View Full Version : Twitter?

PeterBurns
02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Who here uses it?

What's the pro's/con's

Better than facebook?

JoeChalupa
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
It has been all over the news lately. I saw an interview with the founders yesterday and they aren't even making big bucks yet but I'm sure they will. It showed how members of congress were sending tweets during the President's speech.
I've never tried but I'm always slow to join what is all the rage. I've never had a myspace or facebook and now this? :lmao

InRareForm
02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
lol, i thought facebook and myspace would be the stop factor with communication over the internet.

this tweeter thing is getting a bit too much

tlongII
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I never thought I would, but I use facebook all the time now. It is what it is. A social networking site. Haven't used twitter, but I think I'll check it out.

Richard Cranium
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't have enough friends to need a damn social networking site.

King
02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
It's really nothing like facebook. It's 'microblogging,' so to speak. You're limited to 160 characters, and you just type whatever. What you're doing, one-liners, attach pictures. The only thing it has to do with facebook is that you can set it to update your status. There aren't really any pros or cons to it - it just...is.

I know a lot of the EA fellas have one.

King
02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Also, some interesting athletes have them. Steve Nash, Shaq, Jason Richardson, and Deron Williams all twitter. John Lithgow and Lance Armstrong, as well.

ashbeeigh
02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I use it to communicate with people that I wouldn't otherwise on facebook or myspace. I also use it to publish new blog posts. That was initially why I signed up for it, but I find it strangely addicting. I've started "tweeting" about what I've had for lunch, weird people's names, and what I'm watching on TV.

I'm surprised you don't have one yet PeterBurns, being on the radio and everything. You'd have followers galore.

mookie2001
02-26-2009, 09:31 PM
peter burns uses it to communicate with his boomer sooner best friend

InRareForm
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
online psychology is a new science it seems.

do we really care what my so so friend did at 1:35 today? I dunno about that. :sleep

manufor3
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
its a way to stalk people

jaffies
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Doesn't Spurstalk already have something like this already? http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117402&page=10

Richard Cranium
02-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Doesn't Spurstalk already have something like this already? http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117402&page=10

:lmao

El Jefe
02-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Don't use facebook, so I can't comment on that aspect, but Twitter has some interesting uses.

I actually hardly send many tweets (or any for that matter) but quite a few websites and blogs (Truehoop and Slamonline are two of the big ones for me) will send out links to their updates on twitter, so in some ways it can work as an RSS reader.

In addition some minor celebrities, especially in the tech field, twitter pretty regularly. If you find a few of them that are interesting, you can build what essentially amounts to a more personal RSS feed, with random quips, interesting links, and the occasional "ZOMG, PANCAKES FOR BREAKFAST" message. Not perfect, but interesting enough to check out.

Alex Jones
02-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Why do people feel the need to be in touch with everyone at any time?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Here's the main thing I hate that people don't talk about when it comes to Twitter.

Sure, some (many) people use it for blasting information while seeking very little in return, but Twitter's actually pretty useful for brevity in conversation.

I've used it to make contacts with people across the world who share similar interests and I've been able to have great discussions on various subjects.

In Peter's position, it would be another tool to solicit subject ideas and opinions, while also engaging in conversations rather than only talking or only listening. It's not for everybody, but I think you have to be willing to try it, and while doing so, engage somebody in conversation once you see who's out there.

There are a number of tools to help find subjects being discussed or whomever might be great to engage, and honestly, most people are willing to do so.

JudynTX
02-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I had not heard of Twitter until a friend told me about it. I have no interest in it RIGHT NOW.:lol I don't think it's anyone's business what I'm doing every minute of the day. :wakeup

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't think it's anyone's business what I'm doing every minute of the day. :wakeup

That's just it. If you only talk about what you're doing, what you had for breakfast, when you took a shit, of course one gets tired of seeing that.

For example, last night I posted this screencap of the Rocky Mountain News' Web site (http://twitter.com/joeruiz/status/1257423673) once I got home and immediately got into this conversation (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=joeruiz&to=delatino&ref=&near=&within=15&units=mi&since=&until=&source=&rpp=15).

Click on the second link, then click on "Show Conversation" in the first message to spread it out.

My point is, if you treat it solely as "What are you doing," that's all you'll get in return. Plus, some people think you have to catch up with every single tweet to stay active. It'd be simply impossible to do so. There are ways to catch up with certain people should you want to do so, but if it's important enough, somebody will let you know. You come in when you can, share what you know, engage in conversation and leave when you're done.

