PDA

View Full Version : Bowen - Supplanted or Saved?

smrattler
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
It seems to me that Bruce has been able to really put his stamp on this team recently. Check out the stat lines, our defense seems to be rounding back to something we are more used to seeing, the FG% of our opponents has been contained more like we're used to.

How much of this was part of a plan? No, injuries to Manu and TD were not planned, but was Pop holding Bruce back all year with the idea to re-insert him later in the year anyway?

This lets guys like Mason and Bonner and Hill get integrated more since we would need the bench depth. And it saves the legs of our aging defensive ace.

Bruce seemed to slow down in a noticeable way last year. But what if he wasn't starting every game and playing heavy minutes for 82 games? What if we hold him out and send him in for 15-20 mins of TOUGH defense as the playoffs near?

That sounds like a plan.

Pop even mentioned something that hinted this once. I can't remember who he asked Bruce to guard, some PF, much bigger than him... He was able to do this in short spurts because he's a genius defensive mind and FRESH just entering the game!

I think Bowen helps a lot more than we give him credit for. He's always been left on an island to shadow a guy man-to-man. But he seems to be doing more now, dropping off to double team, getting his hands in the pasing lanes (which he didn't do much before), and with fresh legs and less focused on just one guy, I've seen him crash the boards stronger.

Pop was more deliberate with doing this for Horry. I think this is a less obvious version of the same thing. Mason and Bonner and Hill will be needed. But Pop knows we need the defense to be solid and with Bowen out there communicating and working hard for short spurts, the defense might look a lot better here down the stretch.

Maybe Mason and Hill earned minutes, but maybe it just made it easier for Pop to execute this plan. Maybe he wasn't supplanted and moved to the bench as much as he was being saved for the playoffs.

Yorae
02-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Bowen is spurs defense. That's why I alwasy consider him part of the core of the team.

m33p0
02-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Pop sent him to guard Mehmet Okur.

smrattler
02-26-2009, 12:23 AM
I see his role really increasing now down the stretch. I think a lot of people thought he was being phased out. Maybe you can look at it that way a little, he's old. But for this year? I think he's still a big part of our chances. He communicates and gets guys in place and brings the defensive intensity that rubs off on guys. Him and Hill out there are fun to watch.

The guy wasn't a DPoY finalist and all-defense for being one dimensional defender. He makes the defense better in lots of ways, just being out there.

Zzakk's Garage
02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
He hasn't been hitting the corner 3 much this year, so that's probably part of it.
By the middle of the 3rd coach sends Bruce to stop whoever the hot shooter is that night, and it usually works well. Shuts them down.
At the end of close games, BB goes in to make a stop then Mason comes in to hit the clutch shot or free throws.
Brilliant use of our resources.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 12:48 AM
It seems to me that Bruce has been able to really put his stamp on this team recently. Check out the stat lines, our defense seems to be rounding back to something we are more used to seeing, the FG% of our opponents has been contained more like we're used to.

How much of this was part of a plan? No, injuries to Manu and TD were not planned, but was Pop holding Bruce back all year with the idea to re-insert him later in the year anyway?

This lets guys like Mason and Bonner and Hill get integrated more since we would need the bench depth. And it saves the legs of our aging defensive ace.

Bruce seemed to slow down in a noticeable way last year. But what if he wasn't starting every game and playing heavy minutes for 82 games? What if we hold him out and send him in for 15-20 mins of TOUGH defense as the playoffs near?

That sounds like a plan.

Pop even mentioned something that hinted this once. I can't remember who he asked Bruce to guard, some PF, much bigger than him... He was able to do this in short spurts because he's a genius defensive mind and FRESH just entering the game!

I think Bowen helps a lot more than we give him credit for. He's always been left on an island to shadow a guy man-to-man. But he seems to be doing more now, dropping off to double team, getting his hands in the pasing lanes (which he didn't do much before), and with fresh legs and less focused on just one guy, I've seen him crash the boards stronger.

Pop was more deliberate with doing this for Horry. I think this is a less obvious version of the same thing. Mason and Bonner and Hill will be needed. But Pop knows we need the defense to be solid and with Bowen out there communicating and working hard for short spurts, the defense might look a lot better here down the stretch.

Maybe Mason and Hill earned minutes, but maybe it just made it easier for Pop to execute this plan. Maybe he wasn't supplanted and moved to the bench as much as he was being saved for the playoffs.

Good post...very good post. We needed Bowen to get these minutes. Mike Taylor said something interesting on the react tonight. Maybe now that Hill and Mason are comfortable within the team, we can afford to bring them in a little less and let some other guys, like Bowen, get in there more, and get back to our defensive style.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Initially, i thought he was being saved for the later part of the regular season/playoffs - where he would be inserted into the starting lineup over Fin. But the longer it goes on the more i think this is the lineup Pop thinks works best.

Fin struggles coming off the bench, and Mase gives us another guy who can do a little more than just spot up shoot. If Bruce isnt starting come playoff time, he definately should see alot more minutes than he is now. Its a completely different team defensively.

I dont see Pop changing the lineup now.