PDA

View Full Version : Are "refs decision is ALWAYS final"good in the NBA??

milkyway21
03-09-2005, 02:35 AM
...even if after some review it proved otherwise?

look what happened last yr to the Spurs' famous.04 collapse. for some observers there was clearly a delay of releasing the timeclock AND IT COST THE SPURS a chance for a 3rd trip to the NBA finals. The players were healthy, they could have made it against the Pistons and might have won the crown & trophy might be sitting in S.A. right now.

pls read what happened last night to Memphis playing vs. Sacramento....

..Mike Bibby's long 3-pointer as time expired was upheld on a controversial video review, and the Sacramento Kings beat the Memphis Grizzlies 85-82 on Tuesday night.

Peja Stojakovic's inbounds pass with 1.4 seconds left was tipped by James Posey, but the clock didn't start until Bibby grabbed the ball, turned and hit an amazing 3-pointer from several feet behind the line.

While the sellout crowd erupted and the Kings fled the court, the Grizzlies pointed out the tardy clock. But after a lengthy review, the officials decided they couldn't change what happened - :cry

so what now? what if it's the playoffs(again)? This refs deserve some fines for this, don't you think so?

Drachen
03-09-2005, 02:56 AM
Are you also taking into account that every replay showed that when Tim Duncan's shot went in there was clearly .9 seconds on the clock or are you too much of a homer to acknowledge that the spurs just lost the series.

If you pick homer, then I will not chide you any more, because I am probably one of the biggest homers you will meet.... But it is insanely clear that Dfish should have had more than twice the time to shoot his shot.

Spurminator
03-09-2005, 10:22 AM
As I understand the situation, the refs shouldn't be fined because they had no choice in the matter. Refs can add time to the clock but cannot take time off.

Clandestino
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Are you also taking into account that every replay showed that when Tim Duncan's shot went in there was clearly .9 seconds on the clock or are you too much of a homer to acknowledge that the spurs just lost the series.

If you pick homer, then I will not chide you any more, because I am probably one of the biggest homers you will meet.... But it is insanely clear that Dfish should have had more than twice the time to shoot his shot.

he would not have been able to catch, turn and shoot in .9 seconds either...

Beans
03-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Kings Win!Kings Win!

Rummpd
03-11-2005, 07:02 AM
The rule should just be changed to as soon as the entry pass is thown - clock starts.

Why the hell does a pass happen in "psuedo time"?

3rdCoast
03-11-2005, 11:42 AM
I think the rule is fine.

Phenomanul
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Yeah, but also realize that Dfish needed 0.9 seconds to release his shot (9 tenth of a second frames elapse in the sequence). And Duncan left 0.8 seconds on the clock not 0.9 seconds.

These two statements say one thing: That DFish's shot was illegitimate by any coin. In anycase the problem is that you would have to total up all the missed time from every play in the game. So really only that last play is critical. And in the last play the refs knew they blew it.

slayermin
03-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Actually, I would have liked to see them put 0.8 on the clock. The Spurs would have played it differently. I think the defense would have been more intense and Manu would probably been a little more aggressive in closing out on Fisher.