PDA

View Full Version : Spurs reached out to Zo

Spurs Brazil
02-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Throw San Antonio on the list of teams that reached out to Alonzo Mourning to see if there was any chance of luring him out of retirement, after Zo announced in January that he would not be attempting to come back from last season's gruesome leg injuries in Miami.

Word is that the Spurs, though, quickly received the same polite no that the Celtics got when they tried to tempt Mourning with the idea of a short-term comeback on a title-contending team. As with its attempts in vain to lobby P.J. Brown to re-consider his retirement, Boston was informed that Zo, at 38, is no longer willing to risk his long-term health.

After rebounding from his longstanding kidney trouble to help Miami win a championship in 2006, Mourning tore a tendon in his right knee as well as a quadriceps muscle playing for the Heat in December 2007 and hasn't played since.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090228-0301

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Good. I'd hate to have to stop rooting for the Spurs this late in the game.

Indazone
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Zo on the Spurs? That would be like the Spurs having Kevin Willis again only with one good leg and one kidney.

TwelveGs210
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
one good leg, one good kidney, but 2 normal adult sized arms.

lefty
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
one good leg, one good kidney, but 2 normal adult sized arms.

Still much better than 2 healthy Obertos

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Zo isn't like Willis at all..he's still one of the better shot blockers in the NBA, he's one of the strongest guys in the NBA, he's intimidating, and he's a great locker room presence..

I said he was our best pickup option earlier in the season, but you can't blame him for retiring due to his health..

sananspursfan21
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
for the remainder of the season, that'd be great for the defense

Obstructed_View
02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Zo isn't like Willis at all..he's still one of the better shot blockers in the NBA, he's one of the strongest guys in the NBA, he's intimidating, and he's a great locker room presence..

You're describing Willis, right?

Spursmania
02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I wish the Spurs had been able to pull a big man out of somewhere. We can fantasize about these new young prospects. But for the here and now, we need a real NBA big. And, we haven't gotten one yet.

02-28-2009, 07:15 PM
this kind of alarms me. if the spurs are reaching out to even alonzo mourning, then they must really believe they have little chance to beat the lakers.

mystargtr34
02-28-2009, 07:18 PM
You're describing Willis, right?

All that screaming and chest pounding got to you over the years :lol. He's a tool on the court most of the time, but he would have been an awesome pickup.