PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Horry As A Joe: A Likely End To The Run

duncan228
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Horry as a Joe: A likely end to the run (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Horry_as_a_Joe_A_likely_end_to_the_run.html)
Buck Harvey

Robert Horry is busy this week. He leaves Friday to join a team that includes Pacman Jones.

“Not bad money,” Horry said, laughing.

Not as bad as it sounds, either. The Spike TV reality show, “Pros vs. Joes,” has included the Pacmans, Cansecos and Rodmans. But among the past participants, according to the show's Web site, are those with normal brain patterns, such as Sean Elliott and Jerry Rice.

So Horry will be busy this week working a television gig, and he will be matched against a Joe.

When he should still be matched against a pro.

There's an outside chance Horry eventually will be. In fact, his chances increase starting tonight.

Any NBA player who is released by 11 p.m. can be added to another roster and then be eligible for the playoffs. Oklahoma City, for example, might come to a buyout compromise with veteran Joe Smith. The Thunder would have saved some money, and Smith would be free to sign with another team.

Cleveland could then sign Smith, and the Cavaliers have motivation. They just lost Ben Wallace.

Still, there aren't many of these situations out there. Once this deadline passes, then the options are even fewer. Only those players without ties to another team would be eligible for the playoffs.

Horry will be one, but he's not sure he would jump at any offer. “Pros vs. Joes” has nothing to do with this; surely Pacman would understand if Horry had to cancel.

Instead, Horry says he would be hesitant to join a roster he doesn't know, as well as one that has won and lost together for the majority of the season without him.

“I'm the type of person,” he said, “if Cleveland called me, I wouldn't feel right. The other guys would have already put in so much time, and I'd be coming in late, enjoying the fruits of their labor.”

And if the Spurs called?

“Oh, I'd play with them,” he said.

Upon retirement, Horry said he probably will consider himself a Laker at heart. He spent more time in Los Angeles, and he won three titles there.

But he also says that fourth quarter against Detroit in the 2005 Finals stands out above all others for him personally. Furthermore, he says he enjoyed his time in San Antonio the most.

“Great guys, funny guys. I loved being around them.”

Rejoining them now, he says, would be easy.

The Spurs' brass has continued to include Horry in the discussion during the season. And if Matt Bonner had failed, then who knows? Maybe Horry already would be back, extending his streak of never missing the playoffs.

But that's just one team. Why hasn't another called to check on Horry?

Horry says not having an agent probably hasn't helped. Still, he chooses to blame this on something else.

“The NBA is so trendy,” he said. “People get in their heads they want a youth movement. Back in the day, it was cool to have veterans. Now we're like dinosaurs.”

More likely, this is about a specific dinosaur. The Spurs would have lived with Horry being a step slower at 38, since he's such a smart player. But he shot less than 26 percent from 3-point range last season, his lowest total in a decade.

Bonner, in contrast, leads the league in that category.

Still, it's never been about how many Horry made. It's been when, and eventually Bonner will face the same test in Phoenix or Denver or Los Angeles this spring.

Horry often came through, and he did last season in Game 7 in New Orleans. Then he threw in two 3-pointers and helped the Spurs win.

How many bench players can do that, on the road, in a pressure game? How many contenders already have a 12th man with this kind of history?

The Hornets, coincidentally, don't.

But Horry has yet to hear from any team, at any time this season, despite having played in more NBA playoff games than anyone. And if today's deadline passes, and if not one general manager sees how someone with cunning and nerve could help in a pinch, then the career of one of the league's greatest playoff performers will head in another direction.

Toward Pacman.

Marcus Bryant
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
And if the Spurs called?

“Oh, I'd play with them,” he said.

Make the call, Pop.

gospursgojas
02-28-2009, 10:54 PM
I would have no problem with bringing Horry in.

Sorry Pops

urunobili
02-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I would have no problem with bringing Horry in.

Sorry Pops

ah ah I... dunno what to say as i like what i see from Pops but... I'd have Horry over him... he knows what's needed to win in the playoffs... he lives for that shit... :depressed

MarHill
02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
I thought he would have come back already this season. I guess the Spurs are going with the youth movement.

