PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs offseason moves

chode_regulator
02-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I know it's already been mentioned but the Chiefs have made two moves now, one for an unproven qb and the other for an aging LB. I don't think I like these moves at all.
I guess once the cost comes out I'll have to re evaluate but I havent seen what the draft picks given up yet are. I thought the Chiefs did badass in last years draft and could have had another good one, I hope they don't give too much away.
I'm not real impressed with Vrabel for the sheer age factor. We already have enough old LB's on the team and that didn't work out so well last year.
And even though Cassel did well last year I still say he's unproven,yes I am aware of his numbers, and I was a fan of letting Thigpen continue to hold the reins.

BTW do the Chiefs still have to honor the 14 mil for Cassel? Article on espn says something about the Pats havent actually made the offer yet or something.
Also kinda funny that the team taht "gave" him his opportunity is now his new team

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Idk how Cassel is an unproven QB.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I'd imagine they're going to re-negotiate Cassell to a long-term deal.

If it's a 2nd round pick, then it's a great deal for KC AND the Pats, who now have three 2nd rounders.

monosylab1k
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
If it's a 2nd round pick only, that's a great deal for the Chiefs, but I'd say somewhat questionable for the Pats only because it really seems like they could get more than that for Cassel.

02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
The #33 and a 2010 conditional pick based on playing time is probably what they were targeting.

Still early, though. Remember, RW was supposed to be traded for a pair of 2nds.

monosylab1k
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Peter King is reporting that it's Cassel and Vrabel to the Chiefs for their 2nd rounder. There's no way that's true, the Patriots aren't that stupid. Pioli & Belichick are buddies and all, but there's no way Bill would give a conference opponent a gift like that.

02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Now it's being reported that it's Vrabel AND Cassell for a 2nd.

Is BB trying to make it too easy for Pioli?

chode_regulator
02-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Idk how Cassel is an unproven QB.

bc he has only been a starter for one season and was around what is admittedly an all star cast and perennial contender for the title for the last 8 years. thigpen had comparable numbers and though he only won one game, some of those losses were based on coaches decisions at the end of the game and could have been turned into wins.

btw seems many chiefs arent happy with the new coach and gm. ive probably seen alot of my favorite chiefs play their last game as a chief.

also i would have cut croyle over huard. seems the chiefs just cant admit the fucked up by drafting his decrepit ass.

monosylab1k
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
btw seems many chiefs arent happy with the new coach and gm. ive probably seen alot of my favorite chiefs play their last game as a chief.

I guess they were happy with losing then.

Pioli knows what he's doing.

chode_regulator
02-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Peter King is reporting that it's Cassel and Vrabel to the Chiefs for their 2nd rounder. There's no way that's true, the Patriots aren't that stupid. Pioli & Belichick are buddies and all, but there's no way Bill would give a conference opponent a gift like that.

that would be pretty unbelievable.

dirk4mvp
mono you didn't want Bernard Pollard?

It's been confirmed.

Pioli and KC better send a Thank You! gift basket to BB.

chode_regulator
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I guess they were happy with losing then.

Pioli knows what he's doing.

yeah i bet they enjoyed it a lot. i was happy as hell they got that first win early on so they didnt have to compete with the lions most of the season

referring to this article though

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/1057650.html

monosylab1k
02-28-2009, 05:33 PM
It's been confirmed.

Pioli and KC better send a Thank You! gift basket to BB.

Yeah this was a "Good luck at your new job" present from Bill.

Either that, or the Patriots are just dumping salary to make a bigger splash later on (Peppers?). Either way, it's just not a very Belichick-like move.

IronMexican
02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Who do the Chief fans want in the draft? I am falling in love with Aaron Curry. He's the best OLB prospect I've ever seen.

kcplayboi_26
02-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Who do the Chief fans want in the draft? I am falling in love with Aaron Curry. He's the best OLB prospect I've ever seen.

ive been seeing Curry in most of the mock drafts ive been looking at. I wouldnt mind us getting Crabtree as well to pair up with D Bowe and GOnzalez

Pistons < Spurs
02-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I can't in all honesty say I really like this trade. I'm not as enamored with Cassel as others. I would have preferred just staying w/ Thigpen. We could have upgraded the line, and found him a second receiver to go with Bowe. And if he didn't improve, there's plenty of QB's coming out next year.

