PDA

View Full Version : The Mavs don't need to rebuild

SpursDynasty
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I was reading that article on why the Dallas Mavs need to rebuild and so forth. And I kept thinking, rebuild from what? The Lakers of the early 90's took a decade to rebuild into a franchise again after the Magic/Kareem championship era. The Bulls as a franchise have yet to rebuild into contenders after MJ & Co. left town. Even the Houston Rockets haven't fully rebuilt into a contender after Hakeem left.

To say the Mavs need to rebuild is to say that they have actually reached a peak/accomplishment and it's time to start all over again. When did the Mavs ever win a championship? Further, when were they ever EXPECTED to have won a championship? I think Dirk, Howard, Terry, and the rest of the lineup that beat SA in 2006 are at a mental bump in the road right now. I think they sort of feel like failures for not winning the championship, and have just given up on the team ever since the 2006 Finals/2007 Warriors series...but why? To start with, no one ever expected them to actually win the championship..they were never the favorites to win anything. For the entirety of the 2000's, this has been a solid regular season team, with the most wins behind the Spurs this decade. Then, playoffs 2006, they get a couple of shots/calls to go their way at the right time, and win....suddenly, they're penned as the favorites to win the championship and are no longer a team that just wins 56-60 regular season games....but that's what threw this Dallas franchise off in the wrong direction.

The 2006 Mavs, just like the 2002/2003 NJ Nets and the 2004/2008 Lakers, should have just been happy to have made the Finals...because these are all teams that had no business being in the NBA Finals. Instead, when these teams lose in the Finals (like they were supposed to, because they didn't belong there in the first place), they take it as a mental blow instead of being happy that they got there in the first place. For the 2006 Mavs to go into the Finals actually expecting to win the series is a joke. They forgot...they just got shots/calls against the Spurs and faced a Suns team with no Amare. Did they REALLY belong there? No...so why take it as a blow to not win? It's like the Memphis Grizzlies getting a win or two vs. the Spurs in the first round, then dismantling just because they didn't win the series....

To calling it "rebuilding" you need to actually have done something....the Mavs haven't done anything different than they did in the 1999-2003 seasons...win 55-60 games, and appropriately (because this team has never been built to be a championship team, not with Dirk as a leader) lose in the playoffs. Nothing wrong with winning 60 in the regular season, then going home at the right time in the playoffs.

What's funny is that Dirk/Howard/Terry felt they were entitled to a championship. No one is entitled to anything in this league. Then they go and, like sore losers, give up on the team because they weren't good enough to win it 2 years ago.

Again, nothing wrong with being good in the regular season, and then losing in the playoffs, especially if you're not the favorite. I don't know why some players take losses that were supposed to happen, so seriously.

stretch
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
hi jeff

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Good points.

sook
02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Ghazi is doing his best to mimic you but looks like a fucktard.

TwinTowers
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
2004/2008 Lakers, should have just been happy to have made the Finals...because these are all teams that had no business being in the NBA Finals. Instead, when these teams lose in the Finals (like they were supposed to, because they didn't belong there in the first place),

Saying that the lakers 'had no business' in the finals on 04 and 08 is just as stupid as saying the Spurs would have no business in the finals if they happen to win the conference this year. if a team gets to the finals, it just means that they won the games that had to win to get there. Basketball is not about who is more deserving, it's about who does what it takes to win.

Ghazi
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
There is some vague truth to what SpursDynasty said.

First off, the Mavs did indeed deserve the 2006 championship, but were denied due to horseshit biased officiating.

But had they won it, they would've gone down as one of the worst champions ever. I mean, let's think about it here. That team was good defensively, but not great. That team had no low post presence. The best player is an unconventional PF with mediocre defense, the 2nd best player was a tweener jump shooter, and the 3rd best player was a soft mental midget (J-Ho used to do the dirty work, but he's always been a soft mental midget).

So, although we are indeed the true 2006 champions, it wasn't "really" a championship team. Just a very good team that caught some breaks. The Spurs series was a coin flip series that could've gone either way. 6 of the 7 games down to the wire, 2 of them ending in OT. So we won that coin flip. Suns were without Amare, and the Heat were a horrible Finals opponent.

Hence the decline of the Mavs being somewhat exaggerated. Unarguably there has been a decline but the steepness of it indeed is arguable.

wijayas
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
The 2006 Mavs, just like the 2002/2003 NJ Nets and the 2004/2008 Lakers, should have just been happy to have made the Finals...because these are all teams that had no business being in the NBA Finals. Instead, when these teams lose in the Finals (like they were supposed to, because they didn't belong there in the first place), they take it as a mental blow instead of being happy that they got there in the first place. For the 2006 Mavs to go into the Finals actually expecting to win the series is a joke. They forgot...they just got shots/calls against the Spurs and faced a Suns team with no Amare. Did they REALLY belong there? No...so why take it as a blow to not win? It's like the Memphis Grizzlies getting a win or two vs. the Spurs in the first round, then dismantling just because they didn't win the series....

No offense to the Griz. During Pau's playoff dalliances with the Griz, if my memory is correct, the Spurs always swept them in the first round 4-0. 4-0. 4-0.

dirk4mvp
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
No offense to the Griz. During Pau's playoff dalliances with the Griz, if my memory is correct, the Spurs always swept them in the first round 4-0. 4-0. 4-0.

