PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have Tony Parker or Deron Williams?

InRareForm
02-26-2009, 07:23 PM
hypothetically speaking so it makes the question fair, if deron was accustomed to the spurs system, what player would you rather have on the spurs squad running the show, tony or Deron?

Destro
02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Deron

superbigtime
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Frenchie.

DPG21920
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
That is tough. Deron I feel is a better all around player, but Tony's skill set is almost custom made for the Spurs system. I would say Tony for the Spurs, but Deron for most all other systems.

Go For Tree
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
theres just something about Tony........ Plus hes still banging Eva. I dont know why that matters but it soooooo does..... sodas? :toast

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Mr. Longoria.
Bottom line, Nets 26-32: Spurs 39-17. It's about leading your team (Tony has shown he's a leader), not about scoring a bunch of points. They have very similar stats this year, but Tony has led a hurting team to a great record, while Harris has led a healthy team to 6 games below .500.

DPG21920
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Mr. Longoria.
Bottom line, Nets 26-32: Spurs 39-17. It's about leading your team (Tony has shown he's a leader), not about scoring a bunch of points. They have very similar stats this year, but Tony has led a hurting team to a great record, while Harris has led a healthy team to 6 games below .500.

Is this a joke?

mabrignani
02-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Mr. Longoria.
derron williams not devin harris my man

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
derron williams not devin harris my man
Ooh....lol...guess I read it wrong..my bad..

:oops

Still take Tony. For all the same reasons. Better record, better leader. Maybe it's my opinion, but Tony has a Finals MVP, and has led the Spurs in difficult times and good. I wouldn't trade him for any other PG, including Paul.

InRareForm
02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't trade him for any other PG, including Paul.

I hate CP3 and his annoying cry baby douche bag self, but I would take CP3 over TP ABSOULUTELY

DespЏrado
02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I'll keep the proven finals mvp over Deron any day. Deron has yet to prove that he can be a winner at the nba level. He could just be another marbury or Tim hardaway. Always putting up really respectable numbers but never leading a team to the title. Tony has already done that.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate CP3 and his annoying cry baby douche bag self, but I would take CP3 over TP ABSOULUTELY

I appreciate your opinion. I 100% disagree with it, but I appreciate it.

tomtom
Pretty tough, Deron is a damn good player

Spursfan092120
I'll keep the proven finals mvp over Deron any day. Deron has yet to prove that he can be a winner at the nba level. He could just be another marbury or Tim hardaway. Always putting up really respectable numbers but never leading a team to the title. Tony has already done that.

Egg Zactly.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I would take Deron as well..his size is the key for me..

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 07:47 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2007-06/15/xin_3506041513168702520568.jpg
That is all...Thank you.

Typhoon
02-26-2009, 07:49 PM

mexicanjunior
02-26-2009, 07:50 PM
At this stage, I would take Deron. He has such great size and strength at the PG position, makes for alot of great mismatches. Plus, he is able to defend both 2's, 3's and I think is more capable of running this offense more efficiently. Parker is still great though...

Banzai
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll take both.

jack sommerset
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
This is such a homer question. If you pick Parker you are one

Spurs Brazil
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Tony Parker

CP3 is the only PG playing better than TP this season

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 07:57 PM

Stupid comment. Parker is a playoff proven PG with better career stats and has been very clutch. Besides, his style is exactly perfect with the San Antonio Spurs style. What makes us homers for keeping with the PG that has led us to 3 titles, while getting a Finals MVP in the process, while Deron has led his team to exactly zero?

SequSpur
02-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Fuck yall Parker haters.. get the fuck out of this forum... douche bags.

