PDA

View Full Version : Batum or Hill?

Mugen
02-26-2009, 01:06 AM
After watching these two guys play for half a season, who would u pick if we were drafting and both guys were available?

I love georgie but batum would be great to have. He's got just as much length as george but is about 6 inches taller meaning he can guard guys like kobe and lebron.

Basically, the back up point guard or that long 3?

damn, i have to go with batum.

Ditty
02-26-2009, 01:10 AM
it would of been nice to get batum in the 1st round,geroge hill in the second and gist with the other pick and signed hariston to the spurs because i don't think any team of would of gave him a chance

but batum will get stronger he's only 19

we would have mihmmi,batum,parker as our future starting lineup

the 3 french boys haha

Thompson
02-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Hopefully in a few years, with all the extremely talented players the Blazers have, a couple things will happen: they'll have such depth that they won't be able to give all of their developing guys enough time to showcase their skills, and they'll have to start paying them when their rookie contracts run out around the same time (they can't afford all of them). Maybe we can get Batum for a relatively great deal in a few years, he did want to come here after all.

rayray2k8
02-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Batboy had 8 points, 1 rebound and a steal...
Wow... :rolleyes
Dude got lucky off the steal and even more lucky 3 point shot.
You'll forget about him when Gist comes over next year. :lol

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Batum was my favourite guy in the entire draft, so i would still take him. But George has been better than any of us could have expected, especially earlier in the season when he had a larger role.

I would take Batum, even today. But im definately happy with Hill.

scanry
02-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Don't worry, Batum will join the Spurs in the future. He was pissed that he got picked by Houston in the draft. He really wanted to come to the Spurs..

GSH
02-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Their minutes are almost identical, and Hill's numbers are considerably better. But Hill also has a hell of a lot of upside - he will improve steadily over the next couple of seasons.

The first thing is that he will learn how to finish better at the rim. He gets there very well, and he puts up a lot of good shots that just don't quite go. He'll get better at getting those to fall, and that alone will put him up around 10 ppg, with the same bench minutes.

I haven't watched Batum enough to comment about his defensive consistency, but Hill doesn't take a second off on the defensive end. He's already a good defender, and he's getting better. He's smart, and he works his ass off.

Batum is doing well for a rookie. But a solid backup PG is a very nice thing for any team to have. The fact that Pop has given JV's minutes to Hill as a rookie says a lot. We're damned lucky to have him. Not lucky... it was a good pick by the Spurs' FO.

Mugen
02-26-2009, 01:20 AM
I think in 3 years, Hill and Batum will be the top defenders at each of their respective positions.

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Their minutes are almost identical, and Hill's numbers are considerably better. But Hill also has a hell of a lot of upside - he will improve steadily over the next couple of seasons.

The first thing is that he will learn how to finish better at the rim. He gets there very well, and he puts up a lot of good shots that just don't quite go. He'll get better at getting those to fall, and that alone will put him up around 10 ppg, with the same bench minutes.

I haven't watched Batum enough to comment about his defensive consistency, but Hill doesn't take a second off on the defensive end. He's already a good defender, and he's getting better. He's smart, and he works his ass off.

Batum is doing well for a rookie. But a solid backup PG is a very nice thing for any team to have. The fact that Pop has given JV's minutes to Hill as a rookie says a lot. We're damned lucky to have him. Not lucky... it was a good pick by the Spurs' FO.

You have to admit, he made both of his difficult layups last night, except the one that was destroyed by Joel.:depressed

The Truth #6
02-26-2009, 01:29 AM
We could have used Batum way more this year but that doesn't mean he's a better player. However, if Gist shows up next year and can play the 3 then we win both ways.

Austin_Toros
02-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Batum or Hill, Batum or Hill?

DeAndre Jordan.

EricB
02-26-2009, 01:32 AM

DeAndre Jordan.

:rolleyes

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 01:35 AM

DeAndre Jordan.

Jordan could really have added alot, maybe 10 Points and 10 Boards...

The Toros really needed an inside prescence with Ian going down.

Spork KIller
02-26-2009, 02:30 AM
Batboy had 8 points, 1 rebound and a steal...
Wow... :rolleyes
Dude got lucky off the steal and even more lucky 3 point shot.
You'll forget about him when Gist comes over next year. :lol

and how many points did fucking scrub hill have?

