02-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Who is your favorite players?

BlackSwordsMan
02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
papi

spurspokesman
02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Who is your favorite players?
Not riding the wagon but my money is on pops and gist. I see promise. Ian is an ODEN CLONE.:lol

timaios
02-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Pops played a great 4th quarter vs Cavs scrubs and everybody here is going crazy.
It's a player full of promises, but let see him play against great players.
One concern is his height : 6'9, it's a great height for a SF in the NBA... not so much for a PF.
Ian Mahinmi is 6'11 and this team needs height, especially against the Lakers.

Maybe we should see the 4 players play with the Spurs before a poll like this.
Ian played 23min in 6 games almost 2 years ago and Gist never played in the NBA.

I like the 4 of them, they are athletic, fearless and hungry...
The FO is doing a really good job, that's for sure.

Marcus Bryant
02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Who is my favorite Spur who might make the rotation someday?

sonic21
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Ian, his career PER is really impressive

:hat

LockBeard
02-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Ian is a never will be.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm leaning toward Mahinmi just because of all the idiots around here that think he's a washed up bust at 22.

AFBlue
02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Gist...

Because he's the total package of character, hustle, athleticism, and skill. Right now he's good enough to unseat Mensa-Bonsu as the "energy" 4, and he's got enough potential to grow into the "long 3" combo forward that Pop has been looking for since god knows when.

Marcus Bryant
02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm leaning toward Mahinmi just because of all the idiots around here that think he's a washed up bust at 22.

No doubt. Meanwhile Mensah-Bonsu is headed to Springfield.

Remember when Derrick Dial was the second coming? That's what this crap is like. Better yet, Sean Higgins.

NFGIII
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Remember when Derrick Dial was the second coming? That's what this crap is like. Better yet, Sean Higgins.

:tu

Typical Spurs reaction to one game against scrubs. Shows promise but lets see how he handles the league on a consistent basis. There was a reason that Dallas let him go- ya think?

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Ian

Austin_Toros
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Pops racking in the votes!

lol. But you have to admit, it is understandable that so many people have become impatient. Especially when you think that this was finally the season he could contribute.

Hemotivo
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM
dwayne jones and hairston

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2009, 06:12 PM
none of them have played enough for me to pick..

Hairston's the only one that has played well against other NBA rotation players so far..he even held his own last night vs. Lebron..

tomtom
02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Hairston has shown great signs, really loved his d on lebron. I'm still hopeful for Ian and still too early for Pops but showed some nice signs. No idea about Gist since I havent seen him play

ace3g
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/51/fullj.523ee8f775016a639b3f4694562ada32/523ee8f775016a639b3f4694562ada32-getty-82989542jm026_cavs_spurs.jpg

Flux451
02-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Hairston looks very promising to fit in our system. I think the SF position has the needs to fill in the near future w/ Bowen and Finely getting old and Ime not working out as much as expected.

xellos88330
02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I cant vote. There should be an option that says "All of the above".

I like those guys. I think they all have different skill sets that can be used very effectively in the Spurs system.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 07:17 PM

Or Stephen Jackson, or Manu Ginobili, or Bruce Bowen, or Roger Mason.

AFBlue
02-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Wow, I guess it's truly "out of sight, out of mind" with this crowd. Just this past summer everyone was going nuts over the activity and athleticism of one James Gist(!), but now he gets by far the fewest votes in this poll....what gives?

Gist flashed the hops and hustle during summer league play that had the Spurs second-guessing their plan to send him overseas for a year. But, in the end they asked him to go and he went (speaks to character)....where he is continuing to improve his game. Point in fact, he's averaging 42% on his threes and taking over 2 a game.

Gist and the Spurs know he's going to be most effective if he can improve his perimeter game and grow into the combo forward. So far, those efforts look like they're paying off.

Yet, people are hyping an "energy player" w/ limited skill, a player that can't seem to shake the injury bug, and another all-around skill player trying to learn a new position (who got the second lowest votes!). I don't get it.

smeagol
02-28-2009, 08:13 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/51/fullj.523ee8f775016a639b3f4694562ada32/523ee8f775016a639b3f4694562ada32-getty-82989542jm026_cavs_spurs.jpg

Stephen Jackson is back with the Spurs?

Marcus Bryant
02-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Or Stephen Jackson, or Manu Ginobili, or Bruce Bowen, or Roger Mason.

Jack, Bruce and Mason each had at least spent a full season or two in the league before joining the Spurs. Manu had proven himself to be at the top of European basketball (though not in Greece).

The Truth #6
02-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Pops' character will probably decide his fate on the team more than anything else. Obviously he has the physical tools. I think he was correct (not arrogant) when he said he thinks he can help this team. We don't need another unathletic though crafty post player. We actually do need someone who can rebound, block shots and intimidate in the lane.

Only time will tell if Pops fits into the Spurs system and their vision for its players.

If Pops, Ian, Hairston, and Gist all show promise then why not celebrate that and actually develop them? We have to look to the future at some point. Early in the season Parker said this might be the last chance for a title with the current lineup. Assuming that's true, I would imagine some sort of shakeup/youth movement is neccessary in the offseason.