Thomas82
02-26-2009, 07:59 PM

What he said.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:00 PM
At this stage, I would take Deron. He has such great size and strength at the PG position, makes for alot of great mismatches. Plus, he is able to defend both 2's, 3's and I think is more capable of running this offense more efficiently. Parker is still great though...
While I appreciate your opinion, I'm very confused by the statement. You say Deron is more capable of running this offense more efficiently. The Spurs have one of the hardest offenses in the league, and Deron has never run it. Parker, however, has run it better than any Spurs PG in recent memory, and is definitely in the top 2 PGs this year...either before or right behind CP3. How do you know if Deron would be more capable of running this offense? He's never tried. As a former 1-2 guard in college, different systems change players. Deron may be just average while running SA's offense, you never know.

Brazil
02-26-2009, 08:00 PM
TP no doubt he has 3 rings and 1 finals mvp: he is a proven winner, Deron is a proven damn good player thats a big difference, why taking the risk ? tp is perfect for the spurs.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:01 PM

The haters are alive...and I don't understand why. Without Parker, we're on a major losing streak right now, instead of the winning streak we're on. I'm with ya on this one, Sequ....odd, but I'm with you. lol

DespЏrado
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
If you want to bring CP3 into the equation I have seen two games in the past week where with the game in the line he has driven into traffic, once against a flopping derek Fisher on a 3 on 1, and turned the ball over, losing the games. I love CP3 but he seems to have a bad weakness with finishing in the paint with the game on the line.

Again with Deron, the kid is talented but he hasn't exactly won anything yet.

it's me
02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Is that a question?????

Williams, of course.

Brazil
02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I even think that the spurs will take a risk with CP3 oevr TP, how cp3 will fit in the spurs system? how he will deal with his mvp status when playing with the best PF ever and manu the superstar? Is he enough unselfish and humble to accept playing in this system with a coach like pop?

jack sommerset
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Stupid comment. Parker is a playoff proven PG with better career stats and has been very clutch. Besides, his style is exactly perfect with the San Antonio Spurs style. What makes us homers for keeping with the PG that has led us to 3 titles, while getting a Finals MVP in the process, while Deron has led his team to exactly zero?

Dude. Duncan is what lead YOU (haha, i love that ) to 3 rings. Again you pick Parker u are a freaken homer. Now enjoy this Spew homer thread.

timaios
02-26-2009, 08:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090226

There's a poll at the bottom of the page :
Which point guard is playing the best right now ?

Devin Harris 18%
Tony Parker 36%
Chris Paul 25%
Deron Williams 20%

Total votes : 15169

Brazil
02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Dude. Duncan is what lead YOU (haha, i love that ) to 3 rings. Again you pick Parker u are a freaken homer. Now enjoy this Spew homer thread.

Nobody is forcing you read this thread. I'm sure you would take T-mac over tp anyday

thekingrobert
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
if it aint broke....tony finishes at the rim better than anyone i can think of and he is proven nuff said

DespЏrado
02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
C. Paul Hornets.................... .146 +/- per minute
EFF + 29.33

T. Parker Spurs..................... .140
EFF + 19.04

Deron isn't even in the top 50 so that stat isn't available from what I can see.

What stands out from Deron Williams stat page:
# Ranks #3 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(3.45)
# Ranks #5 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(4.61)
EFF + 21.36

Oh and Utah has a very notorious history of padding assist stats...

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

The envy of having no PG that belongs above the D league is pouring out of you. First off, Duncan was there for 4 rings, so there goes your knowledge on that. Second off, Tony led us to the 2007 title. PERIOD! That's why he was the MVP. If you were sharper than a bag of wet hair, you'd understand that. Go away..please. Tony - 3 titles, one Finals MVP, better stats, even with two other superstars on his team. Deron - No titles, no Finals APPEARANCES, less stats. Let's get real here..please..quit hating.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
C. Paul Hornets.................... .146 +/- per minute
EFF + 29.33

T. Parker Spurs..................... .140
EFF + 19.04

Deron isn't even in the top 50 so that stat isn't available from what I can see.

What stands out from Deron Williams stat page:
# Ranks #3 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(3.45)
# Ranks #5 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(4.61)
EFF + 21.36

Oh and Utah has a very notorious history of padding assist stats...