Spork KIller
02-26-2009, 02:31 AM
:rolleyes

kill youself fat lips

anakha
02-26-2009, 02:58 AM
So is Louis a Blazers fan now?

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 03:02 AM
I pick Gist!!!

mathbzh
02-26-2009, 03:07 AM
It is very close.
Right now Hill is probably a better player.
But I think I would pick Batum.
I believe he as more upside and could be a borderline All Star in a few years.
He is also more than 2 years younger.

That being said I am very happy with Hill. Batum or Hill, the Spurs scouts did a great job last year.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 03:32 AM
It is very close.
Right now Hill is probably a better player.
But I think I would pick Batum.
I believe he as more upside and could be a borderline All Star in a few years.
He is also more than 2 years younger.

That being said I am very happy with Hill. Batum or Hill, the Spurs scouts did a great job last year.

That 'could be an All-Star because of his potential' is over worked in todays NBA. About half the NBA at some point has been called a potential All-Star because they have shown very small glimpses, and/or have good physical tools.

Right now, as much defensive potential as Batum has, he doesnt really have much else. He has a decent long range shot and he runs the floor well, but in terms of skill - hes a long, long way off.

wisnub
02-26-2009, 03:32 AM
After watching these two guys play for half a season, who would u pick if we were drafting and both guys were available?

I love georgie but batum would be great to have. He's got just as much length as george but is about 6 inches taller meaning he can guard guys like kobe and lebron.

Basically, the back up point guard or that long 3?

damn, i have to go with batum.

I will take Hill..at first I hate him but the more I see him playing,the more i like him. He can slashed in like TP and defense, last game i saw him block shots and really hustle for the ball. He can shot FT and jumper as well...and he is still rookie so plenty time to develop. I havent seen Batum played lots of minutes but so far he is not that great, although if hes in spurs he will do more

Brazil
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
For me it's Batum no hesitation, he is very very young but damn the kid has an incredible potential, he can do everything scoring, defense, passing, rebounding, bloks à la Boris Diaw in better.

Mr. Body
02-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Batum, easily.

urunobili
02-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Chalmers... :devil

GSH
02-26-2009, 08:35 AM
For me it's Batum no hesitation, he is very very young but damn the kid has an incredible potential, he can do everything scoring, defense, passing, rebounding, bloks à la Boris Diaw in better.

You really should look at more than just one game that Batum played against a short-handed Spurs team. Don't forget that Batum is 6'8" and Hill is somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2". They have played almost identical minutes, but:

Hill has scored 348 points vs 289 for Batum
Hill has 127 rebounds vs 155 for Batum
Hill has gone to the line 124 times vs 34 for Batum
Hill 110 assists vs 53 for Batum
Hill has 18 blocks vs 31 for Batum
Hill has 31 steals vs 37 for Batum

Batum is taller, but that is about the only place he has a significant advantage over Hill. I guess we will see how they develop over time, but in terms of production this season, Hill has a big advantage. And even though Batum hit that 3-pointer last night, he is shooting .333 from the 3-P line, which is just barely adequate.

I'll take Hill.

SenorSpur
02-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Both players fill a need and both are young developing players with bright futures. However for me, it definitely Batum. He was my idea of exactly what the Spurs have needed in a SF. He's got great length, versatile, good defender and shotblocker and seems to have more of an emerging offensive game than Bowen did when he was younger. Knowing how badly he wanted to be a Spur also makes favor him even more. We're lucky to have found Hill and he's been better than expected. However if I had my choice, it's Batum.

As someone stated earlier, I hold out out that the Spurs will have a shot at him when his rookie contract expires.

Rogue
02-26-2009, 08:49 AM
spurs could have drafted Batum on the draft night last year, but the rockets sucked worse in the season before and got a pick ahead of spurs' pick. Batum was stolen by the rockets. Scola, Batum... Rockets have fleeced the spurs time after time, otherwise the western conference's champion will still be the spurs.

rayray2k8
02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
and how many points did fucking scrub hill have?

