PDA

View Full Version : OC Register: 9 Obstacles To A Lakers Championship

duncan228
02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
The article is told with pictures, the text is here. I put the link for the slideshow at the end of the article.

9 obstacles to a Lakers championship (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-won-nba-2318029-point-finals)
Each of these teams offers a unique set of problems for the Lakers.
By Janis Carr
The Orange County Register

The Lakers have lost just 10 times this season. Two of those losses were to Orlando, which could spell trouble if they should happen to meet in the NBA Finals. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Well, before the Lakers can begin dreaming of their NBA Finals opponent, they must first win the Western Conference and that won’t necessarily be easy. Plenty of obstacles, long arms and deft scorers lurk beneath them in the standings.

For starters, there’s Tim Duncan and San Antonio, which beat the Lakers by one point this season. The Lakers avenged that loss with a four-point victory.

Other challenges in the postseason could come from New Orleans, which the Lakers seem to struggle against, and Phoenix, that is if Shaquille O’Neal can stay interested down the stretch.

Then it certainly won’t be nicey-nice between Kobe and Shaq.

And that’s just in the West.

9. Houston: The Rockets seem to have found a groove, winning their past five games to move ahead of Portland for fourth in the West. It seems as long as Tracy McGrady (knee) is sidelined, they have a better chance at advancing in playoffs, having gone 16-6 with him on the bench this season.

8. New Orleans: The Hornets always seem to be a stinger in the Lakers’ side and even more so with the addition of James Posey (who remember was a key role player for the Celtics last season). The Hornets already own one victory against the Lakers this season and barely lost the second, 115-111.

7. Phoenix: The Suns are not currently among the top eight teams in the West, one game behind No. 8 Dallas. But with a rejuvenated Shaquille O’Neal, a new coach and a return to their running game, the Suns could challenge the Lakers if they meet in the early rounds. The Suns knocked out the Lakers in the first round in 2006 and ’07.

6. Utah: Carlos Boozer back which means the Jazz is at full strength heading into the stretch run. They currently are 7-1 in February with victories against the NBA’s top tier teams – Lakers, Celtics, Hornets and Mavericks – which means they could be troublesome for the Lakers should they meet again in the playoffs. The Lakers won a second-round series last season, 4-2.

5. San Antonio: The Spurs have health issues at the moment, but that shouldn’t be a problem come playoffs because Tim Duncan (knee) and Manu Ginobili (ankle) should be healthy by April. A healthy Spurs team and a rejuvenated defense is not what the Lakers need, considering Duncan and Co. have given them fits during, not just this regular season, but previous regular and post seasons.

4. Miami: It’s doubtful the Heat has enough weapons to get past Cleveland and Boston, but they do have Dwyane Wade, who dropped 35 points on the Lakers in a December victory. The Heat might not beat the Lakers in a best-of-seven Finals series, but Wade, Michael Beasley and recently acquired Jermaine O’Neal would make it interesting.

3. Cleveland: So far the Cavs haven’t given the Lakers anything to worry about in the regular season. The Lakers have handled LeBron James with ease in the two regular-season games, but James is determined to prove himself in the playoffs, get the Cavs a ring and himself the MVP trophy. Watch out.

2. Orlando: There’s something about Orlando that gives the Lakers fits. Could it be …no, not magic, but All-Star Dwight Howard, who scored a total 43 points and grabbed 22 rebounds in Orlando’s two victories against the Lakers this season . They added Rafer Alston, who gives the Magic additional offensive fire power in Jameer Nelson’s absence.

1. Boston: Can you say Game 6 of the 2008 Finals? The Celtics, who have failed twice against the Lakers in the regular season, will be hanging onto that blowout for momentum should they meet again for the NBA title. The Lakers need Lamar Odom to stay focused this time.

For more teams that pose a challenge to the Lakers’ title hopes, click on photo to the right. (http://www.ocregister.com/photos/lakers-won-nba-2318029-point-finals)

Ghazi
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Quite liberal with the use of "obstacle". Some of those teams (PHX NOLA MIA) are just flat out garbage. Utah played LA close last year but I wouldn't trust Utah to win a game in Staples, but LA can win @ Utah. Rockets can't get outta the 1st round, so they're only an "obstacle" if they're an 8 seed (Lakers in 5). They aren't finding their groove either, people always say that when a team protects its home court 4-5 games in a row. Still a 13-15 road team.

The only obstacle in the West is the Spurs, and history tells us it's not that difficult for the Lakers.

Then All the King's Men in the East. An obstacle the Lakers will be unable to overcome.

sook
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
dumbest list ive ever seen, NOLA, Phoenix...Miami?!?!

jacobdrj
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Orlando is worse with the addition of Rafer, even with the loss of Jameer. And I am not a fan of Jameer as a #1 option either...

Wish Chauncy had signed there last season...

djohn2oo8
02-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Orlando is worse with the addition of Rafer, even with the loss of Jameer....

:lmao:lmao:lmao

02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
i want to see the lakers play the suns in the playoffs. i don't know why, i just do. and i also want either new orleans or the rockets to face them before the conference finals. they should give lakers the most trouble if they can get their shit together. just like how NO gave spurs everything it could handle last season, the lakers should get that treatment this year.

