PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Face Of Every NBA Franchise

Thomas82
02-27-2009, 03:11 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130157-whos-the-face-of-each-nba-franchise-ever

Who's the All-Time Face of Each NBA Franchise?

Here are the best players ever for each franchise in the NBA.

Atlanta Hawks: Bob Pettit
Pettit was a legendary power forward who played with the Hawks for his entire eleven year career. He averaged 26 points and 16 rebounds for his career along with being selected to the All Star team every year of his career. He also won two MVP awards and four All Star game MVP awards. Finally, he led the Hawks to their only championship in the 1957 - 1958 season over the Celtics.

Boston Celtics: Larry Bird
I think Bird was better than Russell because Bird was great offensively and solid defensively, while Russell was an average offensive player. Bird led the Celtics to three championships and five Finals appearances in the '80s. He averaged 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists while shooting 50 percent from the field in his career. Finally, he won three MVP awards and two Finals MVP awards.

Charlotte Bobcats: Emeka Okafor
Okafor has been a solid player so far in his career. In his five year career so far, he has averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocked shots while shooting 50 percent from the field. He won the 2004 - 2005 Rookie of the Year Award and has been one of the better defensive big men in the league over the last few seasons.

Chicago Bulls: Michael Jordan
Jordan is one of the three greatest players to ever play. He won five MVP awards and six Finals MVP awards as he led the Bulls to all of their six titles in the '90s. He averaged 30 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists while shooting about 50 percent from the field in his career. He was also one of the best defensive players ever as he won the 1988 Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Cleveland Cavaliers: LeBron James
LeBron is going to end up as one of the ten greatest players ever when it is all said and done. So far in his six seasons, he has become the best player of the franchise. A few years ago, he led the team to their only Finals appearance. He has averaged about 27 points, 7 rebounds, and 6.5 assists in his career so far while also being a five time All Star and a two time All Star game MVP award winner.

Dallas Mavericks: Dirk Nowitzki
Dirk has been the face of the franchise over the last ten years. He is the only Maverick who won an MVP award as a member of the team and he led the team to their only Finals appearance a couple of years ago. He has averaged about 23 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 1 blocked shot per game. Finally, he has been an eight-time All Star.

Denver Nuggets: Alex English
English played the majority of his brilliant career with Denver. He is the all time scoring leader for the Nuggets as he scored over 21,000 points with them and averaged 26 points per game as a member of the team. Finally, all of his eight All Star appearances were as a member of the Nuggets.

Detroit Pistons: Isiah Thomas
Isiah was one of the greatest point guards ever. In his career, he led the Pistons to back to back championships in the late '80s and early '90s and three Finals appearances. He averaged about 19 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals per game while shooting 45 percent from the field. He was a 12-time All Star and he won the All Star game MVP award twice. Finally, he won the Finals MVP in the 1990 Finals.

Golden State Warriors: Rick Barry
Barry was one of the most all around players ever and he played the majority of his career with the Warriors. In his career, he averaged about 23 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals per game while shooting about 45 percent from the field. He was an All Star eight times while he was a member of the Warriors. Finally, he led the Warriors to their most recent championship in the 1974 - 1975 season as he won the Finals MVP.

Houston Rockets: Hakeem Olajuwon
Hakeem was as skilled as any big man in any generation. He was dominant at both ends of court. He averaged 22 points, 11 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 3 blocked shots, and nearly 2 steals per game while shooting 51 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team twelve times and he led the Rockets to their only two championships in the mid-'90s as he won the Finals MVP both times. Finally, he won the Defensive Player of the Year Award twice and the MVP award once.

Indiana Pacers: Reggie Miller
Miller was the face of the franchise for about twenty years. He is the all time leader in several stats for the team, with the most notable as the record for most points on the team. He averaged about 18 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists in his career and ranks 16th all time in total points with just over 25,000. Finally, he was a five time All Star and he led the team to their most recent Finals appearance in the 1999 - 2000 season.