How them rockets doing? :lol

Brazil
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
You really should look at more than just one game that Batum played against a short-handed Spurs team. Don't forget that Batum is 6'8" and Hill is somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2". They have played almost identical minutes, but:

Batum is taller, but that is about the only place he has a significant advantage over Hill. I guess we will see how they develop over time, but in terms of production this season, Hill has a big advantage. And even though Batum hit that 3-pointer last night, he is shooting .333 from the 3-P line, which is just barely adequate.

I'll take Hill.

Right now for sure Hill is more productive, I didn't deny this fact but for me the potential of Batum is superior, he is taller and he is younger. So if I've had to choose I'll take Batum over Hill. By the way as I'm french I'm following a lot of games where there is french player in particular Boris / Batum / Pietrus / Noah.

ajh18
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Regardless of who has more potential, I don't see Batum getting the time on the floor for the Spurs that Hill does this season. Hill has become Parker's primary backup in pretty short order, replacing (thankfully) J.V. While I'd love to see a player like Batum get similar time for us, I don't see Pop playing a rookie like him over Bowen or Finley. If Hairston can't get time over Udoka, Batum might not be able to either. Pop places a lot of value on getting "the system," and I think Batum would primarily ride the pine for us this year.

coyotes_geek
02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Gotta keep in mind that Hill is 22 and Batum is just 18. Those extra years Hill has give him an edge in physical and mental maturity which allow him to come in and make the bigger impact immediately. I think Hill is going to be better over the next 3 or 4 years, but long term Batum has got more upside and will eventually be regarded as the better player. However, seeing as how there are only so many years of Tim Duncan that we have left, thinking short term and going with the guy who can help immediately is probably the smart thing to do.

mathbzh
02-26-2009, 09:22 AM

I'll take Hill.

Looking at Batum stats, you should consider he plays almost exclusively with the starting five and has less opportunities. I don't think we should make an opinion from the stats of Batum and Hill.
Statistically, Hill is not very good to say the least, shooting under 40% is not exactly impressive 5 ap48m is not great for a PG... Thus I still think he is doing fine for a rookie.
I believe the same goes for Batum, both are terrific defenders (for rookies) and can't be properly evaluated from statistics.

That being said, if you want to go with statistics:
Batum's PER: 12.21
Hill's PER: 11.91

I think They are statistically very similar.

mathbzh
02-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Gotta keep in mind that Hill is 22 and Batum is just 18.
Batum is 20

mathbzh
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
That 'could be an All-Star because of his potential' is over worked in todays NBA. About half the NBA at some point has been called a potential All-Star because they have shown very small glimpses, and/or have good physical tools.

Right now, as much defensive potential as Batum has, he doesnt really have much else. He has a decent long range shot and he runs the floor well, but in terms of skill - hes a long, long way off.

I get your point. But Batum is already a productive NBA player.
At worst he will be a good defensive SF who can knock the open 3s and run the floor.

This is not a "potential all-star" who will maybe never be a legit NBA player (like Mahinmi).

coyotes_geek
02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Batum is 20

My bad.

Hill is about 2 1/2 years older than Batum.

mathbzh
02-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Batum looks so young. It is sometime confusing.
In a french interview he was joking about how people can't believe he is the same age as Oden.

coyotes_geek
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Batum looks so young. It is sometime confusing.
In a french interview he was joking about how people can't believe he is the same age as Oden.

You mean they're not father and son???

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Hill has more upside atm....fuck potential if you dont get the minutes to show what u can do....

HILL could start for most lottery teams atm.....

GSH
02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Looking at Batum stats, you should consider he plays almost exclusively with the starting five and has less opportunities. I don't think we should make an opinion from the stats of Batum and Hill.
Statistically, Hill is not very good to say the least, shooting under 40% is not exactly impressive 5 ap48m is not great for a PG... Thus I still think he is doing fine for a rookie.
I believe the same goes for Batum, both are terrific defenders (for rookies) and can't be properly evaluated from statistics.

That being said, if you want to go with statistics:
Batum's PER: 12.21
Hill's PER: 11.91

I think They are statistically very similar.

Look, I agree that Batum is a good young talent. And if he was on the Spurs, we would all be happy to have him.

I happen to be a big believer in one statistic that most fans tend to overlook - Free Throw Attempts per 48 Minutes. Give me a guy who can get himself to the line any day. There is a big difference between being able to score points, and being able to create points. The guy who gets to the line is disruptive. He's the one who can win close games by scoring with the clock stopped. And he opens the floor up for his teammates.