JudynTX
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
That's just it. If you only talk about what you're doing, what you had for breakfast, when you took a shit, of course one gets tired of seeing that.

I see your point.

For example, last night I posted this screencap of the Rocky Mountain News' Web site (http://twitter.com/joeruiz/status/1257423673) once I got home and immediately got into this conversation (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=joeruiz&to=delatino&ref=&near=&within=15&units=mi&since=&until=&source=&rpp=15).

Click on the second link, then click on "Show Conversation" in the first message to spread it out.

My point is, if you treat it solely as "What are you doing," that's all you'll get in return. Plus, some people think you have to catch up with every single tweet to stay active. It'd be simply impossible to do so. There are ways to catch up with certain people should you want to do so, but if it's important enough, somebody will let you know. You come in when you can, share what you know, engage in conversation and leave when you're done.

Thx for sharing that. It seems alot of media use it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I see your point.

Thx for sharing that. It seems alot of media use it.

Definitely. A lot of mainstream and non-mainstream media use Twitter for different reasons. I don't like when news orgs use Twitter solely as a blast. If I wanted to know all your stories, I'd sign up for a RSS feed. Don't get me wrong, it works for some people, I just don't want us to get that same label.

We've tried to tailor @ksatnews after @statesman in how we engage with our readers. We get about one news tip per week off our Twitter, while I know Rob at the Statesman gets about 10 per week and 3-5 turn into something (paper or online).

You'd be surprised at the businesses that have built a well-known presence via Twitter. Zappos speaks with its customers, solves issues they may have right away, etc.

JoeChalupa
02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Lately it seems every show is talking about their twitter. I was watching the news this morning and almost everywhere I went I heard "check out our twitter".

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Lately it seems every show is talking about their twitter. I was watching the news this morning and almost everywhere I went I heard "check out our twitter".

I don't get to work with ours as much as I like because I'm working, but our executive producer handles it throughout the day. We've built a nice group of contributing followers that gives us tips, comment on stories, ask questions, etc.

ashbeeigh
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
So is this why the Bucks always beat us? Because they are using twitter during half time?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/95913-villanueva-tweeted-during-game?eref=fromSI

Villanueva tweeted during game

Milwaukee Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva sent a "tweet" during halftime of Sunday's Celtics-Bucks game, an act the PR in Sports blog says could be the first instance of a professional athlete using the increasingly popular Twitter service during a game. Villanueva, whose Twitter ID is "CV31", sent this tweet from the locker room as his Bucks and Celtics were tied at 41: "In da locker room, snuck to post with my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up." His halftime social networking apparently not a distraction, Villanueva scored 11 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter as the Bucks pulled away for the win. For those of you who haven't tried it, Twitter is an online service that allows users to send out 140-character messages to whoever chooses to follow them. Popular athletes who use Twitter include Shaquille O'Neal and Lance Armstrong. As far as I know no Celtics players are currently using Twitter.

Lol.

ploto
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Just another device of the self-important

Spurminator
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
It's good for businesses too because you can search for people who mentioned your product and deal with possible customer service issues directly with the consumer.

Dude
03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
A twerp and asking questions about Twit. :lmao

ashbeeigh
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Just another device of the self-important

yet another comment by Debbie Downer. :td

Kori Ellis
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't have a Myspace or Facebook account, but I do have Linked In and Twitter.

I don't think it's like Facebook at all. However, it's very good for businesses. Pretty much every major company has a Twitter and/or Facebook presence now. I have an account but I don't use it for much other than to distribute my blog feeds ... that's considered bad Twitter form because I don't really sit around chatting to people. However, I have gotten a few magazine writing jobs because of it.

For professional social networking, I prefer Linked In to Facebook/Myspace/Twitter though.

Bender
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
can you find out what someone is saying on twitter if you don't know their ID or whatever?

ashbeeigh
03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
can you find out what someone is saying on twitter if you don't know their ID or whatever?

You can follow whoever you want. For shits and giggles a couple nights ago I searched for "Andy Samberg" and found him He has something like 5,000 followers, has updated four or five times and doesn't follow anyone himself.

There's nothing involved in accepting a follower, they just get your updates. You can block them if you dislike them that much.

pkbpkb81
03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
peter burns uses it to communicate with his boomer sooner best friend

wow i dident know peter and i were that close

i have a myspace and at first it was great all the people i lost contact with after i got married and had kids found me on there, then about a month into it i understood why i stopped talking to them the first time

tlongII
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't have a Myspace or Facebook account, but I do have Linked In and Twitter.