Thank you for that...seriously. In my opinion, Deron is very overrated. CP3 is great, but I'd still stick with Tony...Don't fix what ain't broke.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
to clarify my statement..if I'm picking somebody for OUR TEAM, I definitely take Tony..but I feel like Deron is the better player, and he causes many more mismatches due to his size..

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090226

There's a poll at the bottom of the page :
Which point guard is playing the best right now ?

Devin Harris 18%
Tony Parker 36%
Chris Paul 25%
Deron Williams 20%

Total votes : 15169

Nice...and that's an obvious one IMO

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
you're just looking at 1 stat..

I'm not going to argue against Tony, since that's stupid, since he's on my team..but Deron has plenty of stats in his favor this season too..

MateoNeygro
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Tony for many reasons. Fuck hypothetically thinking. Tony is a 3 time champion, 3 time all-star, Nba Finals MVP etc etc....He is just a great player. I love derron Williams too though, lot of respect for that guy.

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
The envy of having no PG that belongs above the D league is pouring out of you. First off, Duncan was there for 4 rings, so there goes your knowledge on that. Second off, Tony led us to the 2007 title. PERIOD! That's why he was the MVP. If you were sharper than a bag of wet hair, you'd understand that. Go away..please. Tony - 3 titles, one Finals MVP, better stats, even with two other superstars on his team. Deron - No titles, no Finals APPEARANCES, less stats. Let's get real here..please..quit hating.

hahahahah drop the crack man

without duncan, the spurs wouldnt even be sniffing out of the first round or suns....tony parker vs gibson we all know who was going to exploit that matchup.

give me deron williams, cp3 or even derick rose....

Brazil
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Since the beginning of the season I've always said 1) cp3 2) DW and 3) TP but since Jan I really thing that tp is now number 2

Biggems
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
if the known is a winner, give me the known anyday over the unknown.....we know what Tony gives the Spurs. There is no guarantee that Williams would give us that level of play.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM

without duncan, the spurs wouldnt even be sniffing out of the first round or suns....tony parker vs gibson we all know who was going to exploit that matchup.

You have lost your ever loving mind. Yeah..let's take a rookie over a proven vet...yet another insane statement comes out of your mouth..lol

baseline bum
02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Pretty hard to pick anyone else the way Tony has carried this team on his back these last two games... definitely Parker.

baseline bum
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
You have lost your ever loving mind. Yeah..let's take a rookie over a proven vet...yet another insane statement comes out of your mouth..lol

It seems so weird calling a 26 year-old player a vet. It's the best of both worlds with TP: young legs and veteran leadership.

E20
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Parker IMO, by far.

Parker has proved he can probably the number 1 scorer in the NBA if he is the main focus. It was basically the San Antonio Parkers and w/o Duncan and Manu the Spurs are mediocre at best, but Tony makes them a playoff team.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
It seems so weird calling a 26 year-old player a vet. It's the best of both worlds with TP: young legs and veteran leadership.

I know...mind blowing. But that's exactly what he is. We're lucky to have him.

MateoNeygro
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Seriously?????

MateoNeygro
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Parker IMO, by far.

Parker has proved he can probably the number 1 scorer in the NBA if he is the main focus. It was basically the San Antonio Parkers and w/o Duncan and Manu the Spurs are mediocre at best, but Tony makes them a playoff team.

Whoa whoa calm down big shot. Put down the crack pipe and think before speakaing.

MateoNeygro
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Whoa whoa calm down big shot. Put down the crack pipe and think before speakaing.

Just kidding about the crack pipe statement but really that's not true.

E20
02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Don't know what's so outlandish about my statement. :wtf

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Seriously?????

I don't understand it. Is TDMVPDPOY a bandwagon fan? no..couldn't be..because we're winning. Is he hating on one of the main reasons we've won 3 titles? I'm confused...my head is going to explode. I know the guy's half stupid..I've read a lot of his comments...but hatin on Tony after the way he's played lately? Pure treason.