Batum is averaging 1.6 FTA/48 minutes. Hill is averaging 6.1 FTA/48. To put Hill's numbers into perspective, look at some of the other big name rookies:

O.J. Mayo - 4.8
Derrick Rose - 3.9
Mario Chalmers - 3.5
Michael Beasley 5.7

You can see that one of the reasons Hill doesn't finish at the rim all the time is that the other teams are hammering the hell out of him, and sending him to the line instead. He'll get better at finishing, and a lot of those will be opportunities for 3-point plays. He'll also learn a little more patience, and get better at using all that attention he draws to get more assists. (And if Hill were playing with the starting 5, like Batum, his assist average would be about double what it currently is, because those guys would knock down more shots.)

I'm not knocking Batum, just saying that I like Hill and I think he is just getting started.

VI_Massive
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
This is a tough one, but I think I agree with the sentiment that we needed someone NBA-ready now, during the Duncan window, rather than a long-term project like Batum.

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
currently ghill is posting better numbers that beno in his first year here....

we seen what ghill can do with starters minutes, nearly identical numbers as those top rookies in his class

SenorSpur
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
spurs could have drafted Batum on the draft night last year, but the rockets sucked worse in the season before and got a pick ahead of spurs' pick. Batum was stolen by the rockets. Scola, Batum... Rockets have fleeced the spurs time after time, otherwise the western conference's champion will still be the spurs.

The Rockets selected Batum in a prearranged draft deal with Portland. It was actually Portland who masterminded the intent on stealing him away from the Spurs. Credit that prick Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard who, having insight that the Spurs were hot after Batum, set in motion the events to steal him away from the Spurs.

Of course, the deal could've never been pulled off had the Rockets decided not to play ball with Portland.

PDXSpursFan
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Batum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hill. PERIOD.

mathbzh
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
And Hill has played in 40 NBA games and Batum ZERO! Stop hyping this guy like he is the next Duncan.

:huh

tlongII
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
We're very happy with Batum. We almost never run plays for him. Everything he gets on offense he has to work for. We look for him to play defense and I think he does a great job. He's a surprisingly adequate shooter as well. I thought shooting would be his weak spot, but he's shown that he can knock down jumpers. Hill has done a good job for the Spurs by facilitating the offense and playing good defense. He can't shoot jumpers though.

ForeignFan
02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
From the games I have seen from both teams (not that many, but quite a few), I have the impression that Batum is a better defender. But he is no PG, so why compare them? With Hill, the Spurs have a better back-up PG than they have had for years.

PDXSpursFan
02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Because i'm a Spurs fan living in Portland (and thanks to my DVR), I've watched all Spurs and Blazers games this season. IMO, based on what I've seen, Batum is by far more talented than Hill his ceiling is higher than Taysaun Prince.

Brazil
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
because i'm a spurs fan living in portland (and thanks to my dvr), i've watched all spurs and blazers games this season. Imo, based on what i've seen, batum is by far more talented than hill his ceiling is higher than taysaun prince.

+1

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm happy with our decision..

PGs are MUCH more valuable than swingmen of Batums type..you'll be able to find plenty of Batums in the NBA IMO..

SenorSpur
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm happy with our decision..

PGs are MUCH more valuable than swingmen of Batums type..you'll be able to find plenty of Batums in the NBA IMO..

Ordinarily I would agree. However I think it depends upon what you're looking for. For the Spurs, a swingmen that is already a superior defender, has length and can bury open jumpers, are hard to find. Let's face it, these types of players rarely fall to the bottom of the first round, where the Spurs typically draft. In fact, it took a special set of circumstances for him to fall that far.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Ordinarily I would agree. However I think it depends upon what you're looking for. For the Spurs, a swingmen that is already a superior defender, has length and can bury open jumpers, are hard to find. Let's face it, these types of players rarely fall to the bottom of the first round, where the Spurs typically draft. In fact, it took a special set of circumstances for him to fall that far.

sure, Batum is a very nice prospect..but I'm just saying, I think we'd have a better chance at finding a Batum through the draft in future years, or through free agency..

Hill is an athletic PG with huge length, and is already an above average NBA defender..it makes sense for us in the present, AND in the future..

