PDA

View Full Version : Dirk's thoughts

Ghazi
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I found this interesting. Fellow Mavs fans may take an interest in it as well. Found link on d-m.com

http://www.5ivemag.com/nba-coaches/the-big-dirk-nowitzki-interview-part-i/

FiveMagazine.com sat down for a long chat with Dallas Mavericks and Germany star Dirk Nowitzki. Here is part one of a three-part interview where the former NBA MVP talks about his off-season, the differences of being a go-to and a role player and thoughts one day leaving the Big-D.

Every summer you are known to head back to Germany and work on your game. You are now in your 30s and still do it. Why?
The championship still motivates me. We were so close in 2006 in the Finals against Miami … It’s so much fun playing in the playoffs … playing right until the end … on the big stage … it still hurts that we lost back then. That was indescribable. That was the hardest loss I have ever suffered. I still think about it. And some time I want to get that bad taste out of my mouth. There are awesome players who have never won a ring. And people say: “He was great, but he never led his team to a title.” I don’t want people to say that about me.

It’s no secret that not every NBA player prepares so hard in the summer. How do you deal with it when a teammate does not invest as much time and sweat as you during the summer for the common goal?

I know I’m not in an individual sport. If I were in track and field maybe I would have won something big by now. But I am not. I decided for a team sport and I always had more fun in a team. I tried the other way with tennis. That’s what makes it a challenge, playing away from your weaknesses or attacking those of your opponents. That’s what makes a team sport attractive. Finding a way to win despite your own weaknesses is important. But, sure it’s bitter sometimes when a teammate doesn’t invest the necessary time. The best example was Shawn Bradley. He would some times come to training camp and not had a ball in his hands for four months. But what can you do? There is no rule. Everyone needs to figure out for themselves how to stay fit.

Looking back, how do you see the acquisition of Jason Kidd for the second half of the 2007-08 season?
Well, we wanted a playmaker who had been around and already seen everything. I also hoped that Coach (Avery Johnson) would let him play his way, that we would play quicker and have more fun. But just the opposite happened. Avery pushed his style on Jason. It was tough throwing a guy like him into a system which he didn’t really like. How could Jason play his best in that system against the good teams from the West? It’s kind of funny though that Jason held his own defensively. He still has incredibly quick hands.

After losing in the playoffs against Golden State in 2007, everyone spoke of an accident. But a first round loss to the Hornets the next season brought talk of the Mavericks’ swan song. Has your championship window closed?
Good question. I hoped that new players would have brought a new wind into the team. After the loss I said Mark Cuban had the right to get rid of everybody and start all over again. That was construed that I wanted to leave the Mavericks. I was misunderstood. But now we are playing with the same team but just a different coach.

But the race for the playoffs will certainly not be easy this season. And last year you didn’t book your playoff ticket until the last minute …

The West is really tough. But that makes it exciting, that you have to go all out every night to win. Still, just reaching the playoffs cannot be our goal.

Looking down the road, would you be willing to be part of a rebuilding in Dallas in case it doesn’t work out for the playoffs with Jason Kidd?
Not even reaching the playoffs? I am too old for that now. And Mark Cuban and General Manager Donnie Nelson know that. I cannot imagine us making any moves which would cost us a spot in the playoffs. We still have a playoff-caliber team. And even if things absolutely do not work out with Kidd, I cannot imagine that we would drastically make the team younger as long as I’m in Dallas.

After the Olympics, your second dream is winning an NBA title. Can you imagine not doing that with the Mavericks - and maybe not as the go-to guy, but a role player?
Of course it would be more exciting to do it in Dallas and being the franchise player. The best thing would be me carrying the team to the title. But the other teams have gotten so strong, also through some unfair trades - Pau Gasol to Los Angeles and Kevin Garnett to Boston. Maybe I will see if it helps changing teams in like three years. Maybe it won’t be fun any more or I can’t keep up with the athleticism anymore. Maybe I will play in Europe again. I can imagine all of that. What Karl Malone did back then - heading to L.A. after all those years in Utah - yeah it was a little questionable. But when you want the championship so bad, then you can’t rule out a move like that.

Have you talked to other older players what it takes to become a champion?
No. I still believe to this day that we had everything we needed to win the title in 2006. Dwayne Wade just played out of his mind, hit threes and got every whistle. I still think we were the better team.

