PDA

View Full Version : Okay so Gooden, who do we waive then?

OleMissMike
03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes it sure looks like we'll get Gooden..maybe Smith...

Who do we waive? cuz we have 15 players?

Obviously the worst players on are team are Udoka and Vaughn

But most likely we'll do the stupidest thing ever and dump Pops Mensa-Badassa

We ain't getting rid of the 3rd pg so i guess Udoka makes the most

whottt
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Gooden pretty much sucks total ass as a defensive player. I don't know why anyone wants the Spurs to sign him...he's not going to get any minutes under Pop.

The reason both the Cavs and the Bull traded him is because he won't play D.

MannyIsGod
03-02-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't want Gooden. I don't want him at all. He's fucking horrible.

OleMissMike
03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
hey i aint singing the dude's praises but if sounds like we are doing it then thats why i posed the question

Hell why i add the ugliest dude on the nba's "ugliest team"

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Yeah Gooden is such a downgrade compared to what we already have with our very deep and versatile frontline.* rolls eyes*

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't want Gooden. I don't want him at all. He's fucking horrible.

If he's so horrible why are Pop and R.C after him. I guess they just want to add such a horrible player.

katuso
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
HIS D is hell

Indazone
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
His rebounding and scoring punch more than makes up for his D.

Spursfan092120
03-02-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2008/10/drew-gooden-425mc-103108.jpg
This guy in silver and black? Hmmm...sure..why not..as long as he gets those boards, plays some D and gets double figures in points..sign him up. He'd definitely be a good addition to what we've got.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Waive Pops or Udoka.

SenorSpur
03-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Gooden pretty much sucks total ass as a defensive player. I don't know why anyone wants the Spurs to sign him...he's not going to get any minutes under Pop.

That's all we need is another poor defender on this club.

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Yes it sure looks like we'll get Gooden..maybe Smith...

Who do we waive? cuz we have 15 players?

Obviously the worst players on are team are Udoka and Vaughn

But most likely we'll do the stupidest thing ever and dump Pops Mensa-Badassa

We ain't getting rid of the 3rd pg so i guess Udoka makes the most

If Pop gives up Pops instead of Ime Udoka then I'm here to say Pop has lost it and it is time to turn the reins over to a young mind like say, Bill Russel.

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2009, 12:50 AM
If he's so horrible why are Pop and R.C after him. I guess they just want to add such a horrible player.

Could be they are both drunk about now. A game like tonight's fiasco will do that to anyone.

Duncan2177
He would be a upgrade over Bonner and Oberto thats for sure.

MaNu4Tres
I guess Oberto and Bonner are just flat out studs on the defensive end.
Having them creating havoc defensively warrants a pass on Gooden. * rolls eyes again*

Gooden is a superior rebounder and he is a big who isn't a total liability on the offensive end. Not to mention with Tim showing him the ropes come April and May, I'm pretty sure Gooden would put forth the effort defensively.

whottt
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah Gooden is such a downgrade compared to what we already have with our very deep and versatile frontline.* rolls eyes*

He'd instantly be the worst defensive big in our rotation. Guy simply doesn't play D.

gmanrulz
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
pop will make him play D

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
He'd instantly be the worst defensive big in our rotation. Guy simply doesn't play D.

I think your giving WAY too much credit to Oberto and Bonner both. I'll give Kurt props for the trickery in his trade and getting away with bowen-like manuevers on the defensive end. But I think your overreacting when referring to how he would INSTANTLY be the worst defensive big. He'd be our 2nd best rebounder thats for sure.

whottt
03-02-2009, 12:58 AM
I guess Oberto and Bonner are just flat out studs on the defensive end.

Compard to Gooden they are...compared to Gooden, Steven Nash is a defensive stud. At least Nash will flop. Gooden won't even do that.

Having them creating havoc defensively warrants a pass on Gooden. * rolls eyes again*

Gooden is a superior rebounder and he is a big who isn't a total liability on the offensive end.

Um...we have an offensive big named Tim Duncan...he is so good he once forced a former soon to be Hall of Fame scoring champion to give up his offensive game and become a defensive anchor...

There's only one ball...

Not to mention with Tim showing him the ropes come April andMaym, I'm pretty sure Gooden would put forth the effort defensively.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't even when it cost him his starting job in Cleveland...and Chicago.

He's being traded for guys on the downside of their careers like Ben Wallace and Brad Miller...figure it out.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I guess your right for justifying your opinion on not signing gooden when Pop and R.C are obviously after him. I guess Oberto and Bonner are just studs defensively for them turning to drew gooden.

whottt
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I think your giving WAY too much credit to Oberto and Bonner both. I'll give Kurt props for the trickery in his trade and getting away with bowen-like manuevers on the defensive end. But I think your overreacting when referring to how he would INSTANTLY be the worst defensive big. He'd be our 2nd best rebounder thats for sure.

They at least try to play within the system...Gooden will sit there and watch guys score.

He's complete shit.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Gooden was a throw in to get rid of Larry hughes. Just like Scola was for Jackie Butler. There's a reason why Cleveland wants him back. you figure it out.

Duncan2177
03-02-2009, 01:06 AM

Or maybe our best rebounder its a no brainer to sign Gooden he can score inside and is a tough physical player and he would take pressure off of Tim and Pop would help him with his defense.

timvp
03-02-2009, 01:09 AM
The Spurs would likely waive Kareem Robinson Olajuwon Chamberlain Mensah Bonsai-Jordan.

whottt
03-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I guess your right for justifying your opinion on not signing gooden when Pop and R.C are obviously after him.

Pop and RC go after a lot of guys...that doesn't mean they play them.

I guess Oberto and Bonner are just studs defensively for them turning to drew gooden.

Whottt from 2004 from the thread, "is Steve Nash the worst defensive player in the league" :

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8353&highlight=Gooden

Is Steve Nash the worst defensive player you've ever seen?

Glen Rice is the worst I have seen...Glen Rice would actually jump out of the way of players taking it to the basket. I think I've even seen him screen his teamates to make it easier for an opponent to score.

Currently in the league?The guy plays for Cleveland but his name isn't LeBron...It's Gooden, Drew Gooden.

This guy sucks hard on D...at least when Nash is not playing D he does it with energy.

Dumb SOB dunked a ball into the opponents basket last night...I honestly don't think it was an accident...the Cavs had a big lead and I think he just wanted to dunk it, was not worried about the score...

He's shit.

coachmac87
03-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Gooden was a throw in to get rid of Larry hughes. Just like Scola was for Jackie Butler. There's a reason why Cleveland wants him back. you figure it out.

Nice :lol

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Drew Gooden was a big reason why Oberto scored so well in the 2007 NBA Finals.

No thanks on this stiff.

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 01:11 AM
If Pop gives up Pops instead of Ime Udoka then I'm here to say Pop has lost it and it is time to turn the reins over to a young mind like say, Bill Russel.

Who are you people?

L.I.T
03-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Bring on George Mikan. He'd solve all of our problems.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Screw it, dig up Wilt.

whottt
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah...that reason is called Ben Wallace breaking his fucking femur and he played along LeBron for years. Shit that was hard to figure out.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Drew Gooden was a big reason why Oberto scored so well in the 2007 NBA Finals.