SenorSpur
02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Batum is more unique and skilled that most people think. IMO, the only current NBA player that rivals his skill set is Trevor Ariza. Because that skill set is NOT on the Spurs roster, he also makes sense.

angelbelow
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
really really tough, but i am going to go with hill.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I get your point. But Batum is already a productive NBA player.
At worst he will be a good defensive SF who can knock the open 3s and run the floor.

This is not a "potential all-star" who will maybe never be a legit NBA player (like Mahinmi).

Whats the general consensus in France - whos the better prospect/better player.

Mahinmi or Batum?

TheDarkSide.
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Don't worry, Batum will join the Spurs in the future. He was pissed that he got picked by Houston in the draft. He really wanted to come to the Spurs..

Where'd you hear this? Interesting i'd love him here.

wildbill2u
02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
We have what we have. We didn't get a lottery pick either. Let's move on.

Brazil
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Whats the general consensus in France - whos the better prospect/better player.

Mahinmi or Batum?

Batum !

Mr. Body
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
sure, Batum is a very nice prospect..but I'm just saying, I think we'd have a better chance at finding a Batum through the draft in future years, or through free agency.

Yes, because we've had such luck finding that guy already...

:bang

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 09:09 PM
we haven't needed a SF, we've had the best perimeter defender of this generation..

Mr. Body
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Bowen is eleventy billion years old. Maybe you're too young to remember. The years between Sean and Bowen were a nightmare.

Bruno
02-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't really see the point of this thread since Batum wasn't available for Spurs pick. It isn't a "shoulda" thread.

Mr. Body
02-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't really see the point of this thread since Batum wasn't available for Spurs pick. It isn't a "shoulda" thread.

What's the point of any of these threads?

exstatic
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
1 2 3 4 5

Those are the positional notations in basketball. The rule of thumb is that the hardest to draft and develop are the ones on the ends, the 1s and 5s. That should answer your question. Wing players, SGs and SFs are much more common and findable than any other in b-ball. Hell, just look at Portland's roster with Batum, Outlaw, and Webster. They were probably stupid for not drafting Hill.

Captain Oblivious
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
1 2 3 4 5

Those are the positional notations in basketball. The rule of thumb is that the hardest to draft and develop are the ones on the ends, the 1s and 5s. That should answer your question. Wing players, SGs and SFs are much more common and findable than any other in b-ball. Hell, just look at Portland's roster with Batum, Outlaw, and Webster. They were probably stupid for not drafting Hill.

Bingo! not even close, George Hill. In today's NBA I am tempted to say 1 then 5 then 4, 3, 2.

Mr. Body
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
1 2 3 4 5

You might have noticed we already have an All-Pro at the PG. Name of Tony Parker? Won't be fading for years?

Meanwhile our SF is just about done. You'd rather draft a full-time, lifetime bench player over a starting-caliber SF? Seriously?

exstatic
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM
You might have noticed we already have an All-Pro at the PG. Name of Tony Parker? Won't be fading for years?

Meanwhile our SF is just about done. You'd rather draft a full-time, lifetime bench player over a starting-caliber SF? Seriously?

You'll notice that with our All NBA 5 and our All Star 1, we've been doing just fine with plug in 2s,3s, and 4s, Manu excepted.

I've always been a fan of "best available" drafting, not drafting for "need". Don't you need 12-15 players on your roster at a number of positions? I'd rather go with our current crop of wings than play Jacques Vaughn another minute.

I also don't think Hill will be a "full time life time bench player".

Sage
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know if you guys saw it but last time I saw a documentary about Batum and Ajinca going through the draft process. It was clear that he wanted to be a Spur. He also didn't seem to want to go to the Blazers which he knew were after him. So, I could definitely see him going to the spurs once his contract expires. (You can check on Youtube - it's in French though).

picnroll
02-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Hard cap is going to take care of Batum's availability down the road.

Like Bruno said, Batum wasn't available. You'd have to say though Spurs scouting probably had pegged two of the absolute best available near their pick. Better than some of Body's choices for sure.

Mr. Body
02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Hard cap is going to take care of Batum's availability down the road.

Like Bruno said, Batum wasn't available. You'd have to say though Spurs scouting probably had pegged two of the absolute best available near their pick. Better than some of Body's choices for sure.

