PDA

View Full Version : We need to start pops(serious thread)

poop
03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
im not even kidding im so angry right now, when playing a young, athletic, quick team like portland do we need oberto and bonner out there at the same time? NO POPS AND MALIK SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE WITHIN THE FIRST few minutes after guess what, portland's athleticism, height and quickness pushed around our front line, took all the rebounds and made it painfully obvious why you should NEVER have 2 white guys in your front line at the same time.

what happens when thy put POPS IN?? he hustles on very play, competes for offensive rebounds, swishes 19 foot jumper, disrupts plays, portland has ZERO points in the paint while hes in.

CAN YOU IMAGINE DUNCAN AND POPS AT ONCE?? DOMINATION IM DEAD SERIOUS STOP BEING STUBBORN AND PLAY THIS GUY OUTSIDE GARBAGE TIME BEFORE HE SIGNS WITH BOSTON OR SOME SHIT

timvp
03-01-2009, 10:29 PM
:smchode:

m33p0
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
the only way this thread can be justified is if the OP IS POPS.

Manufan909
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
:smchode:

:lmao

Ice009
03-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Uhh start Pops is not what I want to hear right now. That basically means we aren't winning shit.

03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
i thought this was a serious thread.

justinandimcool
03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Pop just needs to start taking risks soon while we have losses to afford. Give Hill, Pops, and Hairston 20 minutes a game to mesh with Tim and Tony.

Look at what other teams do. The Lakers experiment with guys like Josh Powell and Trevor Ariza and find gems. Now so are the Celtics giving Mikki Moore some effective playing time.

We are not going to win a title with Bonner, Mason, and Finley being our main non-big 3 contributors. We need more production and that isn't going to happen if guys with potential don't even get PT.

completely deck
03-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Start? No. Come in after Thomas? Yes

TheProfessor
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I was misinformed, someone remove "serious thread" from the title.

DespЏrado
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I actually kind of think this is worth a shot, at least for a few games. Why? Because I want to see how Tim and Pops fit on the same court together. I get the feeling that Pops could be a hell of a garbage man around Tim. His game could really compliment Duncan on both ends of the court.

But we won't know that unless they see legitimate time on the floor together.

m33p0
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
look at the date. it's already March! no more experiments!

poop
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Pop just needs to start taking risks soon while we have losses to afford. Give Hill, Pops, and Hairston 20 minutes a game to mesh with Tim and Tony.

Look at what other teams do. The Lakers experiment with guys like Josh Powell and Trevor Ariza and find gems. Now so are the Celtics giving Mikki Moore some effective playing time.

We are not going to win a title with Bonner, Mason, and Finley being our main non-big 3 contributors. We need more production and that isn't going to happen if guys with potential don't even get PT.

EXACTLY!!!

when will popovich realize that its OK to give POPS more time? hes played only a small amount of time so far and has proven himself to be exactly what he was hyped up to be, its painfully obvious that he can provide something oberto and bonner cant, he can actually get his feet off the ground, guys arent going to push him around, he actually goes for offensvive rebounds

for example when POPS wasnt in early in the game duncan took a LONG outside shot, before the shot even left his hands ALL the spurs had already started running down the floor and no less than FIVE portland players went in for the rebound, jesus christ POPS is EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP BEING STUBBORN AND PLAY THIS GUY EARLY

poop
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I actually kind of think this is worth a shot, at least for a few games. Why? Because I want to see how Tim and Pops fit on the same court together. I get the feeling that Pops could be a hell of a garbage man around Tim. His game could really compliment Duncan on both ends of the court.