I don't think it's like Facebook at all. However, it's very good for businesses. Pretty much every major company has a Twitter and/or Facebook presence now. I have an account but I don't use it for much other than to distribute my blog feeds ... that's considered bad Twitter form because I don't really sit around chatting to people. However, I have gotten a few magazine writing jobs because of it.

For professional social networking, I prefer Linked In to Facebook/Myspace/Twitter though.

I've never heard of Linked In. Most everyone I know uses Facebook.

Das Texan
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm slowly getting more into Twitter and getting to know how to use the nuances of it.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't use any of those but most of you can understand why.

King
03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Lots of athletes I've found.

Danny Granger, Dwight Howard, Kyle Korver, Sasha Vujacic, Baron Davis, Chris Bosh, Andrew Bogut, Fabricio, Brent Barry, Manu (although his is protected).

mookie2001
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
i heard on espn 1250 that some dude joe ruiz manages twitters and facebook for the local media types

what a populario job

mookie2001
03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
what does manus twitter say

still hurt

still fragile

still hurt again

still on the bench

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.twitter.com/cv31

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3990853

Skiles to Villanueva: No halftime tweets
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- It might be the next big thing in online social networking, but Milwaukee Bucks coach Scott Skiles isn't a big fan of Twitter.

At least not when one of his players is posting from the Bucks' locker room during halftime of a critical game.

Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva got a talking-to from Skiles after the coach learned Villanueva posted a message to his Twitter feed -- a "tweet" -- from his mobile phone during halftime of Sunday's home victory over the Boston Celtics.

"We made a point to Charlie and the team that it's nothing we ever want to happen again," Skiles said after practice Tuesday. "You know, [we] don't want to blow it out of proportion. But anything that gives the impression that we're not serious and focused at all times is not the correct way we want to go about our business."

Using the screen name "CV31" -- Villanueva's initials and jersey number -- Villanueva posted the following message during halftime Sunday:

"In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up."

And he did. Villanueva finished with a team-high 19 points as the Bucks, who are trying desperately to hold on to the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, beat the Celtics 86-77.

MrChug
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
It's basically for the airheads of the world.

I basically broke up with a girl because she'd text me shit during work like "I'm eating cereal"...WHAT THE FK! I hate that shit...if that is the extent of your intellect, I have no interest in you!

"I just went to Subway"
"I love when my friend Jenny laughs"
"I think you're swell"
"I want to go to the zoo"

THAT'S the extent of the depth you'll get on that fuckin site.

King
03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
It's basically for the airheads of the world.

I basically broke up with a girl because she'd text me shit during work like "I'm eating cereal"...WHAT THE FK! I hate that shit...if that is the extent of your intellect, I have no interest in you!

"I just went to Subway"
"I think you're swell"

THAT'S the extent of the depth you'll get on that fuckin site.

Spoken as somebody who's never used it.

ploto
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
yet another comment by Debbie Downer. :td
You really need a life. I say plenty of wonderful things on here. This is just searching the past few days.

Good luck.

Hope she had fun. Glad she is well.

http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/otherchannels/bravo_images/bravo_ident1997a.jpg

It sounds like it was supposed to be casual but started to mean something to you. Maybe you will be more sensitive to that when the shoe is on the other foot in the future. You gain something from every relationship- no matter how brief.

Good luck.

Life is better after 30.

I have always been nice to fans from other teams at the AT&T, and home team fans in other arenas have always had fun with me when I am cheering for the visiting team- whether Spurs or Raptors or Pacers. I have actually met a lot of people that way- family and friends of the opposing team's players. I had the most fun at game 4 in Dallas in 2006- the one that went to OT. As it would be, I was the lone woman sitting in an area of at least 100 men, and they were all Mavericks fans. It is just a game after all, and when it is over you say good game- had fun- and see you again.

You are all in my prayers. Grandparents are a special blessing.

One Christmas Eve, the doctors told us my grandma would not live to see Christmas Day. She lived to see two more of them. Hope it turns out as well for you.

You just get mad when I do not like the same stuff you do. I believe it is the next big thing to make people feel self-important. It started with pagers, then cell phones, text messages, blue tooth, MySpace, Twitter. Most of what most people do with all those things is stupid. I don't have to like everything. Actually, I find it a good sign that I dislike something you like.