DPG21920
02-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Tony is perfect for the Spurs. Seriously, it is like they custom created a pg for this team (oh wait, they did)

jack sommerset
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Dumbass I don't have a favorite team. WTF are you babbling about? STFU!

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't understand it. Is TDMVPDPOY a bandwagon fan? no..couldn't be..because we're winning. Is he hating on one of the main reasons we've won 3 titles? I'm confused...my head is going to explode. I know the guy's half stupid..I've read a lot of his comments...but hatin on Tony after the way he's played lately? Pure treason.

dude you make it sound like tp is the reason why we got there or win in the first place....replace either one player ginoboli or parker with any top swingman or pg in the league and the spurs would still win a ring....reason being tim duncan is the anchor for everything, either defense or offense.

replace any top pgs in the league the same year in place of tp and we still win a ring during those years....exclude JKIDD who i think is overrated than steve nash.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
dude you make it sound like tp is the reason why we got there or win in the first place....replace either one player ginoboli or parker with any top swingman or pg in the league and the spurs would still win a ring....reason being tim duncan is the anchor for everything, either defense or offense.

replace any top pgs in the league the same year in place of tp and we still win a ring during those years....exclude JKIDD who i think is overrated than steve nash.

You're still insane. No freaking way I'd take any PG over TP..including Paul..he's perfect for this team. And Manu has been our spark. You can't just plug any piece into a team and make it a championship team. If you ever played basketball, you'd know that. It takes a mixture of style, personality, ability to change things about yourself to help the team...it takes more than just.."hey...this guy is pretty good..he'll be good for the team." Knowledge = Power my friend...learn it.

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2009, 09:04 PM
You're still insane. No freaking way I'd take any PG over TP..including Paul..he's perfect for this team. And Manu has been our spark. You can't just plug any piece into a team and make it a championship team. If you ever played basketball, you'd know that. It takes a mixture of style, personality, ability to change things about yourself to help the team...it takes more than just.."hey...this guy is pretty good..he'll be good for the team." Knowledge = Power my friend...learn it.

so your telling me either of these combinations wont win a ring?
td+gino+deron 06/07
td+gino+cp3 07/08
td+gino+nash 04/05-06/07

offensive structure will be different with these pgs running the system, but you will see it more team orientated.

BlackSwordsMan
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
jason kidd

nadroj117
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM

I agree with you on the fact I think i'd rather have tony, but because we know how he fits into the system. Deron Williams is younger and a great ball player who is not playing next to duncan. Parker didn't win 3 titles alone, so throwing around the 3 titles isn't fair. And to say that Tony LED us to a championship in 2007 is as far from the truth as can be. Tim was the MVP of the playoffs... parker was the finals mvp, parker could have sat and we beat that cavs team in 5. Unfortunately there is a FINALS MVP, and not a playoff MVP

Captain Oblivious
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Deron Williams is a good player but has not yet made it to the conference finals and seems to have a lot of injuries (this year in particular). Tony has been there 3 times and was the finals MVP once. Deron has not made it back to the level he was played at for the last couple of years. If you go on body of work it is no contest. Tony Parker...

ducks
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
tp by far

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Dumbass I don't have a favorite team. WTF are you babbling about? STFU!

Um...you have the Rockets as your team. A normal human being would assume that's your team...watch the personal insults, douchebag...lol. And I'm sorry..your idiocy makes you deserve anything that is said to you. How stupid can you be, thinking that saying an all star veteran PG who has won 3 titles and has been the Finals MVP is not better than one who has nothing. Idiot.