Los Angeles Clippers: Elton Brand
Brand was the face of the franchise until this season when he signed with the 76ers. In his seven-year time with the Clippers, he averaged about 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, and two blocked shots while shooting 50 percent from the field. He was also selected to the All Star team twice and he led the Clippers to the second round of the playoffs a few years ago.

Los Angeles Lakers: Magic Johnson
In my opinion, Magic is the greatest player ever. In his career with the Lakers, he led the team to five championships and nine Finals appearances during the most difficult era in the league's history. In his career, he averaged about 20 points, 11 assists, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals while shooting 52 percent from the field. He won the MVP award three consecutive times in the late 80's and three Finals MVP awards. He was also selected to the All Star team twelve times and he led the league in assists per game four times and in steals per game twice. Unfortunately, his career was cut short after he became HIV positive.

Memphis Grizzlies: Pau Gasol
Gasol played the first six and a half seasons of his career with the Grizzlies before being traded to the Lakers last year. In his career with them, he averaged about 19 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocked shots while shooting 51 percent from the field. He won the Rookie of the Year award in the 2001 - 2002 season and was a one time All Star.

Miami Heat: Dwyane Wade
Wade is already the best player in the Heat's franchise. So far in six seasons, he has averaged 25 points, 6.6 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals per game while shooting 48 percent from the field. He has been selected to the All Star team five times and he led the Heat to their only championship in the 2005 - 2006 season as he won the Finals MVP award. He is currently leading the league in scoring and will be the face of the franchise for the next several years.

Milwaukee Bucks: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Kareem is the most accomplished player ever and he was so good that he is still the best Buck ever even though he only played six of his twenty plus seasons with them. He won three of his record six MVP awards with the Bucks and he is still the all time leader in points for the team. Finally, he led the team to their only championship and two Finals appearances in the early '70s.

Minnesota Timberwolves: Kevin Garnett
KG was the face of the franchise for over ten years. He averaged about 20 points, 11 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.5 steals and blocked shots per game while shooting just under 50 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team 10 times with the Timberwolves, winning the All Star game MVP award in the 2003 game. Finally, he led the team to the West Finals in the 2003 - 2004 season.

New Jersey Nets: Jason Kidd
Kidd is one of the best point guards ever as he is always a threat to have a triple double. He played six and a half seasons of his brilliant career with the Nets and he led the team to two Finals appearances, losing both of them. He averaged about 16 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals per game in his stint with the Nets. He was also an above average defensive player who could guard both point and shooting guards.

New Orleans Hornets: Chris Paul
Paul is already the best player in the team's history. So far in four seasons, he has averaged about 19 points, 10 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2.4 steals while shooting just under 47 percent from the field. He has been a two-time All Star and he led the league in both assists and steals and is leading in both this season. Finally, he finished second in the MVP voting last season, behind Kobe Bryant.

New York Knicks: Willis Reed
Reed played his entire career with the Knicks. He led them to their only two championships in the early 1970's by winning the Finals MVP award in both finals. He also won the MVP award in the 1969 - 1970 season. In his short career (only 650 games), he averaged 19 points and 13 rebounds while shooting 48 percent from the field. Finally, he was selected to the All Star team seven times, winning the MVP in the 1970 game.

Oklahoma City Thunder (Seattle Supersonics): Gary Payton
Payton was the face of the franchise for about 10 years. He was one of the best all around point guards ever as he was great offensively and defensively. He was selected to the All Star team nine times as a Sonic and he won the Defensive Player of the Year Award in the 1995 - 1996 season. He averaged about 18 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals per game in his stint with the team. Finally, he led them to the Finals in the 1995 - 1996 season.

Orlando Magic: Shaquille O'Neal
Shaq only played four seasons with the Magic, but he was as dominant as anyone during those years. He averaged about 27 points, 12 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 3 blocked shots while shooting 58 percent from the field. He was selected to the All-Star team each year he was on the team and he won the Rookie of the Year Award. Finally, he led the Magic to their only Finals appearance in the 1994 - 1995 season.

