,” Parker said. “But for one game we can win.”