PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Cavaliers - Feb. 27

timvp
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
After two improbable shorthanded victories, the well of good fortune dried up on Friday night. An inspired LeBron James and gang came to San Antonio and thoroughly outplayed the Spurs on their way to a 97-86 victory.

The game was basically over after James hit three consecutive three-pointers in the third quarter in a span of 1:10. By the time the third trey splashed through the net, the lead had grown to 15 points and garbage time ensued.

Overall, the Cleveland Cavaliers looked very good. James is an unbelievable player who was playing with a chip on his shoulder due to the Cavs losing the previous night in Houston. James and his teammates played inspired defense and it’s obvious that their chemistry and talent level is a lot better than the Cleveland team the Spurs saw in the 2007 Finals.

Despite the thrashing, the Spurs can’t be too disappointed. They were once again playing without Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. On top of that, almost every healthy rotation player had an off night. Oh and the Cavs aren’t half bad at basketball.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
30 minutes, 11 points, six assists, five rebounds, three turnovers
3-for-16 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

Coming off of perhaps the best two-game streak of his career, Tony Parker couldn’t keep it going. Hitting only three of his 16 shot attempts, Parker looked like a tired player. Almost all of his jumpers hit the front rim and he even uncharacteristically missed a few gimme layups. Despite his grotesque stat line, I don’t think he played as bad as the numbers would typically indicate. He did a good job of passing the ball and setting up shots for his teammates. His rebounding and defense were also both better than usual. Overall, Parker’s three-game stretch without the other two members of the Big Three has to still be considered a success.
-------------------------------

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
21 minutes, ten points
4-for-6 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers

Offensively, Roger Mason, Jr. did well. He hit his open shots and even created a couple of baskets off the bounce. However, on the other end of the court, Mason wasn’t nearly as helpful. Specifically, Mason’s transition defense left a lot to be desired. Instead of sprinting back to protect the rim, Mason either jogged back or went for steals. Pop, as one would imagine, wasn’t too thrilled with Mason’s lackluster transition defense and ended his night just three minutes into the third quarter.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
27 minutes, 11 points, seven rebounds, three blocks
5-for-9 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

If there was a bright spot on the night for the Spurs, it was the play of Michael Finley. Amazingly enough, the player who had the most success defending James? Michael Finley. While just about everyone else was either getting pushed around or blown by, Finley held his ground and actually made James work for his buckets. Proof of his work on the defensive end can be found in his seven rebounds and three blocked shots. Offensively, Finley was again very solid. It’s good to see that has Finley stepped up when needed. Let’s hope he can continue playing like this once the team is whole again.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
27 minutes, nine points, three rebounds, two assists
4-for-11 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner had an uneven outing. On offense, he showed quite a varied arsenal of moves. Not only is his catch-and-shoot game working well but he has also added a number of moves off the dribble. Against the Cavs, Bonner had two impressive assists after driving to the hoop. Defensively, it was a different story. Bonner’s defense was a step slow and not physical enough. Rebounding-wise, the Red VIA Bus needs to grab more than three boards in 27 minutes.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
21 minutes, six points, six rebounds
3-for-7 from the field

In the last two contests, Kurt Thomas looked like a 6-foot-9 version of Tim Duncan. Versus Cleveland on Friday night, Thomas came crashing down to earth. He didn’t play too horrible, mind you, but he wasn’t nearly as effective as he was against the Blazers and Mavericks. On offense, Thomas was a bit out of rhythm and his screens weren’t as sturdy. Defensively, he found himself out of position a number of times.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
21 minutes, eight points, five assists
4-for-7 from the field

When the game was still a game, George Hill didn’t do much. He was somewhat passive and the Cavs were able to pressure him and make it difficult for Hill to initiate the offense. Once garbage time arrived, Hill was able to pad his stats. He scored all eight of his points and dished out three of his five assists in the final 14 minutes.

