PDA

View Full Version : Texas Basketball: Sittin' with Syd

alamo50
03-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Senior guard Sydmill Harris, the first European-born player in UT basketball history, has been a mainstay for the Longhorns on the court for the past three-plus seasons. Harris has also been the resident comedian in the Texas locker room during this time. A wordsmith by trade (he is fluent in five languages) and a skeptic by nature, Harris can always find an opportune moment to inject a sarcastic or witty comment. Now, you can enjoy his humor and follow the senior's season as he shares a weekly diary with TexasSports.com.

http://www.texassports.com/images/mbbimages/2004_05/icons/04.sittingwithsyd.jpg

March 7, 2005

Hello Longhorns, it's your buddy Syd with finally another Sittin' with Syd installment.

Did you miss me? It has been a very busy couple of weeks - or however long it has been since the last time we sat together. My family came from The Netherlands to visit me; first my mother and brother, then my father came for senior night.

It is always pretty easy to entertain my brother because he is pretty much like me. He doesn't want to do anything. Finding something to do for my parents is a different story. It's not as hard when they're here at the same time, but having them here at different times can be tough. I can't take my parents to Sixth Street. You can only take someone to the mall so many times, even though there were great sales. Dillard's was having the best sale I ever encountered in all my years of frugality. Many items were an additional 50% percent off the already listed sale prices. So I went straight to the 75% off rack, which was now an extra 50 off! For those of you who are frugal, I know you are salivating right now, just as I did.

It was good having my father here for senior night even though we lost the game. He was also here for the Missouri game and saw how I earned a spot on Sportscenter. That was not pretty. The best thing about having my family here is enjoying their unique advice and stories. My brother Carsley is a nutcase. He has become even funnier than I remember. I can't stop laughing when I'm around him. When we combine our forces, we become almost unstoppable. My mom is also very funny and she loves to hear or tell stories, especially stories about people doing stupid things. When you think about it, no one wants to hear how well some one is doing; all that does is make you feel bad about your own situation. If you can't say anything bad about someone you shouldn't say anything at all. Or do I just sound like a bitter dude right now? My dad is also a very special character. He has always given me great advice my entire life. I just love it when he says stuff like; what's the difference between you and Kobe Bryant, or Allen Iverson? You should just do what they do!

It hasn't hit me yet that I will never play in the Erwin Center again, and I just want the people who read this to know that I had the time of my life and I will miss it very much. People always ask me why I picked "lucky" number thirteen. The truth is that when I played in Amsterdam, I was the youngest player, so it was the only number left. After that I just stuck with it. The number has given me plenty of luck. Just the other day when I went to dinner, I found forty bucks in the parking lot. Forty bucks! Two twenties separated from one another. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the poor guy (or girl) who lost forty bucks, and thank him or her from the bottom of my heart. Okay, I'm running out of stuff to say, not to say I was saying a whole lot before, but I gotta go. I have a lot of homework to do.

This is a very special story about a man in a wheel chair with long gray hair. It was the third of September, a day he will always remember. It was a dark day in the park, and time was flying like a jayhawk. If only he could get there sooner, he had to get home before the cyclone. The man was a reckless cowboy, but I'll tell you more about that later. He was a real hero this man, they called him RR, the red raider. Anyway, it was dark but RR was not scared, who would dare to face him, he had the strength of a bear. There are stories about how he killed a tiger using only a bat and used his bare hands to tame a wildcat. But, there in the distance he saw the longhorns, or, wait, oh no, it was a wild stampede of buffalo! RR never found a single longhorn; he retired to become a husker of corn. RR got married and had a wife and a son; he never again picked up his bat or his guns. About five years later, RR now named Roy was having a talk with his boy. He wanted to know if his daddy had ever seen an aggie? Roy answered: what in the world is an aggie?