No thanks on this stiff.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/stats/2006/nba_finals_stats.html

Yeah all 4.3 points on 47 percent shooting. Yeah Oberto had his way against gooden let me tell you. Not to mention Tim avg. his low and shot in the low 40's that series.

I'll give you a reason though. There's a reason why Gooden was a starter for a defensive minded coach ( Mike Brown). For a Cleveland team that beat a superior Detriot Team to go to the Finals. Anyone can say anyone sucks defensively. Proof is in the pudding on why the cavs are interested in bringing him back.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:19 AM

Yeah all 4.3 points on 47 percent shooting. Yeah Oberto had his way against gooden let me tell you. Not to mention Tim avg. his low and shot in the low 40's that series.

I'll give you a reason though. There's a reason why Gooden was a starter for a defensive minded coach ( Mike Brown). For a Cleveland team that beat a superior Detriot Team to go to the Finals. Anyone can say anyone sucks defensively. Proof is in the pudding on why the cavs are interested in bringing him back.

Wich is why they are signing the corpse of Joe Smith instead right?

MaNu4Tres
Yeah...that reason is called Ben Wallace breaking his fucking femur and he played along LeBron for years. Shit that was hard to figure out.

No it means that Gooden isn't a horrible player. There's plenty of players they could sign for the minimum that are out there. There's a reason they want Gooden back.

timvp
Whottt from 2004 from the thread, "is Steve Nash the worst defensive player in the league" :

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8353&highlight=Gooden

He's shit.Classic digging :lmao

EricB

:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
I'd be surprised if SA signed him he cares less about D than Amare does.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Wich is why they are signing the corpse of Joe Smith instead right?

They are interested in both. It's been stated in multiple sites.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
No it means that Gooden isn't a horrible player. There's plenty of players they could sign for the minimum that are out there. There's a reason they want Gooden back.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:22 AM
They are interested in both. It's been stated in multiple sites.

If Gooden is so fantastic, then why go after Joe Smith?

MaNu4Tres
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Again thats your opinion that I disagree with.

Gooden would improve the Spurs thats my opinion.

whottt

Did you actually watch those games or are you just look at boxscores? The Spurs actually ran plays for Oberto against Gooden...and he scored on them. Oberto put a dream shake on Gooden...

And the reason Cleveland beat Detroit is because LeBron James scored like 278 points in a row in the 4th quarter.

L.I.T
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM

1. Ben Wallace broken femur.
2. He knows their offensive schemes, which means little acclimation period.

They also traded him for the Player Formerly Known as Big Ben in an attempt to shore up their defense.

timvp
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Hey whottt, you're not alone. :smokin

No to Gooden. Worst defensive bigman in the league.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=378551

P.S.

Nope. Gooden is a head case. Every team who gets him wants to trade him right away.

There's a reason for that.

P.S.

He's also the worst defensive big man in the league.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21058

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
If Gooden is so fantastic, then why go after Joe Smith?

Joe Smith has a better overall skill set than any big we have on our roster outside of duncan. And again it's been said on multiple sites they are after both Smith and Gooden.

Darkwaters
03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
The Spurs would likely waive Kareem Robinson Olajuwon Chamberlain Mensah Bonsai-Jordan.

That reminds me, I have a soldier named Hakeem Olajuwon working for me. The funny thing is the guys 5'5.

Oh, and I would sign Gooden and waive Ime all day long. If Gooden really sucks that much then you just bench him. Just because we sign him/trade for him late in the season doesn't mean he has to see the light of day (see Melvin Ely).

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Did you actually watch those games or are you just look at boxscores? The Spurs actually ran plays for Oberto against Gooden...and he scored on them. Oberto put a dream shake on Gooden...

And the reason Cleveland beat Detroit is because LeBron James scored like 278 points in a row in the 4th quarter.

2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Oberto springs wide open free under the bucket for two layups.

Who was guarding Oberto?

timvp
But yeah, despite Gooden's negatives, signing him basically for free isn't something the Spurs can pass on.

MaNu4Tres
I guess I'm just so inferior when it comes to common sense because I don't go to GTG or have a million posts. I watch a lot of games and with my common sense, the addition of drew gooden would improve the Spurs. That's just my opinion, which is just as good as yours. You don't have to agree with it. All i know is this. There's a reason why Pop and R.C are going after him.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Joe Smith has a better overall skill set than any big we have on our roster outside of duncan. And again it's been said on multiple sites they are after both Smith and Gooden.

:lmao

Joe Smith > Kurt Thomas?

Lay off the weed

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:30 AM
2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Oberto springs wide open free under the bucket for two layups.

Who was guarding Oberto?

Oberto had a back cut a game just about everygame in the 07 playoff run. Don't act like it was all of a sudden there when Gooden was guarding him.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:30 AM

Joe Smith > Kurt Thomas?

Lay off the weed

Kurt is better defensively and is a better rebounder. Smith is better offensively. With those two its pick or choose.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Oberto had a back cut a game just about everygame in the 07 playoff run. Don't act like it was all of a sudden there when Gooden was guarding him.

No but in game 4 desperate time, you leave your man wide open for a layup because you don't give that much of a shit on defense?

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
No but in game 4 desperate time, you leave your man wide open for a layup because you don't give that much of a shit on defense?

lol Oberto had wide open layups just about everygame. From the Denver series, to the suns series, to the jazz series. The Jazz series was Oberto's coming out party. Not the Cavs.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:34 AM
lol Oberto had wide open layups just about everygame. From the Denver series, to the suns series, to the jazz series. The Jazz series was Oberto's coming out party. Not the Cavs.

So through all those series you have tapes on the guy making that play, and you still leave him open?

Whatever, your too set in "gooden = golden god" to be talked to.

duncan228
Looking for help: According to one Western Conference executive, the Spurs are one of several championship contenders interested in signing forward Drew Gooden.

Gooden, acquired on trade deadline day by Sacramento, was released by the Kings on Sunday night, beating the league deadline for eligibility on another team’s playoff roster.

Gooden, a 6-foot-10 power forward in his seventh season, has had problems with a groin injury this season. He played his first game for the Kings on Feb. 25, when he scored 12 points and had 13 rebounds against Charlotte. But he left the game in the fourth period after aggravating the injury. He did not play in Sacramento’s next two games.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118437

whottt
Hey whottt, you're not alone. :smokin

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=378551

P.S.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21058

Good call but I don't see why you're advocating signing him now....it's just coveting points.

I'd rather sign Horry...

Hell, I actully like Joe Smith better...he's a Kevin Willis type dude, and he's at least willing to be an enforcer. Yeah I know he fucked with Drob...but compared to what Gooden's got to offer that's a positive.

PS: Anybody that can piss Drob off that bad has value to me IMHO, because that wasn't easy to do....Drob was about 2 seconds away from dunking Smith's ass.

timvp
03-02-2009, 01:37 AM
It's interesting whottt would be against signing Gooden considering Gooden is the less expensive, more skilled version of his man-crush Elson . . .

MaNu4Tres
[QUOTE=EricB;3155366]So through all those series you have tapes on the guy making that play, and you still leave him open?

It's called Tim Duncan having the ball.

whottt
I guess I'm just so inferior when it comes to common sense because I don't go to GTG or have a million posts. I watch a lot of games and with my common sense, the addition of drew gooden would improve the Spurs. That's just my opinion, which is just as good as yours. You don't have to agree with it. All i know is this. There's a reason why Pop and R.C are going after him.

