PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mensah-Bonsu Knows Basics Of Spurs' System (And: Duncan A Game-Time Decision)

duncan228
02-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Mensah-Bonsu knows basics of Spurs' system (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mensah-Bonsu_knows_basics_of_Spurs_system.html)
Mike Monroe

The first Spurs player to welcome Pops Mensah-Bonsu into the locker room Wednesday afternoon had a familiar face.

Roger Mason Jr. got acquainted with Mensah-Bonsu in summertime games in his hometown of Washington, D.C., when Mensah-Bonsu was a player at George Washington.

Familiarity is something Mensah-Bonsu believes gives him a chance to find a place on the Spurs roster beyond the 10-day contract he signed Wednesday morning. His time with the Austin Toros, during which he averaged 26.6 points and 13 rebounds in eight games, gave him a rudimentary education in the Spurs' offensive and defensive schemes, because the Toros use most of both.

Mensah-Bonsu is 2 inches shorter than his officially listed 6-foot-10, but he has long arms that make him play taller than 6-8. He hopes to show the Spurs' coaches that his defensive versatility also is reason to keep him around.

“I think I can help this team,” he said. “I think I can be a piece of the puzzle they need, so, hopefully, coach (Gregg) Popovich can see something that they're missing.

“I'm ahead of the game, as far as the system is concerned, and I think I bring a different aspect, a different edge to the team. I'm an athletic power forward, and they haven't had a player like this for a while.

“The kind of player I am, I'm able to guard different positions, guard smaller, athletic players, as well as bigger, stronger players, power forwards and centers.”

Duncan uncertainty: Spurs forward Tim Duncan, who has missed the past two games with right knee pain, is likely to be a game-time decision tonight against Cleveland.

The team's medical staff will evaluate Duncan after shootaround this morning and again after pregame warmups. Duncan has been diagnosed with tendonosis in his right quad, a degenerative condition that responds to rest.

Kurt Thomas has started in Duncan's place in each of the past two games, totaling 18 points and 25 rebounds.

Gimme a ‘D': Don't look now, but the Spurs' defense is beginning to draw less and less ire from Popovich.

The Spurs, who are on a four-game winning streak, have held three consecutive opponents to less than 40 percent shooting.

They have held four straight foes to 84 points or less.

Surprisingly, the Spurs have turned in back-to-back defensive gems with Duncan, their defensive centerpiece, sidelined.

“The great thing with our system, it doesn't matter what five guys you put on the court,” center Matt Bonner said. “If you execute it, we can shut anybody down.”

Staff writer Jeff McDonald contributed to this report

Yorae
02-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Oh he's 6'8"? He really seems to be taller than that....

Russ
02-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Mensah-Bonsu is 2 inches shorter than his officially listed 6-foot-10, but he has long arms that make him play taller than 6-8. He hopes to show the Spurs' coaches that his defensive versatility also is reason to keep him around.

Maybe this guy can be a burly Wes Unseld type under the hoop.

SenorSpur
02-27-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm sure Pops is not as good of a positional defender as he could be, at this point, but I'd love to see him try his hand at David West and/or Dirk.

EricB
02-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Eh, its too late in the season IMO for this guy to get a shot at the rotation.

toki9
02-27-2009, 01:58 AM
“The great thing with our system, it doesn't matter what five guys you put on the court,” center Matt Bonner said. “If you execute it, we can shut anybody down.”

I hope he didn't just jinx the team...

mystargtr34
02-27-2009, 02:02 AM
6'7.5" without shoes = 6'9" in the NBA.

Every player is measured in shoes, and then some. Nearly all are at least an inch shorter than their listed height, some up to 2.

mystargtr34
02-27-2009, 02:02 AM
6'9", 245 is pretty good size for an NBA PF.

Spurtacus
02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
I hope he gets some playing time tonight.

Blackjack
02-27-2009, 02:32 AM

That would be the conventional wisdom, but Dell Demps really seems to be high on him.