I know he had a terrible regular season last year but he came up big in game 7 in NO and his savvy and experience is a valuable asset and I wouldn't mind him being on the Spurs.

ploto
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
But Horry has yet to hear from any team, at any time this season, despite having played in more NBA playoff games than anyone.
Sorry, Buck, but I do not believe this is actually true. No team he wants to play for has called.

MannyIsGod
02-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Sorry - Horry was done last season and this season hasn't made him any younger. For better or for worse we live or die with Bonner at this point.

whottt
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
For worse we die with Bonner at this point.

Fixed

The Truth #6
02-28-2009, 11:50 PM
It took him all of last regular season to get in shape for the playoffs. How could we expect him to be ready for the playoffs this season at this point in the year?

Horry is not a difference maker. What little he has to offer would be offset by his inability to score, or quite possibly, defend, considering his present uncertain condition.

KT is enough of a wily vet to fill that role.

Bonner has been getting better and better all year, now hitting shots in big games and from a variety of spots on the court. Sorry, but I'll take my chances with Bonner. It's his time now.

Going with Horry would actually be somewhat reckless, considering we'd be putting high hopes in someone whose productivity is highly questionable.

benefactor
02-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Thank you Rob, now go away.

mazerrackham
03-01-2009, 12:08 AM
It took him all of last regular season to get in shape for the playoffs. How could we expect him to be ready for the playoffs this season at this point in the year?

Horry is not a difference maker. What little he has to offer would be offset by his inability to score, or quite possibly, defend, considering his present uncertain condition.

Bonner has been getting better and better all year, now hitting shots in big games and from a variety of spots on the court. Sorry, but I'll take my chances with Bonner. It's his time now.

Going with Horry would actually be somewhat reckless, considering we'd be putting high hopes in someone whose productivity is highly questionable.

Yeah, I agree completely, I think some of you forget just how terrible he played all of last year excepting a few shots in New Orleans. Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto sparingly should do the trick.

tomtom
03-01-2009, 12:53 AM
As much as I love Horry, he was already done last year and he certainly won't be able to do much this year

Spursmania
03-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Horry's done. He had a great caree, but it's over.

spursfaninla
03-01-2009, 01:05 AM
You that would take Rob back, you are living in the past. He was great for us for several years, and key in the playoffs many times...but the guy is done. Move on.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Fixed

That may well be, but the fact of the matter is we died with a shitty version of Horry last year and there is absolutely no reason to suspect he's gotten better by sitting out.

Ice009
03-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Sorry - Horry was done last season and this season hasn't made him any younger. For better or for worse we live or die with Bonner at this point.

Horry was actually starting to play well before the playoffs like usual then he got injured. I would have liked to have seen a healthy Horry going in that was in form before you go saying he's washed up.

And yes I would take him back right now.

Ice009
03-01-2009, 01:29 AM

Horry didn't have a training camp and he was also injured just before they playoffs. So both his chances to get in shape and form weren't there. he was at a disadvantage. I don't think he's get a fair shot here from a lot of the posters. If he had a training camp and didn't get injured just before the playoffs then I might agree that he shouldn't come back, but like I said he was at a disadvantage so I won't say that he is done because I don't think he is. I think he still has something to offer us. A fully healthy Spurs team with a healthy Horry I think we're good to go.

Right now would be his preseason and I think that will get him in form for the playoffs. Don't underestimate a fresh and healthy Horry.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2009, 01:31 AM
A fresh and healthy Horry is a great thing. Too bad its something that ceased to exist a few years back.

jcrod
03-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Horry is done. we need to go with what we have.

ulosturedge
03-01-2009, 01:49 AM
I liked Horry but you could tell he was on the decline in that last year with the Spurs. All he has left is his big shots. Everything else has deteriorated substantially. Also Roger Mason has been hitting big shots for us and Bonner is shooting incredibly well from the arc. It just wouldn't make sense to try and squeeze Horry into the mix. It was a good run Horry. Thanks for your part in Spurs history :O

Ice009
03-01-2009, 02:39 AM
I liked Horry but you could tell he was on the decline in that last year with the Spurs. All he has left is his big shots. Everything else has deteriorated substantially. Also Roger Mason has been hitting big shots for us and Bonner is shooting incredibly well from the arc. It just wouldn't make sense to try and squeeze Horry into the mix. It was a good run Horry. Thanks for your part in Spurs history :O

Well since you bring up Roger Mason Jr how good would it be to have Horry on the court with Roger?