Your common sense doesn't seem to understand that Ben Wallace has a broken femur and that that is a factor in the Cavs interest...why not?

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:38 AM
All i've said is Gooden would improve the Spurs with our thin frontline. I have yet to state Gooden is any sort of god.But again your being irrational once again.

Gooden is a solid rebounder. Second chance points killed us in the Lakers series last year.

For the minimum, signing gooden is a no brainer.

Sure sign him.

DOn't bitch about how many open layups to Gasol he gives up when he does.

crc21209
03-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't see why not. We could use him. Hell a big man rotation of TD, Bonner, Thomas, Gooden, and Oberto mixed in with some Pops sounds good to me. I think he just didnt care about D so much because he was on bad teams who didnt really emphasis it. He should be fine here with the guidance of TD and Pop.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Your common sense doesn't seem to understand that Ben Wallace has a broken femur and that that is a factor in the Cavs interest...why not?

Really ? lol I guess hes the only man that's 6'10" or taller that's available.

SequSpur
03-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Waive Jacque Vaughn and Udoka. Sign Gooden and Horry. Bonner can sell popcorn.

whottt
03-02-2009, 01:46 AM
It's interesting whottt would be against signing Gooden considering Gooden is the less expensive, more skilled version of his man-crush Elson . . .

Hmmm, I don't see the parallel at all. Elson was a loose cannon that could be disruptive as hell on both sides of the ball...Gooden is a scoring primadonna that stops caring the second the ball leaves his hands..

It's one thing for a guy to be a shitty defender, it's another thing for them to be flat out lazy in the defensive side of the ball...I just don't like Gooden's mix...it's not like he's a great offensive player.

And that "attitude" you spoke of has a lot to do with his defense.

Put it this way...if the Spurs sign Gooden, I predict you will see Pop go completely ape shit over this guy just flatout fucking tanking it on a defensive play like no other player has done in a Spurs Uniform during his tenure. Beyond all doubt this guy will be the worst defensive player to ever play for Pop...and he'll be that because of his attitude. I call that a waste of time and recipe for disaster. And that's saying someting when you consider Glenn Robinson played for the Spurs.

And Gooden hasn't been humbled yet like Bigg Dogg had...plus, Big Dogg was a better player....he was pure shooting gold. Gooden's just an asshat.

SequSpur
03-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Hmmm, I don't see the parallel at all. Elson was a loose cannon that could be disruptive as hell on both sides of the ball...Gooden is a scoring primadonna that stops caring the second the ball leaves his hands..

It's one thing for a guy to be a shitty defender, it's another thing for them to flat out lazy in the densive side of the ball...I just don't like Gooden's mix.

That "attitude" you spoke of has a lot to do with his defense.

Put it this way...if the Spurs sign Gooden, I predict you will see Pop go completely ape shit over this guy just flatout fucking tanking it on a defensive play like no other player has done in a Spurs Uniform during his tenure. Beyond all doubt this guy will be the worst defensive player to ever play for Pop...and he'll be that because of his attitude. I call that a waste of time and recipe for disaster. And that's saying someting when you consider Glenn Robinson played for the Spurs.

And Gooden hasn't been humbled yet like Bigg Dogg had...plus, Big Dogg was a better player....he was pure shooting gold. Gooden's just an asshat.

He is better than Oberto and Bonner... WTF? come on Beyonce.. upgrade.

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Gooden has $ to play for this summer. NBA players show up for that. Look at Bonner this year.

SequSpur
03-02-2009, 01:51 AM
groin injury... :rolleyes

MaNu4Tres

It's one thing for a guy to be a shitty defender, it's another thing for them to be flat out lazy in the defensive side of the ball...I just don't like Gooden's mix...it's not like he's a great offensive player.

And that "attitude" you spoke of has a lot to do with his defense.

Kind of like how Rodman was with the Spurs and that carried over when he went to play of a real winner in Chicago right?

Give the guy a chance especially for the minimum I can't see how you could be against singing a big that would be our 2nd or best rebounder and won't be a liability on the offensive end.

SScarrJ
.... Bonner is our starting center, defensively it can't get much worse. At least Gooden can hit the boards hard.

I don't see the downside in signing him.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:52 AM
.... Bonner is our starting center, defensively it can't get much worse. At least Gooden can hit the boards hard.

Amen

SequSpur
03-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Amen

to the father...

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Kind of like how Rodman was with the Spurs and that carried over when he went to play of a real winner in Chicago right?

Give the guy a chance especially for the minimum I can't see how you could be against singing a big that would be our 2nd or best rebounder and won't be a liability on the offensive end.

Now your confusing lazy with nuts.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:54 AM

Defensively Gooden is worse than Bonner.

YES. HE IS.

whottt
03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Really ? lol I guess hes the only man that's 6'10" or taller that's available.

Cavs are competing for a chapionship and he is extremely familiar with their team, they know him...and it saves them a lot of developing on the fly time.

Spurs aren't in their situation...

On top of that there's not much you can complain about offensively from Bonner...if you want more offense from that slot, tell Bonner to take more shots. But that's a bad option, because Bonner will be taking those shots away from players that are better than he is...

So will Gooden...difference is Bonner doesn't want to do that, whereas Gooden will have no such qualms, and he'll do it playing worse D than Bonner.

SequSpur
03-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Defensively Gooden is worse than Bonner.

YES. HE IS.

you have to much man love for a shitty player tpark. it blocks your sense of reality to what is actually going on. you need counseling.

crc21209
03-02-2009, 01:55 AM
OK if you look on this page:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122826

theres pics of Gooden and his pics with a Kings jersey on, it seems he shaved that horrible goatee off. lol. He can come now for sure...lol

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
you have to much man love for a shitty player tpark. it blocks your sense of reality to what is actually going on. you need counseling.

I have man love for no one. Deal with reality drunky.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM

Either that or some pie.

whottt
03-02-2009, 01:58 AM

No...Rodman was a DPOY award winner. That's about as far away from Gooden as you can get. And Gooden played for a real winner in Cleveland, or at least, they became a real one after dumping his ass.

Because everybody's rebounds go down playing alongside Duncan and when they come to the Spurs. Because Pop doesn't have his guys crash the offensive glass...and it's flat out fucking ludicrous to say Bonner is a liability on the offensive end...he most certainly is not(unless it's a pressure shot).

I'd much rather see Bonner taking shots that Drew Gooden...Bonner's making more of his.

EricB
03-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Either that or some pie.

Cute.

Any more insults Mrs. Gooden?

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm not sure what's been more amusing this week, Spurs fans turning a D-League scrub into a HOFer or being this picky about Drew Gooden. Of course, the punchline will be delivered when he signs with someone else.

Russ
Some good news on the Gooden front.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgCyaWhdAOF1zg_eWvSxT_68vLYF?slug=aw-goodenspurs030109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SequSpur
Cute.

Any more insults Mrs. Gooden?

yeah, think playoffs manlove... Bonner has no experience.

Dude, I get so frustrated with you guys on this Bonner crap, it's really pissing me off. Dude, he is terrible.

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm not sure what's been more amusing this week, Spurs fans turning a D-League scrub into a HOFer or being this picky about Drew Gooden. Of course, the punchline will be delivered when he signs with someone else.

There has never been a released player scoring over 10PPG that Marcus Bryant did not have a hard-on for. Ever.

He is a covetous fellow.