Demps' interview before the game with Schoening, had him coming off like he really stuck his neck out there for Pops, and that Pops would succeed if given the opportunity.

Only time will tell, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the young fella plays.:corn:

EricB
02-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Eh, I don't know how far Demps is sticking his neck out for Pops.

I think he stuck his neck way out there for Jackie Butler, but that was a miserable failure apparently.

raspsa
02-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Maybe this guy can be a burly Wes Unseld type under the hoop.

I don't know if you want to compare him with Wes. unseld is a couple of inches shorter and maybe 30lbs. heavier. Built like a fire hydrant. He had one of the greatest outlet passes ever. Another one of my favorites. :toast

The Truth #6
02-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Time will tell if Pops earns rotation minutes or not. It's probably a long shot but I see no reason to suggest it won't happen because it doesn't normally happen.

Blackjack
02-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Eh, I don't know how far Demps is sticking his neck out for Pops.

I think he stuck his neck way out there for Jackie Butler, but that was a miserable failure apparently.

Sticking his neck out there was probably a poor choice of words, so let's just say a strong advocate. I'm pretty sure Pops would've been given a look without much pushing from Demps, but nonetheless, he seemed pretty optimistic about what Pop brings to the table.

I'm no expert on Pops (seen very little in-game action) but if he could carve out a Leon Powe-type role, that'd be a nice weapon to add to the arsenal.

Manufan909
02-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Whaat was the percentage of games Croshere played on his 10-day with on the Spurs? Cuz I think he missed some too. I hope Pops gets more minutes than him, at least Pops knows the system, if not the players. If TD is out again, I see no reason not to. If one of Fab/KT/Bonner is either not on, or in foul trouble, he could maybe see 10+ minutes. As long as he doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

If the Rockets can blow out the Cavs, the super-D Spurs-lite can win a 3rd game by double-digits. If at any point the lead hits 17, I'd like Pop to experiment with a lineup of Pops, KT, Hairston, Mason/Bowen, and Hill. Hell, as long as both Hairston and Pops play, I'm good.

But for more than 34 seconds this time, more like 5-10 minutes.

Manufan909
02-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Pops apparently is 6'9 and has a 7' winspan, what iss the wingspan of the avg 6'11 player? Cuz I don't think height matters as much as standing reach.

Austin_Toros
02-27-2009, 06:35 AM
6'7.5" without shoes = 6'9" in the NBA.

Every player is measured in shoes, and then some. Nearly all are at least an inch shorter than their listed height, some up to 2.

I've heard stuff like that before. So most players are shorter than they are listed?

That means Shaq truly isn't 7'1"
And Iverson really is shorter than 6'

well there you go.

cool hand
02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
all he needs is 3 blocks 2 killers dunks and about 5 offensive rebounds in any given game and he will be locked in. pop will be forced to use him if he can "sportscenter"
show his stuff.

I have noticed pop will cave to nationwide "other teams want to sign this guy" pressures.

cool hand
02-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Pops apparently is 6'9 and has a 7' winspan, what iss the wingspan of the avg 6'11 player? Cuz I don't think height matters as much as standing reach.

Theo Ratliff.

DBMethos
02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
When Matt Bonner starts talking about shutting people down, you know things are going well.

Samr
02-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Well, he certainly doesn't lack confidence. I do believe he is an intriguing player that brings an athletic aspect to the game that could benefit the Spurs if he can establish himself as a consistent contributor.

That being said, do I think he'll crack the rotation this late in the season? Not a chance.

Hope I'm wrong.

urunobili
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Feel the Bonsu!

MoSpur
02-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Typical TPark response. If the Spurs were to have signed a guy TPark was all up on, his response would be the total opposite.

EricB
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Typical TPark response. If the Spurs were to have signed a guy TPark was all up on, his response would be the total opposite.

