PDA

View Full Version : Karl: Lakers Might Be Better Without Bynum

Spurs Brazil
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57579/20090227/karl_lakers_might_be_better_without_bynum/

The Lakers are 12-1 since losing Andrew Bynum to a knee injury, and Nuggets coach George Karl believes we should entertain the idea that they are better without the center.

"Don't you have to make the statement that maybe they're better without Bynum?" Karl asked reporters on Thursday.

"Why do we always say Bynum? How many games has he played for this team? I like Bynum. I think he's a great player. But sometimes you can have too much talent out there and it can kind of be confusing."

weebo
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe for the short term but come play off time...If he's not in there to help man the paint, TP, Manu, and Timmy will be having a field day.

xtremesteven33
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Bynum off the bench would be killer for the Lakers

Muser
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
If Bynum can stay healthy through the playoffs

Fisher
Bryant
Walton
Gasol
Bynum

With Ariza/Farmar/Odom/Vujacic coming off the bench. That's a beasty team.

scanry
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree with Karl. The Lakers are better without Bynum. The team chemistry is far better without him because Odom isn't complaining for more PT or touches.

Ghazi
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Maybe for the short term but come play off time...If he's not in there to help man the paint, TP, Manu, and Timmy will be having a field day.

Just like they did last year eh?

IronMexican
02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
They aren't.

Pelicans78
02-27-2009, 06:53 PM
If Bynum can stay healthy through the playoffs

Fisher
Bryant
Walton
Gasol
Bynum

With Ariza/Farmar/Odom/Vujacic coming off the bench. That's a beasty team.

Gasol and Bynum are both Centers.

Ariza is terrific

Farmar and Vujacic are overrated.

cobbler
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I agree with Karl. The Lakers are better without Bynum. The team chemistry is far better without him because Odom isn't complaining for more PT or touches.

Odom has never complained about PT or touches. He complained at first about starting simply cause of the "starter" moniker. His PT has always been the same.

baseline bum
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
There's no way they're better without Bynum. The Finals last season showed pretty decisively that the team is soft inside without him.

TheMACHINE
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
just like odom had beastly numbers, Karl must have forgotten what kind of numbers Bynum put up prior to injury.

BigDaddyCool
02-27-2009, 07:25 PM
The lakers are too weak of a defensive team to not have Bynum.... They showed that last year and it will happen again if they face a physical team in the playoffs again... Including SA.

Pelicans78
02-27-2009, 07:26 PM
The lakers are too weak of a defensive team to not have Bynum.... They showed that last year and it will happen again if they face a physical team in the playoffs again... Including SA.

I don't know Diesel. They've won at Cleveland and Boston without Bynum.

TheMACHINE
02-27-2009, 07:36 PM

I swore the Lakers beat the Spurs last year without Bynum in the playoffs.

Rogue
02-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Bynum off the bench would be killer for the Lakers
stfu

don't give suggestions to fakers, it's a bad idea though

mystargtr34
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I swore the Lakers beat the Spurs last year without Bynum in the playoffs.

Put it this way, with a healthy Manu, i think the Spurs really like their chances against the Lakers without Bynum. With Bynum in there, its an entirely different animal.

tlongII
02-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Nah. The Lakers are definitely better with Bynum. Just like we're better with Oden. Unfortunately we can't seem to keep these kids on the court.

tlongII
02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Oh, and I'm LMAO at Spurs fans that think they can beat the Lakers with or without Bynum.

mystargtr34
02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
The Blazers play much better with Przybilla on the floor than with Oden. Oden will be special though.

mystargtr34
02-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh, and I'm LMAO at Spurs fans that think they can beat the Lakers with or without Bynum.

And you think the Blazers can? After the Spurs spanked the Blazers without Manu AND Duncan. The only way Portland wins anything, is if everygame is at home. That team wont be able to win a game on the road in the playoffs - so unless they get a top 4 seed, their first round fodder.

DrHouse
02-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Regular season != Playoffs.

In the playoffs the game slows down quite a bit and you see more half court sets. The Lakers will absolutely need Bynum if they are to win it all. His defensive presence cannot be replicated by anyone on the team.

MambaJuice2408
02-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Actually I feel different. You are right we learned that lesson LAST YEAR, but as it stands the Celtics don't have that same big man depth they possessed last year with PJ Brown.

This Lakers team right now WITHOUT BYNUM has already beaten BOS and CLE on the road. So NO, I dont think they absolutely need Bynum. Everyone keeps saying that we do, but I feel we needed him LAST YEAR compared to this year cuz Boston isn't as good up front this year.

BYNUM just makes it that much easier if he's playin well to win a championship but I have no doubt they still can.

Banzai
02-27-2009, 11:28 PM
this thread fails.

iggypop123
02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
i think he is right when talking about a lineup, but as a team no. a 4th quarter lineup of fisher, kobe, ariza odom, gasol is better than having bynum out there, but you still need bynum in between the game