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 02:03 AM
or one who can pull down more than 8 boards a night.

Anyways, name some.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
No...Rodman was a DPOY award winner. That's about as far away from Gooden as you can get. And Gooden played for a real winner in Cleveland, or at least, they became a real one after dumping his ass.

I'd much rather see Bonner taking shots that Drew Gooden...Bonner's making more of his.

That wasn't my point. My point was Rodman was a disaster here in San Antonio and when he went under the guidance of Jordan he went to war for Jordan. Same could be said for Gooden with Tim by his side. Give the guy a chance.

Bonner makes more of his shots because of the fact that he has other players creating for him. Gooden doesn't have that luxury. Bonner isn't a liablity on the offensive end. I never said that.

EricB
03-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Does Memphis trying to help the Lakers screw the Spurs over by claiming Gooden? :lol

EricB
03-02-2009, 02:07 AM
That wasn't my point. My point was Rodman was a disaster here in San Antonio and when he went under the guidance of Jordan he went to war for Jordan. Same could be said for Gooden with Tim by his side. Give the guy a chance.

Bonner makes more of his shots because of the fact that he has other players creating for him. Gooden doesn't have that luxury. Bonner isn't a liablity on the offensive end. I never said that.

So now Gooden can create his own shot?!

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 02:09 AM
I guess I did want to see the Spurs pull that scrub Barry after he was waived last year.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:10 AM
So now Gooden can create his own shot?!

He can from the high post. He has the ability to pump fake and get past his defender and create or finish strong at the rim. So yes in that case he can create his own shot more so than any other big man we have outside of Duncan and he is a better rebounder than every one of them. Rebounding is an assett to having a strong solid defense. Last year we didn't have that when Radmonovic Walton and Odom were all over the glass giving the lakers several second chance opportunities.

Austin_Toros
03-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Even if Gooden doesn't play D, his rebound and certain scoring skills would still be useful.
Would he help more than Joe Smith?

EricB
03-02-2009, 02:14 AM
He can from the high post. He has the ability to pump fake and get past his defender and create or finish strong at the rim. So yes in that case he can create his own shot more so than any other big man we have outside of Duncan and he is a better rebounder than every one of them. Rebounding is an assett to having a strong solid defense. Last year we didn't have that when Radmonovic Walton and Odom were all over the glass.

Wow you guys are gonna be dissapointed if he signs.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:14 AM

Actually I'd be happy if he does sign. What is there to lose?

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:15 AM

Yeah but you overlook something...Rodman provided the Bulls what they needed on a team built around two dominant perimeter scorers, rebounding and interior defense... and didn't really give the Spurs what they needed, outside shooting. I mean he was a defensive pest...and the Spurs already had a DPOY, on top of that they had a coach too stupid to actually utilize Rodman in that capacity. Beyond all that...Rodman wanted to be center stage on a team that hated the limelight...he got his center stage in Chicago.

It's not really the same thing at all...Dennis Rodman was a much better, smarter, basketball player than Gooden ever will be.

And I don't see our rebounding as a real big negative for us this year....this team is good enough that you can get really choosy and specific about what it's problems are....it's problems are perimeter shooting against the Lakers. If we fail to win a title this year, that's going to be why(assuming good health).

It's not easy to do what Bonner is doing this year, even if you have Magic, Wilt and Jordan creating the plays for you. It's not just due to them...dude is a career 40% shooter from 3.

EricB
03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Actually I'd be happy if he does sign. What is there to lose?

PT for players suited to Spurs basketball better than him.

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:19 AM
I guess I did want to see the Spurs pull that scrub Barry after he was waived last year.

2006 called...it wants it's whottt hotbuttons back. It also wants you to tell timvp to return his too. :td

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:20 AM
[/QUOTE] It's not easy to do what Bonner is doing this year, even if you have Magic, Wilt and Jordan creating the plays for you. It's not just due to them...dude is a career 40% shooter from 3.[/QUOTE]

Bonner is a Great spot up shooting big man.Nothing more nothing less, even though he has added the occasional old man pump fake and running layup in his arsenal( which I find amusing).

Gooden has more talent offensively than Bonner ( outside of 3 point shooting). I wasn't degrading Bonner's spot up shooting. Dude is very efficient.

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
2006 called...it wants it's whottt hotbuttons back. It also wants you to tell timvp to return his too. :td

My bad. I did forget about your 'Kersey for Rahim' jihad back in the day.

TheSpursFNRule
03-02-2009, 02:26 AM

Everything I read by you I disagree with. Shut the fuck your wrong get over it. Gooden will help this team.

lurker23
03-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Gooden has $ to play for this summer. NBA players show up for that. Look at Bonner this year.

I agree with your point, but Bonner still has 1 year left on his contract for '09-'10.

tim_duncan_fan
03-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Gooden would help.

We only have one good frontcourt player on this team and he can't do it alone. The other guys are bonafied scrubs.

We have to get Bonner some help inside. :)

No, seriously though, Gooden could really help take some of the pressure off Tim down low. We should sign him if we can.

KidCongo
03-02-2009, 02:39 AM
He can from the high post. He has the ability to pump fake and get past his defender and create or finish strong at the rim. So yes in that case he can create his own shot more so than any other big man we have outside of Duncan and he is a better rebounder than every one of them. Rebounding is an assett to having a strong solid defense. Last year we didn't have that when Radmonovic Walton and Odom were all over the glass giving the lakers several second chance opportunities.

He doesn't finish strong at the rim that often. Has decent baseline jumper. He is a solid rebounder, that's his best asset.

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Tim Duncan doesn't need anyone down low to take the pressure off of him...frankly that's an insult Duncan. That has never been the Spurs problem since they drafted him. What Tim Duncan freaking needs are guys that are going to draw bodies out of the paint...that's all he needs. That's all he ever really needs.

Look...I may not be a Rocket Scientist, but I can sit there and look and see that since 1999 the Spurs have been eliminated 5 times in the playoffs...one of those times was due to Gregg Poppovich falling out of the stupid tree and hitting every fucking branch on the way down...

The other 4 times it's happened, it's been to the LA Lakers, annd it's been because we had multiple perimeter shooters fail when left WIDE open from the arc.

It's really not complicated at all...

Gooden does not fix that...to tell you the truth, I'm not sure Horry fixes it(though he won't be left open)...Brent Barry would, but it doesn't appear he sucks bad enough for the Rockets to let go of him(even thogh I'm sure Barry is pissed about now he's getting the same treatement from Adelman he got from Pop).

So I'm just not that hyped about Gooden...I'd rather have an enforcer than some guy that's going to jack up shots and be a liability on D.

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Hey...how come Cleveland went after(and evidentally signed) Joe Smith first if Gooden was the guy they wanted?

That's telling if that's what has actually happened...because there's no doubt he'd be better for them than any other team he signs with due to LeBron knowing how to maximize his offensive production....not to mention familiarity with their system.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:45 AM
He doesn't finish strong at the rim that often. Has decent baseline jumper. He is a solid rebounder, that's his best asset.

He finishes strong at the rim for Spurs' standards.

timvp
03-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Brent Barry would2009 called. He wants to remind you that your supposed to not be obsessed with Barry any longer.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:48 AM
The other 4 times it's happened, it's been to the LA Lakers, annd it's been because we had multiple perimeter shooters fail when left WIDE open from the arc.