Philadelphia 76ers: Julius Erving
Dr. J played his entire NBA career with the Sixers. During his stint with them, he averaged 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1.5 blocked shots while shooting 51 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team each year he was a member of the team, winning two All Star game MVP awards. He also won the MVP award in the 1980 - 1981 season. Finally, he helped lead the team to their most recent championship when he paired with Moses Malone in the 1982 - 1983 season.

Phoenix Suns: Kevin Johnson
Johnson was one of the most underrated players of his generation. In his career, he averaged about 18 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds, and 1.5 steals along with shooting a fantastic 49.3 percent from the field. He also was selected to the All Star team three times and had four seasons when he averaged double digit assists. Finally, he helped lead the team to the Finals in the 1992-1993 season.

Portland Trailblazers: Clyde Drexler
Drexler was a fantastic all around player who was the face of the team for about ten years from the mid-'80s until the mid-'90s. In his stint with the team, he averaged about 21 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals while shooting about 47 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team eight times as a member of the Blazers and he helped lead the team to their most recent Finals appearance in the 1989-1990 season, before they lost in five games to the Pistons.

Sacramento Kings: Oscar Robertson
Oscar was as all around of a player as there was and ever will be as he somehow averaged a triple double for an entire season. He played with the Cincinnati Royals for ten years. During his stint with the team, he averaged about 28 points, 10 assists and 8 rebounds while shooting about 49 percent from the field. He was also selected to the All Star team in all ten seasons with the Royals.

San Antonio Spurs: Tim Duncan
Duncan has been the face of the franchise over the last dozen years. He has led the Spurs to all four of the franchise's championships, winning the Finals MVP award three times. He also won back to back MVP awards in the early 2000's. So far in his career, he has averaged 22 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2.4 blocks while shooting 51 percent from the field. Finally, he has been selected to the All Star team eleven times, winning the MVP of the 2000 All Star game.

Toronto Raptors: Vince Carter
Carter was an amazing player for the team for over six seasons. During his stint with the team, he averaged about 25 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1.5 steals, and 1 blocked shot per game while shooting about 45 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star five times in his six seasons with the team and he won the 1998-1999 Rookie of the Year Award.

Utah Jazz: Karl Malone
Malone was one of the greatest power forwards ever as he ranks second all time in total points behind only Kareem. In his twenty year career, he averaged 25 points, 10 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.4 steals and 1 blocked shot while shooting about 52 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team fourteen times, winning the All Star game MVP award twice. Finally, he won two MVP awards, but he never won a ring as the Jazz lost in both trips to the Finals.

Washington Wizards: Elvin Hayes
Hayes was one of the most underrated players ever. He played seven of his sixteen years with the Bullets and during his stint he averaged about 21 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steals, and 2.5 blocked shots while shooting about 46 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team six times with the Bullets and he led the team to consecutive Finals appearances in the late 70's, winning their only title in the 1977 - 1978 season.

tp2021
02-27-2009, 03:14 AM
Shaq is a Laker, IMO.

tp2021
02-27-2009, 03:15 AM
And I don't see how Toronto would want to be associated with VC in any way.

duncan228
02-27-2009, 03:17 AM
San Antonio Spurs: Tim Duncan
Duncan has been the face of the franchise over the last dozen years. He has led the Spurs to all four of the franchise's championships, winning the Finals MVP award three times. He also won back to back MVP awards in the early 2000's. So far in his career, he has averaged 22 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2.4 blocks while shooting 51 percent from the field. Finally, he has been selected to the All Star team eleven times, winning the MVP of the 2000 All Star game.

It's incomplete without the All NBA and All Defensive NBA teams. (For any player that has them).

El Jefe
02-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Shaq is a Laker, IMO.

Who would Orlando's other options be? I don't think they had anyone before Shaq, Penny Hardaway was not good enough, T-Mac left on bad terms.

Dwight Howard is the only reasonable alternative, and he's in his 3rd(?) season. Plus he's minus 1 Finals trip to Shaq. I agree Shaq isn't going to be remembered for being on Orlando, but pickins are slim.

