PDA

View Full Version : what did you guys think of our defensive strategy?

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I liked it a lot in the Mavs and Blazer games..the main thing being the way we swarmed their star players immediately once they made a move..

Dirk was being doubled immediately, probably since he had favorable matchups..Roy wasn't doubled immediately, since we wanted him to take Js..but he was doubled immediately once he made any type of move to the basket, forcing others to beat us..

a lot of help and swarming on their star players, especially when Bowen was on the bench..I think this is a great way to make up for the liabilities of some of our starters as individual defenders..

do you guys think we'll see this more often from now on? is this a big part of our recent defensive success?..we definitely weren't doing this much before this week..

the rotations also looked a lot sharper, possibly due to better chemistry, and possibly due to this new strategy fitting our new players better..

Spursfan092120
02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I liked it a lot in the Mavs and Blazer games..the main thing being the way we swarmed their star players immediately once they made a move..

Dirk was being doubled immediately, probably since he had favorable matchups..Roy wasn't doubled immediately, since we wanted him to take Js..but he was doubled immediately once he made any type of move to the basket, forcing others to beat us..

a lot of help and swarming on their star players, especially when Bowen was on the bench..I think this is a great way to make up for the liabilities of some of our starters as individual defenders..

do you guys think we'll see this more often from now on? is this a big part of our recent defensive success?..we definitely weren't doing this much before this week..

the rotations also looked a lot sharper, possibly due to better chemistry, and possibly due to this new strategy fitting our new players better..
Fan freaking tastic. Our defense has definitely picked up. Personally, I think it's because Roger, George, and the rest of the new guys are now comfortable in their positions on the team on the offensive side, so it's easier to focus on defense now. Just my opinion.

Spurlady
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
It probably had more to do with Tim being out. He is the anchor of the defense and usually clogs up the middle. Without him there roles were changed up a bit. Nevertheless, the swarm was very effective and I think the Spurs should continue it against teams without a strong 2nd or 3rd threat. Against for example Boston it might not work as well because if you swarm Garnett--Pierce or Allen could beat you. But for many other teams it is a good strategy.

wijayas
02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
We are #12 on FG% allowed now. A week ago? #17.
This defense works!

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2009, 09:13 PM
this is the sort of defense that got us a championship against the cavs in 07....should use it more often....

raspsa
02-26-2009, 10:00 PM
It probably had more to do with Tim being out. He is the anchor of the defense and usually clogs up the middle. Without him there roles were changed up a bit. Nevertheless, the swarm was very effective and I think the Spurs should continue it against teams without a strong 2nd or 3rd threat. Against for example Boston it might not work as well because if you swarm Garnett--Pierce or Allen could beat you. But for many other teams it is a good strategy.

TD being out just made the guys realize they had no one to fall back on so they had to redouble their effort.. none of the guys except Bowen and Hill are good individual defenders.

spurspokesman
02-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Good observation heat. Lets see if we can maintain it for the rest of the year.

smrattler
02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
We are #12 on FG% allowed now. A week ago? #17.
This defense works!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it's broke, increase Bowen's minutes.

Yorae
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
rotation's very good lately.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
It's working very well but it's gimmick defense. It can't be relied on in a series, or against a very good team like the Lakers or the Celtics. You have to realize the mavs just flat out suck hairy balls this year. And they were just as injured as we were. We will see how this defense holds up against one of the best teams in th league tomorrow night, and against a Portland team on a court they play bad ass on. I can almost assure you Nate will have made some adjustments for us, seeing as we just played so recently.