It's really not complicated at all...

Gooden does not fix that...to tell you the truth, I'm not sure Horry fixes it...Brent Barry would, but it doesn't appear he sucks bad enough for the Rockets to let go of him(even thogh I'm sure Barry is pissed about now he's getting the same treatement from Adelman he got from Pop).

Yes and No. Defense wins championships. Limiting offensive opportunities helps win championships. You limit offense opportunites by not giving up second chance opportunities by rebounding the basketball. Thats what Drew Gooden can do to help win Duncan his 5th. And yes rebounding was a weakness in the Lakers series and will be again with their length.

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:49 AM
2009 called. He wants to remind you that your supposed to not be obsessed with Barry any longer.

:lmao I'm not...but he can make shots against LA(and not just in 40 point blowouts like the Devin Brown Show).

When we get Finleyed this time...remember that you asked for it.

whottt
03-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Yes and No. Defense wins championships. Limiting offense opportunities helps win championships. You limit offense opportunites by not giving up second chance opportunities by rebounding the basketball. Thats what Drew Gooden can do to help win Duncan his 5th. And yes rebounding was a weakness in the Lakers series and will be again with their length.

The reason nobody rebounds is pretty much because of our offensive glass, and Pop sends only Duncan for that purpose. Gooden's rebounding is going to go into the toilet just like it has for every other rebounder that's played alongside Duncan not named David Robinson. Duncan is a defensive rebounding vacume..any ball that doesn't go to the perimeter goes to him of straight into the hands of our opponents.

Furthermore...Oberto, Bonner and Thomas all box out to the best of their ability. I don't think I've ever seen Gooden box out before. I'm sure he's done it..it just coincidentally hasn't happened in any of the 20-25 games I 've seen him play.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 02:56 AM
The reason nobody rebounds is pretty much because of our offensive glass, and Pop sends only Duncan for that purpose. Gooden's rebounding is going to go into the toilet just like it has for every other rebounder that's played alongside Duncan not named David Robinson. Duncan is a defensive rebounding vacume..any ball that doesn't go to the perimeter goes to him of straight into the hands of our opponents.

I'm not talking about offensive rebounds. I'm talking about helping secure defensive stands and limiting the opponents offensive opportunities. And no Duncan can't do it alone it showed last year especially in the Lakers series.

Blackjack
03-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Wow, I can't believe the amount of objection to the prospect of Gooden on the Spurs.

He costs nothing, he's one of the better offensive rebounding bigs in the league, he can put the ball in the hole, and he'd be playing for his next contract.

WTF is so terrible about that?

Is he the prototypical Spur? No.

Is he a great defender? No.

Is he a talented big with the capability of helping the cause? Of course he is. (Well, depending on the groin situation)

The guy did manage to start for one of the better defensive teams in the league while playing in a system not too unlike the Spurs en route to the finals, so while his defense is less than ideal, he's at least capable of being adequate.

There aint a whole lot of options out there to be had, so if they can land Gooden for a bag of chips? The Spurs could do a lot worse.

If he comes here and is able to rebound at his regular rate, hit his mid-range jumpers, and pick up some fouls on the opponents frontline, he'd be a pretty decent stop-gap.

Spork KIller
03-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Wow, I can't believe the amount of objection to the prospect of Gooden on the Spurs.

He costs nothing, he's one of the better offensive rebounding bigs in the league, he can put the ball in the hole, and he'd be playing for his next contract.

Is he a talented big with the capability of helping the cause? Of course he is. (Well, depending on the groin situation)

The guy did manage to start for one of the better defensive teams in the league while playing in a system not too unlike the Spurs en route to the finals, so while his defense is less than ideal, he's at least capable of being adequate.

There aint a whole lot of options out there to be had, so if they can land Gooden for a bag of chips? The Spurs could do a lot worse.

If he comes here and is able to rebound at his regular rate, hit his mid-range jumpers, and pick up some fouls on the opponents frontline, he'd be a pretty decent stop-gap.

Kill yourself dumbass!

completely deck
03-02-2009, 03:17 AM
nice insight

whottt
03-02-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm not talking about offensive rebounds. I'm talking about helping secure defensive stands and limiting the opponents offensive opportunities. And no Duncan can't do it alone it showed last year especially in the Lakers series.

But I'm telling yout that's why no one rebounds when they come to the Spurs.

The only guy whose boards went up when joining gthe Spurs in the Duncan era were Rasho's...and if you look, it was his offensive rebounds that made the huge jump, and that's because Pop was sending him after them and he had an easy go of it being paried with Duncan.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nestera01.html

Check out Rasho's numbers...by far his career high in offensive boards, by like over a 100 offensive boards.

And he's the only guy whose boards have jumped or even stayed the same with paired with Duncan in the paint.

Gooden is going to pull down the same 4-6 boards every one else does...hide and watch.

Blackjack
03-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Kill yourself dumbass!

:rolleyes

:wakeup

:troll

whottt
03-02-2009, 03:30 AM
Anyway...sign him or don't. I'm not really that worried about his bringing his asshattery on the court and fucking up a game...because this guy is going to set the record for being doghoused by Pop. I give it 2 weeks top.

I mean I think Pop get too hung upon D at times and give some players a free pass..and this guys D actually pissed me off in a game when he was playing for the opposing team.

He's just...shit. That's the best way to describe him on the defensive side of the ball.

So he will get doghoused.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 03:31 AM
But I'm telling yout that's why no one rebounds when they come to the Spurs.

The only guy whose boards went up when joining gthe Spurs in the Duncan era were Rasho's...and if you look, it was his offensive rebounds that made the huge jump, and that's because Pop was sending him after them and he had an easy go of it being paried with Duncan.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nestera01.html

Check out Rasho's numbers...by far his career high in offensive boards, by like over a 100 offensive boards.

And he's the only guy whose boards have jumped or even stayed the same with paired with Duncan in the paint.

I don't agree. Gooden is a very efficient rebounder. Far superior than any big man we've had at rebounding since Robinson in 03'. That one factor will help us against LA due to their length. I guess i may be overreacting, but second chance opportunities are the devil. Going to war for 24 seconds defensively only to see a missed shot go in the hands of the opponent for another 24. That hurts. I could care less about offensive rebounds or Rasho's numbers. Rasho isn't in Gooden's league when it comes to rebounding rate.

angelbelow
03-02-2009, 03:31 AM
udoka please.

whottt
03-02-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't agree. Gooden is a very efficient rebounder. Far superior than any big man we've had at rebounding since Robinson in 03'.

And I'd disagree with that and say Kurt Thomas is the best, especially when it comes to the fundamentals of rebounding...and you see what's happened to his boards.

In fact there is nothing that Drew Gooden can give us that Kurt Thomas can't that really important in terms of winning a title.

Incidentally...Marcus Bryant and Timvp also had a hardon for Kurt Thomas at this time last year...

Note how the honeymoon is long since over for my covetous Spurs brethren.

That one factor will help us against LA due to their length. I guess i may be overreacting, but second chance opportunities are the devil. Going to war for 24 seconds defensively only to see a missed shot go in the hands of the opponent for another 24. That hurts. I could care less about offensive rebounds or Rasho's numbers. Rasho isn't in Gooden's league when it comes to rebounding rate.

Yeah..as pointed out earlier, this dingbat once dunked the ball in the opponents basket...he doesn't belong on the same court as a Phil Jackson coached team. It's much better to have smart player that can't do shit on the court against them then an idiot who can jump.