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with you on the fact I think i'd rather have tony, but because we know how he fits into the system. Deron Williams is younger and a great ball player who is not playing next to duncan. Parker didn't win 3 titles alone, so throwing around the 3 titles isn't fair. And to say that Tony LED us to a championship in 2007 is as far from the truth as can be. Tim was the MVP of the playoffs... parker was the finals mvp, parker could have sat and we beat that cavs team in 5. Unfortunately there is a FINALS MVP, and not a playoff MVP

Exactly...he fits perfectly into the system. And it's true...Tim led us through the playoffs, and Tony led us in the Finals..but that's what I was saying to the other guy...Tony was the guy in the Finals...and Deron hasn't even been there.

Agloco
02-26-2009, 10:59 PM

I beg to differ....

Tony hasn't led shit. This is Timmy's team.

Tony has Timmy.......Deron has Boozer.......:wow:wow

Agloco
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Exactly...he fits perfectly into the system. And it's true...Tim led us through the playoffs, and Tony led us in the Finals..but that's what I was saying to the other guy...Tony was the guy in the Finals...and Deron hasn't even been there.

Are you saying that Tony would have lead Utah to a title already if he and Deron switched teams? It's really the only way you can argue that Tony is better than him.

The players beside each of them them don't even begin to compare.

Agloco
02-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Deron Williams is a good player but has not yet made it to the conference finals and seems to have a lot of injuries (this year in particular). Tony has been there 3 times and was the finals MVP once. Deron has not made it back to the level he was played at for the last couple of years. If you go on body of work it is no contest. Tony Parker...

Who did the Spurs beat in the WCF in 2007?

Your name is quite accurate.......

Agloco
02-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Seriously?????

Seriously....... to the part in red only......

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Are you saying that Tony would have lead Utah to a title if he and Deron switched teams? It's really the only way you can argue that Tony is better than him.

The players beside each of them them don't even begin to compare.

No...that's not what I'm saying. Read my posts. What I've said is that I would pick Tony because Tony fits perfectly into our system. No offense to Deron, at all. And if you DID read this thread before arguing, you would have noticed that the reason I even said anything is because the guy said the only reason anyone would say they would pick Tony over Deron is because they're a homer. Stupid comment, so I argued it.

mabrignani
02-26-2009, 11:22 PM
im sure one of the moderators would take derron williams bc tony has a c- grade hahahaha

raspsa
02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Williams and only because I'm biased towards playmaking PGs w/c Deron is. He's also a very capable scorer He's bigger and stronger He'd fit well with the Spurs.

Parker is a scoring PG. He can be a playmaker but that's not his primary focus. Obviously he's a great fit for the Spurs

Manufan909
02-26-2009, 11:27 PM
hypothetically speaking so it makes the question fair, if deron was accustomed to the spurs system, what player would you rather have on the spurs squad running the show, tony or Deron?

Closet Jazz fan.

MarHill
02-26-2009, 11:32 PM

For the first time...I agree with Sequ Spur!

TP gets no love...it's absolutely amazing!!

:bang

ducks
02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Williams and only because I'm biased towards playmaking PGs w/c Deron is. He's also a very capable scorer He's bigger and stronger He'd fit well with the Spurs.

Parker is a scoring PG. He can be a playmaker but that's not his primary focus. Obviously he's a great fit for the Spurs

if tp was in utah he would average more assist then williams

Yorae
02-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I like speed.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM

TP no doubt he has 3 rings and 1 finals mvp: he is a proven winner, Deron is a proven damn good player thats a big difference, why taking the risk ? tp is perfect for the spurs.

I couldnt help but pick these out and Lol at them. First, Parker has the modern games greatest winner and best PF of all time, and a top 3 closer, and one of the leagues best players in Manu.

Deron, has a notorious choker in Carlos Boozer as his side kick, and a bunch of good role players.

Saying TP>Deron because TP has a Finals MVP and 'lead' his team to a championship has HOMER written all over it.

Having said that, i think its too close to call between the two, i dont think i would swap TP and Deron on the Spurs, id keep Parker. But if i were starting a franchise from scratch, i would take Deron over Tony, i think he has a little bit more to his game.