Cassell had a very nice season. But let's not forget it was on a team that only lost once the previous year. And that same team has 3 rings and 4 appearances in the SB in the last 8 years. It's quite a different thing than playing in KC. Maybe he's really that good, and becomes a top 10 QB. But just based on last year, I'm not convinced.

Gimme me back my second rounder! Could have drafted Max Unger, Heyward-Bey, Alex Mack, Mike Johnson, Duke Robinson, Loadholt ... etc etc

And the addition of Vrabel is useless. He'll be 34 when the season starts. I heard on ESPN radio that the Pats were actually going to cut him. Maybe he'll be good as a mentor and captain on a young defense for a season or 2 at most. But he's not going to bring much more to the table than that.

So far Pioli has done little to impress me. He's pissing off players with his aloofness and arrogance. He's been invisible since being hired. We've been silent in free agent discussions despite our $50M or so in cap space.

kcplayboi_26
02-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I can't in all honesty say I really like this trade. I'm not as enamored with Cassel as others. I would have preferred just staying w/ Thigpen. We could have upgraded the line, and found him a second receiver to go with Bowe. And if he didn't improve, there's plenty of QB's coming out next year.

Cassell had a very nice season. But let's not forget it was on a team that only lost once the previous year. And that same team has 3 rings and 4 appearances in the SB in the last 8 years. It's quite a different thing than playing in KC. Maybe he's really that good, and becomes a top 10 QB. But just based on last year, I'm not convinced.

Gimme me back my second rounder! Could have drafted Max Unger, Heyward-Bey, Alex Mack, Mike Johnson, Duke Robinson, Loadholt ... etc etc

And the addition of Vrabel is useless. He'll be 34 when the season starts. I heard on ESPN radio that the Pats were actually going to cut him. Maybe he'll be good as a mentor and captain on a young defense for a season or 2 at most. But he's not going to bring much more to the table than that.

So far Pioli has done little to impress me. He's pissing off players with his aloofness and arrogance. He's been invisible since being hired. We've been silent in free agent discussions despite our $50M or so in cap space.

50 mil cap space, i didnt knw that....what are we waiting for???

monosylab1k
02-28-2009, 09:10 PM

Why don't you take a second to remember that your team sucks and the old way of doing things obviously didn't work. Scott Pioli knows exactly what he's doing, he does things exactly the way Parcells & Belichick do things....it's fucking amazing that your team is a mess, he's here with a championship pedigree to fix things, and you haven't even given him a freakin month before you're all over his ass.

Pistons < Spurs
02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Why don't you take a second to remember that your team sucks and the old way of doing things obviously didn't work. Scott Pioli knows exactly what he's doing, he does things exactly the way Parcells & Belichick do things....it's fucking amazing that your team is a mess, he's here with a championship pedigree to fix things, and you haven't even given him a freakin month before you're all over his ass.

No one's shittin on him. I'm very happy we got Pioli this offseason. But I don't blindly put myself in the 'In Pioli We Trust' group. He's quite capable of fucking up. He's a HUGE upgrade for us from Carl Peterson. But I don't think he's anywhere near deserving the accolades many bestow upon him. He's now got a chance to mold all on his own. Hopefully he does well. Maybe once he does, I'll also label him a genius. But in the meantime, I'll watch what he does, and react to what he does according to my own opinion.

chode_regulator
02-28-2009, 11:38 PM
ive been seeing Curry in most of the mock drafts ive been looking at. I wouldnt mind us getting Crabtree as well to pair up with D Bowe and GOnzalez

Yeah i was thinking Crabtree as well, not to demean Bowe by any means but to compliment him would be awesome. Plus I don't know how much longer Gonzalez will be around. But our D def needs a boost, but so does our O line. Really as long as they don't draft a QB I dont care.

