PDA

View Full Version : Landry vs Pops

Indazone
02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Carl Landry

Vfo8YPgEltw

Pops Mensa-Bonsu

cueBM8b9WQU

Similar? Both are energizer bunnies off the bench. Both play above the rim. Will Pops play with consistency in future games with displays of explosiveness like this?

Rockets are very high on Landry and Morey said his upside is very high. Will Bonsu reach this level?

sribb43
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Leave Pops open for anything outside of the paint and he will brick it and that includes the FT line

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 01:50 PM
There's nothing similar about their games......I don't even like that highlight video of Landry. It leads you to believe that he's nothing but a dunker. What it doesn't show is his excellent mid range jumper and his improved post up game.

Also it's a little too early to compare a player who played good in garbage time when the other team already packed in a win to a player who performed down the stretch in clutch situations. Let's see if Pops can string good performances together, before we compare him to Carl Landry. Landry right now is a MUCH better player.

Speaking of Carl Landry, I can't wait till he gets back, hopefully he plays tonight......once he's back our bench will be solidified and we'll be a even better team.

sook
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Landry is a very good player at this point...

Your talking about someone that had no shooting mechanics last season and can knock down the midrange over 50% of the time now, and he's working on his 3

Pelicans78
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Landry has better instinct. Pops looks like a project.

wireonfire
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Landry is a very good player at this point...

Your talking about someone that had no shooting mechanics last season and can knock down the midrange over 50% of the time now, and he's working on his 3

Landry only significantly improved his shooting this year while his rebounding has regressed. He is still a poor defender. He should work on his D instead of on his offense. It is sad that we have to use Chuck Hayes so often.

sook
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Landry only significantly improved his shooting this year while his rebounding has regressed. He is still a poor defender. He should work on his D instead of on his offense. It is sad that we have to use Chuck Hayes so often.

Yea, forgot to mention that, his D is atrocious!

dirk4mvp
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Bass > boh

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Bass > boh

Not really...it was arguable last season, but this season Bass has regressed while Landry picked right up where he left off. This season Landry has solidified himself as > than Bass.

Also Landry didn't "improve on his jumpshot".....that jumpshot was always there from his rookie seaon on, he just didn't get many plays ran for him since he was a 2nd round rookie breaking into the rotation of a veteran team. Bill Worrell would take note to mention how Landry had a jumper last season and even said he was a better shooter than Scola was last season. Scola is the one who improved his jumper, Landry just worked on adding range to the one he already had.

and another thing, it's not a knock against Landry that he's not a better post defender than Hayes......you could make a argument that Hayes is a better defender than Yao and right up there with Battier and Artest as far as defensive I.Q. The guy is so underrated in that department (even by alot of Rockets fans) that it isn't even funny.

sook
Bass > boh

Yea i think so at this point, Bass is built like a freak of nature

sook
Not really...it was arguable last season, but this season Bass has regressed while Landry picked right up where he left off.

Also Landry didn't "improve on his jumpshot".....that jumpshot was always there from his rookie seaon on, he just didn't get many plays ran for him since he was a 2nd round rookie breaking into the rotation of a veteran team. Bill Worrell would take note to mention how Landry had a jumper last season and even said he was a better shooter than Scola was last season. Scola is the one who improved his jumper, Landry just worked on adding range to the one he already had.

i would rather have bass.

dirk4mvp
02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea i think so at this point, Bass is built like a freak of nature

If Bass had a little bit higher basketball i.q. and was a few inches taller, he probably would've been pretty special.

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
i would rather have bass.

Umm why....he scores less, is less efficient, doesn't finish around the rim like Landry, and doesn't have the shooting touch of Landry.

There isn't one aspect of his game where he's clearly better. Landry is clearly the better player....he's putting up better #s while having to play behind Scola. Landry would be putting up even better #s for Dallas, because they have no better options to take minutes from him (like Houston has.)

robbie380
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Yea, forgot to mention that, his D is atrocious!

seriously? what carl landry are you watching?

he isn't a chuck hayes level defender but by no means is his defense atrocious. landry is a solid defender.

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Seriously has anybody bothered to take a look at the #s of Landry and Bass....Landry beats him in about every damn category while playing behind Scola.

Take Bass, I'll take the better player.

sook
02-28-2009, 02:21 PM
seriously? what carl landry are you watching?

Dude Landry is terrible on D!

Dude Landry is next to clueless when it comes to D.

You know how late he is on his defensive assignments? When he's in there without Yao or Scola we always give up wide open dunks. He needs to get better at that.

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Dude Landry is terrible on D!

Dude Landry is next to clueless when it comes to D.

You know how late he is on his defensive assignments? When he's in there without Yao or Scola we always give up wide open dunks. He needs to get better at that.