But like i said, i wouldnt swap Tony with Deron.

Agloco
02-26-2009, 11:36 PM
No...that's not what I'm saying. Read my posts. What I've said is that I would pick Tony because Tony fits perfectly into our system. No offense to Deron, at all. And if you DID read this thread before arguing, you would have noticed that the reason I even said anything is because the guy said the only reason anyone would say they would pick Tony over Deron is because they're a homer. Stupid comment, so I argued it.

I did, and this is what you said:

So my response was ask you if you think Tony would have fared any better if he was in Deron's shoes. Do you think Tony would have won a title in Utah alongside AK47 and C-Booz? I noticed you conveniently ducked the question.....

A simple yes or no will suffice.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Its just a topic of discussion, just because people say Deron > Parker doesnt mean they are hating on Parker.

TP is unbelievable, one of the best players in the league, probably playing THE BEST right now. But Deron has had stretches like this, and hes a pretty damn good player himself.

Nothing wrong with saying Deron > Parker, or vice versa.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
I did, and this is what you said:

So my response was ask you if you think Tony would have fared any better if he was in Deron's shoes. Do you think Tony would have won a title in Utah alongside AK47 and C-Booz? I noticed you conveniently ducked the question.....

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Ill answer it for you,

No.

MarHill
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Its just a topic of discussion, just because people say Deron > Parker doesnt mean they are hating on Parker.

TP is unbelievable, one of the best players in the league, probably playing THE BEST right now. But Deron has had stretches like this, and hes a pretty damn good player himself.

Nothing wrong with saying Deron > Parker, or vice versa.

Maybe so....

I just think there shouldn't be any question with him. I like Deron Williams a lot...but TP has worked perfectly for the Spurs and he has developed over the years.

There shouldn't be any discussion!!

It still seems like it's a backhanded compliment....Oh well I guess people will never be satisfied.:wow

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-26-2009, 11:44 PM

Very stupid comment! Said it without reasoning point. Just want to frustate other posters. No respect for the topic.

For me, it's still Tony Parker. He has proved it what he can do in the playoffs and final. Especially in the past few years. I also think his attitude blends well with Tim, Manu, teammates, and very important with Pop. He competitive and trainable. His goal is also about winning rather than money. Well, this is my opinion atleast.

smrattler
02-26-2009, 11:48 PM
I would take TP over Paul for our team.

But Deron? I don't know, that's a toss up.

I like Tony though, so, go Frenchie (but down with the rest of the French)!!!!

Rogue
02-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Deron
agreed. Parker is a good player and did two perfect jobs in the past two games, but he's still far from a superstar caliber PG like Deron. with fancinating moves and cute shooting skills, deron always makes the biggest threat to his opponent team. Jazz played over half of the season without Boozer and Okur also missed plenty of games this season, Deron is the only answer to the question why the Jazz is still staying afloat in the tough west.

Parker played two big games recently, but I bet Duncan will have to come back in 2 or 3 games when Parker starts to suck. in rushing a fast break with flashing speed, tony parker is pretty effective and always good enough to score nearly 40pts. but the games always run out of tony's control when they lie into half-court offense.

mystargtr34
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TP is as much a superstar caliber PG as Deron is.

Spurtacus
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Tony Parker.

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Tony for many reasons. Fuck hypothetically thinking. Tony is a 3 time champion, 3 time all-star, Nba Finals MVP etc etc....He is just a great player. I love derron Williams too though, lot of respect for that guy.

Agree. After Tp, I think I will take Williams. What seperate these two is their attitudes. Tony does not blame teammates. I remember there was one year (I think 2007 when the Jazz lost to the Spurs in the Western Final), Deron Williams blamed teammates for the loss. I have never seen Tp blame anybody when the Spurs lost in the playoffs.

DPG21920
02-26-2009, 11:54 PM

Having a debate about two great players does not mean that people do not like TP. I hate how many people associate any thing that is not direct praise with "no love".

