PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Requires Rest, Not Surgery (And The Newest Spur)

duncan228
02-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Duncan requires rest, not surgery (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_requires_rest_not_surgery.html)
Mike Monroe

The good news from the doctors who examined Spurs All-Star Tim Duncan's sore right knee Wednesday morning: no initials.

No ACL, MCL, PTL, or any other combination of letters typically used to describe a torn ligament or damaged cartilage.

Rather, Duncan has tendonosis in his right quadriceps tendon, a degenerative condition.

Technically, the injury could be described as a minor problem with Duncan's RQT, but the diagnosis requires rest, not surgery. For that, the Spurs are grateful.

“It's none of those letter things,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “He's got (tendonosis), so we'll see how he feels on Friday.”

Asked if Duncan would have been able to suit up had Tuesday's and Wednesday's games been playoff games, Popovich guessed that Duncan would have threatened him with physical harm in an effort to play.

Nothing would have changed Popovich's resolve to prevent it.

“I don't think he would (have played),” Popovich said. “(Tuesday) night, he had no strength in the leg. It didn't loosen up at all, and he wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing, so it would have been detrimental.

“He would have wanted to play. He would have tried to beat me up to play, probably, but it wouldn't have done any good.

“It's not quite as bad (Wednesday). Hopefully, by Friday he'll be in better shape.”

Newest Spur: While the timing suggested otherwise, Duncan's injury had nothing to do with the Spurs' decision to sign forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Mensah-Bonsu, a 6-foot-10 forward who played eight games with the Spurs' Austin Toros team of the NBA D-League, was on his way to San Antonio long before Duncan's knee flare-up happened. He signed a 10-day contract Wednesday morning.

He averaged 26.6 points and 13 rebounds for the Toros.

Mensah-Bonsu was activated for Wednesday's game when Duncan was declared out for the second straight night.

Mensah-Bonsu, 26, said his time in Austin was long enough to gain a rudimentary knowledge of the Spurs' systems. The Spurs own the Toros, and coach Quin Snyder runs most of the same plays and defenses that the Spurs utilize.

“I'm at a great advantage right now,” said Mensah-Bonsu, “because 80 percent of the whole system we use in Austin is the Spurs system. This morning, when we were going over things, it was second nature to me. I knew all the offenses; I knew all the defenses. I was pretty much ahead of the game, which helps this 10-day process.”

The newest Spur played 12 games for the Dallas Mavericks in the 2006-07 season. A native of London, he played college basketball at George Washington in Washington.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Duncan requires rest, not surgery (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_requires_rest_not_surgery.html)
Mike Monroe

The good news from the doctors who examined Spurs All-Star Tim Duncan's sore right knee Wednesday morning: no initials.

No ACL, MCL, PTL, or any other combination of letters typically used to describe a torn ligament or damaged cartilage.

Rather, Duncan has tendonosis in his right quadriceps tendon, a degenerative condition.

Technically, the injury could be described as a minor problem with Duncan's RQT, but the diagnosis requires rest, not surgery. For that, the Spurs are grateful.

“It's none of those letter things,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “He's got (tendonosis), so we'll see how he feels on Friday.”

Asked if Duncan would have been able to suit up had Tuesday's and Wednesday's games been playoff games, Popovich guessed that Duncan would have threatened him with physical harm in an effort to play.

“I don't think he would (have played),” Popovich said. “(Tuesday) night, he had no strength in the leg. It didn't loosen up at all, and he wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing, so it would have been detrimental.

“He would have wanted to play. He would have tried to beat me up to play, probably, but it wouldn't have done any good.

“It's not quite as bad (Wednesday). Hopefully, by Friday he'll be in better shape.”

Newest Spur: While the timing suggested otherwise, Duncan's injury had nothing to do with the Spurs' decision to sign forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Mensah-Bonsu, a 6-foot-10 forward who played eight games with the Spurs' Austin Toros team of the NBA D-League, was on his way to San Antonio long before Duncan's knee flare-up happened. He signed a 10-day contract Wednesday morning.