I don't see a problem with any of this. At least we have some intriguing options.

BWS-1994
03-01-2009, 12:32 AM

I like those guys. I think they all have different skill sets that can be used very effectively in the Spurs system.

:toast

Obstructed_View
03-01-2009, 12:49 AM

FYI, it's a multiple choice poll. I voted for all of them.

mazerrackham
03-01-2009, 01:10 AM

dangit, I should have tried that :lol

Spursmania
03-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Wow, I guess it's truly "out of sight, out of mind" with this crowd. Just this past summer everyone was going nuts over the activity and athleticism of one James Gist(!), but now he gets by far the fewest votes in this poll....what gives?

Gist flashed the hops and hustle during summer league play that had the Spurs second-guessing their plan to send him overseas for a year. But, in the end they asked him to go and he went (speaks to character)....where he is continuing to improve his game. Point in fact, he's averaging 42% on his threes and taking over 2 a game.

Gist and the Spurs know he's going to be most effective if he can improve his perimeter game and grow into the combo forward. So far, those efforts look like they're paying off.

Yet, people are hyping an "energy player" w/ limited skill, a player that can't seem to shake the injury bug, and another all-around skill player trying to learn a new position (who got the second lowest votes!). I don't get it.

Must be the old adage, "what have you done for me lately" . I personally haven't seen gist play that much-just a few clips here and there.:hat

BWS-1994
03-01-2009, 02:38 AM

dangit, I should have tried that :lol

+1... to Ian, Pops, Gist and Hairston :flag:

nate0409
03-01-2009, 08:12 AM
after fridays night game pops became my fav

rascal
03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Gist has the most upside.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Camp next year is going to be awesome.

sexinthatsx
03-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Pops played a great 4th quarter vs Cavs scrubs and everybody here is going crazy.
It's a player full of promises, but let see him play against great players.
One concern is his height : 6'9, it's a great height for a SF in the NBA... not so much for a PF.
Ian Mahinmi is 6'11 and this team needs height, especially against the Lakers.

Maybe we should see the 4 players play with the Spurs before a poll like this.
Ian played 23min in 6 games almost 2 years ago and Gist never played in the NBA.

I like the 4 of them, they are athletic, fearless and hungry...
The FO is doing a really good job, that's for sure.

Umm.... not scrubs... Pops made a poster out of Big Z... not a scrub C, but big Z

bigdog
03-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Gist has the most upside.

True. As much as I like Pops, Gist is pretty much just like Pops, but with a somewhat decent outside game.

mountainballer
03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
in case someone needs some good vibes....
James Gist last night delivered the best game of his European career in a win of Biella against Montegranaro. (92-74)
in just 24 minutes he had 24 points (9-13 FG, 2-3 3s), 13 rebounds and 4 steals.
this win was important for Biella in many aspects. Montegranaro is a rival for the 8th PO spot. for the first time this season, Biella is now on a PO spot. (next two games are against bad teams, so they could build some momentum)

FAQ: yes, a 24+13 in 24 minutes game in the Italian league is to rate higher than a 39+18 in 47 minutes in the D-league.

AFBlue
03-02-2009, 08:21 AM
in case someone needs some good vibes....
James Gist last night delivered the best game of his European career in a win of Biella against Montegranaro. (92-74)
in just 24 minutes he had 24 points (9-13 FG, 2-3 3s), 13 rebounds and 4 steals.
this win was important for Biella in many aspects. Montegranaro is a rival for the 8th PO spot. for the first time this season, Biella is now on a PO spot. (next two games are against bad teams, so they could build some momentum)

FAQ: yes, a 24+13 in 24 minutes game in the Italian league is to rate higher than a 39+18 in 47 minutes in the D-league.

James Gist!

m33p0
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Camp next year is going to be awesome.
you got that right.:toast
holy crap. after years of being denied an athletic big, we now have 4 to pick and choose from.

hopefully, ian won't turn into an udoka just because he's been immersed in the system longer. he, himself, has yet to prove he belongs. hairston holds a lot of freaking promise. gist... have to see him play first. pops have to show more effort on defense.

can't wait for training camp. :lol

Keepin' it real
03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
I vote for none. Ian's always injured ... can't help the Spurs that way. I've never seen Gist play a regular season game. Hairston has been horribly ineffective when I've watched him play. And Pops has only had a couple of decent moments in a couple of games, but people are already wetting their pants. Please. All in all, this quartet is insignificant so far.

Ask me again if any of them make consistent and significant contributions to the team on the court.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I guess you need to watch Hairston play more..there's a reason Pop has been playing him against other rotation players, even against Lebron James..

Keepin' it real
03-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I guess you need to watch Hairston play more..there's a reason Pop has been playing him against other rotation players, even against Lebron James..

Sorry HarlemHeat37, much to the chagrin of my wife, I've watched almost all the Spurs games this season. Hairston does give good effort. I applaud that. But all in all, I've mostly seen Hairston shoot bricks while generally look out of his element. I hope he succeeds but am not expecting anything based on what I've seen so far.

Maybe he's making all his good plays when I'm going to the can. It's possible. I'm getting older, after all.