Bigzax
03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
i'd only twit for twat.

Mr Roper
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I basically broke up with a girl because she'd text me shit during work like "I'm eating cereal"...

That was my fault I told her to say that while I was eating her pussy!

I think you need to read between the lines.

"I just went to Subway"

Code for she just gave me head.

She had another pussy fart!

"I think you're swell"

She just took another 40 out of your ATM (BTW Thanks :tu )

She plans to meet Manny at the bowling alley later.

Blue Jew
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Lots of athletes I've found.

Danny Granger, Dwight Howard, Kyle Korver, Sasha Vujacic, Baron Davis, Chris Bosh, Andrew Bogut, Fabricio, Brent Barry, Manu (although his is protected).

Stalk much?

Chief
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
i signed up today to check it out, didn't like it much.

facebook is enough.

Last Comic Standing
03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
i signed up today to check it out, didn't like it much.

facebook is enough.

With a face like yours I would stick to the book.

Spurminator
03-17-2009, 11:16 PM
It started with pagers, then cell phones, text messages, blue tooth, MySpace, Twitter. Most of what most people do with all those things is stupid.

What about Internet message boards?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2009, 01:03 AM
It's basically used for tracking the minutiae of what say Twit is thinking/doing at the time... WGAF??? When did we all become so obsessed with what everyone else is doing?

IMHO, the electronic communication age has bred a communication-obsessed society without a filter between brain and keyboard/number pad. There used to be a time when communication had a purpose, now 90% of it is inane twitter...

AlamoSpursFan
03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
There used to be a time when communication had a purpose, now 90% of it is inane twitter...

Hence the name...

:lol

JudynTX
03-18-2009, 08:03 AM
What about Internet message boards?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Hence the name...

Yup, that was the joke... ;)

Frenzy
03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
uh i signed up cause a friend wanted me to join,see what all the fuss about. so instead of a text from her every 5 min under "kimmy" i get a text msg under "@kimmy(40404)"
eh :wakeup

tlongII
03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Yah, the twitter crap is pretty stupid for individuals. I suppose it makes some sense for businesses. It's starting to irritate me that I have friends on facebook that are using it similarly. I really don't want to read about what they're doing every hour of every day.

ashbeeigh
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Yah, the twitter crap is pretty stupid for individuals. I suppose it makes some sense for businesses. It's starting to irritate me that I have friends on facebook that are using it similarly. I really don't want to read about what they're doing every hour of every day.

I agree. There are two different websites. A status update is different then a "tweet."

While I use both I can differentiate between the two. I think my tweet average is like 7.6 a day and I update my "status" like once or twice a week.

Spurminator
03-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Yah, the twitter crap is pretty stupid for individuals. I suppose it makes some sense for businesses.

Without the individuals it's useless for the businesses.

Spur-Addict
03-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Twitter is lame, boring at best. I really don't care about what people do anyways.

InRareForm
03-19-2009, 01:54 AM
twitter sucks.

Bukefal
03-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Twitter is such a bullshit, the only positive thing is if used by athletes, like basketball players who keep you up to date cause as a fan you want to know everything.

But for ordinary people? what the f*ck do i care if someone is drinking his coffee now, or reading his book 10 min. later. Get a life :P

ashbeeigh
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
PN2HAroA12w

IronMexican
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I just got one of these to help jump start my video game selling business. This shit is so hard to use though.

Ginobilly
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I hate all that crap....Myspace/Twitter/Facebook. What happened to the good ole days of face to face human interaction? Texting? I hate texting too! My freakin GF texting me every fuckin 10 mins while at work about random unimportant shit. Just fuckin call me and say all what your going to say in 3 min or less! I guess I'm just old school. :hat

Soul_Patch
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I hate all that crap....Myspace/Twitter/Facebook. What happened to the good ole days of face to face human interaction? Texting? I hate texting too! My freakin GF texting me every fuckin 10 mins while at work about random unimportant shit. Just fuckin call me and say all what your going to say in 3 min or less! I guess I'm just old school. :hat

I completely agree. :toast

Ginobilly
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I completely agree. :toast

What's even funnier is watching my thug illiterate cousin try to text his chick while we're drinking a few brewskis.:lol Cuz how u spell dis? How u spell dat? 20 minutes later........he's still trying to write his message. Me...."Dude, just fuckin call her"!:lmao

I. Hustle
08-05-2013, 12:19 PM
So what are some twitter handles so I can stalk y'all?