PDA

View Full Version : Suns, Spurs set to spar

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Suns, Spurs set to spar
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
As the cliché goes, "It’s just one game."
But it’s a big one, as the NBA’s two top teams meet tonight, when the San Antonio Spurs and Suns face off in Phoenix.

The Spurs (47-13) are a game ahead of the Suns (46-14), so the result could play a role in who claims the NBA’s best record and home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.

And that, in turn, could give the Suns their best shot at an NBA title. Nobody wants to give up home-court advantage to the Spurs, who — at 27-2 — seem headed for one of the best home records ever in the league.

A win also could give the Suns much needed confidence vs. the Spurs, who are 2-0 against them this season.

But those are an awful lot of "coulds." So it’s not surprising the Suns are downplaying the game’s significance.

After all, nobody knows for sure if the teams will even meet in the playoffs.

"That’s why you would never jeopardize anybody’s health for one game that may never come into play," said coach Mike D’Antoni.

"We’ll take care of ourselves first and worry about the playoff seeding later."

Fortunately, for the Suns, they’re healthy while the Spurs might miss Tim Duncan with an ankle injury. And the Spurs are well known for erring on the side of caution when it comes to Duncan’s health, although he played 30 minutes and scored 19 points Tuesday night against New Jersey.

The Suns have been bolstered by the much-improved play of their reserves, a process that started when Steve Nash missed three games with a sore hamstring and was punctuated with Nash’s return in a big win over Detroit last week.

"Maybe Steve getting hurt has helped us," D’Antoni said.

In Nash’s absence, Leandro Barbosa started to return to his level of last season, and Jim Jackson became more involved in the club’s ball movement, D’Antoni said.

"In the long run, that will be good for us," the Suns coach said.

The win over the Pistons also was big for the Suns, as their defense — a weakness for months — stiffened down the stretch and has been relatively effective since then.

Said Quentin Richardson, "Everybody says we’re not tough. But toughness isn’t fighting or cheap-shotting anybody. It’s being mentally strong enough to win the game."

Nash wonders whether the issue of gaining confidence by beating the Spurs at least once this season will mean anything in the end.

"I’ve seen the opposite," he said, pointing to one of his Dallas teams that was swept by Sacramento in the regular season then beat the Kings in a playoff series.

"In some ways, we have nothing to lose," he said. "No one expects us to beat them. So it’s not the end of the world if we don’t beat them (tonight)."

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 02:59 PM
In some ways, we have nothing to lose," he said. "No one expects us to beat them. So it’s not the end of the world if we don’t beat them (tonight)."

They do not sound tight at all.

ducks
03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
who cares they will get crushed

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 03:34 PM
who cares they will get crushed

:jack

johnny00
03-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Phoenix has to downplay this game to a certain extent.If they were to lose (as I think they will) it would destroy thier confidence as a club as to what they can acomplish come playoff time. No, this game should mean a lot more to the boys in Silver and Black. It is time for them to establish themselves as an INTIMIDATOR not only to the Suns but to the rest of the league. Hey who cares if everyone and thier mother picks the Spurs to win it all? You have to prove it to yourself and to ANY team that comes against you!!! Especially the upper echelon teams. It's called building a championship attitude, a swagger, it has to be developed through these type of games.

BigVee
03-09-2005, 03:39 PM
As an aside, interesting to some, not to others, this is the first game of the season where the Spurs are the underdog. Pho is favored by 4.5.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't know. I'm a little worried. I can't be there to give the Spurs their Chopped SPAM Karma against Phoenix.

I'll deliver the mojo long distance, telepathically. They'll be fine.

Solid D
03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Sup Chopper? You da man, dog.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Right back at ya D!

Rummpd
03-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Suns 4.5 point favorites. If Duncan plays that is absurd!!!!!