PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Again A No-Go

duncan228
02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Duncan again a no-go as Pop plays it safe (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_again_a_no-go.html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs All-Star forward Tim Duncan wanted to suit up for Friday's game against the Eastern Conference's top team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, at the AT&T Center on Friday night.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't think it was a good idea, and while he often jokes that his two-time MVP is the de facto president of Spurs basketball operations, when it comes to playing with injuries, Popovich rules.

Duncan told Popovich on Tuesday that soreness in his right knee would not allow him to play against the Dallas Mavericks. He was diagnosed Wednesday with tendonosis of the right quadriceps tendon, sitting out that night's game against Portland.

Cleared to play Friday by team doctors, Duncan lobbied to go against Cleveland, but Popovich opted to err on the side of caution.

“He wants to go tonight,” Popovich said. “He's not happy with me.”

Popovich was a jury of one in the decision, admitting he likely is being overly cautious.

“Sunday or Monday, I'll probably relent,” he said. “I just think, he's too important to us. When he said he couldn't go on Tuesday, that affects me. He doesn't say that. He doesn't miss anything. He doesn't miss practices. When he says that, that worries me.”

The Spurs coach said he trusts his medical staff when it tells him a player is ready to go. In this case, he made a decision based on his instincts.

The Spurs' other injured star, swingman Manu Ginobili, has added riding an exercise bike to his daily regimen of conditioning drills.

Ginobili was diagnosed nine days ago with a stress reaction of the right distal fibula.

“He's just on the bike, and lifting and doing core work until he wants to spit,” Popovich said. “He's going crazy. It's just a week and a day today, and what did they say, two to three (weeks)? By the time it's over, he'll probably lose 30 pounds just driving himself wild.”

MarHill
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
TD plays Sunday against Portland and Manu will play either against Washington on March 6 or Phoenix on March 8th!!

Spursmania
02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Pop's quotes are so damn funny about Manu! I'm glad to hear Tim wanted to play. I'll be damn glad to see him and Manu back.

Thomas82
02-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Pop's quotes are so damn funny about Manu! I'm glad to hear Tim wanted to play. I'll be damn glad to see him and Manu back.

You and me both!!

Manu-of-steel
02-28-2009, 01:48 AM
lol at pop's description of manu. spurs are really boring.lol