Malik Hairston
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/rivals/full.48185/a1523cd118938faf9ccbf0d319b2c625/malik-hairston.jpg
20 minutes, 11 points, two assists
5-for-8 shooting, 1-for-1 at the line

The most notable moments of Malik Hairston’s night were when he was matched up against James on the defensive end of the court. Hairston played determined defense and did a good job of keeping James in front of him. On the offensive end, Hairston’s athleticism is looking better and better. He was able to finish above the rim a few times and he has much more hang time than he did during summer league and the preseason.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
18 minutes, four points, four rebounds, three turnovers
2-for-2 from the field

Fabricio Oberto had a few good moments but overall it was a disappointing outing. His turnovers were costly and his defense wasn’t noteworthy. He did a little bit better on the boards than usual but he still has room to improve. The good news is that Oberto’s conditioning appears to be good and the broken bone in his thumb doesn’t look to be affecting his play.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
18 minutes, one point, six rebounds
0-for-7 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

Ime Udoka was not good. At all. For some reason, Pop put Udoka on James and the result was an embarrassment to the city of San Antonio. Udoka was signed to defend the thick, strong swingmen in the game, and James definitely qualifies. However, Udoka has obviously lost a step since last season. His mobility out on the perimeter is poor and when combined with his lack of athleticism, Udoka just doesn’t have the tools to be a good defender anymore. I’m not sure what caused the drop in agility for Udoka so suddenly but then again, it’s quite common for a player that has had multiple knee surgeries to start slowing down at age 31.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
17 minutes, one rebound, one assist
0-for-2 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

In one of the great mysteries of the night, Pop didn’t use Bowen on James much at all. He got a few possessions to harass James but Pop would quickly change the alignment. Bowen was outwardly frustrated during the game – and it’s not too difficult to figure out why. Hopefully Pop is just saving Bowen for more important games.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu
http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/resourceserver/15602/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b/bc3/rglang/en-US/filename/b5d.jpg
12 minutes, 11 points, six rebounds, one steal, one block
3-for-3 from the field, 5-for-7 at the line

The talk of Spurs Nation following the game wasn’t the blowout loss. Instead, it was the play of Pops Mensah-Bonsu. The athletic bigman put on a show for those Spurs fans who stayed tune during garbage time. He had a couple of highlight dunks and his elite athleticism was on full display. Overall, I thought he played well in his first extended stint as a member of the Spurs. That said, he still has a whole lot to work on. I wasn’t too thrilled with his lackadaisical transition defense and his hustle in the open court wasn’t what you’d expect from a player trying to win a job in the NBA. It’s still an extreme long shot that Pops can crack the rotation but at least he has a skillset that fits in perfectly where the Spurs are lacking.

Jacque Vaughn
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg
Nine minutes, four points, two assists
0-for-1 from the field, 4-for-4 at the line

Jacque Vaughn played exactly like … well, Jacque Vaughn. Shocking, I know.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Was Pop even trying to win this game? Prior to the contest, he reportedly rebuffed Duncan’s request to play. Then during the game, Pop made a number of questionable decisions. First and foremost was his decision to put Udoka on James. I’m not sure what Pop has seen out of Udoka this season that suggested he could stay anywhere near James but hopefully Pop now better understands Udoka’s shortcomings. Putting Bowen on James a bit more would have been something to do if winning was a goal. Going forward, it’ll be interesting to see if Pop will give Pops or Hairston quality time to figure out exactly what he has on his bench.

Offense

Thanks in large part to Cleveland’s stout defense, the offense for San Antonio was ugly. The 30 points in the fourth quarter during garbage time allowed the total stats to not look too disgusting. For the game, the Spurs shot 41.8% from the floor, while connecting on 4-of-12 three-pointers and 16-of-20 free throws. Despite the shooting woes, the Spurs actually took good care of the ball, handing out 23 assists compared to only 12 turnovers.