Obviously TP is a fantastic player and vital to the Spurs success. But it is not an insult to pose a question about him compared to another talented point guard.

Would you be offended if someone asked who would you rather have, Wade or Manu?

SAhoops
02-27-2009, 12:03 AM
TP! Hands Down!

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM

I don't smoke I don't dirnk and I still think of Tony over Deron. The reason is with him, we have won 3 championships and each time when we didn't win, we were almost there. I don't know if we had Deron! We might have won more or maybe none. Nobody can prove that. But I will go with what I have seen. It's more logical.

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Tony all the way. Deron is more a scorer than team leader.:lobt:

spursbsktball73
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Thai is on crack.... Cp3 williams rose??? What a joke. Do u know b ball. How many rings do yhey have all together u moron?? None!!!!!!!!! He was the finals m v p.

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-27-2009, 12:17 AM
so your telling me either of these combinations wont win a ring?
td+gino+deron 06/07
td+gino+cp3 07/08
td+gino+nash 04/05-06/07

offensive structure will be different with these pgs running the system, but you will see it more team orientated.

Td is the main core, Manu is a spark without ego, Nash is a good passer. This combo, we might have won... maybe. But I still think Tony is a better defender than Nash. So, Tony is still over Nash in my opinion.

For Cp3 and Deron, I have less confidence. I think both of them have a mentality of wanting to be the leader (I mean want to be the main core) which we already have in Td.

Again, for the Spurs, I think Tony fits best for the system and chemistry.

Pelicans78
02-27-2009, 12:26 AM
CP3>TP>D-Will

It's a fact. Williams maybe physically gifted, but Parker has better instincts and his speed makes him so dangerous on the floor. Even though Williams is thought to be the superior outside shooter, Parker always shoots a higher FG%.

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Thai is on crack.... Cp3 williams rose??? What a joke. Do u know b ball. How many rings do yhey have all together u moron?? None!!!!!!!!! He was the finals m v p.

I don't smoke and I don't drink. I do know B Ball. I post my opinion carefully. Maybe I might struggle a little bit when I say something because English is not my first language. But look at the post carefully. You responded to my post where I responded to TDMVPDPOY. I did not say in that post that I would go with Cp3 williams rose. For me, TP is our man. Now who is a moron... be more respectful for other please.

raspsa
02-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Agree. After Tp, I think I will take Williams. What seperate these two is their attitudes. Tony does not blame teammates. I remember there was one year (I think 2007 when the Jazz lost to the Spurs in the Western Final), Deron Williams blamed teammates for the loss. I have never seen Tp blame anybody when the Spurs lost in the playoffs.

I think Deron was justified in that instance.. was it Kirilenko who was reported to have confirmed his vacation plans even while the series was ongoing.. what kind of message was he sending to his team.. and if I recall right, Deron was playing with a badly swollen ankle at the time..

raspsa
02-27-2009, 12:57 AM

Agreed. I just seem to get the impression that Parker goes thru more extreme highs (like the past few games) and lows (like the slump preceding the last several games) than Deron does.. I really don't follow Deron's games that much but somehow I think that he may be a bit more consistent than parker.

ThaiFanofSpurs
02-27-2009, 01:07 AM
I think Deron was justified in that instance.. was it Kirilenko who was reported to have confirmed his vacation plans even while the series was ongoing.. what kind of message was he sending to his team.. and if I recall right, Deron was playing with a badly swollen ankle at the time..

Yes, I remember now. I felt sorry for Williams.

Anyway, I still take Tp over Williams. It looks like Williams is more consistent than Tp but it's still in the regular season. I think Tp always plays a step higher in the playoffs.

dav4463
02-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Tony Parker has that intangible something that leads to championships. He fits perfectly in the Spurs system. He was strong enough to take criticism, learn from mistakes, play well facing trade rumors. He improves himself every year by working harder than the other guys. Deron Williams is good, but so is Parker and Parker fits perfectly here.