But we won't know that unless they see legitimate time on the floor together.

you are exactly right. a starting lineup of duncan and POPS would be a SERIOUS upgrade.

m33p0
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
yes, let's tinker with the lineup and mess up the chemistry. who knows? spurs might still miss the playoffs and have a chance at the lottery.

poop
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
look at the date. it's already March! no more experiments!

are you aware sir thatour current rotation of oberto/bonner is completely insufficient to compete with the explosive athletic young lineups found in our competition? do you care? or are you one of those 'dont mess with it ill take my chances with oberto/bonner even though they do not rebound or block shots and get pushed around and dunked on by the big strong black dudes at least they 'know the rotation'' people?

in all seriousness Thomas did a great job for a few games, getting lots of rebounds but you cannot deny that to seriously compete for a title we NEED exactly what POPS has shown us.

Chomag
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Start no.

However I think he has urnded some meaningfull minutes and a chance to play some when the game still matters.

SequSpur
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
jacque vaughn would get more rebounds than Bonner and play better defense. Start him at the Big.

ulosturedge
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
You can't just put an unproven player out ahead of these other guys that earned their minutes. That might ruffle a few feathers. The guys still doesn't know where all the switches are on defense or much less where he needs to be on offense. You throw him out there early in games at this point will just cause more complications. Let him get some more practices under his belt.

m33p0
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
are you aware sir thatour current rotation of oberto/bonner is completely insufficient to compete with the explosive athletic young lineups found in our competition? do you care? or are you one of those 'dont mess with it ill take my chances with oberto/bonner even though they do not rebound or block shots and get pushed around and dunked on by the big strong black dudes at least they 'know the rotation'' people?

in all seriousness Thomas did a great job for a few games, getting lots of rebounds but you cannot deny that to seriously compete for a title we NEED exactly what POPS has shown us.
i would agree with you... if it's still january. even then, i will not agree with Pops starting. Spurs isn't plug-n-play. a player actually has to learn the system.

AnotherArgie
03-01-2009, 10:58 PM

Block shots? what are you talking about? As far I can see in Pops' nba stat page, he had ONE block in his entire nba career (14 games). Oh, and he had FOUR astonishing defensive rebounds in 15 minutes of action in 2007. And guess what, the guy is turning 26 in four months, he's not a baby neither.

I liked some of the stuff I saw from him so far, but there's no chance he earned the starting spot in a championship caliber team.

exstatic
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
The Young Guns looked pretty ordinary tonight when matched against like athleticism. They're not ready for prime time.

poop
03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
i would agree with you... if it's still january. even then, i will not agree with Pops starting. Spurs isn't plug-n-play. a player actually has to learn the system.

bottom line is, we have been getting lots of positive productivity from POPS, it is brutally clear that he provides EXACTLY what the spurs need right now.
look bonner is a great shooter, but he should play a steve kerr role NOT an inside role, he can shoot but he CANNOT rebound, defend interior, putback, dunk, etc etc.
i like oberto while Manu is in but jesus christ, POPS jumps all over him, grabs rebounds, defends the paint, it doesnt matter if he has 'senority' you play what is effective for winning PERIOD

exstatic
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
The Young Guns looked pretty ordinary tonight when matched against like athleticism. They're not ready for prime time.

cool hand
he is right.

benefactor
He still has some work to do. I think a few meaningful minutes might have been OK to try to deal with the Blazers athleticism, but he is far from or being a solid rotation player at this point...much less a starter. I'm still for keeping him through the summer and seeing and letting him fight it out for a spot next year though.

m33p0
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Someone that wanted a serious thread would use his real s/n and not one he made today to make this thread.
:lol:lol:lol

SenorSpur
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
are you aware sir thatour current rotation of oberto/bonner is completely insufficient to compete with the explosive athletic young lineups found in our competition?
We saw this same movie versus the Fakers last season and it was apparent, yet again tonight. The Spurs current frontline rotation is woefully inadequate against, taller, quicker bigs - like Portland and L.A. They were powerless to respond when the Blazers brought the fight to them. Unless, of course, you call committing senseless fouls and failing to box out a legitmate response, when you're getting your ass handed to you.

SouthTexasRancher
03-01-2009, 11:27 PM
yes, let's tinker with the lineup and mess up the chemistry. who knows? spurs might still miss the playoffs and have a chance at the lottery.