Could you double team Tim, Tony or Manu with those other two on the court for a game winning shot? Horry would be a great decoy.

Capt Bringdown
03-01-2009, 03:05 AM
If PJ Brown could do it (coming out of retirement to make an improbable positive impact in a title run), I suppose Horry could to.

DespЏrado
03-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Horry is a hell of an insurance policy... I wouldn't add him just yet, give Pops a chance to earn his 2 ten days or more, then give Horry the call up. He can ride the pine and practice for a while, play him a few games before the playoffs and let him loose anytime the game is on the line.

I don't care if we do that until he's 49. As long as he can still jump for a rebound and shoot the long ball, I don't mind having his number there to call on if needed.

LakeShow
03-01-2009, 03:53 AM
Horry as a Joe: A likely end to the run (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Horry_as_a_Joe_A_likely_end_to_the_run.html)
Buck Harvey

Upon retirement, Horry said he probably will consider himself a Laker at heart. He spent more time in Los Angeles, and he won three titles there.

Once a Laker, always a Laker! I'm all for the Lakers signing Rob and letting him retire in a Lakers uniform. :toast

mazerrackham
03-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Once a Laker, always a Laker! I'm all for the Lakers signing Rob and letting him retire in a Lakers uniform. :toast

I'm all for y'all signing him too, y'all should let him take the big shots again this year and see how that works out for you...I don't think he has any more left in him.

50Bestspurever
03-01-2009, 04:32 AM
LOL at spur fan who blame last years spurs playoff performance on Robert (spurs wouldn't have beaten detroit without me) Horry. If Manu is healthy last year this article is never written. Horry can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Marcus Bryant
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I'd rather have an 87 year old Robert Horry as the 5th big than the summer movie starring Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

my2sons
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
You that would take Rob back, you are living in the past. He was great for us for several years, and key in the playoffs many times...but the guy is done. Move on.

you that are writing him off, what difference would he make over a ....jacque vaughan...they say he is already a coach, cut him and hire him back as a coach. What's the loss??????

bigfish22
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I spoke to Horry personally (no really I met him at a club here in San Diego). After making a plea for him to return, his exact line was "Hells naw, that part of my life is over".

And that's straight from the horse's mouth. Please prove me wrong Bob.

ATXSPUR
03-01-2009, 06:53 PM

But he also says that fourth quarter against Detroit in the 2005 Finals stands out above all others for him personally. Furthermore, he says he enjoyed his time in San Antonio the most.

:flag:

ATXSPUR
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Well since you bring up Roger Mason Jr how good would it be to have Horry on the court with Roger?

Could you double team Tim, Tony or Manu with those other two on the court for a game winning shot? Horry would be a great decoy. I know it's hard but just let it go...it's over. Trust me I had fun too and he is one of my all time favorites...but it's just not there anymore.

weebo
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
People here seem to forget that a guy like Horry would best help the Spurs with tough inside D and rebounding. We don't need another 6 10 guy chucking threes ( we have Bonner for that).

I have been saying this all along. This guy, despite all the wear and tear, has the know how on how to play the game. He would make a great 12th guy off the bench.

Horry>Pops

weebo
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I spoke to Horry personally (no really I met him at a club here in San Diego). After making a plea for him to return, his exact line was "Hells naw, that part of my life is over".

And that's straight from the horse's mouth. Please prove me wrong Bob.

If the Spurs knocked on Horry's door, waved a few $$$$ in his face, and offered him a chance at another ring, that 'hells naw' would quickly turn into a 'hells ya.'