El Jefe
02-27-2009, 03:20 AM
And I don't see how Toronto would want to be associated with VC in any way.

You're absolutely right there, but again, who do you put in his place? Bosh I guess? Just some young franchises without a lot of history.

baseline bum
02-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Alex English over David Thompson? I don't know.

For the Warriors, Rick Barry over Wilt Chamberlain? Is this guy out of his fucking mind? All those crazy numbers in the record books were put up by him as a member of the Philadelphia and then San Francisco Warriors. Seriously, that would be like the Rockets putting McGrady ahead of Olajuwon (but still way worse!) or the Pistons putting Grant Hill over Isiah.

Yorae
02-27-2009, 03:53 AM
Writer's no duncan lover. Hardly any love.

mudyez
02-27-2009, 05:15 AM
"as a member of the Blazers and he helped lead the team to their most recent Finals appearance in the 1989-1990 season, before they lost in five games to the Pistons."

could have sworn, that the blazers playerd against the bulls 2 years later!

DBMethos
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM
"Los Angeles Clippers: Elton Brand"

What a sad franchise.

mudyez
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
"Los Angeles Clippers: Elton Brand"

What a sad franchise.

no offense to elton, but just that was my first thought too!

I Love Me Some Me
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
no offense to elton, but just that was my first thought too!

Kevin Johnson over Barkley or Nash?

WalterBenitez
02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
San Antonio, I love TD as Star, leader, but the first face I imagine is David Robinson, perhpas my mistake, but I'd to say it.

bigfan
02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Disagree on the Bucks, Kareem seems more of a Laker to me, should be Sidney Montcrief or Terry Cummings.

mudyez
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Kevin Johnson over Barkley or Nash?

agree...I'm a big fan of KJ, but it has to be Barkley (maybe even Nash, yeah)!

LockBeard
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd go with DRob.

tlongII
02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Portland Trailblazers: Clyde Drexler
Drexler was a fantastic all around player who was the face of the team for about ten years from the mid-'80s until the mid-'90s. In his stint with the team, he averaged about 21 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals while shooting about 47 percent from the field. He was selected to the All Star team eight times as a member of the Blazers and he helped lead the team to their most recent Finals appearance in the 1989-1990 season, before they lost in five games to the Pistons.

Did this guy forget about 1992 when we lost to the Bulls in 6 games?

PDXSpursFan
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Correction:

Dallas Mavericks: Marc Cuban :lol

Josepatches_
02-27-2009, 12:10 PM
San Antonio, I love TD as Star, leader, but the first face I imagine is David Robinson, perhpas my mistake, but I'd to say it.

Maybe and we could say George Gervin too.
But TD was the player who put San Antonio as one of the best team of the history.TD is the face of SA clearly.No doubt.

lefty
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Shaq is a Laker, IMO.

IMO, Shaq is a retard

lefty
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Without looking at the original list:

Spurs: Lloyd Daniels

Clippers: Danny Manning

Lakers: Jerry West

Magic: Shaq

Celtics: Red Auerbach

Suns: Paul Westphal; he put them on the map

Rockets: Hakeem

Mavericks: Roy Tarpley, symbol of everything that has gone wrong in this organisation; just kidding: Mark Aguirre

Hornets: toss up; Zo' and LJ

NYK: Ewing

Raptors: VC; yes, VC

Bucks: toss up; Kareem and Oscar

NJ Nets: Petrovic

Pistons: Dennis Rodman

Blazers: toss up ; Walton and Drexler

JWest596
02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
It's a "snapshot" analysis/opinion valid for today. Nobody would agree with it 5, 10 or 20 years ago or the same in the future. It all depends on who and the age of the person asked.

Example: Bill Russell or Larry Bird for the Celtics? Nary a young person ever saw Russell play and film of him is limited. Larry was marketed more.

DBMethos
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
"Without looking at the original list:

Spurs: Lloyd Daniels"

Hell yeah. I love me some Swee' Pea.