Pistons<Spurs pretty much sums it up. Nothing against Pioli but you shoudln't come in acting all high and mighty and pissing off the vets that run the locker room. Carl Peterson was a HORRIBLE GM and Pioli won't have to do much to be better than him, but don't come in with an attitude. Plus if Haley's own players are bad mouthing him, what does that show? Arguing with players on teh sideline in a win in the NFC champ game. I mean really?
PLUS what does Vrabel offer as a vet that Edwards didn't already?

Edit:Also would be badass if they drafted Orakpo.

TacoCabanaFajitas
03-01-2009, 01:28 AM
I was all for trading for a nice piece to upgrade our OL, letting Thigpen play another year, drafting a good pass rusher and adding a piece to the secondary via FA. I'm not really upset with the move but I'm not thrilled either. Hopefully we find someone willing to take LJ off our hands and we can let our young RB's get some touches

chode_regulator
03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
O line def needs improving. Especially if Waters is serious about leaving. Hopefully we can use some of that money we have wisely. Even though I still don't think we needed Vrabel or Cassel, it was shockingly little to give up. I was just a big fan of Thigpen but I guess the staff want to go another way. Whoever gets teh job it will be interesting to see how long they get to prove themself until the rotating starts happening. Last year was horrible with all the changing in and out of qb's.
We should def get rid of Croyle this offseason, one way or another.

K-State Spur
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Thigpen was absolutely terrible when playing in a conventional offense last year.

Almost all of his good numbers came out of the gimmicky pistol set.

If Haley wanted to do something a little more conventional, he couldn't bank on thigpen as his QB.

chode_regulator
03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Thigpen was absolutely terrible when playing in a conventional offense last year.

Almost all of his good numbers came out of the gimmicky pistol set.

If Haley wanted to do something a little more conventional, he couldn't bank on thigpen as his QB.

Regardless he threw for over 2500 yards and 21 total td's. Also he is able to make things happen with his legs. To be honest I don't know if Cassel is mobile or not but Thigpen is a viable dual threat.
I hope they make them compete instead of just handing it over to Cassel.

K-State Spur
03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Regardless he threw for over 2500 yards and 21 total td's. Also he is able to make things happen with his legs. To be honest I don't know if Cassel is mobile or not but Thigpen is a viable dual threat.
I hope they make them compete instead of just handing it over to Cassel.

it should also be noted that many of those numbers were accumulated after the games were already decided.

that said, i don't think that competition would be a bad idea. i think cassell will own every possible tiebreaker though.

TacoCabanaFajitas
03-01-2009, 10:58 PM
it should also be noted that many of those numbers were accumulated after the games were already decided.

that said, i don't think that competition would be a bad idea. i think cassell will own every possible tiebreaker though.

I dont know how many games he played in that were decided early. We got blown out by Buffalo but we were up in that game for a while, the Atlanta game we got pummeled in but that was his first game. The only other games that weren't close were the Tennessee and Carolina games. Other than that nothing I can remember had a lot of garbage time. This team is VERY close to actually contending IMO but that still means we're a couple of OL additions along with a pass rusher to get there. We had a young team last year that couldn't close well because of inexperience not because of a lack of talent and if we draft again like we did last year I can see this team going 7-9 this year and being in contention in 2010. Who knows, with the right FA pickup we could find ourselves battling for a playoff spot this year with as weak as our division is

K-State Spur
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I dont know how many games he played in that were decided early. We got blown out by Buffalo but we were up in that game for a while, the Atlanta game we got pummeled in but that was his first game. The only other games that weren't close were the Tennessee and Carolina games. Other than that nothing I can remember had a lot of garbage time. This team is VERY close to actually contending IMO but that still means we're a couple of OL additions along with a pass rusher to get there. We had a young team last year that couldn't close well because of inexperience not because of a lack of talent and if we draft again like we did last year I can see this team going 7-9 this year and being in contention in 2010. Who knows, with the right FA pickup we could find ourselves battling for a playoff spot this year with as weak as our division is

if the young DLs play to their talent, KC can get good in a hurry.