Chemistry? What chemistry are you talking about? The Spurs have NO chemistry! PERIOD.....!

The Spurs have pretty much SUCKED since starting the rodeo road trip.

m33p0
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Chemistry? What chemistry are you talking about? The Spurs have NO chemistry! PERIOD.....!

what rodeo road trip?

SouthTexasRancher
03-01-2009, 11:30 PM

Thank goodness there was a good Clint Eastwood movie on tonight. I was about to rip the horseshoes off my horses and pitch 'em thru the boobtube and hit each of the Spurs in the head. Hopefully to knock some juice into their game. Man when we stink we stink!!!

poop
03-01-2009, 11:33 PM
We saw this same movie versus the Fakers last season and it was apparent, yet again tonight. The Spurs current frontline rotation is woefully inadequate against, taller, quicker bigs - like Portland and L.A. They were powerless to respond when the Blazers brought the fight to them. Unless, of course, you call committing senseless fouls and failing to box out a legitmate response, when you're getting your ass handed to you.

yes exactly. many here seem unwilling to face the facts

poop
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Someone that wanted a serious thread would use his real s/n and not one he made today to make this thread.

i just came over today from spursreport.com, a shit forum compared to here(where you can speak your mid and even use foul language(!!) unlike that..well i wont get into it here)

it would have taken me years to come up with a briliant screenname like 'init2winit' hahha oh brother give me a break.

SouthTexasRancher
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
what rodeo road trip?

You know that little excursion where we played 3 games on the road, came home for a few days rest, went back out and played a couple more games away, then rested some more, and then played a couple more on the road. Yeah, a real tuff rodeo road trip against pretty much bottom suckers.

I think the Spurs spent too damn much time on the $.25 bucking bronc in front of Wal-Mart.

SouthTexasRancher
03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
i just came over today from spursreport.com, a shit forum compared to here(where you can speak your mid and even use foul language(!!) unlike that..well i wont get into it here)

it would have taken me years to come up with a briliant screenname like 'init2winit' hahha oh brother give me a break.

Are you saying SpursReport.com is still up and running? I thought they went under a year ago.

poop
03-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Are you saying SpursReport.com is still up and running? I thought they went under a year ago.

yes it is still there, with its slow-ass, half-loading pages strictly patrolled by its tight-ass, 'family friendly' proper mods. is it any suprise when its main Mod is named 'Mom Bear' :rolleyes

m33p0
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
You know that little excursion where we played 3 games on the road, came home for a few days rest, went back out and played a couple more games away, then rested some more, and then played a couple more on the road. Yeah, a real tuff rodeo road trip against pretty much bottom suckers.

I think the Spurs spent too damn much time on the $.25 bucking bronc in front of Wal-Mart.
i'm telling you, the league changed the schedule of the all-star weekend to mess with Pop's plans. it's a conspiracy!

spurspokesman
03-02-2009, 12:11 AM
EXACTLY!!!

when will popovich realize that its OK to give POPS more time? hes played only a small amount of time so far and has proven himself to be exactly what he was hyped up to be, its painfully obvious that he can provide something oberto and bonner cant, he can actually get his feet off the ground, guys arent going to push him around, he actually goes for offensvive rebounds

for example when POPS wasnt in early in the game duncan took a LONG outside shot, before the shot even left his hands ALL the spurs had already started running down the floor and no less than FIVE portland players went in for the rebound, jesus christ POPS is EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED.

I with you on that. I've been saying it in nearly every thread. When pops came in for the first time against cleveland I actually started to even think of second chance oppurtunity on offense. If we dont land gooden or smith or give pops A chance like jj hickson Mcgee from Washington the list goes on. This frontline is becoming viciously painful to watch. Maybe after A couple more monster size ass kickings itll sink in. Spur for life but its getting bad. Cant remember when our frontline was this pathetic. Elson looks like god now. LOL

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP BEING STUBBORN AND PLAY THIS GUY EARLY

Austin_Toros
03-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Pops is not starter material just yet. However, I think spurs should keep him albeit on the bench. I like his play- and he can actually dunk!

