PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Q & A With Tim Duncan

duncan228
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
From Cleveland.com

THE Q (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1235813655275451.xml&coll=2)
With Spurs forward/center Tim Duncan

Q: You're coming off your 11th All-Star Game. What does it feel like to play in that many?

A: Every year I'm shocked that I continue to be in the starting lineup. I truly mean that.

Q: What's your reaction to your former teammate David Robinson being selected as one of 16 finalists for the Hall of Fame?

A: Easy decision. I'm happy for him. What he has been through over the years, his career, how he has touched people on and off the basketball courts, what he has done, just a great guy and [I'm] glad that it's done for on his first try.

Q: What has he meant to you in your career?

A: Well, he has always been like a big brother to me, ever since Day One walking in there. He has always been my big brother on the court, showing me how things are done off the court, just being there for me.

Q: How did he help develop your game?

A: I think more than anything he helped me develop my game by being there, by being next to me, taking the pressure off me, allowing me to mature and become the player I could be on my own time instead of being forced in there in a situation where I'm the No. 1 pick and have to be the man right off the bat. It was a great situation for me.

- Mary Schmitt Boyer

NFGIII
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
From Cleveland.com

THE Q (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1235813655275451.xml&coll=2)
With Spurs forward/center Tim Duncan

Q: What has he meant to you in your career?

A: Well, he has always been like a big brother to me, ever since Day One walking in there. He has always been my big brother on the court, showing me how things are done off the court, just being there for me.

Q: How did he help develop your game?

A: I think more than anything he helped me develop my game by being there, by being next to me, taking the pressure off me, allowing me to mature and become the player I could be on my own time instead of being forced in there in a situation where I'm the No. 1 pick and have to be the man right off the bat. It was a great situation for me.

- Mary Schmitt Boyer

I think these two are significant in TD's development along with his relationship with Pop. Tim was incredibly lucky (as we were) to come here and get this type of environment to mature and learn. Just imagine the situation that he would have had to contend with if Boston had gotten that ping pong ball. All the pressure of that franchise would have been placed on his shoulders from the get go.

I've always thought that it is unfair of sport franchises to subject high draft picks to that kind of pressure. But it's a business and the "nature of the beast" so it is what it is. Sports is about winning now and the pressure placed on all involved is incredible. Unfortunately not all have the kind of character to be able to handle that kind of situation. But regardless of how I feel they get paid a tremendous amount of money to perform so they are well compemsated for the opportunity to "handle" this situation.

Flux451
02-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Watching the Twin Towers play was the greatest feeling a Spurs Fan could feel. I am glad to have seen the Spurs stagnation rise to a dominance with Duncan.