Uh wrong.

urunobili
02-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Uh wrong.

dude you have been bashing the Bonsu from the very beginning... If he doesn't pan put it won't be an upset... but if he does... you'll have to create yet another user name... again... :bang

Spursmania
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
pops apparently is 6'9 and has a 7' winspan, what iss the wingspan of the avg 6'11 player? Cuz i don't think height matters as much as standing reach.

+1

EricB
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
dude you have been bashing the Bonsu from the very beginning... If he doesn't pan put it won't be an upset... but if he does... you'll have to create yet another user name... again... :bang

The Bonsu?

I haven't bashed him, all I've said is the hype around this guy has reached insane stupid proportions and your guy's expectations for him are unrealistic.

Yeah if the guy turns out to be a good player and help the team win, I'll be upset :rolleyes

Where the hell do you people get this tripe?

urunobili
02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
The Bonsu?

I haven't bashed him, all I've said is the hype around this guy has reached insane stupid proportions and your guy's expectations for him are unrealistic.

Yeah if the guy turns out to be a good player and help the team win, I'll be upset :rolleyes

Getting exited about the 15th man on the Spurs roster is always something to debate on here and we ALWAYS hype up those players... you have been here longer than i have and should know the pattern by hand... That's why i am shocked that YOU seem surprised about the hype on him... :wow:wow:wow

and btw... if he ends up cracking the rotation... i know deep inside you'll be happy... where in my post did i say you'd get upset if he ends up being useful? :nope

Bruno
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
10 days contract are made to evalauate players. It's likely Pops will get some "no garbage" minutes during his first or second ten days contract. It will help Spurs to decide if they should keep him for the year or if they should try another bigman.

From what I've understood of Duncan's injury, it's something that will only heal during the offseason. In this case, keeping him out few more days won't really help him.
Spurs will have a very busy end of regular season with 25 games in 46 days in March/April. Managing player health for the playoffs will be damn important. The best case would be Spurs to secure the second seed spot a week before the end of the regular season.

Manufan909
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
10 days contract are made to evalauate players. It's likely Pops will get some "no garbage" minutes during his first or second ten days contract. It will help Spurs to decide if they should keep him for the year or if they should try another bigman.

From what I've understood of Duncan's injury, it's something that will only heal during the offseason. In this case, keeping him out few more days won't really help him.
Spurs will have a very busy end of regular season with 25 games in 46 days in March/April. Managing player health for the playoffs will be damn important. The best case would be Spurs the second seed spot a week before the end of the regular season.

You meant to put "secure" in there, didn't you?

Bruno
02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
You meant to put "secure" in there, didn't you?

I did. :)

The Truth #6
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
If Tim's knee issue is degenerative, then I wonder if he can truly be healed. Whether or not a few days of rest will be of ultimate relief is hard to say, but I"m sure he could use some rest overall. Resting Tim to test Pops is obviously silly, but if it's a by-product of that then all the better.

If Tim is still sore I would hope they would keep him out another game, rather risk a more serious injury.

Flux451
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I read that once this is diagnosed the tendons and ligaments "rarely regain their original strength."

Also, "initial recovery is usually within 2 to 3 months and full recovery is within 3 to 6 months. About 80% of patients will fully recover."

So, Tim will probably play through the pain....or its the end of his season.

On another note.
I am extremely excited to see Pops though. I hope he works out. Right now is a good time to figure out our active roster for the rest of the season.

StoneBuddha
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
When Matt Bonner starts talking about shutting people down, you know things are going well.

:lol

Mark in Austin
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
coach (Gregg) Popovich can see something that they're missing.

Thanks for clearing up which Popovich he's talking about... Are we sure the E-N hasn't started outsourcing stories to India?

urunobili
02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
TP needs an alley oop partner... THAT is what the Bonsu will bring to the table too!

eisfeld
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I'd really like to see what he can do against those athletic forwards. He might not be a good one on one defender but I certainly hope he can give them some trouble.

Ocotillo
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Dirk stopper :ihit

Yuixafun
02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Spurs will have a very busy end of regular season with 25 games in 46 days in March/April. Managing player health for the playoffs will be damn important. The best case would be Spurs to secure the second seed spot a week before the end of the regular season.