The Truth #6
03-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Start? No. Play him in the 2nd quarter when we're already down by 25? Yes.

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
yes it is still there, with its slow-ass, half-loading pages strictly patrolled by its tight-ass, 'family friendly' proper mods. is it any suprise when its main Mod is named 'Mom Bear' :rolleyes

I receive emails from them from time to time but, I've never gone back. I figured it was dead.

poop
03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Start? No. Play him in the 2nd quarter when we're already down by 25? Yes.

where do you people come from?

Gutter92
03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
jacque vaughn would get more rebounds than Bonner and play better defense. Start him at the Big.

And JV would be perfect for hiding Parker's defensive flaws.

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
i'm telling you, the league changed the schedule of the all-star weekend to mess with Pop's plans. it's a conspiracy!

We need Manu's energy back with the team. He is our turbocharger! But, I don't want him back till Pop is comfortable with his condition. I'd rather fall back to 4th place and have a healthy Manu, Tim & Tony come playoff time. We ain't going to catch the Lakers anyway....not when we keep losing when they lose.

jdev82
03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
naw.
but i feel 20 mins spaced far between would give us a lot of energy(read: dunks)
no but seriously, he'll get more time, 10 mins or so in the next few games, and see if he can become a 9th man

Indazone
03-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Spurs need their big three to be serious contenders. Pops can only be viewed as gravy right now.

The Truth #6
03-02-2009, 12:58 AM
where do you people come from?

I have no idea what you consider reasonable. According to you, putting Pops in the game in the 2nd quarter when the game is going poorly is not enough. So after playing well in garbage time versus Cleveland he should be starting? You, sir, are a moron.

ulosturedge
03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
My only point is if we are banking on Pops to turn into some superstar powerforward for us; We are in a shit load of trouble. I think his offense is pretty much there, but thats not the problem for the Spurs. We are looking for an extra inside defensive presence to help Duncan. And Pops is mediocre at best on defense. Thats what needs to be developed.

angelbelow
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
pops definitely should start, but on the toros.

Muser
03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Everyone was quick to hop on his dick after Cleveland, now everyone is quick to hop off.

The Truth #6
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Everyone was quick to hop on his dick after Cleveland, now everyone is quick to hop off.

There is a huge middle ground between slamming him and starting him that doesn't get much thought by the men children of ST.

Rain318
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
He hasnt earned a starting position

DAF86
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Defenitely not the starting job but some non-garbage minutes would be nice.

Agloco
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Gotta be on it first in order to hop off. He should be a part of the rotation I think, but definitely not a starter. Really nothing to lose by getting him some extra minutes at this point. Perhaps 10-15 per. See if his D rounds into form.

When other teams play at a high level, the Spurs weaknesses are exposed in a most hideous manner.

Anyone who thinks we can compete with Boston, Cleveland or LA in the playoffs with Matt Bonner, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas as our bigs are seriously delusional.

inaminute23
03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
As a massive Great Britain fan i was thrilled Pops signed for the Spurs. I do agree with alot of people here that he deserves more meaningful minutes. Ok he might have put decent numbers in what you call garbage minutes, but this guy can play! I've seen him play in the flesh, granted against inferior teams to the NBA, but none the less he easily dominated. I think some people are too harsh about his defensive skills. I think a few more games with the Spurs & he will show more efficiently on the defensive end. I really think Pops & Duncan can be a good combo, & hopefully drag the Spurs out of this little slump. Getting to the main point though, obviously Pops won't start, but defo a shot to throw him in alot earlier than what they have been doing. The guy is a none stop, super athletic talent, who loves to entertain.....GO POPS!!

Spursone
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
:bangConsidering Oberto and Bonner have a combined vertical leap of 3 inches allowing Pop in for a few for minutes is a Fu__ing no brainer. Hello!:ihit