the problem is that there are major question marks up and down that defense. you can't really feel too good about any single unit (DL, LB, or Secondary). a switch to the 3-4 could set them back even farther since none of the current personnel (save Vrabel) are really great fits.

chode_regulator
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
if the young DLs play to their talent, KC can get good in a hurry.

the problem is that there are major question marks up and down that defense. you can't really feel too good about any single unit (DL, LB, or Secondary). a switch to the 3-4 could set them back even farther since none of the current personnel (save Vrabel) are really great fits.

Good point. One thing that worries me is they might do just that in order to make Vrabel a "better fit". I can't complain to much about the trade since it was just a second rounder, but we could have drafted curry, crabtree or orakpo all of whom would make our team better and then in the second round either drafted a OL a little earlier than predicted or a little later than predicted, depending on how draft plays out. Or take Pettigrew maybe to start grooming Gonzalez's replacement. Or even another D player. Not saying it's a mistake, especially since everyone is crying foul over the trade. We just could have had another bad ass draft like last year. Though it is still possible bc again it is just one pick we lost.
But say we had kept Thigpen as starter and not made trade, give him one more year under center, figuratively speaking, and see what happens. Then we could have bolstered our whole team that much better and drafted a QB next year if Thigpen doesn't work out. I mean to be honest the Chiefs aren't going to be worthy of a playoff spot next year, they might contend but the way our Division is right now thats not saying much.

Not to get into a dick measuring contest but I watched all but maybe three games last year and alot were close. I don't remember all teh specifics except for when I see those two blowouts against carolina and buff, but 7 of 14 losses were by 7 or less and another two were by 10. not exactly ass kicking. And if I remember right both those losses against SD could have been wins but Herm went balls to the wall, which I thought was awesome

K-State Spur
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
i think the move to the 3-4 would be independent of Vrabel.

i think there's a much greater chance that they traded for vrabel because they already intended to switch to the 3-4 as opposed to switching to the 3-4 because they traded for vrabel.

and you're correct, i was wrong about the games being decided. but it was still accumulated in a gimmicky offense that is about to be cast out the window.

chode_regulator
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
i think the move to the 3-4 would be independent of Vrabel.

i think there's a much greater chance that they traded for vrabel because they already intended to switch to the 3-4 as opposed to switching to the 3-4 because they traded for vrabel.

and you're correct, i was wrong about the games being decided. but it was still accumulated in a gimmicky offense that is about to be cast out the window.

True about the "gimmicky" offense, but so was teh wildcat or whatever you want to call it.
Also I beileve the Pats ran a lot of that bubble screen crap. I hope the Chiefs don't switch to that as I hate seeing that shit. Plus can Cassel throw the long ball or medium range well? That's an honest question as I try to avoid watching as much Pats football as possible

K-State Spur
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
True about the "gimmicky" offense, but so was teh wildcat or whatever you want to call it.
Also I beileve the Pats ran a lot of that bubble screen crap. I hope the Chiefs don't switch to that as I hate seeing that shit. Plus can Cassel throw the long ball or medium range well? That's an honest question as I try to avoid watching as much Pats football as possible

pretty mediocre arm. and by mediocre, i mean middle of the pack - not terrible.

chode_regulator
03-04-2009, 11:47 PM
That's the impression I've gotten from watching a little of the Pat's plus the word on the interweb. I still just don't get why not give Thigpen the chance, have him work in teh offseason on taking snaps under center, he's already proven he has a cannon. Save the second round pick and improve the team overall. Worry about a QB next year.
It looks like from the moves the Chiefs and Broncos are making that the ex Pats guys think that what works for NE will work anywhere. And at the expense of alienating the players on your CURRENT team in both cases