PDA

View Full Version : Still a chance for Joe Smith?

Kindergarten Cop
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I realize that with Pops playing so well last night, some will feel that we no longer need a player like Smith - but I would feel MUCH more comfortable entering the playoffs with Smith playing the 4/5. He would likely choose Cleveland as a first destination if he is cut loose now that Wallace is injured, but I believe that we would still be considered. Anyways, the deadline is tomorrow night so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Note: I thought that the Spurs had more of the MLE left than what is stated in the article. Can anyone clarify?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090228-0301

The most San Antonio could offer is $1,484,029 for the rest of the season.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
What they don't have is a roster spot. Figure out a way to buy out Udoka and I'm all for bringing Joe in.

exstatic
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I realize that with Pops playing so well last night, some will feel that we no longer need a player like Smith - but I would feel MUCH more comfortable entering the playoffs with Smith playing the 4/5. He would likely choose Cleveland as a first destination if he is cut loose now that Wallace is injured, but I believe that we would still be considered. Anyways, the deadline is tomorrow night so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Note: I thought that the Spurs had more of the MLE left than what is stated in the article. Can anyone clarify?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090228-0301

The most San Antonio could offer is $1,484,029 for the rest of the season.
That's the pro-rated amount of the salary left after they signed Mason last summer.

exstatic
02-28-2009, 10:52 AM
What they don't have is a roster spot. Figure out a way to buy out Udoka and I'm all for bringing Joe in.

That's a problem that takes care of itself in 8 days. As long a Smith would be bought out and released before tomorrow, a team could sign him anytime before the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
That's a problem that takes care of itself in 8 days. As long a Smith would be bought out and released before tomorrow, a team could sign him anytime before the playoffs.

I wouldn't give him PMB's spot. I'd give him Udoka's, though.

sananspursfan21
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM

yah, bye bye ime, sorry things didn't work out

duncan228
02-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Joe Smith: Seeking Buyout From Thunder (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-oemitheekinguyoutrom&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Update: Several league sources said Friday that Smith and his agent are seeking a buyout from the Thunder, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

Recommendation: Smith’s own statements belie such a notion, but he will be a hot commodity should he be released. The Cavaliers have a big need for him after losing Ben Wallace to a broken leg.

duncan228
02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers, Joe Smith reunion still possible (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/02/cleveland_cavaliers_joe_smith.html)
by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter

SAN ANTONIO -- As they search everywhere possible, there is a stark reality the Cavaliers have to deal with as they look for some way to plug the hole left by Ben Wallace's broken leg.

The list of realistic options is short.

In fact, there appears to be just one player who could really help the Cavs in a rotation role and that is Joe Smith. The Joe Smith who is still a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Several league sources said Friday that Smith and his agent, Dan Fegan, have been talking to the Thunder about securing a buyout. The Cavs have expressed interest, setting up what could be intensifying negotiations ahead of Sunday's midnight deadline for players to be released and still be eligible to join playoff rosters.

But with many factors at play, including the public positions on the matter of Smith and Thunder coach Scott Brooks, it is far from a sure thing.

There are other players available who the Cavs could add to their roster, but at the moment none seem to be more than third-string players or emergency reserves. Lorenzen Wright has already secured that role for the Cavs.

The Cavs had some interest earlier in the season in veteran Austin Croshere, but he has been cut three times this season. Earl Barron, who played for the Miami Heat last season and played in Europe earlier this season, is also an option but would be a question mark.

There have been some rumors than Rasho Nesterovic would seek a buyout from the Pacers but a league source said that is not going to happen.

So unless there is a surprise release in the league elsewhere, the Cavs are pretty much banking on Smith to get free.

"Hopefully something comes up where we can add another big because we could use it," LeBron James said. "In the playoffs you need a lot of big bodies."

In the short term, the Cavs will rework their rotation and essentially turn James into a power forward for much longer stretches. This was hard to do when Zydrunas Ilgauskas was out with an injury earlier in the season because Delonte West was also missing and James was more needed on the perimeter.

So James and Cavs coach Mike Brown are formulating plans to use James more in the post in offensive sets and perhaps guarding opposing big men in the trenches as well.

"I'm going to have to," James said. "I've got to help our bigs out."

baseline bum
02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm don't think he's an upgrade over Thomas or Oberto, and certainly not over Bonner. I'd rather leave that roster spot for Pops to show what he can do over the next couple of weeks, and perhaps earn a spot on the playoff roster.

exstatic
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM

Not in these economic times. The Spurs owe Ime about $500K for the rest of the season, versus 8 days of minimum salary for PMB. PMB is kind of a smaller version of Ian, anyway.

From a basketball standpoint, I agree with you. I just don't see the Spurs cutting a wing making another $500K this year versus a big making 8 days of minimum to sign another big.

Spurs Brazil
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm don't think he's an upgrade over Thomas or Oberto, and certainly not over Bonner. I'd rather leave that roster spot for Pops to show what he can do over the next couple of weeks, and perhaps earn a spot on the playoff roster.

:tu

baseline bum
02-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Crap. I've been hanging around ducks and kill bill pana too long I think.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Not in these economic times. The Spurs owe Ime about $500K for the rest of the season, versus 8 days of minimum salary for PMB. PMB is kind of a smaller version of Ian, anyway.

Yeah but Ime sucks and has done so for about ten months now. The Spurs don't get any salary relief for getting rid of him, so all he is now is a roster albatross. Nobody's probably going anywhere, and the Spurs wouldn't buy Ime out and put him on the street. I'm just saying I would. You don't sacrifice a needed roster spot just because you signed a shit player to a shit contract.

Spursmania
02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Ime has not played well all year. His confidence is shot. We need to cut him loose.

tav1
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM

From a basketball standpoint, I agree with you. I just don't see the Spurs cutting a wing making another $500K this year versus a big making 8 days of minimum to sign another big.

Setting aside the financial considerations...

I'm not sure that I agree about Mensah-Bonsu being a smaller version of Mahinmi. From what I've seen, they are different players. In the event that each is one next year's roster, I think that each will bring something unique to the table.

It's early, but Pops is not far from his ceiling. On a good team he is a 4th or 5th big. As a 5th big, he could be very good for the Spurs. What he brings--high energy, rebounding, shot blocking, an ability to push the tempo--could be utilized in short spurts to create match up problems or infuse life into the time. Maybe this means 10 minutes a game, give or take. Perhaps I'm wrong, but to my mind Mahinmi has a much higher ceiling, if only he could stay healthy. Assuming health, I could see him playing 25-30 minutes a game in the foreseeable future.

m33p0
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
i think it's a little bit too late in the season to bring in a new guy and integrate him into the system. given, bonsu's knowledge of the spurs' system, it would be more beneficial to give him ime's spot.

duncan228
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Joe Smith: Possible Buyout (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-oemithossibleuyout&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Update: Multiple league sources said Saturday that Smith and Oklahoma City are making progress toward a buyout, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

Recommendation: According to the sources, there is a favorable chance the sides will come to an agreement by Sunday night’s midnight waiver deadline. It has also become clear that the Cavaliers are Smith’s top choice. If released by the end of day Sunday, Smith can qualify for the postseason. The sticking point in the talks appears to be how much Oklahoma City is willing to pay Smith to buy him out.