Edit: And don't worry, the chances of Pop putting this guy on the court against LA in a playoff game in which we aren't down by 20 are slim and none.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 03:48 AM
And I'd disagree with that and say Kurt Thomas is the best, especially when it comes to the fundamentals of rebounding...and you see what's happened to his boards.

In fact there is nothing that Drew Gooden can give us that Kurt Thomas can't that really important in terms of winning a title.

Incidentally...Marcus Bryant and Timvp also had a hardon for Kurt Thomas at this time last year...

Note how the honeymoon is long since over for my covetous Spurs brethren.

Kurt hardly got time last year against LA because of his lack of footspeed to stay infront of Odom. And Kurt hardly gets time in the first place (15-18 mpg) . Plus Gooden has had a higher rebounding rate than Kurt just about every year including this year. Plus he also brings scoring in more ways than Kurt and he can run the floor with Manu and Tony,

Here's another opinion on what gooden brings to the table over Kurt.

And Gooden does offer plenty of good.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2009/2/25/771131/what-drew-gooden-brings-an

* He's a very good rebounder at power forward. He comes in as the best rebounder on the roster (a bit better than Jason Thompson overall, moreso on the defensive glass). Sacramento desperately needs rebounding help up front, even with Mikki Moore gone.

* He's a strong frontline scorer. Per minute, Gooden is a better scorer than every King but Kevin Martin. He's about even with Francisco Garcia and Andres Nocioni. Depending on how Nocioni and Garcia adapt and what line-ups Kenny Natt plays, scoring help is necessary. Gooden's a strong answer -- again, a bit more prolific than Thompson.

In other words. Gooden brings more to the table than Kurt.

whottt
03-02-2009, 03:56 AM
In other words. Gooden brings more to the table than Kurt.

IOW, you are talking about a town and team that considered itself lucky to have Beno Udrih fall into their hands..and they acually waived Gooden.

afireinside20
03-02-2009, 03:57 AM
I think he's be a good fit, he can learn to play better defense.

angelbelow
03-02-2009, 04:00 AM
defense is important, but even though gooden is known as a poor defender, he still gives us a different weapon. we have kurt and oberto for defense, and gooden will provide offense. its too hard to find a perfectly well rounded player, we just have to settled for the most talented.

TheSpursFNRule
03-02-2009, 04:01 AM
Drew Gooden is better than MJ.

alamo50
03-02-2009, 04:49 AM
WTF have you guys been smoking?????
Gooden is an automatic double-double every night.
Sign him right now and get rid of....... HEY, I don´t get paid to make these decissions!

TheSpursFNRule
03-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Sign him right now and get rid of....... HEY, I don´t get paid to make these decissions!

Finally sense is being maid.

Thomas82
03-02-2009, 06:32 AM

Definately a good way to look at it.

westbound17
03-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Waive Udoka..we have lots of him!

KidCongo
03-02-2009, 07:32 AM

Auto double-double, BS!

smrattler
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
isn't the answer obvious?
it comes down to either Udoka or Pops.
we need the third PG that has experience in case Hill doesn't react well to the stage.

as for Udoka and Pops, one is on a ten day contract, the other was a FA signing two summers ago under contract. our owners don't like throwing money out the window.

bye-bye Pops. :(

Brazil
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
isn't the answer obvious?
it comes down to either Udoka or Pops.
we need the third PG that has experience in case Hill doesn't react well to the stage.

as for Udoka and Pops, one is on a ten day contract, the other was a FA signing two summers ago under contract. our owners don't like throwing money out the window.

bye-bye Pops. :(

:bang I'd prefer waive Hairston than Pops. Gooden as a spurs ... well let's trust pop but this guy plays no defense at all.

alamo50
03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Auto double-double, BS!

You are right, I forgot the Blocked Shot!

Fermixalot
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao

I say give Gooden a shot. For the peanuts they'd be getting him for, why not?

stxspurs
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
if pops is let go....nobody else can pick him up, correct ? does he go back to toros to learn more of the spurs system? i really havent seen anyone this athletic in awhile. i dont want to lose him till he has a legit shot to make the team.

Russ
03-02-2009, 10:52 AM
moved

Creation88
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
he avgs 13 and 8. what's there not to like.

Dex
03-02-2009, 10:56 AM
He'd be a better option at center than the bagger and custodian we have filling the position right now. :lol

Brazil
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
he avgs 13 and 8. what's there not to like.

in 30 mpg I don't think he is gonna have 30 mpg with the spurs

stéphane
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I know we're not supposed to be "Fort Alamo" still but Gooden? Please
He plays NO defense.
We could traded Tony for Nash and Bruce for Vujacic and rename us the San Antonio Suns while we're at it.

angelbelow
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
waive udoka... imo hes the only one we can afford to lose..

vander
03-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Bonner > Gooden

Ocotillo
03-02-2009, 11:31 AM
waive udoka... imo hes the only one we can afford to lose..

Obviously, you are not signing the paychecks......,

Sincerely,

Peter Holt

Spursmania
03-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Sincerely,

Peter Holt

Correctemundo, to the tune of several hundred thousand, I believe. Unfortunately, I don't think the Spurs are going to waive Udoka since they will not want to depart with 500k just to keep Pops. I think Pops will get waived.

angelbelow
03-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Sincerely,

Peter Holt

=(

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Correctemundo, to the tune of several hundred thousand, I believe. Unfortunately, I don't think the Spurs are going to waive Udoka since they will not want to depart with 500k just to keep Pops. I think Pops will get waived.

No, not the People's Champ! :wtf

The older I get the less faith I have in the people.

MarHill
03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Marcus,

This is the best post in the entire thread!! :lmao

Spurs fans are trying to be uppity....when they can get a guy who can fill a need!!

Yuixafun
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Gooden would help... he's a rebounder, has been since his college days that's who he is. It's in his DNA. He can hit the mid-range shot, and he's played in a similar Spurs system with Cleveland... big plus especially with how notorious it is for fresh players to come in and taking a year to intergrate.

If he can grab that crucial rebound that prevents a second scoring chance I'll be happy. I'm sure he'll improve his defense with Timmy backing him up and the Spurs schemes.

We need to try at least. Keeping Udoka(?) at the expense of taking a chance on someone who increase our threshold for victory would be foolish.

Staying pat is not good enough to win, unless some of our players find a new level in themselves.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I can't believe people are actually against getting Gooden LOL..if we get him, it'll be slightly more than the veteran's minimum IMO..that's a great bargain..

everybody knows Gooden is a horrible defender, but most of that is due to motivation..I wouldn't expect him to come in here and become a good defender under Pop, but he could be passable..if Bonner became passable, Gooden can with more effort, which is the only thing preventing him from being an above average defender..it's obviously nothing physical..

the problem with Gooden is the attitude in general, and the attitude towards defense..other than that, he's a solid addition..he's taller than Kurt, much bigger than Bonner, and plays with a lot more balls than Oberto..he's a huge upgrade offensively and on the boards, which is very helpful..

for the contract he'll be getting, it's a no brainer..

SenorSpur
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Anybody know why Cleveland soured on Gooden?

TheProfessor
03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
:bang I'd prefer waive Hairston than Pops. Gooden as a spurs ... well let's trust pop but this guy plays no defense at all.
Hell no, Hairston is taking Ime's place next year.