NO can be good... if they revitalize their team. the team is basically the same as last year, just without pargo who was sucked in the playoffs anyways, and the addition of posey, the next robert horry. more experience = better team? just have to avoid a david west implosion.

DrHouse
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
The Lakers aren't a team full of 90 year olds. A 7 game series is not going to wear them out so much they can't compete in the later rounds.

IMHO no contender should even care about a series going 7 games. If you can't handle a deep playoff run you simply aren't a contender.

Ghazi
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Doesn't Horry have 8 rings? How is Posey the next Horry? Posey only has 1 ring.

BUMP
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
i think the Rockets can give them a challenge but i havent seem them play at a contender type level since the end of the 04-05 seaon and they were scary good even though they lost in seven games to Dallas.

BUMP
02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Doesn't Horry have 8 rings? How is Posey the next Horry? Posey only has 1 ring.

he won one in 2006 with Mi.....:oops

i mean he got the Finals before getting ousted by our beloved Dirk and co.

West Coast Spur
02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Really? The Heat? This list is full of fail

Lars
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Miami what the fuck

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
LMAO at Miami even on the list, let alone above the Spurs. Lets add the Thunder since Durant is averaging 35 PPG against LA this season.

monosylab1k
02-26-2009, 01:07 AM
You guys can doubt Miami all you want, but don't be shocked when they make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

I'll say it right now - if Miami plays Orlando or Cleveland in the playoffs, the Heat WILL win either series. Book it.

Now Miami-Boston.....that's another story.

Ghazi
02-26-2009, 01:16 AM
That's a bold ass prediction brother... I could buy Orlando, but the CAVS?! Even the fluke shots and BS whistles that benefited D-Whistle in the Finals couldn't overcome the huge disparities in talent and defense.

monosylab1k
02-26-2009, 01:30 AM
That's a bold ass prediction brother... I could buy Orlando, but the CAVS?! Even the fluke shots and BS whistles that benefited D-Whistle in the Finals couldn't overcome the huge disparities in talent and defense.

I'm far more confident in the Heat beating Cleveland in a 7 game series than Orlando. I'd guarantee anything that a Cavs/Heat playoff series would end with the Heat winning in 6 games.

Mo Williams has choked in damn near every big game they've played this year. And when Mo Williams isn't taking pressure off LeBron, nobody else on that team is. And if LeBron takes over and goes for 50 every night.....it means nothing because the Heat have a guy who can match him point for point.

Also, any team that gives untalented shitbags like Pavlovic & Varejao significant playing time has some very very obvious weaknesses on their team. Pavlovic & Varejao suck so bad that they couldn't even get playing time on the Mavericks.

Chieflion
02-26-2009, 04:38 AM
They might as well add the Clippers, since they beat Boston tonight.

Yorae
02-26-2009, 05:38 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/bc/fullj.f81060e05133d349c66b04a4311625d2/f81060e05133d349c66b04a4311625d2-getty-82990627ab014_celts_clips.jpg

It seems this girl has a lot to do with that win....

ginobili's bald spot
02-26-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm far more confident in the Heat beating Cleveland in a 7 game series than Orlando. I'd guarantee anything that a Cavs/Heat playoff series would end with the Heat winning in 6 games.

Mo Williams has choked in damn near every big game they've played this year. And when Mo Williams isn't taking pressure off LeBron, nobody else on that team is. And if LeBron takes over and goes for 50 every night.....it means nothing because the Heat have a guy who can match him point for point.

Also, any team that gives untalented shitbags like Pavlovic & Varejao significant playing time has some very very obvious weaknesses on their team. Pavlovic & Varejao suck so bad that they couldn't even get playing time on the Mavericks.

Interesting. Well I think they play twice next week so that should give us a better idea if they really match up as well as you think.

KidCongo
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
You guys can doubt Miami all you want, but don't be shocked when they make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

I'll say it right now - if Miami plays Orlando or Cleveland in the playoffs, the Heat WILL win either series. Book it.

Now Miami-Boston.....that's another story.

Delusional. Mi-Fuckin-Ami. WTF is wrong with you.

KidCongo
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Pavlovic is a shitbag, yes, but hes the only big guard and can shoot the 3 decently. Varejao is a niche player who maximises the most of his abilities. He hustles hard, has quick feet on defense (something the other Cavs big don't have), pesters opposition players and fans and is a chemistry/energy guy. He runs the PnR with Bron well and is usually left open as people under estimate his finishing abilties. Hes a good role-players, something the Mavs wish they had.

The Heat playing a rookie PG?, Diawara:lol, no size apart from Jermaine, defense is worse than the Cavs. Have you seen the Cavs homecourt record? Your dreaming.

Rogue
02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Miami what the fuck
:nope it's bad manners to say dirty words :nope

especially for a young boy like you that doesn't even know what it exactly means, though you do it to your mother at times.

MambaJuice2408
02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
regarding orlando, while Dwight is a major problem, it is clear the Jameer Nelson was the X-factor in the games they beat us. Seems like they would be our Kryptonite this season. That won't materialize tho with the loss of Nelson for the season.

JoeTait75
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Cleveland is a hell of a lot more balanced than Miami. D-Wade scored 50 points and they still lost to Orlando by 21. Not to mention the Heat are starting two rookies. Miami would put up a fight but when the rubber meets the road, the Cavaliers would put them away.