Mensah-Bonsu was activated for Wednesday's game when Duncan was declared out for the second straight night.

Mensah-Bonsu, 26, said his time in Austin was long enough to gain a rudimentary knowledge of the Spurs' systems. The Spurs own the Toros, and coach Quin Snyder runs most of the same plays and defenses that the Spurs utilize.

“I'm at a great advantage right now,” said Mensah-Bonsu, “because 80 percent of the whole system we use in Austin is the Spurs system. This morning, when we were going over things, it was second nature to me. I knew all the offenses; I knew all the defenses. I was pretty much ahead of the game, which helps this 10-day process.”

The newest Spur played 12 games for the Dallas Mavericks in the 2006-07 season. A native of London, he played college basketball at George Washington in Washington.

Great news about TIMMAY!!
And I love me some Pops...get him some minutes...he's gonna be a bull in a china closet...playing like a bat out of hell.

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Great news about TIMMAY!!
And I love me some Pops...get him some minutes...he's gonna be a bull in a china closet...playing like a bat out of hell.

If he gets half a chance, he'll more than earn an extension, hopefully for the season, and not just 10 more days. How many consecutive 10-days can you sign a player?

Yorae
02-26-2009, 01:44 AM
80 percent of the whole system we use in Austin is the Spurs system

Really? And duncan's gonna be fine!!!!

Rapper
02-26-2009, 01:47 AM
This is such a good news

Thanks, duncan228

wisnub
02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Pops Mensah Bonsu will kick some ass....tearin up that rim and let the league knows Spurs can dunk!!!!!

tp2021
02-26-2009, 01:49 AM
If he gets half a chance, he'll more than earn an extension, hopefully for the season, and not just 10 more days. How many consecutive 10-days can you sign a player?

Just 2.

Spursfan092120

A 10-day contract is just that, a player contract which lasts ten days (or three games, whichever comes later). A team may sign a player to two 10-day contracts in one season (they may or may not be consecutive). After the second 10-day contract, the team can only retain the player by signing him for the remainder of the season. A team can't have more 10-day contracts than they have players on their Inactive List. Ten-day contracts are available to be used starting January 5 (or the first business day thereafter) each season.

From the NBA rulebook. Only 2 10 day contracts, then he has to be signed for the rest of the season..hopefully the Spurs get smart and do this with Pops...guy could be a hell of a find.

Dex
Hopefully this is good news and not just the media pulling strings.

I really, really hope that Duncan is able to play against the Clippers for ya, duncan228.

duncan228
02-26-2009, 01:52 AM
I really, really hope that Duncan is able to play against the Clippers for ya, duncan228.

Thanks Dex. I hope he can play too, but I want him healthy more. We'll see how it goes. :)

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks Dex. I hope he can play too, but I want him healthy more. We'll see how it goes. :)

Yeah..health is the most important issue here...although I agree with Dex. You deserve to see him, man..lol..plus...it'd be kind of nice for him to be playing again..lol

duncan228
02-26-2009, 02:05 AM
You deserve to see him, man..

I don't know about 'deserve', but seeing Duncan play in person has been a dream for a long time. I'm finally going to get to see the Spurs, I hope he can play.

Appreciate the kind thoughts. :)

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't know about 'deserve', but seeing Duncan play in person has been a dream for a long time. I'm finally going to get to see the Spurs, I hope he can play.

Not a problem man. And for the work you do, and the great articles and posts you put on this site, I'd say yes..you definitely deserve to see him. I take it for granted living 30 minutes away from the AT&T Center. I've seen the guy 100 times...and it gets better every time. I'm gonna cross my fingers for ya man...

tp2021
02-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah..health is the most important issue here...although I agree with Dex. You deserve to see him, man..lol..plus...it'd be kind of nice for him to be playing again..lol

Not a problem man. And for the work you do, and the great articles and posts you put on this site, I'd say yes..you definitely deserve to see him. I take it for granted living 30 minutes away from the AT&T Center. I've seen the guy 100 times...and it gets better every time. I'm gonna cross my fingers for ya man...

