PDA

View Full Version : Is ShaQ obese or just simply EGOistic?

milkyway21
03-09-2005, 12:30 AM
...sorry, i can't help myself from posting this article on ShaQ's weight. I didn't realize his EGO is as BIG as his body :blah

pls read...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3448654

DOES NBA HAVE A WEIGHT PROBLEM, TOO?
...Only four players assessed using the body-mass index (BMI) by The Associated Press made it all the way to the "obese" range, most notably - you guessed it - Miami Heat star Shaquille O'Neal.

his answer:

..."I've read that same formula, but as an athlete, I'm classified as phenomenal :rolleyes ," O'Neal told The AP. "You can look it up."

...O'Neal, ranked among the NBA's 50 greatest players, lost 40 pounds after team management asked him to when he joined the team last summer. He says he now has 13 percent body fat.

...And for those who persist in thinking Shaquille O'Neal is obese, he has a simple message: "You think that, stick to science. Top 50, three rings, lot of money, two mansions."

if you say so ShaQ :smokin

SpursChampsIII
03-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Yes, but what is his AMI (Ass-Mass Index)?

Solid D
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
He says he now has 13 percent body fat.

Where? In his pinky finger?
Maybe he LOST 13 percent of his body fat...I would believe that (maybe).

3rdCoast
03-09-2005, 01:13 AM
yea, shaq is fat, but so is his wallet

milkyway21
03-09-2005, 01:57 AM
yea, shaq is fat, but so is his wallet...one thing is for sure SHAQ doesn't like being called "fat" just like what Kobe did last yr. That's why he brings all his accomplishments in the NBA when he hears things like that. He doesn't have to. He is dominating the league bec. of his size(not of his excellence, sorry), and he does not need to remind us of how fat his wallet is. Except for the diseases(like diabetes), you get when you're fat there's nothing wrong being fat at all..

What's wrong is how he handles his BIG mouth... ShaQ has NO CLASS. All trash talks. :blah

3rdCoast
03-09-2005, 01:59 AM
shaw can be as cocky as he damn well pleases. he is the man, and his wallet is as big as his mouth, thats all that matters in the end

milkyway21
03-09-2005, 02:10 AM
shaw can be as cocky as he damn well pleases. he is the man, and his wallet is as big as his mouth, thats all that matters in the end
hey he's funny, alright :rolleyes

but;

...NOT all of us simple human beings RESPECT people like that.

nzkickass
03-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Shaqs the man.

Plan and simple. Who cares if he's fat or skinny?

He's still the man.

caŽlo
03-09-2005, 02:57 AM
would u rather have a fat shaq center? or a skinny bradley center? :)

Rummpd
03-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Why is Shaq the man? Yawn. He has never won a title without a great player around him and now once again has the luxury of sitting back and watching Wade win games time and time again in the 4th. He has never led the league in major statistical categories. He has limited range, creates an offensive foul on almost all drives to the basket, and his FT shooting continues to be a laughing stock. Remember in his prime, on Dream Team II Robinson deservedly got the major minutes over him in the Olympics et. al.

In my view Shaq is the most over-rated big man in history and cannot hold a candle to the great center triumpherate of Chamberlain, Russell and Kareem and it is highly questionable if he is greater than Robinson and/or Hakeem.

Warlord23
03-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Being kinda harsh, Doc. Shaq is simply using his advantage (a huge frame) to the hilt. If the league starts calling offensive fouls on half his moves, he'd stop making them. But they don't, and Shaq is just playing the way they allow him to.

Anyway what matter in the final analysis is rings and team wins. With this as the criterion, Shaq is definitely the man. I mean, the only person in this era who has had such an impact on the league is Michael Jordan.

I agree that Shaq is not in Wilt's league, but then again Wilt was a super-freak in his era. But I think Shaq is definitely a bigger impact-maker than Russell. Russell got to play on some great teams, and he was a defense-first center. Shaq's offense is something every opposing coach has nightmares about. I mean, they devised hack-a-Shaq because the guy shoots 60% from the field! When was the last time this happened ... the Pistons devised the Jordan Rules.

Shaq vs Kareem is debatable. Kareem was definitely more skilled, more durable. But Shaq is more dominant. You're not even sure throwing a double-team at the guy is gonna work. And if he gets it deep in the low post, it's an automatic dunk. Don't think Kareem had that kind of impact.

I hate Shaq as a person, he gives the impression that he's conceited and lazy. But he's had big-time impact, and that's tough to deny. IMO he's easily top 10 of all time when it comes to having an impact on the game.

BronxCowboy
03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
I gotta agree with Doc here. Shaq is only "the man" because he's the league's baby and they let him get away with murder. He doesn't have a fair (ie, legal) go to move. He's a far inferior player to Wilt, Kareem, russell, and IMO even Hakeem and Robinson. His only advantage over ewing is size for chrissakes.

Extra Stout
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
BMI falls apart when you're dealing with people having anything other than an average build. I remember when I started working out in college -- I put on 30 lbs of muscle and gained 25 lbs overall, but my BMI went from "normal" to "overweight."

Shaq is just freakishly huge, not obese. Karl Malone would be "overweight" as well, as would just about any linebacker in the NFL, even Ray Lewis.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Why is Shaq the man? Yawn. He has never won a title without a great player around him and now once again has the luxury of sitting back and watching Wade win games time and time again in the 4th. He has never led the league in major statistical categories. He has limited range, creates an offensive foul on almost all drives to the basket, and his FT shooting continues to be a laughing stock. Remember in his prime, on Dream Team II Robinson deservedly got the major minutes over him in the Olympics et. al.

In my view Shaq is the most over-rated big man in history and cannot hold a candle to the great center triumpherate of Chamberlain, Russell and Kareem and it is highly questionable if he is greater than Robinson and/or Hakeem.well, Timmy D is the man, and he has never won a championship without a great player by his side, so I wouldn't use that example precisely, but I see what you're saying. LOL

Extra Stout
03-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Shaq sucks. It's just a coincidence that Dwyane Wade immediately took it to the next level when Shaq arrived in Miami, and that guys like Udonis Haslem all of a sudden went from marginal to solid.

It's also a coincidence that Kobe all of a sudden looks pretty ordinary in Shaq's absence.

It's certainly not that Shaq is one of just two guys in the league, the other being Tim Duncan, whose mere presence on the floor makes his teammates better. He's just a big fat butt in the lane and not the best passing big man in the game, and certainly doesn't have the best footwork in the low post.

He's obese! HA HA HA HA

BronxCowboy
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
It's true that BMI doesn't really mean much, because it doesn't take into consideration body fat %. That said, Shaq is clearly not in the condition he was when he played for Orlando. And nobody would think he was "MDP" if half of his offensive fouls or 3-second violations were called. BTW, Extra Stout, I thought that Haslem looked pretty solid last year when he got pt, and if you remember, Wade was already becoming a beast at the end of last year, and IMO, Kobe already looked pretty ordinary when Shaq was still on the team, ie, has never been deserving of all the hype.

boutons
03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
"it doesn't take into consideration body fat %"

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/bmi-means.htm

I was astonished at how much thinner looked at the start of the season, but I think he's backsliding a bit.

He could probably lose 40 lbs now, looking at how he looked when he a Magic-ian.

Rummpd
03-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I stand by my point that Shaq is great but still over-rated.

Don't give me that Kareem was not more dominant = he was. Wilt certainly was in every regard. Russell was more dominant defensively etc.

milkyway21
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I stand by my point that Shaq is great but still over-rated.

Don't give me that Kareem was not more dominant = he was. Wilt certainly was in every regard. Russell was more dominant defensively etc.... :smokin i agree.