And with only around a dozen gimme games. The challenge will be to keep the health and vigor of the team primed while also facing playoff calibre teams to sharpen the spurs as they go into the playoffs.

Ideally if the Spurs are up to it, this is a good stretch, where the team can manage and Duncan and Manu get a some time off to replenish.

Hopefully it doesn't take too much out of Parker.

Manufan909
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Hopefully Mason can step up like he did to start the season to help TP out.

Taking it to the Hole
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I am finally glad to see 3 young athletic players on the Spurs roster...I think put Hill, Hairston, Pops, Bowen, and Kurt Thomas out there and you have quite a defensive lineup out there. I think Hill and Hairston might be the only ones who might be able to create their own shot but if they get out in transition...WATCH OUT. You need to put Pops out there with players that are going to play with their instincts rather than their heads.

Yuixafun
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Some of the line-ups have been strange indeed but I'm seeing some quirky stuff happening, especially on the rebounding end.

Hemotivo
02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
The Bonsu?

:tu

urunobili
02-27-2009, 03:19 PM
:tu

:sleep

MarHill
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Dirk stopper :ihit

We already have one...Matt Bonner!!

Remember he said that Dirk was on his hit list!!

:lmao

SenorSpur
02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
We already have one...Matt Bonner!!

Remember he said that Dirk was on his hit list!!

:lmao

The original Dirk Stopper was Elson, so if this reason for more hope and comparisons - that's it. :lol

Who knows? Maybe one day, once Dirk gets tired of losing in Dallas, he will sign with the Spurs and that will resolve the infamous Dirk Stopper quandary.

MarHill
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
The original Dirk Stopper was Elson, so if this reason for more hope and comparisons - that's it. :lol

Who knows? Maybe one day, once Dirk gets tired of losing in Dallas, he will sign with the Spurs and that will resolve the infamous Dirk Stopper quandary.

SenorSpur,

I forgot about Elson being the Dirk Stopper! Oops!! :lol

However, I don't think Dirk would ever sign with the Spurs. For him that would be coming to the enemy!!! :lmao

The Truth #6
02-27-2009, 05:06 PM
And with only around a dozen gimme games. The challenge will be to keep the health and vigor of the team primed while also facing playoff calibre teams to sharpen the spurs as they go into the playoffs.

Ideally if the Spurs are up to it, this is a good stretch, where the team can manage and Duncan and Manu get a some time off to replenish.

Hopefully it doesn't take too much out of Parker.

With Parker being younger, I'd rather have him have to carry the load than Manu or Tim. Last year Manu had to carry the team around this time for about 10 games and I can only wonder how much of an effect that had on him breaking down at the end of the playoffs against the Lakers.

We'll need to lean on Tony but it seems like this is a challenge he's wanted all season. I sense he wants to prove his talent and what better way than being the number one option on a team that usually has two other Hall of Famers.

Yuixafun
02-27-2009, 06:13 PM
With Parker being younger, I'd rather have him have to carry the load than Manu or Tim. Last year Manu had to carry the team around this time for about 10 games and I can only wonder how much of an effect that had on him breaking down at the end of the playoffs against the Lakers.

We'll need to lean on Tony but it seems like this is a challenge he's wanted all season. I sense he wants to prove his talent and what better way than being the number one option on a team that usually has two other Hall of Famers.

That's on point.

If it should fall for any of the big three to carry us during the regular season Parker is the one.

He's younger, hungrier, in his physical prime, seasoned with vet savvy and fortitude, all the while grooming the bench by giving them minutes to grow confidence.

Insert rested TD and Ginobili to a mix of Parker having spent the past month being in overdrive mode with a bench used to playing meaningful minutes...

montgod
02-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Well... the way the game is going with the Cavs... Bonsu might get his shot to show Pop what he got.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-27-2009, 10:48 PM
The original Dirk Stopper was Malik Rose..