SenorSpur
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Exactly.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Anybody know why Cleveland soured on Gooden?

effort, defense, attitude wasn't good enough for the amount he was getting paid..

Gooden was NOT worth his contract, which is the main problem with him..everybody acknowledges that he's very talented..

rayray2k8
03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Udoka...
That was easy. :lol
Close this thread.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
effort, defense, attitude wasn't good enough for the amount he was getting paid..

Gooden was NOT worth his contract, which is the main problem with him..everybody acknowledges that he's very talented..

I'm pretty sure Larry Hughes contract had to due with much of it as well.

Spurminator
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Why are we comparing Gooden to Bonner/Thomas/Oberto? If he comes here, he will replace Pops Mensah-Bonsu. He might not even play most nights. He'll have the Melvin Ely role.

That works for me... I don't know that Pops is ready for prime time yet, and if the Spurs brass doesn't think so either, and they'd rather take their chances on Gooden, I'm inclined to trust that decision.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
well I'm not aware of their salary situation at the time, so that could be a reason too..I was just speaking based on why Gooden was no longer wanted there..

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Why are we comparing Gooden to Bonner/Thomas/Oberto? If he comes here, he will replace Pops Mensah-Bonsu. He might not even play most nights. He'll have the Melvin Ely role.

That works for me... I don't know that Pops is ready for prime time yet, and if the Spurs brass doesn't think so either, and they'd rather take their chances on Gooden, I'm inclined to trust that decision.

if Gooden comes here, there's absolutely no way he's taking an Ely role..he's a better player than Bonner and Oberto..

Rain318
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Just knowing the spurs organization they are gnna try their hardest to get Smith and reality is they well probably waive Pops :(

Spurminator
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
if Gooden comes here, there's absolutely no way he's taking an Ely role..he's a better player than Bonner and Oberto..

No one thought Melvin Ely would be given the Melvin Ely role either. I think Pop will opt for Bonner and Oberto's system experience over Gooden. We'll see.

SenorSpur
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
If Pop isn't going to use the guy, there's no sense in bringing him here. We're going to need ALL hands on deck to beat down the taller frontlines of the West.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
No one thought Melvin Ely would be given the Melvin Ely role either. I think Pop will opt for Bonner and Oberto's system experience over Gooden. We'll see.

After the trade which sent Eric Williams to Charlotte, Pop said on the radio and on WOAI that basically they traded a bench warmer for a bench warmer. In other words he had a plan for Ely and the plan didn't include a crack in the rotation. That told us about what his role would be from the get go.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Drew Gooden is a legit NBA starter..he has major flaws on defense, but he's not Melvin Ely..he's actually very talented, it's just the mental part of the game in which he struggles at..

Gooden has never averaged less than 27-28 MPG playing for teams, why would he be a bench warmer?..

xtremesteven33
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
If this guy signs with us one of our other bigs will have very limited minutes.

Looks like its either gonna be Oberto or Thomas.

Darkwaters
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Oberto: He already has very limited minutes.

xtremesteven33
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I was hoping Pop would insert Oberto back in the starting lineup.

Oberto and Bowen in the lineup make us into championship contenders.

NFGIII
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
If this guy signs with us one of our other bigs will have very limited minutes.

Looks like its either gonna be Oberto or Thomas.

I believe it would be Oberto since KT gets more rebounds and points.

From what I've read isn't the deadline for signing a player that would be playoff eligible over? Players have to be signed by March 1 to be eligible or am I mistaken? If that is true then why even think of bringing in a player now? Even if he were to help in getting somes more Ws it wouldn't make sense because that would disrupt the chemistry of the team going into the playoffs.
Doesn't that sound detrimental to our success come playoff time?

Spurminator
03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Drew Gooden is a legit NBA starter..he has major flaws on defense, but he's not Melvin Ely..he's actually very talented, it's just the mental part of the game in which he struggles at..

Gooden has never averaged less than 27-28 MPG playing for teams, why would he be a bench warmer?..

Because he struggles at the mental and defensive parts of the game.

I'm not saying he'll never play, I'm just saying he's not going to replace Bonner as a starter and he's only going to get a few of Oberto/Thomas' minutes. If he averages more than 10 mpg and plays every game, I will be surprised. I'll also be happy because it means he's contributing.

Man In Black
03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I believe it would be Oberto since KT gets more rebounds and points.

From what I've read isn't the deadline for signing a player that would be playoff eligible over? Players have to be signed by March 1 to be eligible or am I mistaken? If that is true then why even think of bringing in a player now? Even if he were to help in getting somes more Ws it wouldn't make sense because that would disrupt the chemistry of the team going into the playoffs.
Doesn't that sound detrimental to our success come playoff time?
Paraphrasing from FWD...

If a player is waived before 3/1. That's all that matters. As long as a player is under contract somewhere before the end of the regular season, he is eligible to be on that team's playoff roster. Doesn't matter where he goes, he'll be eligible.

Hemotivo
03-02-2009, 02:02 PM
waive pops

NFGIII
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Paraphrasing from FWD...

Thanks - was a bit confusing there.

The Truth #6
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I was hoping Pop would insert Oberto back in the starting lineup.

Oberto and Bowen in the lineup make us into championship contenders.

Oberto and Bowen would have problems starting for over half the teams in the league. I don't see how they will somehow propel us to a championship. As usual, it's going to be up to the Big 3 to play like monsters to take us to the next level.

dbestpro
03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Its hilarious that people think that out of position Bonner, slow of foot Oberto or Thomas somehow provides better D than what Gooden brings. He may not be David Robiinson but he ain't no slug either.

ss1986v2
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Its hilarious that people think that out of position Bonner, slow of foot Oberto or Thomas somehow provides better D than what Gooden brings. He may not be David Robiinson but he ain't no slug either.

actually, he shows the defensive acuity of a slug, so that was a pretty apt comparison.

xtremesteven33
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Oberto and Bowen would have problems starting for over half the teams in the league. I don't see how they will somehow propel us to a championship. As usual, it's going to be up to the Big 3 to play like monsters to take us to the next level.

yea we won in 2007 with Bowen and Oberto in the lineup BRAH

K-State Spur
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

all 3 of those guys are better defenders than gooden...and it's not particularly close.

bonner at least gives effort on that end of the floor. gooden's a good athlete, but he's got one of the lowest basketball IQs in all the league. maybe one of the lowest IQs period.

dbestpro
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Gooden is a major up grade offensively and defensively over the ole' defense.

mobile bigs Bynum 7-0, Odom 6-10, Gasol 7-0
mobile bigs Duncan 6-11

Add 6-10 Gooden or go with Oberto, Thomas and Bonner and the slow foot ole' defense.
nuf said.

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 02:57 PM

mobile bigs Duncan 6-11

Add 6-10 Gooden or go with Oberto, Thomas and Bonner and the slow foot ole' defense.
nuf said.

Basically.

ss1986v2
03-02-2009, 02:59 PM

mobile bigs Duncan 6-11

nuf said.
gooden is currently the master of the ole defenders. he simply stands flat footed as his man barrels past.

being able to move your feet and being willing to move your feet are two different things.

for the record, im fine with signing gooden, but its not for his defense...

Marcus Bryant
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
The footspeed matters moreso as it relates to tracking down long boards and loose balls. He's not going to shut anyone down, but if he limits the freaking 2nd chance opportunities for opponents that will be a big help.