Defense

The defense had some moments of cohesiveness but overall it was a step back from the defensive efforts of the previous four ballgames. The Cavs finished the night shooting 43.4% from the field, 33.3% (7-of-21) on three-pointers and 78.3% (18-of-23) from the line. Although the Spurs were able to hold Cleveland to 15 assists, that was mostly due to James creating for himself in fast break situations and driving to the basket in the halfcourt sets. The Cavs were also able to out-rebound the Spurs by a final tally of 46-40.

Drive to Five

The best thing to do with the tape of the Cavaliers game is to burn it and move on. Sunday night the Spurs face a Blazers team that will want revenge. Let’s hope Duncan plays, the Spurs can bounce back and the Blazers are once again disappointed.

Believe.

Chieflion
03-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Thank you for the game thoughts. It always delivers.

Hairston and Pops played well. Even if it was garbage time, I could not care less. They were D-League players. Especially Pops, he had 6 rebounds in 12 minutes and 11 points to boot.

DarrinS
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
LOL at your Udoka and Vaughn comments. :lol

But true.

ManuTP9
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Damn those game thoghts were good, i agree though Udoka has been sucking so bad.

lefty
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
cueBM8b9WQU

Manufan909
03-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Fuck, put JV AND Ime on IR if Tim plays tonight, just Ime if Timmy doesn't dress. I don't care if Manu, Tim, and Ian are still hurt, Ime can't dress. There are 3 better SFs on the team than him, plus one is better as well as a decade younger with miles more of potential.

m33p0
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
whatever happened to that udoka guy? he used to hold so much promise.

he's confidence is shot to pieces right now. even worse is that he knows there's no way he can crack the rotation not with mason, bruce and finley in the lineup. and now he has to contend with hairston and maybe bonsu, too.

i feel bad for ime. :depressed

Obstructed_View
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
The player that had the most success defending James was Hairston. IIRC Finley was responsible for James when he hit those threes to blow the game open, and on one of them Finley managed to comically get himself screened despite not having anyone between him and James (He ran the wrong direction).

tp2021
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Jacque Vaughn
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg
Nine minutes, four points, two assists
0-for-1 from the field, 4-for-4 from the field

Jacque Vaughn played exactly like … well, Jacque Vaughn. Shocking, I know.

bdictjames
03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Jacque Vaughn must have multiple personalities.

WalterBenitez
03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Nice thoughts as usual, glad to see your consideration of TP's game.

lefty
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Jacque Vaughn must have multiple personalities.

The most recurring one being Avery Johnson

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg<--------------http://www.samhail.com/gallery/samhail/middle_finger_flame.jpg U!!!!
18 minutes, one point, six rebounds
0-for-7 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

Ime Udoka was not good. At all. For some reason, Pop put Udoka on James and the result was an embarrassment to the city of San Antonio. Udoka was signed to defend the thick, strong swingmen in the game, and James definitely qualifies. However, Udoka has obviously lost a step since last season. His mobility out on the perimeter is poor and when combined with his lack of athleticism, Udoka just doesn’t have the tools to be a good defender anymore. I’m not sure what caused the drop in agility for Udoka so suddenly but then again, it’s quite common for a player that has had multiple knee surgeries to start slowing down at age 31.

I hate posts like these. You are being unfair to Ime. It's not like he actively campaigned for Pop to use him the way he did. Your anger should be directed towards Pop.

DAF86
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
What's that "CA 2008" thing that some of the posters here have under their avatars?

duncan228
03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
What's that "CA 2008" thing that some of the posters here have under their avatars?

It means they donated to Robinson's Carver Academy. Kori and timvp put together a ST fundraiser for the holidays. Anyone who donated can have the symbol, there are people who donated but chose to not have it.