Maybe that was your only chance …
Well, if it didn’t work for me in the end … I saw an interesting interview with Charles Barkely. He was talking about his career and said he can’t blame himself because he always gave 100 percent. That’s how I see it. I have given my all for the last 10 years in Dallas. And if that’s not enough, I can’t do anything else. Then at 35, 36 - however long I can go - I can retire and say: “In the summer and winter I gave everything I had for my team.” Unfortunately not everybody can win. But I hope that I can still fulfill my dream in the future.

Are you scared at all about missing something else in life while you are chasing the title?
Basketball is still fun for me. I would rather be in the gym than anywhere else. That’s why I can’t set an age limit. If at the end of my contract I see that I’m not having fun, then I will retire. I am in a very good situation that I don’t have to worry about money and have to play until I’m 38 because I don’t have a financial cushion. If basketball ever becomes work - if I say: “I don’t want to practice or play games any more” - then I will quit. I don’t want to wake up one day, drink my coffee and say: “Okay, I’m going to work.” And one day I will have a family. But that is a full-time job. I see that with my sister, who has two kids now. You have to be there every day. And I will not be the kind of dad who says: “Mom, take care of it, I’m leaving.” I want to be involved and be there for the kids. But that’s the plan for the next stage of life. I don’t want to just go to the beach or play golf.

Brickhouse
02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Dirk has been half-assing it since All Star Break. I don't know what's going on, but he wants out is a good guess.

lurker
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
A month ago, I couldn't picture Dirk actually leaving by choice out of stupid loyalty to Cuban. Now I'm not so sure.

monosylab1k
02-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Dirk has been half-assing it since All Star Break. I don't know what's going on, but he wants out is a good guess.

He hasn't even attempted a 3-pointer since the All-Star break. For whatever reason I was thinking about the fact that I hadn't seen him take a 3 in forever, and I just looked up his stats and saw it.

His long range shooting is a huge weapon, and could help spread the floor in itself, maybe force defenses to play him differently......yet he's not even making it an option right now. What the hell?

Ghazi
02-26-2009, 03:00 PM
He needs to get to the line more as well... 14 attempts in 5 games since the break. That's weaksauce.

Ghazi
02-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Our boys in blue's next loss is @ Oklahoma City on Monday

Why:

1. OKC 6-4 in last 10 @ home
2. Mavs 4-9 in last 13 on road
3. Durant @ home > disinterested Dirk on road
4. Our boys in blue will beat the Thunder on Friday, so it's a semi "revenge game"

So let's not freak out when it happens !

Brickhouse
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
When Dirk has fewer shot attempts than Dick Breath halfway into the 4th quarter, you know that he has

1. mailed it in/ no longer "having fun/needs to be rejuvenated" (you saw how he half-assed it the first half of last season and when Kidd came, his play really elevated)
2. injured

sribb43
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Our boys in blue's next loss is @ Oklahoma City on Monday

Why:

1. OKC 6-4 in last 10 @ home
2. Mavs 4-9 in last 13 on road
3. Durant @ home > disinterested Dirk on road
4. Our boys in blue will beat the Thunder on Friday, so it's a semi "revenge game"

So let's not freak out when it happens !

Mavs are now a crappy team on the road, they have lost 9 of their last 13 on the road for a 4-9 record:depressed

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Dirk is a azz hole

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Dirk=overated

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Dallas is the softest team in the nba

Rogue
02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Dirk is a azz hole
Dirk=overated
Dallas is the softest team in the nba

why not put together the three pieces of shit in the same bucket?

dirk4mvp
02-27-2009, 12:50 AM
why not put together the three pieces of shit in the same bucket?

:rollin

ElNono
02-27-2009, 01:31 AM
The best that can happen is that they lose to OKC, and as many games as possible after that. If you really want to see a shakeup, you gotta hope the Mavs battle head to head with Phoenix to miss the playoffs.
I understand it sucks as a fan, but it seems to be the only way to convince upper management to actually do something.

Ghazi
02-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I don't think the FO would stand pat if our boys finished 7th instead of 9th.

A 3rd straight 1st round exit would be alarming.

It made sense to make minor changes after the 67 win season. After all, it WAS a 67 win team that just ran into a bad 1st round matchup

The relative lack of activity this offseason was disappointing though.

still, if our boys in blue sneak into the playoffs and lose a 3rd straight in the 1st round, the FO would be compelled to do something (hopefully) regardless of whether it was that or 9th place.