:lol

Good positive vibes :tu

Russ
02-26-2009, 02:26 AM
“This morning, when we were going over things, it was second nature to me. I knew all the offenses; I knew all the defenses. I was pretty much ahead of the game.”

:lol

Spork KIller
02-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Mike Monroe

Fake injury!

Austin_Toros
02-26-2009, 02:42 AM
it says tendonosis is a degenerative conditions. Let's hope that isn't anything to worry about for the long term.

Yorae
02-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Fake injury!

Wow, for once I really wish what you're saying will come true.

m33p0
02-26-2009, 02:50 AM

i'm sure you'll have a great time. :toast :gpower:flag:

duncan228
02-26-2009, 02:51 AM
it says tendonosis is a degenerative conditions. Let's hope that isn't anything to worry about for the long term.

It sounds like Duncan will have to deal with it from here on.

duncan228
02-26-2009, 02:51 AM
i'm sure you'll have a great time. :toast :gpower:flag:

Thanks. I plan on it.

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 03:07 AM
It sounds like Duncan will have to deal with it from here on.

If all the bad tissue can be regenerated, I think he can get over. I don't think he can get the proper treatment til the summer though.

Yorae
02-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Let's hope the treatment will not be the pallative type.

Biggems
02-26-2009, 03:19 AM
to hell with this 10 day contract BS......just sign him for the remainder of the season and be done with it. If we have to make any roster moves, Vaughn and Udoka are quite expendable.......

urunobili
02-26-2009, 08:36 AM

duncan228...

When you get to see him.. will be 100 times sweeter because of the situation and all the stress/uncertainty you are going through...

I would pay to see your face when TD hits the court for warm ups and when he jumps up for the tip off jump ball :)

we're all really happy for ya :toast

urunobili
02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Pops Mensah Bonsu will kick some ass....tearin up that rim and let the league knows Spurs can dunk!!!!!

Feel the Bonsu!!!

:worthy:

Kobulingam
02-26-2009, 08:41 AM
So Duncan and Garnett have the same issue?

Rogue
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Fake injury!
exactly, the same old trick spurs have been playing for many seasons. you can doubt realities of all the injuries that don't require surgeries, especiall those that took place on contenders like spurs and celtics.

benefactor
02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
FYI....she is a lady. :)

polandprzem
02-26-2009, 09:08 AM
gvmyTZEqlo8

HORNSWOGGLE
02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
exactly, the same old trick spurs have been playing for many seasons. you can doubt realities of all the injuries that don't require surgeries, especiall those that took place on contenders like spurs and celtics.

Either way it didnt make a difference, they still blew out the pathetic Mavs :lol

sribb43
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
isnt this the same injury that Boozer had to start the season..began as a sore knee, then was found in the quad that kept him out for weeks then he proceeded to have surgery?

raspsa
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Pops must have a genius BB IQ or at least one that's way above average considering most other rookies who came from the Toros and struggled mightily when they joined the Spurs. I really hope he's right but seeing is believing.

SenorSpur
02-26-2009, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE

Pops must have a genius BB IQ or at least one that's way above average considering most other rookies who came from the Toros and struggled mightily when they joined the Spurs. I really hope he's right but seeing is believing.[/QUOTE]

It's great to see the Spurs realizing the beneifts of having their standard business model and offensive and defensive strategies in place with their D-League affiliate in Austin. I've been waiting to see just when this would come to fruition and it seems like Pops is the latest beneficiary.

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Hope Pops can prove that against the Cavs.

duncan228
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
duncan228...

When you get to see him.. will be 100 times sweeter because of the situation and all the stress/uncertainty you are going through...