Old School 44
02-27-2009, 01:49 AM

+1

I just don't think Tony has had the same opportunity to show it because he has played on better teams. I also believe Tony could have just as many assist as Deron and Chris, if he were in their systems and was more the focal point. Tony's assists are lower in comparison because of the way the Spurs play. Many of his drives and kicks result in a second pass leading to a basket. Where Deron, Chris, and even Steve Nash have the ball in their hands longer in each possession.

mystargtr34
02-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Some really comical arguments... keep them coming.

WalterBenitez
02-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Tony Parker, why should we have doubts about it?

peskypesky
02-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Deron is a better all-around classic PG, but as Brazil said, TP is a proven winner with a Finals MVP, so I'll stick with him.

mathbzh
02-27-2009, 02:45 AM
They have almost the same level, but Parker game is exactly what the Spurs need.
I keep Parker.

raspsa
02-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Coke or Pepsi .. take your pick.

anakha
02-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Even without Boozer, I'd say Williams has had more talent around him for most of the season than Parker has the past two games. That factor should be considered as well.

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2009, 04:07 AM
so do you guys think parker will make all-nba first team?

mathbzh
02-27-2009, 04:10 AM
No... Chris Paul

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2009, 04:18 AM
No... Chris Paul

how about second team? i think he should have that locked up since deron has missed more games than him, and with nashs team record they are shit if they force a huge turn around...

50days left to playoffs....

anakha
02-27-2009, 05:05 AM
how about second team? i think he should have that locked up since deron has missed more games than him, and with nashs team record they are shit if they force a huge turn around...

50days left to playoffs....

All-NBA doesn't necessarily dictate that a PG and SG MUST fill up both guard slots. It could just as easily be 2 SGs on the first or second teams.

mathbzh
02-27-2009, 05:10 AM
For first team SG is Kobe. For second teams I think it will be Wade.
Second team PG (or other SG) is more open. Maybe Tony has a shot.
That would be great for him.

Rapper
02-27-2009, 05:32 AM
definitely DW

ForeignFan
02-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Parker (for the Spurs)

KoNGo
02-27-2009, 07:00 AM
For the Spurs, I'd pick Parker over Williams, although not over CP.

To me, Parker's speed and ability to finish around the rim make the difference. In the Spurs offensive scheme, TD sucks in defenders and kicks it out to shooters spaced around the wing. The other option is the high pick and roll with TP coming off a screen from a big man.

We need someone who can consistently get points in the paint so it keeps defenders honest and guessing. I don't think Williams get into the paint as easily as Parker can. Williams is deceptively fast and has the size to bruise into guys, sure, but Parker can find a seam a rip through with speed.

Also, we don't have a lot of athletic wings or big men (Hill is athletic, but doesn't play often enough with Tony). Athletic wings could run the lanes on a fast break and finish off a pass from a running PG. How many times have we seen Bowen, Mason, or Finley run with TP, only to not be able to finish strong in the paint, or dribble back out set up the half court offense?

But TP is great for the Spurs because he's literally a one man fast break. He doesn't need athletic wings running with him - his speed is fast enough to take 2, sometimes 3, backpedaling defenders.

As for our bigs, we don't have Tyson Chandlers and Amare Stoudamires who TP can just lob it to for a dunk. So the way we score is having TP penetrate and use pure speed to keep defenders honest, instead of really worrying about the lob pass.

In the Spurs system, I'd take TP over Williams.

(On a side note, I take CP3 over TP, because of his ability to get any shot, get into the middle consistantly, be a one man fast break OR lead a break, and he truly is a better passer than TP in ANY system - and that's not really up for debate. And I'm a HUGE Spurs homer.)

hater
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
The way Tony is playing it's just stupid to say Deron.

I Love Me Some Me
02-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Deron Williams does not have the luxury of playing with Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.