Some of my choices were better than the team's.

Last summer my picks were:
1st round - Courtney Lee
2nd round - George Hill

Not bad. Of course, neither was available with those picks, but I recognized their talent. Batum was above either of them, but I didn't figure teams would let him stupidly slip the way they did.

picnroll
02-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Some of my choices were better than the team's.

Last summer my picks were:
1st round - Courtney Lee
2nd round - George Hill

Not bad. Of course, neither was available with those picks, but I recognized their talent. Batum was above either of them, but I didn't figure teams would let him stupidly slip the way they did.
Actually after the Hill pick you pimped Arthur and Grenne

Mr Body - PT - This is the crux of it. They were obviously high on Hill, but whenever you are reaching for a player, there is value to be had in your draft position. Apparently they didn't even try to trade back to get another asset or two while still selecting their back-up 'PG'. Especially with two guys (Greene, Arthur) still there, it is imperative to get more value. Wellk, just like the Rockets did. They got their player, plus Dorsey.

Neither of these guys has produced as much as Hill and both are on lottery bait teams.

mathbzh
02-27-2009, 02:55 AM
1 2 3 4 5

You know, this is why:
- Sam Bowie was drafted before Jordan
- Kwame, Darko, Olowokandi... are some of the top busts in NBA history.

You have two pick the best player available regardless of his position.
So, if you consider Hill and Batum have the same talent, you may have to go with the PG. I pick Batum because I consider he is more talented (of course I may be wrong) not because he is a SF.

mathbzh
02-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Bingo! not even close, George Hill. In today's NBA I am tempted to say 1 then 5 then 4, 3, 2.

Come back when a team built around a PG win something.
NBA is pimping the PG (it probably as something to do with these tiny guys among giants... players with almost the same size than us)

Paul, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan and maybe Howard...
NBA top players covers all the positions.

mathbzh
02-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Whats the general consens)us in France - whos the better prospect/better player.

Mahinmi or Batum?

Batum! not even close

Batum was the leader for the french team (U16 european champion, U18 european champion, bronze medal in U19 World Championship).
Last season Batum was the leader for Le Mans (best scorer, best passer, third rebounder), the best team in the regular season. Now, he also has some valuable NBA experience, has defended (fairly well) Kobe, Lebron, Wade, TMac, Peja...

Batum has more skills, more talent, more experience.
He is just as athletic as Mahinmi.

All Mahinmi has is that he is big and could virtually be a "dominant bigman".

I hope in one year I will have to review my judgment, but right now there is absolutely no debate.

ManuTP9
02-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Batum

Bruno
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Not worth starting a thread but Batum write a kind of blog and he gives some interesting Spurs related infos.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/sportsDet_-Basket.-La-chronique-de-Nicolas-Batum_3638-841339_actu.Htm

Tony Parker scored 39 points with San Antonio on us. A member of the Blazers' staff then tell me: “He is the best PG in the world. ” I answered him: “There is also Chris Paul”. But the question deserves to be asked.

The trade period has ended. in Portland, all the players except Oden, Roy and Przybilla were more or less concerned. I know that San Antonio called for me. But Portland FO immediately hung up. Relating to me, there were advance negotiations with Bobcats. At a moment, I told to myself that I was maybe going there.

So Spurs are still after Batum.
After the "hear problem" trick, that almost worked, Spurs have been unlucky a second time.
Had Martell Webster not been injured for the whole year, Batum would have been in the doghouse and maybe Spurs could have had him at the trade deadline. With Webster out, Batum has played more and has been able to show Portland all his qualities. :depressed

Yuixafun
02-27-2009, 01:35 PM

After the block on JJ Barea GHill got caught up in a muchismo game with him. I like the competiveness but that speaks poorly about his poise.

He got the worse end of it, not running the offense, drawing some silly fouls and letting Barea get under his skin.

In general though Hill does well defensively though.

VI_Massive
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
1. I heard the Blazers said no to many deals near the deadline because teams demanded Batum in exchange. Pritchard obviously loves the kid and with good reason.

2. I don't think Hill will be a career bench player. He can play both the 1 and 2 and will be a great defender against teams' best small players. During the TP-era, hey may not start at the 1 or 2, so he won't be a starter in the technical sense, but he can be a featured, relied-upon cog like Manu.