I would pay to see your face when TD hits the court for warm ups and when he jumps up for the tip off jump ball :)

we're all really happy for ya :toast

Thanks. ST is such a special place. I'm thrilled to be able to finally see the Spurs and it makes it even better that I get to share it with all of you. :)

senorglory
02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
What are the chances Pops will see any significant playing time this season? I'd speculate that Pops, if signed for the remainder of the season, will ride pine.

rasho8
02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I remember getting railed for suggesting Pops years ago when he came out. My how times change.

duncan228
02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu returns to NBA with San Antonio Spurs (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/basketball/4840574/Pops-Mensah-Bonsu-returns-to-NBA-with-San-Antonio-Spurs.html)

Pops Mensah-Bonsu - the 6ft 9in Londoner who did so much to help Great Britain to the European Finals later this year - has been given a chance to return to NBA action with the high-flying San Antonio Spurs who look certain to be involved in the play-offs later this season.
By Brendan Gallagher

Mensah Bonsu, who has been blazing a trail recently for the Spurs feeder team the Austin Toros in the NBA D League has signed for the Spurs on a "ten day contract" with a view to obtaining a full contract.

During that period, with Tim Duncan injured, he is likely to get some game time in six or seven games and have a chance to confirm the excellent impression he has made with the Toros where he has been averaging 26 points and 13 rebounds a game. HIs first game will be against the Cleveland Cavalier - and Lebron James - on Friday night.

"I am really comfortable and confident about the move," says Mensah Bonsu, 25, who moved back to the USA at the end of last year after disagreeing with his Spanish team about the treatment of a shoulder injury.

"I've had other offers but the Spurs would be a great move, I know all their offensive moves after my time with the Toros and I feel I can contribute and earn a contract."

NBA regualtions stipulate that a club can offer two "ten day" contracts in mid season before they either have to offer the player involved a full contract or release him.

Upcoming matches against the Cavaliers, Portland, the LA Clippers and the Dallas Mavericks - with whom he played briefly two years ago - and the Washington Wizards give Mensah Bonsu the opportunity to show that he can not just survive but thrive in the NBA.

Despite being drawn in the group of death at the European champions against the liek of Olympic silver medalists Spain and Serbia Mensah-Bonsu is upbeat about how GB will perform in Poland in September.

"We are a pretty talented group, we could have four NBA players on board with Luol Deng, Ben Gordon and Kelenna Azubuike and I think we could be a pretty tough team. We might surprise a few people. We will try and win every game, enjoy ourselves and raise a few eyebrows."

PDXSpursFan
02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I though the Spurs already did that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGz1JCudVMY&NR=1 :lol

CubanMustGo
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu returns to NBA with San Antonio Spurs (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/basketball/4840574/Pops-Mensah-Bonsu-returns-to-NBA-with-San-Antonio-Spurs.html)

Pops Mensah-Bonsu - the 6ft 9in Londoner who did so much to help Great Britain to the European Finals later this year - has been given a chance to return to NBA action with the high-flying San Antonio Spurs who look certain to be involved in the play-offs later this season.

Only a Brit would call SA "high-flying." Kind of like an American trying to come up with anything worthwhile to say about cricket.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks. ST is such a special place. I'm thrilled to be able to finally see the Spurs and it makes it even better that I get to share it with all of you. :)

Hells yeah..when Timmy wins the tipoff I'll be cheering for him..and you...

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I though the Spurs already did that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGz1JCudVMY&NR=1 :lol

lol....edit.
j0LXeO_bk6Q
Throw it DOWN, little man.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
FYI....she is a lady. :)

ooh..I'm sorry...SORRY DUNCAN228!!

:oops

duncan228
02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
ooh..I'm sorry...SORRY DUNCAN228!!

:oops

Don't worry about it, it happens to just about everyone. It might now be some kind of a ST initiation. :lol

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Don't worry about it, it happens to just about everyone. It might now be some kind of a ST initiation. :lol

OK...so I'm officially in...YES! lol...

tomtom
02-26-2009, 06:29 PM

and wear headbands :lol

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPNXwK7Reak&feature=related

Tony dunked here, and didn't look to hard, was this before or after the one where the rim blocked him?

Spork KIller.
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, for once I really wish what you're saying will come true.

Damn it! I was trying to be an ass - I suck at this :depressed