PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Starts Against Trail Blazers

duncan228
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Edit: Updated article in post #4.

Duncan starts against Trail Blazers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_starts_against_Trail_Blazers.html)
Mike Monroe

PORTLAND, Ore. — Spurs forward Tim Duncan was back in uniform for Sunday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers. And barring further incident with his sore right knee, he also should be in the starting lineup for Monday’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers, at Staples Center.

Duncan missed three games last week with tendonosis in his right quadriceps tendon. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who held Duncan out of Friday’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers despite the team’s medical staff clearing the All-Star big man, said he does not expect Duncan’s availability to be game-by-game hereafter.

“I don’t think so,” Popovich said. “I wouldn’t be playing him tonight if the trainers and doctors didn’t say he was ready. I was the one who held him out another game (on Friday).

“We expect he’s back and he’s fine. If there is a reinjury, that’s a different deal, but it’s not game-to-game. He’s back.”

Welcome back: Popovich said he is happy for Portland that the Trail Blazers have regained their status as one of the NBA’s top teams with a roster that represents the Portland community in a first-class manner.

“It’s a heck of a team, and only getting better, week by week,” he said. “It’s great for the city to have their team back, a team that not only wins, but does it with class. They’re as important here as we are in San Antonio.

“There’s not a whole lot of professional stuff going on, expect the Blazers and Spurs in their respective towns, so the people demand teams that compete hard and teams that compete hard and teams that operate with class, on and off the court. Now, Portland has that again, and I think it’s great for the town and great for the NBA.

“They’re going to be a tough matchup for every single team in the league every single night because of the coaching and because of the system.

“They’re good. They’re back.”

Juanobili
03-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I like Portland. But not when they rape my Spurs. :(

duncan228
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
We expect he’s back and he’s fine. If there is a reinjury, that’s a different deal, but it’s not game-to-game. He’s back.

:elephant

duncan228
03-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Updated, piece on Gooden, quotes.

Duncan starts against Trail Blazers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_starts_against_Trail_Blazers.html)
Mike Monroe

PORTLAND, Ore. — Spurs forward Tim Duncan was back in uniform for Sunday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers, but he didn’t feel much like the real Tim Duncan, not after missing nine of his 15 shots and grabbing only four rebounds in 25 minutes and 36 seconds.

“Obviously, I believe I was a little bit rusty,” Duncan said. “I liked the shots I got. I’ve got to believe that on a regular basis I can knock them down. Call it rust, or whatever you want, but it was just a bad night.”

Duncan said he felt fine physically after sitting out three games last week with tendonosis in his right quadriceps tendon.

“I felt a lot better than I did when I went out (of the lineup),” he said. “I had a good rehab week. I felt pretty good tonight, all except for shooting the ball, obviously. But physically, I felt pretty good.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who held Duncan out of Friday’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers despite the team’s medical staff clearing the All-Star big man, said he does not expect Duncan’s availability to be game by game hereafter.

“We expect he’s back and he’s fine,” Popovich said. “If there is a re-injury, that’s a different deal, but it’s not game to game. He’s back.”

After his night of frustration, Duncan was thankful for the Spurs’ schedule. They are to play the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center tonight, a chance for Duncan, and his teammates, to put their disappointing showing in Portland in the rearview mirror.

“Very thankful,” Duncan said. “Short memory is good.”

Looking for help: According to one Western Conference executive, the Spurs are one of several championship contenders interested in signing forward Drew Gooden.

Gooden, acquired on trade deadline day by Sacramento, was released by the Kings on Sunday night, beating the league deadline for eligibility on another team’s playoff roster.

Gooden, a 6-foot-10 power forward in his seventh season, has had problems with a groin injury this season. He played his first game for the Kings on Feb. 25, when he scored 12 points and had 13 rebounds against Charlotte. But he left the game in the fourth period after aggravating the injury. He did not play in Sacramento’s next two games.

Welcome back: For Portland’s sake, Popovich said he is happy the Trail Blazers have regained their status as one of the NBA’s top teams with a roster that represents the community in a first-class manner.

“It’s a heck of a team, and only getting better, week by week,” he said. “It’s great for the city to have their team back, a team that not only wins, but does it with class. They’re as important here as we are in San Antonio.

“There’s not a whole lot of professional stuff going on, expect the Blazers and Spurs in their respective towns, so the people demand teams that compete hard and teams that operate with class, on and off the court. Now, Portland has that again, and I think it’s great for the town and great for the NBA.

“They’re going to be a tough matchup for every single team in the league every single night because of the coaching and because of the system. They’re good. They’re back.”

lurker23
03-02-2009, 01:34 AM
:elephant

:tu :) Have fun, duncan228. :toast

duncan228
03-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks. :)

crc21209
03-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Whew we need our franchise to be A-OK come playoff time.