No he's not..... He's a willing defender, is he Battier or Chuck Hayes..no, but to try to paint him as a absolute shitty defender is a joke. He's somewhere inbetween. Hell his damn defense won us a playoff game last season and it's not like Bass is a lockdown defender in his own right. They are basically about the same on defense.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Pops would be better in team like Suns, Knicks, Warriors. Other then that Landry is better because he has nice mid range jump shot. Of course Landry can improve on D.

Scola is better than both and better than Bass also.

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Scola is better than both and better than Bass also.

Obviously......the guy is probably the most underrated player in the league and could be close to a 20 & 10 player as a main option/big on another team. He's been the most consistent player on Houston's squad this season.

sook
02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Obviously......the guy is probably the most underrated player in the league and could be close to a 20 & 10 player as a main option/big on another team. He's been the most consistent player on Houston's squad this season.

yea completely agree, more often than not Scola is our best player in games, even though Yao is the best player on the team.

Scola just has this thing where he does everything at the right time, the game vs the blazers he has HUGE offensive rebounds in the 4th, hes a guy we can really count on :)

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
yea completely agree, more often than not Scola is our best player in games, even though Yao is the best player on the team.

Scola just has this thing where he does everything at the right time, the game vs the blazers he has HUGE offensive rebounds in the 4th, hes a guy we can really count on :)

Don't count on him being clutch in playoffs. It is 50/50 with him. In Argentina national team over years he = clutch. But over years with TAU in Euroleague he was known as one of biggest chokers ever.

Indazone
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Landry is the future. Scola will most likely go back to Europe when his contract is up.

peskypesky
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Pops kicks ass and will take the Spurs to the Promised Land. Well, at least I hope so. He looked very good in that first game, but only time will tell. Everyone declaring him a "project" or a "savior" or whatever are all jumping the gun and making pronouncements with no data.

sook
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Landry is the future. Scola will most likely go back to Europe when his contract is up.

not if we throw a max contract at him! :)

mogrovejo
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Pretty ridiculous comparison. Landry by far. Pops is faster runnig the floor and the better dunker.

Tmac&Luther
02-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Don't count on him being clutch in playoffs. It is 50/50 with him. In Argentina national team over years he = clutch. But over years with TAU in Euroleague he was known as one of biggest chokers ever.

Scola was nails in last year's playoffs.....he completely took Boozer out of the series, while elevating and stepping up his own game.

BlackSwordsMan
02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
pops for scola?
deal

mystargtr34
02-28-2009, 08:27 PM

:lol

mystargtr34
02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Landry and Bass are both clearly better than Pops right now. But i like what i saw, both in the D-League and last night.

Kai
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM

This really makes you look like Kill Bill Pana. Why do you think that? Have you ever heard him say anything like that? Don't just assume something that would be very surprising if it were to happen.

Indazone
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok, point well taken. But the reason that I say this is because the NBA is lowering their max cap and the economics favor Europe. I may be wrong though because the currencies and economic conditions are fluid and everyone around the world is taking it on the chin right now.

dirk4mvp
03-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Saying that ugly motherfucker could avg 20 and 10 as a main option is about like saying Yao Ming doesn't get tired in the pre game lay-up line.

wireonfire
03-01-2009, 05:04 AM

Landry is a 6'7 PF with short wingspan. He can't create for himself and sometimes clueless on defense. No way he is the future.

mogrovejo
03-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Landry is a pereniall backup. A good one, but that's all. I don't see Scola coming back in the near future.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
This really makes you look like Kill Bill Pana. Why do you think that? Have you ever heard him say anything like that? Don't just assume something that would be very surprising if it were to happen.

He has a standing offer of 3 years $30 millions from PAO as soon as he is free agent. You really think Rockets will offer the same?

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 12:40 AM
:lol

Saying that ugly motherfucker could avg 20 and 10 as a main option is about like saying Yao Ming doesn't get tired in the pre game lay-up line.

What's so funny about what I said.......it's the truth. Scola would be close to a 20 & 10 player on another team as the main big/main option in the post.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Landry is a pereniall backup. A good one, but that's all. I don't see Scola coming back in the near future.

Landry is a starter on alot of teams in this league, he's not a "perinial backup". Landry > Bass > Pops.

Oh BTW, Scolandry went off for 42 points, 22 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots tonight.

Kai
03-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Millsap > Landry > Bass >>> Pops

mystargtr34
03-04-2009, 06:05 AM
What's so funny about what I said.......it's the truth. Scola would be close to a 20 & 10 player on another team as the main big/main option in the post.

Scola gets alot of his points of broken plays and defensive attention to Yao. As soon as he becomes the main option, the oppositions best post defender gets moved on to him, and defenses are geared towards him.

Scola is a fine player. But he would struggle mightily as the number 1 option.