VI_Massive
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
1. I think we're going to take Gooden and say goodbye to PMB for now.

2. We need some better offense and rebounding from a big for those times when Timmy's not on the court. Like it or not, TD won't play 48 minutes a night from here to the end of the season. We need some kind of offense and rebounding inside for those times. Bonner doesn't rebound well and the only offense he provides is outside. Thomas is good on D and OK on rebounding but gets his points from an inconsistent mid-range jumper. Oberto provides some decent D and is only occasionally contributive on the offensive side.

3. Gooden won't be pretty. He might make some bonehead plays that lead Pop to nail him to the bench. But the fact is, we need someone inside who can be a threat to score and pull down some rebounds. He's a veteran who played for a while on a team with a system closest to ours (Cavs).

4. Did anyone on this board REALLY think PMB would get any meaningful time in the playoffs? Pops wouldn't put him in until about 8 mins. left in yesterday's game. There's no way PMB would see any playoff time unless catastrophic injuries hobbled our other frontline players. With Gooden, there's at least a chance he could play some productive, meaningful minutes in the playoffs. There's a chance his bad D and general stupidity would lead Pop to keep him on the bench indefinitely, but there's also a chance this might not happen. With PMB, I think its certain he would see no meaningful time in the playoffs. Pop just doesn't play young guys who are new to the system.

5. So I think we're all just going to have to bite the Gooden bullet and hope for the best. Hope we can coach his D up a bit, hope he doesn't do stupid shit like forget who he's guarding or whatever. The fact remains though, he is a legitimate scoring and rebounding big man. He's done it in the league for years. I know SA plays by a different set of rules and many "legit" NBA players would never see the floor for us and vice versa, but I think its fair to say for we SA fans and the team, anything less than a championship is failure, and Gooden is a chance we'll have to take to compete against the best in the West and East.

xtremesteven33
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I dont see how this is even a close arguement

Gooden > Pops

lurker23
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
1. I think we're going to take Gooden and say goodbye to PMB for now.

2. We need some better offense and rebounding from a big for those times when Timmy's not on the court. Like it or not, TD won't play 48 minutes a night from here to the end of the season. We need some kind of offense and rebounding inside for those times. Bonner doesn't rebound well and the only offense he provides is outside. Thomas is good on D and OK on rebounding but gets his points from an inconsistent mid-range jumper. Oberto provides some decent D and is only occasionally contributive on the offensive side.

3. Gooden won't be pretty. He might make some bonehead plays that lead Pop to nail him to the bench. But the fact is, we need someone inside who can be a threat to score and pull down some rebounds. He's a veteran who played for a while on a team with a system closest to ours (Cavs).

4. Did anyone on this board REALLY think PMB would get any meaningful time in the playoffs? Pops wouldn't put him in until about 8 mins. left in yesterday's game. There's no way PMB would see any playoff time unless catastrophic injuries hobbled our other frontline players. With Gooden, there's at least a chance he could play some productive, meaningful minutes in the playoffs. There's a chance his bad D and general stupidity would lead Pop to keep him on the bench indefinitely, but there's also a chance this might not happen. With PMB, I think its certain he would see no meaningful time in the playoffs. Pop just doesn't play young guys who are new to the system.

5. So I think we're all just going to have to bite the Gooden bullet and hope for the best. Hope we can coach his D up a bit, hope he doesn't do stupid shit like forget who he's guarding or whatever. The fact remains though, he is a legitimate scoring and rebounding big man. He's done it in the league for years. I know SA plays by a different set of rules and many "legit" NBA players would never see the floor for us and vice versa, but I think its fair to say for we SA fans and the team, anything less than a championship is failure, and Gooden is a chance we'll have to take to compete against the best in the West and East.

:tu Very good post.

AFBlue
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
How did this get to eight pages? The only guy on a 10-day contract is going to get cut if the Spurs add someone...anyone.

Tully365
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Gooden isn't a star by any means but he is a legitimate nba player, and at the very least would be an incredibly cheap insurance policy for the Spurs. Even if he could help out for five minutes in one playoff game, he'd be worth it.

Whottt's typical melodramatic histrionic outburst sounds exactly like his pre-presidential election posts, where he was absolutely certain that the USA would never elect a man with a strange sounding middle name. He was wrong then, and he's wrong now.

Brazil
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm not totally in the Hairston bandwagon. I'm not sure he has what it takes to be a nba player even if at this stage having him instead of Ime is an upgrade.
I'd prefer staying with Pops. Of course we don't know that if he is nba material but at least he has the height, this kind of height and athletism is not so commun nowadays to let him go.

manu_maniac
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm just going to say that I'd like Pops to stay if we sign anyone else, but if we do, he's most likely to go since he's on a 10-day. I think Gooden is a good pick-up that could improve our squad, but he has to be willing to shave that ridiculous beard.

Also, I'd like to clarify that Ben Wallace has a broken fibula, NOT a femur. He'd be fucked if it was his femur, but that would be pretty much impossible in a b-ball game. Didn't anyone pay attention in anatomy class?

superbigtime
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I could care less about his crazy and heinous medusa beard. I kind of like it. He could have a horn growing out of his head for all I care. Just rebound the damn ball and score against opponents like when he has played against us.

SpursFanFirst
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Gooden pretty much sucks total ass as a defensive player. I don't know why anyone wants the Spurs to sign him.

Because many people on this site are so desperate for the Spurs to do SOMETHING.
As long as he has some sort of name recognition, he must be good...right? :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
we need another big, it doesn't matter who it is..getting Drew Gooden on a cheap contract is a great move, it doesn't really make a difference what the negative people think..I haven't seen a good argument against it..

galvatron3000
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
But yeah, despite Gooden's negatives, signing him basically for free isn't something the Spurs can pass on.

I agree with this just personally hope they would waive Udoka simply because he isn't going to help them, not currently in the rotation and need Bigs more. By the way he is likely to not be re-signed. I think we have plenty on the perimeter even with Manu hurt.

Nathan Explosion
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Last night my brother, my cousin and myself kept yelling, "Put in Pops!"

When they finally did, all we kept saying was "Lob it up!" even before the ball past the halfcourt line.

Look, the guy is athletic as hell and had a nice debut. What we can gather from that is the guy is athletic as hell and had a nice debut in meaningless minutes.

Could the guy be good? Sure. Could he suck? Sure. Who knows?

I just think that posters here have made him out to be way more than he is at the moment.

Spursone
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
:blahI'd say by by to Usucka and keep Pops who has some rawness. Gooden could not be any worse than Fab or Kurt. :flag:

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2009, 10:54 PM

Popovich spoke at length with Gooden during the courtship process that followed his release by the Kings.

“Pop and Drew had some great conversations through this whole process, from both perspectives,” Buford said. “The feedback I got is that they both felt really comfortable with each other.”

Popovich told Gooden the Spurs not only wanted him on their roster, they needed him to have their best shot at winning another championship.

“It was knowing there is want for me here,” Gooden said of his talks with his new head coach. “Not just ‘We’re glad you’re here.’ It was more like, ‘We need you here, and not just for this season.’

“Hearing that was something I was looking for. It wasn’t just ‘Help us try to win a championship this year and then we’ll see what happens in the summer.’.”

Looks like you were right on this one whott