PDA

View Full Version : Mensah-Bonsu is a fan favourite (and video of dunks)

Austin_Toros
02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
I think the spurs should sign Pops for the rest of the season purely because he gives the spurs something they are lacking, but more importantly because he seems to be a fan favourite already. He hasn't accomplished anything too spectacular in his time as a spur, but it looks like everybody (at least in this forum) loves him. He can be a real energizer for the spurs.

The main reason for this post is for you to see a video of his dunks against Cleveland on youtube that I found that are worth checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueBM8b9WQU

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qss9c3.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Pops thread!

ChumpDumper
02-28-2009, 05:40 AM
And that link sucked.

ILoveOranges
02-28-2009, 05:43 AM
He looks solid, even though it was basically garbage time. I'd think he gets signed for the rest of the season, but would Pop play Bonsu or Hairston any minutes at all during the playoffs? It's an interesting question, especially against the Lakers.

Austin_Toros
02-28-2009, 05:44 AM
And that link sucked.

Harsh. Why is that? It's the latest footage.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2009, 05:46 AM
It was showing something else before with no Pops.

wijayas
02-28-2009, 07:44 AM
And that link sucked.

You should look at the Youtube video that Bruno found in this thread http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118296

Muser
02-28-2009, 07:49 AM
He had a solid game with some nice dunks and a nice block but i'll save my praise to see if he can do it again with more minutes vs clips.

SenorSpur
02-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I trust the Spurs brass was as impressed with The Bonsu, as many of us were. Now that he's got some national TV exposure, he's increased his value. I would hope the Spurs continue developing him. I'd hate to see him go and develop elsewhere. There's no question the longer he stays in this system, the better and more effective he will become, at both ends of the court. He simply needs to keep practicing, keep improving and stay humble.

SenorSpur
02-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Plays like that are how Pops literally developed a "cult following", while at George Washington University, a few years ago.

Marcus Bryant
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Good energy & good instincts. Played at a nice pace in the 4th. It's not hard to see how he was averaging 25 and 15 or whatever in the D League.

You can't really teach the kind of read & react ability, hustle, and second effort that he showed in the 4th last night.

Of course, that was 12 minutes of garbage time last night. Yes, Pops the some potential....to become a rotation player someday. Then again, he has the potential to be playing in the Slovenian league in a couple of years.

Manufan909
02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Snap, crackle, and Pops!!!!!!!! Fuck, I went camping last night, so I missed Pops' introudtion to the Spurs, but he is that athletic big the Spurs need, I don't give a flying fuck if he is 6'9 or 6'10, his 7'1 wingspan and outstanding vert is more than enough. I just hope he is strong too.

Borosai
02-28-2009, 10:00 AM
PMB would be a good guy to have in there to roam around the basket, cleaning up the boards, getting easy second-chance points, running the break, and maybe a little Parker-to-PMB oops (Paul-to-Chandler style). Hustle and easy baskets in the second team.

Marcus Bryant
02-28-2009, 10:04 AM
What should be no surprise is that the path for a Pops or a Gist to stick in SA begins on the defensive end. The Spurs do need a big who can step outside and defend the bigs with a perimeter game in this league.

Manufan909
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Gist will be that player. And did anyone see Pops near a big like Fab or KT, was he obviously shorter? Cuz I know his arms are longer. 6'10 don't mean shit with T-rex arms(ask the Red Rocket:lol)

Manufan909
02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Sean- Don't foul, we want to see a dunk...:depressed

Too much Spurs gets you dunk-deprived. Pops, Gist, Hill, Hairston, Ian are coming to the rescue in 09-10.

EricB
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Sean- Don't foul, we want to see a dunk...:depressed

Too much Spurs gets you dunk-deprived. Pops, Gist, Hill, Hairston, Ian are coming to the rescue in 09-10.

Root for another team then :rolleyes

all_heart
02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
the dude showed some promise last night, he got some easy points, blocked a couple shots, I hope he sticks around. Isn't this the type of player Spurs fans want on our team? He's not replacing TD or starting anything, besides what other bigs our waiting to join the team? So what's the big deal?

Taco
02-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I think the spurs should sign Pops for the rest of the season purely because he gives the spurs something they are lacking, but more importantly because he seems to be a fan favourite already. He hasn't accomplished anything too spectacular in his time as a spur, but it looks like everybody (at least in this forum) loves him. He can be a real energizer for the spurs.

The main reason for this post is for you to see a video of his dunks against Cleveland on youtube that I found that are worth checking out:
cueBM8b9WQU

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qss9c3.jpg

Thanks for the Youtube!!!:toast

DAF86
02-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Does he have a reliable jumper?

exstatic
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
So far, he's a ten day wonder doing well in garbage time. I'm not even interested in evaluating him until the Spurs show they have some future plans for him.

bigfan
02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Looked pretty nice in his short stint. Lets see him play in another game but Im gonna stay positive for now. He's not too big but seems to play hard, reminds me of Brandon Bass.

DarrinS
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Does he have a reliable jumper?

Who cares. It would nice to have a freakishly athletic semi-big to keep opponents defenses from cheating down. We have enough guys on offense who stand around the 3-point line waiting for their open j.

He also appears to be able to get boards and block shots. I think he could help the team. He certainly shows a lot of effort.

DAF86
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Who cares. It would nice to have a freakishly athletic semi-big to keep opponents defenses from cheating down. We have enough guys on offense who stand around the 3-point line waiting for their open j.

He also appears to be able to get boards and block shots. I think he could help the team. He certainly shows a lot of effort.

Well if he can't hit at least the mid-range jumper with regularity he won't be getting too much playing time from Pop.

DarrinS
02-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Well if he can't hit at least the mid-range jumper with regularity he won't be getting too much playing time from Pop.

It would be nice to have another player attack the rim besides Tony. Even Manu doesn't drive with regularity any more. There are plenty of points to be had in the paint, including garbage putbacks.

Also, having a guy this athletic would probably give your more offensive rebounds and give 2nd chance points for the guys who DO have a reliable jump shot. We weren't getting a lot of 2nd chance points in the first half of the Cavs game.

DarrinS
02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
It also appears that the guy can play some D.

bigfan
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Timmy
Kurt Thomas
Banzai
Parker
Manu

Yikes!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Because guys like Willis, Perdue, Nazr, etc. had such reliable shots when they were here...

Manufan909
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Root for another team then :rolleyes

It's called a joke, dumbass. Get a clue.:ihit