Dont become an Allanon, and multiply a guys number by 1.5 if he was a main option - the NBA doesnt work like that. There is a reason he doesnt get more touches, or fed the ball more. Or asked to go Iso, or have an offense run through him.

Completely different.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Scola gets alot of his points of broken plays and defensive attention to Yao. As soon as he becomes the main option, the oppositions best post defender gets moved on to him, and defenses are geared towards him.

Scola is a fine player. But he would struggle mightily as the number 1 option.

Dont become an Allanon, and multiply a guys number by 1.5 if he was a main option - the NBA doesnt work like that. There is a reason he doesnt get more touches, or fed the ball more. Or asked to go Iso, or have an offense run through him.

Completely different.

You obviously haven't watched Scola play enough......he's not just a guy who scores on broken plays. He has a well defined post game with multiple post moves. (a better post game than most players in the league). He also has a nice jumper as well. This is a guy who was the main option on his Olympic team and was the 2nd highest scorer in the Olympics with defenses "geared to stop him", especially when Ginobili went down. He tore U.S.A. a new one with the defense geared to stop him.

Like I said before the guy would be close to a 20 & 10 player on another team as the main big/option down low. Probably about a 17 or 18 & 12 player.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Scola is more like 15/10 player in NBA if he is featured more. Not 20/10 I think. This is a little too much.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Scola is more like 15/10 player in NBA if he is featured more. Not 20/10 I think. This is a little too much.

He's pretty much a 15 and 10 player right now. That's about what he's averaging since the calender flipped over.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
He's prett much a 15 and 10 player right now.

You exaggerate.

Maybe at most 18/10. 20/10 is not possible for him IMO to average this for whole NBA season. he is a great player but he was never best player in Europe. best player in Spain and best PF in Europe for a time but never best player in Europe.

I do not think player that was not even best player in Europe can ever have 20/10 in NBA for whole season unless he was player that left for NBA very early when he is very young before he was establish in Europe. Not like Scola who was play there even in prime of career.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
You exaggerate.

Maybe at most 18/10. 20/10 is not possible for him IMO to average this for whole NBA season. he is a great player but he was never best player in Europe. best player in Spain and best PF in Europe for a time but never best player in Europe.

I do not think player that was not even best player in Europe can ever have 20/10 in NBA for whole season unless he was player that left for NBA very early when he is very young before he was establish in Europe. Not like Scola who was play there even in prime of career.

18/10 would be close to a 20/10 player would it not? I suggest you go back and read what I originally wrote.......thanks for agreeing with me. :rolleyes

Another thing, I don't care what he did in Europe.....I am watching what he's doing in the NBA and his game has transfered over nicely, he's coming into his own and is starting to get the respect from NBA officials.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
18/10 would be close to a 20/10 player would it not? I suggest you go back and read what I originally wrote.......that's for agreeing with me. :rolleyes

Another thing, I don't care what he did in Europe.....I am watching what he's doing in the NBA and his game has transfered over nicely, he's coming into his own.

He will never average 20/10 in an NBA season. You are dumbass. I have been watch him play for many more years than you.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
He will never average 20/10 in an NBA season. You are dumbass. I have been watch him play for many more years than you.

Again read what I wrote (especially before you call people a dumbass) dumbass.

and I don't give a flying fuck how long you watched him in Europe, he's not playing there anymore....he's playing in the NBA with different rules and he's doing great. I mean what did you do.....watch him on comcast. :lol

Indazone
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
How did this thread turn into a Scola thread? :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Spurs fans is still bitter they lost him.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Again read what I wrote (especially before you call people a dumbass) dumbass.

and I don't give a flying fuck how long you watched him in Europe, he's not playing there anymore....he's playing in the NBA with different rules and he's doing great. I mean what did you do.....watch him on comcast. :lol

It is harder to score and get rebounds in Euroleague than in NBA. So this is something you need to learn. But you are typical NBA fan that does not have the basic knowledge of this.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
It is harder to score and get rebounds in Euroleague than in NBA. So this is something you need to learn. But you are typical NBA fan that does not have the basic knowledge of this.

So it's harder to score in Euroleague than in the NBA..... Okay, so this hurts my opinion how??? :lol Wow maybe I should just say Scola can be a downright legit 20 & 10 player now. :lmao

Indazone
03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Can we now get back to the subject? What is Pops going to develop into? He has the jumping ability but I think Landry has a better perimeter and post game.

Tmac&Luther
03-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Can we now get back to the subject? What is Pops going to develop into? He has the jumping ability but I think Landry has a better perimeter and post game.

I don't know what he can develop into....He's only played in two games (I'm not counting the 1 min. he logged against Portland), the sample size is too small. We don't even know what kind of player he is yet.

jack sommersett
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Pops will develop into an all-star, possible a future HOF player, and the Spews will never get over the fact that they let him go.