Always? They played them once.

The Troll Whisperer
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
there is some vague truth to what spursdynasty said.

First off, the mavs did indeed deserve the 2006 championship, but were denied due to horseshit biased officiating.

But had they won it, they would've gone down as one of the worst champions ever. I mean, let's think about it here. That team was good defensively, but not great. That team had no low post presence. The best player is an unconventional pf with mediocre defense, the 2nd best player was a tweener jump shooter, and the 3rd best player was a soft mental midget (j-ho used to do the dirty work, but he's always been a soft mental midget).

So, although we are indeed the true 2006 champions, it wasn't "really" a championship team. Just a very good team that caught some breaks. The spurs series was a coin flip series that could've gone either way. 6 of the 7 games down to the wire, 2 of them ending in ot. So we won that coin flip. Suns were without amare, and the heat were a horrible finals opponent.

Hence the decline of the mavs being somewhat exaggerated. Unarguably there has been a decline but the steepness of it indeed is arguable.

tsst!

Austin_Toros
02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
hmm. maybe Dallas don't need to rebuilt after all. Especially after the Kidd for Davis/Kaman trade.... oh. still, there is some hope for Dallas yet.

Kidd for Kaman or whatever the deal was would have helped out Dallas. They were too stupid enough not to see that. If that deal went down they would be no rebuilding talk.

Pelicans78
02-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I agree SD. If you would have told me before last season the Hornets would have finished 56-26, 1st in SW and 2nd in the West, I would have peed in my pants. Even losing in Game 7 to the Spurs would have been no shame. Unfortunately, that Game 7 loss was a huge body blow and took away from what was an unbelievable season. Also, management became greedy this season overpaying James Posey. Now we're so desperate to win, we're benching our last two lottery picks for over-the-hill veterans allowing Hilton and Wright to rot on the bench.

Ghazi
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
hmm. maybe Dallas don't need to rebuilt after all. Especially after the Kidd for Davis/Kaman trade.... oh. still, there is some hope for Dallas yet.

Kidd for Kaman or whatever the deal was would have helped out Dallas. They were too stupid enough not to see that. If that deal went down they would be no rebuilding talk.

Anyone who thinks declining that deal is "stupid" is stupid themselves.

declining two injury prone players with fat contracts is not stupid. You don't make a trade like THAT just to squeak a few more regular season wins. Although some might think it would make us contenders, I don't think so at all.

I'm not sure anything can make us contenders within realistic possibility in the next few years.

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Fuck the dickless mavfuks. They arnt worth a shit

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Fuck dallas

Shank
02-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Not sure how a guy that's been out since before Thanksgiving would help anyone.

Kai
02-27-2009, 04:45 AM
SD, I thought you liked Dallas. In fact, I think this is the first time you've really ever talked shit to Dallas when they aren't playing the Spurs. What happened? Feeling threatened by Ghazi?

Rogue
02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Fuck the dickless mavfuks. They arnt worth a shit
you are well worth a shit.

mavs>spurs2
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Mavs=Chokers

commit suicide you annoying little fuck

djohn2oo8
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
In order to rebuild, something has to be built first. And since the Mavs were always chokers........

monosylab1k
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
In order to rebuild, something has to be built first. And since the Mavs were always chokers........

yeah really. Here's a video of the Mavs choking.

PaYTyqWtFw8

dirk4mvp
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM

PaYTyqWtFw8

I don't know if I've ever seen a non-star player completely own a team in playoff series like JET did. That was some serious rape-age.

sook
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM

PaYTyqWtFw8

o god that was brutal. But now that i look back on our players its amazing how we were still in it. That used to be a 1 man TMAC show, and i thank him a lot for it, he played the best ball of his career that series but when Ryan Bowen + Scrubs are key players in your rotation it is awfully tough.

Alsto you have to remember this is the SAME Dallas team that made it to the finals the next year, they were damn good.

monosylab1k
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Ryan Bowen

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2243/germanator.gif

Ghazi
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I miss those Mavs :(

Ghazi
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh those were the days :(. When beloved Stack had legs, when beloved J-Ho was likeable, when our boys in blue had dribble penetration, when they could hit outside shots, when their offense was a juggernaut.

My heart sinks.

IronMexican
02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
This Jarvis guy is becoming the biggest douche on this site.

manufor3
02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Anyone who thinks declining that deal is "stupid" is stupid themselves.

declining two injury prone players with fat contracts is not stupid. You don't make a trade like THAT just to squeak a few more regular season wins. Although some might think it would make us contenders, I don't think so at all.

I'm not sure anything can make us contenders within realistic possibility in the next few years.

you realize you arent respected around here right?

manufor3
02-27-2009, 05:53 PM

is that ghazi?

Ghazi
02-27-2009, 06:01 PM
is that ghazi?

You realize you aren't respected around here right?

dirk4mvp
02-27-2009, 06:21 PM

Have you seen the garbage him and his tag team partner hornswoggle spewed in the maverick haiku thread?

mavs>spurs2
02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
yeah apparently they didn't like mine. I dont know what was so offensive about calling Spur fans "fat beaners"

IronMexican
02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Have you seen the garbage him and his tag team partner hornswoggle spewed in the maverick haiku thread?

No. But it can't be any worse than the garbage in this thread.