Kori said she hopes to make it an annual event here.

duncan228
03-01-2009, 02:05 PM
ST raised $3,121.52

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114339

Spursmania
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Ime sucked not just this game but most of the year. It's time to move on. He needs to go now!:hat

Thanks for the game thoughts. Good read.:toast

Mugen
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
you're no Rogue timvp!

timvp
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
whatever happened to that udoka guy? Tough to say. Most people think it's because he hasn't gotten playing time but I'm not sure I can agree. From the beginning of the first preseason game, Udoka just hasn't looked the same. Somewhere over the summer he lost a step. I don't know if crashing and burning against the Lakers hurt his confidence or if those knee surgeries finally caught up with him ... but the result has been drastic.

Spurs fans also forget that when Pop originally benched Bowen, it was in favor of Udoka at small forward. It took horrible games from Udoka for him to lose that job.

Although Udoka has had a bad year, the good news for him is Pop still likes him. He's always trying to find minutes -- even when Udoka has done little to deserve minutes. And anytime Udoka has an even halfway decent game, Pop usually praises him in post-game interviews.

It'd be nice to get the Udoka we saw against the Hornets back ... but that is looking less and less likely.

timvp
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
The player that had the most success defending James was Hairston. I took Hairston out of the running because he didn't guard James enough. It'd be interesting if there were a larger sample size.

One thing I do like about Hairston is his transition defense. Right when the ball goes up, he turns around and runs to the other rim. Snyder taught him well in Austin.

boutons_
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
yeah, Pops was lackadaisical up the floor, esp compared with Hairston.

Pops seemed a little too cool and pleased with himself, as if he had made it in the NBA and could stay made in the NBA.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I thought Malik's confidence in the system was pretty noticeable. His rotations on D did not seem like he was a chicken with his head cut off, like I've seen from newcomers. Also he seemed to know where hte Spurs wanted to get the ball on offense.

Spursmania
03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Agree completely with the Hairston comments. He looked good defensively. Pops needs to not pat himself on the back just yet. We're all happy to do that for him, but we need to see some more action.

whottt
03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
It's hard to believe Hairston is the same player I saw in Summer League...vastly different player now. The guy in Summer League didn't look like an NBA player, and this guy suiting for the Spurs now, does.

So it looks like the Spurs hit on Hill and Hairston...and Gist was the best of the 3 in Training Camp, plus he plays then need position, so I can't wait till he returns. I think they hit on him too.

Is it possible the Spurs went 3-3 with the drafting of Team Wingspan? 3-3 on American born players no less?

whottt
03-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I pretty much agree with your game thoughts except for Vaughn...I actually thought Vaughn was a positive in this game.

ducks
03-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu

12 minutes, 11 points, six rebounds, one steal, one block
3-for-3 from the field, 5-for-7 at the line

The talk of Spurs Nation following the game wasn’t the blowout loss. Instead, it was the play of Pops Mensah-Bonsu. The athletic bigman put on a show for those Spurs fans who stayed tune during garbage time. He had a couple of highlight dunks and his elite athleticism was on full display. Overall, I thought he played well in his first extended stint as a member of the Spurs. That said, he still has a whole lot to work on. I wasn’t too thrilled with his lackadaisical transition defense and his hustle in the open court wasn’t what you’d expect from a player trying to win a job in the NBA. It’s still an extreme long shot that Pops can crack the rotation but at least he has a skillset that fits in perfectly where the Spurs are lacking.

Spursmania
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I do agree that his transition defense lacked the intensity you would expect from a player trying to earn a spot in the NBA. Somebody better light a match under his ass because I am hoping he's good enough to stay. I want to be screaming P-O-P-S after he dunks!
:hat

Yes, a little unusual for us Spurs fans, since you know everyone says we're so boring.:lol:flag:

Michi_Germany
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks again fpr your game thoughts!
I hope we'll see more Hairston and Pops the next games!

picnroll
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Pops defense is closest to a chicken with its head cut off. Hope he can get a little better there or I don't think he'll make it.

Mark in Austin
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks as always for the thoughts timvp. I think it might be time to replace the Oberto picture you're using with one where he has the Billy Mays beard, though. :lol